• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Onikujo

Inaba of the Moon
73 Badges
May 25, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Iron Cross
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
Cathleen - KR USA Story style AAR.

Just a little bit of writing I did a while back idly- Sort of a perspective story from the PoV of a soldier enlisted with the US during KRs American Civil War chain.

*Forgive me if you like it, I'll likely not do more with it, but perhaps, if interest is there etc. etc. I finished my last playthrough with the Japanese so now I need something to do and this may be it.

"People always said that America was safe from the problems in the Old World. Things never carried over the ocean, it's too far, our government is too stable, so on so forth. But these same people have been wrong over and over. First they were wrong about the French resolve in the Weltkrieg. Then they were wrong about Russia's revolution. Next up they were wrong about England, or should I say the Union of Britain now. Really it's all just a mess. After the Germans won the Weltkreig, Europe spiraled into chaos. Or at least England and France did."

"Because England was so absolutely starved and drained, the people had no will to work. But the government wanted work, so they tried to force it. They sent soldiers cut from the same cloth to get the workers back in order, and from there on you can tell what happened. Anarchy spread when the Army mutinied, and the pride of the British nation, the Royal Navy followed suit. With nothing else to do, the Royal Family fled up to our north, into good ol' Canada, and that's where they are today. The French went the same way, just far far earlier. Practically the moment the Germans pulled out of Paris they went to shit. The government-in-exile in North Africa remains convinced the people in Metropolitan France are being tortured under radical Syndicalism. Now, I'm not the most well educated, you know how it can be for a girl to get into school, so bear with me here."

"Now, Europe outside of Germany's sphere of... friends? No no, puppets, is a mess. The moment you leave Mitteleuropa, you find yourself somewhere unstable. Austria-Hungary, the Balkans, Spain, and god forbid you go to Russia. The communists may have been stomped out way back, but Russia is only standing on it's large military. From what I'm told, there's at least four well organized groups all trying to muscle for their plan for Russia. Anyways, you'd think that with all this in Europe, things in America would be hunky dory. Right? Well, not really. Since England and France lost, and the USA was invested in both of them heavily, she lost a lot of money and labor. This meant a lot of debt, and in turn a lot of disgruntled, unemployed laborers. I think you can tell where this goes, somewhat. Throughout the 20's and 30's, little was done to solve this, and in fact successive Presidents pretty much followed the Free Market ideas to the letter. This... well, this allowed the local Syndicalist movement, led by Jack Reed to grow it's membership, almost to alarming levels. And while in the north this was happening, the south was equally active. Huey Long and the America First party detested all forms of left-wing ideology, and went as far as to form an armed paramilitary group, one I see often in my service, the Minutemen."

"Where am I from? That's kind of a silly question, isn't it? I'm from the USA, right? Seriously though, I was from Oregon before it went out and joined the Pacific States with California and Washington. They're mostly alright though, got an agreement with MacArthur's government to not step in on the war no matter what, least so far that seems to be the case. Does it bother me to fight for a country I don't live in? Sure, somewhat, but after this is all done with I like to think Oregon and the west will come back. I mean, once it's all said and done one way or the other it's not like they could say no. Same with New England. Though I don't think they'd give up, or Canada would let them go if the Syndies win out. That'd be... well, not good. Anywho, I'm from Oregon but since I was in training in Montana at the time, they shoved me off into the 163rd Infantry Regiment, which is Montana National Guard, not exactly my first choice but oh well, right?"

"My youth is boring, so I won't go over it, pretty much your normal slightly impoverished family scratching it out in Eugene, pretty off and on schooling, which is good for my gender, thanks to Oregon being so open to gals like me. I had signed up for the Guard a few weeks after MacArthur legalized female enlistment via emergency decree with the growing instability and whatnot, and in about '39 I was at camp in Montana. There's really not much else to tell up to now though, my unit's meandered along the Missouri River off and on, and as of now we're in... Oi, Gerald, where're we at now?"

