• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AirikrStrife

Bergakungen
20 Badges
Jul 30, 2010
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
So I been over this before and are doing it one last time - The caucasus region that gotten it's second overhaul in thepersia patch. While doing a lot of good, it still didn't go all the way. I know made a new small mod showing how a couple of extra changes can bring some more life into the region.

As of CoC it did get a lot of attention, with a rework of Georgia, Azerbaijan and Kurdistan/Armenia. Adding more countries and provinces creates a better depths of action and strategy to the previous 4/5 countries that solely stood squized between the powerful hordes. I still think a little bit of extra attention could provide something good to work with.

North Caucasus:
20180108175147_1.jpg

New provinces and Countries, but most importantly of all, the darial gorge allowing access through central caucasus. Creating a pass between Kartli and Alania.

To the north there has laso been some remarkable changes, Circassia is now split in 2 countries, west - Adyghea (sry forgot to change localisation) and east Kabardia. This reflect political and cultural areas of the circassia area, there the western part speaking west circassian languages were never united, while eastern part speaking Kabardin eastern dialect of Circassian, had a stronger political unity.

For the 1444 start I choose to use the sem-mythical king Inal as ruler of Kabardia with good stats.

I also made both states tribal federations, this better fits their political structure (at least the western part while tribal monarchy might be better for Kabardia, but I opted for federation or else they'd be too disadantaged)
Also the horse focus that tribal federation has is very fitting for the equestrian cricassian societies.

Going along with country changes, both countries now also start out as Tengri. In this case Tengri is used as a generic religion for eurasian pagans and shouldn't be hold literally. North caucasian society had had christian phases and both catholicism and orthodox christianity were present but at heart the circassian people remained pagan until conversation to islam.
It is also to prevent circassia form staying orthodox the whole game (as they conversed to islam during the timeline) and also do use of the syncretisism mechanic which is very fitting for the religious society of circassian, unlike the orthodox metropolitans and icons which is modelled on orthodox monarchies. While giving the possibility to adapt the foreign policy in favor of orthodox russia and south caucasus, catholic genoa or the muslim powers.
Only province of Alania remains orthodox.

New provinces are:
Splitting current Adyghea province into two, one Ubykhia province 8georgian dynamic name: Jiqeti) and one Shapshugia province. The main circassian province has been renamed Temirgoy after the dominant tribe in the area. Up in the mountains we now have an Abazinia province (owned by circassia) and one Balkaria province (owned by Kabardia)

Futher east is the new Chechnya province (dynamic names GEO: Dzurdzukia TUR and muslims: Ichkeria). Which is it's own OPM, the tengriistic tribal democracy "Vainakh" (Culture Dagestani). Anestors of modern Chechens and Ingush people. Funny since if it reforms we'd get a tengriist oligarchic republic in the caucasus.

In terms of priority I'd hope all of these changes be implemented at some point as they'd really give the flavor north caucasus lacks. For south caucasus there was significantly fewer changes and generally speaking less important:

South caucasus:
20180108175212_1.jpg

I ended up adding Kakheti to the balkanized Georgia. I also made a Hereti province for them, but regrets it and would rather have Hereti as a GEO dynamic name for Shaki province.
I also made right about the different kings now, Demetre II is now king in Immereti ( and not the old Demetre I), with Georg VIII taking the throne of Kakheti. I did add a Svaneti province, I like the idea of having it there, giving some more, well needed strategic depth to the region. I shifted development around so Immereti stays at 29.

Kartli, except the darial gorge pass get's a few new things. A slight boost to development after loosing Kakheti, but also I would suggest an Inland center of trade for Tbilisi (as there is none in the caucasus and Tbilisi were a major trade city).
I also suggest a province modifier for Kartli "Ossetian migration" giving a boost to manpower but also increasing base unrest in the province. Based on the continued migration of ossetians into the area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Ossetia#Medieval_and_early_modern_period

The city of Kars is once again a province, with Armenian culture, I kept it at 3 dev as that is what it originally had but I'd probably shift development around a bit, and increasing Samtshkes total development to 18 (now 16)

Also giving Tao a piece of Guria to get some coast (rather than making a new tiny sea province for Samtshke)

Next door the small Trebizonian empire is no longer an OPM as the historic Lazika region now become it's own province with Georgian culture.