"Iowa! Just east of Omaha!"

"There ya have it, just east of Omaha in Iowa, smack up against the Syndies here. Wanna know something else? All you gotta do is ask me, d-..."

"Huh? I didn't talk about Americas First? Well, that's partly because I don't know much about em', and I don't see any of them up here in Iowa. From what I know though, they're pretty well entrenched in the south, Texas up to Virginia, kind of like a new Confederacy and I suspect equally racist. They're practically like... like... They're the most un-democratic of the pretender Americas. Huey Long means well, from what I can tell, but that doesn't matter now that he's up in open rebellion. They also probably have the second most professional army in this whole war, because they had a well trained party militia before the war, and it just sort of... transferred into their army. Plus, pretty sure Germany is sending them gear... I wish Germany sent me gear..."

Last edited:
October 1st, 1937
Somewhere near Austin, Texas.

Phf2TqF.png

III US Army in Texas, 1937.

"Lesse, things that happened since we last had a talk? Huh. Well, a lot's gone on since then, y'know. I got a new rifle, no more Springfield for me, I'm a Garand gal now. More importantly, obviously, we're not in Iowa anymore, we got shifted south to take on the America First- Shortage of troops down here in the, uh... TexCom I think they call it. Texas Command or the like. So, the Firsties were trying to roll down into Corpus Christi to catch the remnants of the Atlantic Fleet in anchorage and rough em' up- This got Somerville, the regions commander all manner of flustered and so we got pulled down to deal with it. Some boys over in the California National Guard made a song of it to the tune of Tipperary.

Up to mighty Texas came,
A Firstie man one day,
All the ships were painted blue,
So Somerville was afraid!
Singing songs of Huey Long...

There's more, but I'll spare you, my singing voice is kinda horrid. But you can probably imagine what it was like shuffling all the way down to Texas from Iowa without much of a logistic arm to provide trucks and the like... Long, tiring, and horrible. Heh... Long. It makes sense, cuz' we're fighting Huey Long... Get it? Tch. Forget it."

"As it turns out though, we got lucky apparently, and Somerville was just kind of overreacting a little. When we got down, we coordinated with the V Corp, a regular Army group, to cut the salient off that had formed into Houston and Austin, leaving the Firstie forces cut off from Lousiana and shit outta' luck. Gotta give it to the Army lads though, they make us all look kind of childish really... But right, with V Corp sealing the line eastward, we pushed into the pocket, only to find a handful of paramilitary divisions scouring through Austin. Don't get me wrong though, a man with a gun is still more then capable of making your day terrible. Honestly it wasn't too bad though, given my limited experience with actual combat. Worst part was when we had to push into Hancock, the Firsties had dug into the University and were using the place as a hardpoint. Between the open fields of the campus and the class to class gunfights I can say I'm officially sick of schools. Few times it looked like I was gonna bite the dust, a staircase I was goin' up broke partly under me, I got stuck, and thank God for Gerald being there, some Firstie ass poked over the railing and tried to shoot me. Gerald went and sprayed damn near an entire magazine though, killed the guy dead and saved my sorry ass from a sticky situation. Compared to the Syndie militias up north I suppose this was a bit more challenging overall though. Can't say we didn't lose a fair share of men and women though, something like two-hundred dead and a bit more then that wounded from what I hear. Firsties fared worse though, pretty well all of em' died in there, apparently the para-military types are the real fanatics, fight til' they die or whatever... It's stupid, who wants to die for some crackjob ideology or whatever? I'll never get that..."

4CBbL2w.png

Soldiers of the 95th Californian Infantry prepare to enter a building in the Austin area, 1937.