All in all just a handfull of fairly reasonable suggestion for a final touch to the caucasus, but I also have an easter egg based on this old thread https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/independent-assyrian-tribes.1046634/

Ashur rising:
20180108175233_1.jpg

Two new provinces and one new country. The Assyrian tribal theocracy of Hakkari now occupies the new Hakkari province while having cores on the new Amadia province (based on the emirate of Bahdinan, belongs to Bitlis) and the Urmia province. Mardin also has the new Assyrian culture, part of the caucasian culture group. SO far they are coptic, but I'm working to improve that. Right now there are still some programming before I release this mod, forming events, NI's etc for Hakkari and the new formable of Assyria! While I will not maintain the whole caucasus mod after it get's obsoleted by a new patch, though if there is interest in it I would continue to support an Assyria mod giving Assyria some OP NI's and events making.
SO far I'm restyling the Purple Phoenix dlc as an "Ashur rising DLC" giving special decisions, missions and events in restoring the Assyrian empire. But still it is probably one of the hardest nations to play with in game, with only one province, 3 development and surrounding by QQ and it's vassal.

assyria_nation = {
major = yes
potential = {
normal_or_historical_nations = yes
NOT = { has_country_flag = formed_assyria_flag }
OR = {
ai = no
is_playing_custom_nation = no
}
NOT = { tag = ASY }
OR = {
ai = no
AND = {
NOT = { exists = ASY }
num_of_cities = 3 #Carnage
}
}
NOT = { tag = HLR }
NOT = { tag = PAP }
primary_culture = assyrian
is_colonial_nation = no
OR = {
is_former_colonial_nation = no
AND = {
is_former_colonial_nation = yes
ai = no
}
}
}
allow = {
NOT = { exists = ASY }
is_at_war = no
is_free_or_tributary_trigger = yes
religion = coptic
is_nomad = no
owns_core_province = 410 # Baghdad
owns_core_province = 411 # Mosul
owns_core_province = 2308 # Urfa
owns_core_province = 2313 # Antioch
owns_core_province = 4369 # Hakkari
OR = {
owns_core_province = 2206 #Urmia
owns_core_province = 2307 #Van
}
}
effect = {
change_tag = ASY
remove_non_electors_emperors_from_empire_effect = yes
if = {
limit = { NOT = { government_rank = 2 } }
set_government_rank = 2
}
syria_area = {
limit = {
NOT = { owned_by = ROOT }
NOT = { is_core = ROOT }
}
add_permanent_claim = ASY
}
palestine_area = {
limit = {
NOT = { is_core = ROOT }
}
}
iraq_arabi_area = {
limit = {
NOT = { is_core = ROOT }
}
}
al_jazira_area = {
limit = {
NOT = { is_core = ROOT }
}
}
basra_area = {
limit = {
NOT = { is_core = ROOT }
}
}
aleppo_area = {
limit = {
NOT = { is_core = ROOT }
}
}
syrian_desert_area = {
limit = {
NOT = { is_core = ROOT }
}
}
north_kurdistan_area = {
limit = {
NOT = { is_core = ROOT }
}
}
add_country_modifier = {
name = "centralization_modifier"
duration = 7300
}

effect = {
411 = {
move_capital_effect = yes
}
add_prestige = 25
if = {
limit = {
has_custom_ideas = no
NOT = { has_idea_group = ASY_ideas }
}
country_event = { id = ideagroups.1 } #Swap Ideas
}
set_country_flag = formed_assyria_flag
}
ai_will_do = {
factor = 1
}
ai_importance = 400 #
}

}

• 9Like
Reactions:
I'd also possibly split Lori from Tbilisi. When playing as Armenia it is weird to be unable to take the north shores of the Sevan without outright taking the Georgian capital.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Very good suggestion. Paradox said they'd be revisiting the Caucasus in another patch when asked why there weren't unit packs for Georgia in CoC, maybe there's hope yet that some of this stuff will be incorporated in the future.

Also, maybe you should redraw Mardin (or extend Amadia a little westward) to border the other two Assyrian provinces?