"Iunno though, there's other stuff that's happened, but it's likely that you keep up on it just like me, so it hardly counts as news now. I mean it should be obvious the western states came back, since we got Californian, Oregonian and Washington divisions shunted in with us now, and I think that might well be the straw that breaks the Firstie and Syndies backs. It's mostly great for us since we absorbed the fledgling Pacific Army, who were in turn just re-branded US Army units really. Point is that we're not working with a stunted army no more. Not to mention the re-integration has returned the US Navy to nearly full strength. Like I said a few weeks back, cooler heads prevailed, and the west coast is a lot smarter then people think, ain't no fools out that-a-way. Only reason it took so long was a bit of concern over just how well-received a sudden return would be, no one wanted to return if it meant they'd be slapped around by MacArthur..."
4ulfVPh.png

The first and only government of the PSA. President Frank Merriam (center), Vice President Culbert Levy Olsen (left), and Speaker of the Assembly George Jackson Byrnes (right).
"Oh, right, I guess we're down here for more then just the Firsties though, since as anyone with a working head has heard, Mexico tried to make some ridiculous claims on the South. That crackpot Calles tried to tell Garner that he'd have troops camped in front of the White House and more if he refused, which makes me laugh since Garner doesn't even use the White House... With that though, and with Garner telling Calles to shove the demands where the sun don't shine, admittedly in a more diplomatic manner, the Mexicans outright announced a state of war. We're now down here to provide a sort of strategic reserve or somethin', a little backup in case the National Guard and the II Corp can't handle the invasion. People are sayin' the western border is pretty desperate though, people are literally borrowing weapons and forming town militias to try and help the Guard. Everyone wants to kick Uncle Sam when he's down... Honestly though? This war seems to be winding down now, I don't see the CSA or AUS lasting longer then late '38 at worst."
6SyaS8l.png

Mexican Soldiers of the VI Cuerpo del Ejercito training for the eventual invasion of the US South, 1937.

"A year?! I give em' a few months tops!"

"Shut the hell up, Gerald! Optimism ain't gotten us nowhere, alright!?"

Huzzah. Willpower. I have it.

And pictures.

And formatting.

o/

Last edited:
Why we don't have more AARs like this one? Awesome update!

(but I'm supporting the america first, rise my minions!)

December 8th, 1937
A train heading north, somewhere in Oklahoma.

Qsl0sht.png

Soldiers of the 22nd Oregon Infantry take cover and try to spot Mexican positions in the foothills of Monterrey, Northern Mexico, 1937.

"You'd think things would get easier after the Firsties were cleared outta Texas, right? I mean, the National Guard plus some Infantry shoulda been able to hold off the Mexicans, but no, not really- We ended up getting pulled down into the hastily thrown together, uhh... Shit, what was it called again? I think it was just called MEXTOUSA or something like that, I know it had to do with Mexico and theaters of operation. I know ol' MacArthur was kinda upset to lose our unit, not to mention command of the Southern region, but that's tough shit, y'know? They ended up throwing General Richardson into the command, with something like a total of 3 proper army divisions and 7 National Guard to boot- Hell of a job to pull, right? All in all though I think we were again a little bit overworried at the end of the day though, since it didn't look like the Mexicans were too inclined to do much really- Well, no, furthest they got was Tuscon and El Paso, which is nothin' to scoff at but by the time we'd gotten around to it, the Army boys and Nationals had done a good job of shoving them back south of the Rio. Can you believe we sealed up the Second Mexican American War in less then a month? And not only that, but during the Second Civil War? I almost thought we'd miss any actual combat on the trip, but we managed to run across a Mexican Cavalry division when we were pushing into Monterr-... Monnerey? Montferrat? Whatever, some hilly, hot as hell crapspot in the north of the country. Coulda been worse, coulda been the middle of summer, thankfully it was mid-November so no one was melting in their boots. Way the Mexis were trying to bother us had the unit on edge though, and it took us about a week to finally pin the bastards down into a river valley and really put the fear of God into em'."
qrOWPQi.png

A disgruntled Presidente Calles after the signing of the Treaty of Saltillo, confirming the US-Mexican Border and forcing Calles to renounce any future claims on former territories, 1937.

"... Sorry, I guess fighting in a war really does sorta desensitize you to this sorta thing, y'know? Talkin' about the Mexicans though, they ultimately had to come to the peace talks on November 23rd, we used the old Mayors residence for the meeting- I wasn't there but the people there tell that the emotion of the Calles people was almost deadly, people cursing at eachother behind closed doors and the like. For his part, Richardson did good though, the Mexicans kept blustering and flustering but he kept to the line- Peace on normal terms, return to normalcy on the borders, that sorta thing. Richardson also kept repeating that the Mexicans had his and Garner's word that the US didn't intend t' retaliate for this affair later... So it was a forgone thing. Losing support for every day he stalled, and land too, we kept advancing south as they negotiated, the treaty got signed on the 27th of November. Hostilities ended effective immediately and we began the long process of pulling out, so we could go right back north, to what we were told was going to be Illinois or somewhere close to it. We got held up for a bit though to help with some stragglers in Texas. Then on though, we've been off and on slogging it and taking trains. I guess the distraction was alright, since it got folks from the border states into uniform, expanded the theaters number of units..."
fsUAFSb.png

US troops walking through a pacified portion of the then Ruined AUS capital of Atlanta. The shifting front would see the city change hands at least three more times, 1937.

"Ohoh, right, we took Atlanta a few weeks back, I think it was in October, but we didn't hold it, place was a bombed out wreck. Between our guns and the Syndies bombers the place ultimately got the worst of it and ended up a husk, kinda sad if you ask me, since I bet you most of the people there didn't much like the government they were forced under. I think it was IV Corp under Stilwell who went in though, made a big point of trying to keep his troops under control but y'know... We been at this war for almost a year and a quarter, and a lot of people are mad, have been displaced, lost family and the like- It was bound to be bad for the place. Can't say it helped the image of our forces that some of the troops that took part in the violence were Negro units, I mean, that ain't to say plenty of white soldiers did unspeakable things though- Word through the grapevine is that the 7th really lived up to it's nickname; 'The Bayonet Division', a big mess overall over there. I guess we'll come to solving that when the wars over though, chalk up another festering wound in the south..."
mVyxV6X.png

US Army recruits train at Fort Carson, Colorado, using what uniforms and weapons that can be found, mostly left-overs from the late 20s and early 30s, 1937.

"See, Gerald was full of crap, it's already almost Christmas and we're only halfway into the AUS, and barely into the Syndies up north, it's gonna be a longer war then we all wanna believe, but it sure feels like it's been going on for ages now. I mean, we're having freshly trained Infantry join the ranks now, like, full training and the whole thing, honest to goodness infantry- Ten god damn weeks, a far cry from the barely six I got when I joined. Not that it's a bad thing, means the wars coming to a close sooner... Heard they're gonna focus all the divisions in the north to finally give the Syndies a serious punch in the nose, something we've not really been able to do until now. That'll be a good feeling, driving them violent anarchists a few pegs down. That does beg the question from people a lot though, why do I, as a young gal of twenty three not support the Syndies? They're gender neutral mostly, s'what I've heard. Well? It's a matter of morals, you know? Every single town and city we passed through controlled by the Syndies had some form of left-overs. Folk they thought weren't going to toe their line, factory owners, even the occasional intellectual who said one thing wrong. So, so, that's why I don't wanna help them, be associated with them, or even think about joining the Syndies. No thanks."
I... I expected at least a little more input from people. A lot of people reading but not saying anything...

Is it good? Bad? Advice? Improvements? Speak up, lads.

Last edited:
A advice? Well, it lack maps, I would like to see the tacts that you are using

State of the World, 1938.
5Ih0EsI.png

In North America a few things are certain, America is going to win, and America is going to be traumatized.
The United States of America
Garner has successfully led the nation through arguably it's hardest time, and the most harrowing period in it's young history since the Revolutionary War. Winning the war will likely give him a mandate to take practically any action, assuming reconstruction can go smooth enough. Some suspect that the period immediately after the war ends will actually be the most dangerous.