Although it may be ahistorical, ceding Amadia to the Hakkari state and giving them a border with Hisn Kafya at least gives them somewhere to expand... Or making them an Aq Qoyunlu vassal gives them the opportunity to seek independence with the help of one of AQ's powerful rivals.

Last edited:
Here's to hoping our pleas to Make Assyria Great Again will finally be answered.

I'd also possibly split Lori from Tbilisi. When playing as Armenia it is weird to be unable to take the north shores of the Sevan without outright taking the Georgian capital.

I was thinking about doing it and actually tried a tashi-lori province in previous mod and it didn't work that well. Could be possible.

Very good suggestion. Paradox said they'd be revisiting the Caucasus in another patch when asked why there weren't unit packs for Georgia in CoC, maybe there's hope yet that some of this stuff will be incorporated in the future.

I didn't here that before but makes me positive to know :)

Also, maybe you should redraw Mardin (or extend Amadia a little westward) to border the other two Assyrian provinces?

I guess it'd be possible but I believe this is a more accurate set-up, doesn't change that much anyway, accuracy also goes for:

Although it may be ahistorical, ceding Amadia to the Hakkari state and giving them a border with Hisn Kafya at least gives them somewhere to expand... Or making them an Aq Qoyunlu vassal gives them the opportunity to seek independence with the help of one of AQ's powerful rivals.

Since we still don't have proper sources on assyrians in the 15t century even just adding them in hakkari is not 100% substantiated. Gvng them the territory of a kurdish chieftain, nie. Also I don't know anything about them being AQ vassals. Need more sources for that.

Otherwise some trivia. Since the tribal theocracy is coptic, they have orthodox/coptic gov names. So brace yourself for
Metropolis
Great Metropolis
Patriarchate

and I have them reform into feudal theocracy but modded it so they'll keep christian titles. Now all we need is a Fritz Lang/Metropolis achievment.

Also I are working on creating the events/decisions (based on purple phoenix) and localisations atm.
Im making a serious of triumph_area decisions. With rewards based on how big area. I'm so far going with triumph for Mesopotamia, Syria, Canaan, Elam (Khuzestan) and Egypt.
Then I made three events based on reclaiming cities, changing the name of the city when conquered and giving a bonus. So far I'm going with Mosul -> Nineveh (this one also changes culture) Baghdad -> Ctesiphon and Antioch

Gonna make a few missions to I think

Felt the need to repost my Assyrian NI's

Traditions
+1 Hostile Attrition
+15% fort defense

Gooraneh
The assyrian tribes founding principle is the division of temporal and spiritual power two bodies one metropolitan becoming the guardian of the our History and Future and the other our Malik who keeps his tribe together regardless of religous schism.
+20% Religous Unity

Interfaith communities
Long have we lived close to jews, yezidis and kurds and fostered many happy friendships and as the powers around seek to subvert our independence these bonds have become even more important.
+2 Tolerance towards heathens

Legacy of Adiabene
The ecclistiastical province of Adiabene once united much of what we once called Assyria and though it perished during the 14th century the christian communities remain as the last bastion of the church of the east to liberate our brothers and unite the followers of christ.
-25% Cost to create claim

Tukhma
We are scattered between the plains and mountains so great is this hinderance that it is only the deep kinship to one another that holds us together blood and faith!
+1 Legitimacy/Devotion

Fertile plains
In spite of the hostile terrain we have been afforded, by the grace of god, some plains upon which we may plant our seeds not only for wheat and barley but also for luxuries like cotton and tea.
+10% Goods produced

Catholic communion
In the 16th century rivalries between the various bishops began emarging creating a schism eventually one of them assumed the title of patriarch and alligned himself with the pope of Rome while not a welcome change we do benefit from closer realtions with other christians.
+1 Diplomatic reputation

Gawar route
The Urmian plains are a much desired destination for many Assyrians as is Gawar for those who wish to make it through the mountains this has created us an ideal situation for trade.
+10% Trade efficency

Ambitions
+10% Army morale

Last edited:
great work
I also made a Hereti province for them, but regrets it and would rather have Hereti as a GEO dynamic name for Shaki province.
leave Hereti as dynamic name for Shaki. Shaki is name of town and it used to be capital of Hereti or Aghuank (armenian dynamic name for it)

The city of Kars is once again a province, with Armenian culture, I kept it at 3 dev as that is what it originally had but I'd probably shift development around a bit, and increasing Samtshkes total development to 18 (now 16)
Kars really deserves to be separated region,
and Lomsia's new capital must became Akhaltsikhe

Also giving Tao a piece of Guria to get some coast (rather than making a new tiny sea province for Samtshke)
merging Tao and Klarjeti is nice idea, since Ottomans captured this area like in the same time and Georgians never managed to recapture it unless Russia's arrival. Russians only managed to liberate Klarjeti and only small part of upper Tao. both Tao and Klarjeti used to be known as "Ottoman Georgia".

also I suggest you to move Guria little bit to north
2x-L2QHKR5SaaeJewv-uqg.png

aand Assyria do not belons to Caucasus lol, neither Armenia tbh. Armenians were spread through middle east from Cilicia/Syria to Caucasus and Persia. but well for gameplay reasons its acceptable.

I'd also possibly split Lori from Tbilisi.
short history of Lori.
in ancient times it was part of Iberia, later got annexed by Armenia. in yearly medievals, it was changing between hands of Armenia and Iberia, but in XI century it finnaly became part of Georgia. Armenians gained control over Lori again after Georgian-Armenian war which was fought over Lori. in 1918 Lori became neutral zone, in 1920 it was annexed by Georgia since Armenia was invaded and occupied by red army. after red army invasion of Georgia, Lori district was granted to Armenia. Lore-Tashiri along with Tbilisi was known as lesser Kartli/Iberia and it was always associated with lesser Kartli. even in ancient Armenian sources natives of Lore-Tashiri were Gugars who were subgroup of Georgians.

I also want to add some info I pulled out to this topic:

First this is from friend suggesting Gümüşhane province:
I think you should add an important province called "Gümüşhane" (Argyropolis -> "Silver City") as well. Since there are lots of minor cities in Europe. Why would not we have one in Anatolia? That city had really important silver mines throughout centuries. It was also on the Silk Road. It's between the Erzincan, Erzurum and North Anatolia Mountains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gümüşhane
http://pontosworld.com/index.php/pontus/places/184-argyroupoli-guemueshane
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gümüşhane_Province

Turkish Wikipedia Page (resource of Byzantine Map);
https://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gümüşhane_(il)

Koloneia Theme as shown in map [if you add this city to game Byzantium will use this name(if they Reestablish the Theme System)];
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...40_AD.svg/1317px-Asia_Minor_ca_740_AD.svg.png

https://imgur.com/gallery/AbGFA

Greek resource:
http://pontos-patridamou.blogspot.com/2011/09/blog-post_1401.html#axzz4yLN0zFin

edit: sorry my bed england

Second, information I wanna add about Gümüşhane, Lazistan and Caucasian Laz culture:
I really want Paradox to visit Trebizond as I found out it was also divided to 4 in Ottoman era:
-Trebizond (center)
-Samsun/Canik
-Lazistan
-Gümüşhane

g9vY1Z.png

I suggested Lazistan to be added there which would make Laz new culture (It still exists in Turkey). They would belong "Caucasian" culture group.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laz_people
Data I found says they were converted to Muslims. In 1444 they would be Orthodox. It would make Trebizond 2 provinces country.
Mvvjpg.png

And third, more about Gümüşhane's possible Georgian or Pontic owners:
Lazistan to be Laz (Caucasian) as sources clearly show they are majority even after converted to Islam.

According to my sources Gümüşhane changed hands between Qaraqoyunlu (1430) then Trebizond and then ottomans, then Aqqoyunlu (1460s) and lately finally Ottomans around 1467, so I dont clearly know where they need to belong.
But my guess is probably Trebizond. As sources say there were couple of Georgian (even Abkhaz) there. In 1456 they fight as vassal or ally as Trebizond. On the other hand Ottoman sources call there "Torul" and "Georgian".
Sources say they belong to "Kabasika" or Kabasitan family.

If you wanna research Gümüşhane, it is later Turkish name, its original name is "Canca". It was called Gümüşhane (Gümüş=silver) because there were very rich silver mines.