Combined Syndicates of America
Reed is slowly declining in health each passing day, and with his health goes the odds for the CSA to survive the US offensive. As it becomes more clear that defeat is looming, volunteer soldiers and so-called 'political officers' have begun to wreak havoc as they escape east for New York and New Jersey's ports, attempting to secure passage home. Is the only other combatant still possessing a proper navy as well.

American Union State
Once considered the biggest threat in the Civil War, thanks to German and Russian backing, the AUS has now been reduced to a rump, and after losing most of it's infantry core in Texas and Oklahoma, they're struggling to hold back the reinvigorated US Army. After an engagement in the Gulf of Mexico involving what was left of the US 2nd Battleship Fleet, the AUS effectively lost it's navy, save one light cruiser. The USS Tennessee was responsible for sinking 3 Battleships herself, earning her the moniker of 'The Mexican Monster'.

Canada and New England
Originally considered tantamount to a declaration of war, Garner has come to appreciate the Canadian move as ultimately saving time and lives for the USA. Many now feel the Canadians are simply holding US possessions in a sort of stewardship role, to be returned when the conflict comes to an end. Though the loss of life is horrific, the Canadians hope the event will shake the Americans out of their previous complicity and isolationism.
PyncBfn.png

A proverbial powder keg is the best term for South America, and it's unclear if the Brazilians or Plataneans are going to light the fuse.
Brazil
After the elections swept the Syndicalists into power, Edgard Leuenroth and his Aliança Nacional Libertadora went to work with their left-wing reforms, and this was followed by a popular revolt in Bolivia that brought a like-minded government to power. After some initial instability, it's clear the ANL is here to stay, and the question is will they be the ones to start the war with La Plata or not.

La Plata
La Plata has been the dominant force in South America for years, and is only now facing a real challenge to it's control from the Syndicalist Brazil. Agustin Justo has struggled with minorities in Paraguay and Uruguay, and after a diplomatic rebuff from Chile managed to find an ally in Peru. If it will be enough to stave off the Brazilians is yet to be seen.
eqAfzXa.png

If South America is a powder keg however, Europe is like a bomb factory doused in gasoline with a few ammo dumps inside for good measure.
Germany and Mitteleuropa
Since the end of the Weltkrieg and the intervening years, Germany seems to have let its global position slip somewhat, and the Syndicalists have been keen to take any opening given. It has consistently proven itself unwilling to become tied to problems in the east, for example Belarus, formerly White Ruthenia, which broke away in early 1937, warranting only empty threats from Berlin. Perhaps the timing was perfect though, as Ukraine had nearly gone over to the Internationale that same time, only to be saved by a reactionary officers rebellion later that same week. The message though is clear, Germany is losing it's will to hold it's place in the sun.

France, England and the Internationale.
With Germany losing control, the Syndicalist alliance has been more then willing to step in to fill the void left by the Reich. While Spain has preoccupied the attention of Europe, it's been France and England who really took the reigns there, pouring volunteers, equipment and cash into the hands of the CNT-FAI and encouraging them to even speed into Portugal after the government there declared the budding socialist party illegal. With some moral support, even Scandinavia has gone Syndie, literally. After Norway announced a Syndicalist shift, Swedish left-wingers toppled the government and announced their desire to create a unified Scandinavian Union. All this had emboldened the French, and it is thought that a second Weltkrieg is just on the horizon.

The Balkan League
What started as a simple regional association has grown into a full-fledged alliance between Serbia, Romania and Greece, with the avowed purpose of righting wrongs with the Bulgarians, who still seem to be the ultimate power in the region. Again, this is another region on the brink, as traditionally the Balkans are.

Others
What was previously the Austrio-Hungarian Empire splintered into pieces following the collapse of the Ausgleich, with Bohemia, Croatia, and Bosnia all tearing away during the fighting, and Poland, Romania, and Italy all taking the chance to try and reclaim lost lands. All save Italy accomplished the goals quickly, though Bosnia was ultimately devoured by the jingoist Serbs.

Russia has seen itself become even less stable, following the seizure of the state by Wrangel and his lackeys. Their heavy-handed approach led to a second Soviet revolt, along with numerous smaller problems. Siberia broke free, Finland seized Karelia, and by the time Wrangel got the Soviets back under control he had already lost over two thirds of Russia.

The Ottomans are... Well, the Ottomans.
2wq2rkw.jpg

The frontiers of China is home of some of the most horrific scenes in this age, as Mongols sweep south and attempt to pacify the Ma warlords. India remains split, and Japan finds itself as one of the few democratic beacons in the area.
Japan and the Asian Community
While certainly not a perfect democracy, Japan has made strides in recent months, not least of which includes freeing Korea, previously thought to be impossible to most outside observers. Just how docile the newly tempered nation is though, remains to be seen, as it retains the largest navy in Asia, and the second largest in the world.

China
Perhaps the most confusing place in the world today, China consists of no less then 7 nations, all of which have vastly different ideologies. The Qing have begun a slow drive to unify the Empire, already starting a war with the fundamentalist, vehemently anti-foreign Shanqing in the interior. In the west, Mongolia is pressing into the Ma lands claiming to be fighting for the oppressed Mongol populace, but seemingly only using the war as an excuse to cause mass genocide. The Yuunan Clique remains mostly calm, though occasional raids by bandits strike into the German colony to its east, the AoG. On that note, the AoG has retained a decidedly conservative ideology, refusing to heed calls for local governance, and quashing revolt with a heavy hand.

Africa has little of note, really.

New Year New World.

Honestly does no one have anything to say? It... It's a little disheartening to see people looking but saying nothing. So far all I have is Gukpa...

I do appreciate feedback. :v

July 7th, 1938.
A makeshift barracks, Baltimore.

lO3GTS8.jpg

Soldiers of the 2nd 'Indianhead' Division sprint down a side-road during frantic city fighting in Pittsburg, 1938.
"Back to bother me again? Jeesh, you're pretty damn persistent for a reporter, y'know? I don't think I did much worth reporting on, let alone something warranting you tailing me around like this... Hell, it's almost like stalking, ya know, you're clinging! I guarantee you can go ask any other soldier the same stuff you keep asking me and you'd get answers more entertaining or at least more educational. Ugh, I guess it can't be helped then, can it? What's up this month? Well, the Army, that's up, wrapped up the much touted 'Operation Quaker', which is pretty much code for 'knock the Syndies out of Penn'. Sure as hell beats fighting in Mexico, it's a lot colder here and a helluva lot less rugged. Wish it was a bit warmer though... They chose the coldest, most God forsaken time of year for an offensive, place has been near freezing for the past few months- Certainly a far cry from Eugene, y'know?"

"The first part of the operation had our Corp providing flank support and artillery backup for the Third and Fifth Corp to push into Pittsburgh, place was a mess before we arrived but holy hell if it's ever gonna be the same. I swear to God we pounded the city for about a week with our M115s, some of the guys call the big 203mm guns things like Reed's Tears or the like, but it was non-stop. We held the southern flank as well as provided arty support, though mostly we only ended up having to stop the occasional jacked up para-military force, hardly terrifying, but it kept us on our toes. It was a messy affair though, took almost two weeks to dislodge the Syndies, they were set on making Pitt their main holdout, but at the end of it all they had to pull back, and with almost nine thousand dead. That's not to say our boys didn't get slapped around though, almost four thousand soldiers, mostly from the 2nd Division died or are pretty much out for the count.

GwcCM6h.jpg

Near Clarksburg, Troops from the 169th Montana Infantry make use of captured Syndicalist weapons, in turn captured from the American Union State, and supplied ultimately by Germany, 1938.
"It was right after we took Pittsburgh that I ended up getting pulled from the front lines myself, things got really hectic for about a week afterwards, seemed like we'd really pissed Reed off and so the Syndies attacked the weakest point in the line; us. We'd expected some time to get repositioned and the like, get ammo and dig in, but no fuckin' way. Less then a week after they got driven outta Pitt the bastards came storming south into our unprepared positions, I think it was about a proper Corp worth, five or six divisions thundered into us- Jesus. The trees and hills there in West Virginia made the battle even worse, you could hardly tell how close the Syndies were until they were right on top of your position shouting slogans and trying to ram their bayonets into ya. Half the folks we saw couldn't have been much older then seventeen, but they had no qualms fighting for their cause. My squad was smack on a ridgeline overlooking a forested stream, and we got no warning until the damned reds were charging us from the treeline, hardly twenty-five feet away! Nothing we coulda done there would have gotten them to break, so we stood and fought... I mean, thank God they were only para-military, we lost Gerald and the squads light machine-gunner, Evan... Not to mention one of his loaders, Reginald. God knows we didn't have an actual NCO to command us, I did try my best though, until some fresh-faced kid popped me in the left hand with a pistol. Gerald was still around then though, and he laid into the kid with his Garand. Good thing it was my left though, I'm a righty. The battle ended as quickly as it began when another squad finally got to our position, I think it was 3rd Squad... So, we survived mostly, and I got carted off to the Battalion medical station for this damn hand. Doc says it won't kill me though, obviously, and I managed to get back to combat well enough, minus a finger."
VVnD4DG.png

Displaced residents of a Detroit locale trudge past the rubble of the city, 1938.

"I guess the other good news is that the whole Quaker affair sliced though Syndie lines and left a pocket in Detroit, which MacArthur abruptly stamped out. Outside of Philly and New York, the Syndies are pretty well out of good places to dig in and form a strong line, and from what we hear in the south, the AUS isn't even really a problem now, just Florida remains with em', and the intelligence folks are almost certain they don't have any combat-capable formations anymore. Some of the National Guard units are going down there to clean up. Huh, clean up. Makes you wonder what'll happen when it's all done and wrapped up, y'know? I don't think Garner wants to sit around, and I sure as hell doubt the Americans who didn't commit treason are pleased that the rest of the world played around with us like some toys. Sure as hell hope we get some form of payback on the Syndies, and on the damn Germans... I've seen too many folks hurt by French guns, German planes, and British tanks to not want some bloody revenge. Not to mention my own damn hand..."
F-feedback!

@Sandertje; I know how that feeling is, I sort of do it to AARs I read also, but Iunno, when I'm writing I hate going through all this and getting crickets metaphorically!

@Bill1993; It'd be one weird Overlord... Operation OverCromwell? I think we'd land in England more then likely, navy permitting!

As always, more feedback = happy Onikujo, so please don't be shy, post what you will!

Last edited:
This is great!

July 13th, 1938.
Trenches on the Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania.

kPOeiq4.png

Ships of the USN 2nd Battleship Fleet, the USS Colorado, Washington, and Maryland following the engagement off the coast of New York, 1938.

"Here we go again... Hardly even been a week and you're back here bothering me again! I only pick up so much in the course of a week or two y'know? Fine fine... Uhh? I know the Navy's been doing alright lately, despite losing like half of its ships to mutinies at the start of this storm, when the Western states came back the naval war was sorta forgone in its conclusion. Just to make sure things were winding down and the French n' Germans weren't smuggling more gear in though, Leahy had established like an exclusion zone along the coast, and since the Syndies and Firsties weren't gonna get weapons from New England the result was to cut off new weapons for em'. Was obviously taking a toll on the Syndies, since they elected to try and break the blockade a few days ago- They ran their entire fleet out into the waiting guns of the Navy's big battleships. Wish I'd been on the coast when it happened, no less then fourteen battleships took part, plus all sorta smaller boats. Guess it was a rousing support for having captains- The Syndies deposed commanders and tried to sail by committee mostly, what a bloody mess, right? Iunno if that's true though, it's just a rumor, sure seems true though. The Navy bagged two Syndie battleships and lost like two destroyers is all- Tennessee got another one, think that makes three battleships and about as many cruisers, a damn fine ship, for being in risk of gettin' scrapped to save money.
CNF0mCl.png

Soldiers watch as suspected Syndicalists are made to ferry the bodies of recently executed troops from the CSA, in the widely condemned 'Upshur Massacre', 1938.

"Can't all be rosy news though, can it? Just like Atlanta a few months back we had another fiasco that only got discovered last month, literally right behind our positions in West Virginia too. Some division commander, Eckworth? Ekstein? He was in back on support duty, and he figured he needed to really drive the message across to the locals that the syndicalists were bad... by being bad? Dunno where he had the bright idea, but he went and offed a few hundred captured troops in Upshur, then forced locals he suspected of sympathizing to carry the bodies- Like, seriously?! What the hell makes a guy think thats a good idea?! We're hardly gonna look legitimate, or be accepted by these former reds if they hear we go around killin' folks who surrender! Needless to say, when news of it got up to the Corp commander, he outright had the guy discharged and imprisoned for it. Good riddance, I say. We've got enough problems in the front with Syndies and Firsties, last thing I want is to find out people are taking up arms again in the rear echelons! Syndies and Firsties killin' people for no good reason is one thing, they've got no laws or morals to abide by, but we're meant to be the good guys here, right?"
fN7SAp0.png

4th 'Ironhorse' Infantrymen skirt around an area of heavy resistance in Washington D.C., 1938.

"Just a few days ago though is when the real high point came in this terrible war, y'know. We lost DC I wanna say three weeks into the war, Garner had been advised that holding it was just not an option and a waste of resources that the weakened nation couldn't afford, so he pulled back to Denver- It'd been under Syndie control ever since, and I guess the time finally came for us to knock them outta the place and restore the government to where it ought to be. For once we got to actually take part in the attack, we left the artillery cover and such to the California boys while we plunged right into the city. We were the northwest sector, so we ended up moving down what was left of Route 240, and by this time we actually had trucks and armored cars, thank God... The 33rd, 7th and 6th all pressed in from the south, crossing the Potomac at Alexandria and then fighting up to the Anacostia for another crossing- The whole way they were getting shat on though, same for us. The moment we hit Silver Spring we were under constant fire from irregulars, paramiliaries, and snipers, and it made getting into the city proper a real hell of a trip. We stopped near on twelve times to clear out buildings or hardpoints that had been harrassing us, and thank God for the M2A3s and M3 tanks we'd gotten to come with us, they made the engagements a lot shorter in the end, sight of a lumbering tank comin' towards your position really scares the piss outta untrained militia folk. The real shit was when we got a few blocks down Georgia Avenue and into the city itself. Man, you could tell it'd been in a war, not to mention under Syndie control, the entire place was a massive wreck, with burned cars and barricades all over the place, and nearly two hours of slow moving later we got down to the Mall... Can you believe they turned the place into a mustering field for guns? They had what arty was left all dug in there for shooting south, sandbags on the capital building, and they downright torched the White House! About the time we'd gone in on the unsuspecting artillery, the southern force had crossed the Anacostia and was almost to the Mall, so then it was a matter of cleaning out the Capital itself and making sure everything else was pacified... My squad only lost two this time, thankfully only one KIA, the other guy ought to live was what the doc said. I can't wait for some leave after this blows over..."

The war is wrapping up now, the Syndies are in their final death throes!

Mkoll13; Glad you like it!

Subbed!

July 27th, 1938.