So definitely not Turkish as Ottomans completely got there in later, 1467.
Probably Georgian, but if you can find better Greek sources maybe it could be Pontic. :)

So I feel like there is lot to discover in this region, should be revisited back to be even more detailed.

Gümüşhane is a possible province. My suggestion already includes a Lazica/Lazistan province. Concerning culture PDX officially stated they won't add OPM cultures so Laz would have to be represented as gerogians

Regarding Gumushane being owned by the "Kabasika/Kabasitan", there was a political faction in Trebizond called the Kabasitai or Kabazitai. Not sure if they were a family, but they could have been.

Last edited:
First this is from friend suggesting Gümüşhane province:
Lazistan to be Laz (Caucasian) as sources clearly show they are majority even after converted to Islam.

According to my sources Gümüşhane changed hands between Qaraqoyunlu (1430) then Trebizond and then ottomans, then Aqqoyunlu (1460s) and lately finally Ottomans around 1467, so I dont clearly know where they need to belong.
But my guess is probably Trebizond. As sources say there were couple of Georgian (even Abkhaz) there. In 1456 they fight as vassal or ally as Trebizond. On the other hand Ottoman sources call there "Torul" and "Georgian".
Sources say they belong to "Kabasika" or Kabasitan family.

If you wanna research Gümüşhane, it is later Turkish name, its original name is "Canca". It was called Gümüşhane (Gümüş=silver) because there were very rich silver mines.

So definitely not Turkish as Ottomans completely got there in later, 1467.
Probably Georgian, but if you can find better Greek sources maybe it could be Pontic. :)

outlined territories are part of Pontus or Karadeniz region. both in Byzantine and Ottoman empire it was very distinct region, with very unique culture and traditions.
NjBAGuaMSK_wtZZK7K-LjQ.png

regions and towns of Trebizond Empire (in Russian)
DHtzN1uySxSm6rUHxN5K1g.png

some information about Chaldia region
mxG_26qwTwi6x3aeOF_Xvw.png

Gumushane is Turkish name for city of Argyropolis/Canca. region was known as Chaldia/Mesochaldia, it was very densely populated area. having lots of silver and gold mines, it used to be very rich and well fortified province. toponymes like Tzanik or Djanik, Canca and Lazistan(Chaneti) derives from Tzan-Laz people, who are natives of the region, Pontian Greeks are hellenized locals, the term Pontian greek was adopted during XX century, before they were known either as Rumca or Lazs. after subjugation of Trebizond by Mongol empire, Mongols and later by other Turkish empires Trebizondine ports used as a gates to Europe. Chaldia was road connecting Erzerum to Trebizond, which was one of the important silk road city before fall of Constantinople. after fall of Constatinople Turks isolated black sea and ruined Genoese trade power and Trebizond lost it's importance. age of Colonialism and alternative trade routes ruined whole region, including Georgia as well.

Last edited:
'The Laz are a Caucasian people related to the Caucasian Ajars,Georgians, and Mingrelians.'
Wow This is some Russian level of misinformation, first of all Adjarians ARE Georgians so putting Adjarians separate from Georgians is just simply incorrect. now Mingrelians do have their own language which from what i have heard is pretty intelligible with the Laz language, but yet again Mingrelians aren't different Caucasian ethnic group they are Georgian sub-group. and the whole 'South Caucasian language group' is pretty weird in the first place, since the only South Caucasian language group is the Georgian- Kartvelian language group.

Honestly this whole article does feel like it's trying to follow some divide agenda, it really makes me wonder who could be the author of this article?

Oh w8
>George Hewitt
Ah now it makes perfect sense.

Ah.

There are many other potential cultures and even countries might be added into Caucasian lands.
That's true North Caucasus is severely lacking in provinces and country tags. a region that diverse and rich in history deserves a better representation for sure, but then again with Eu4's 'one province one settlement' system it's hard to represent everything correctly.

Possible Kabardia or Balkaria comes to mind.
Karbardia was basically eastern Circassia, but i think AirikrSrife's idea of representing Karbardia as its own tag works the best for both balancing Circassia and adding a bit more flavor to the North Caucasus.

Last edited: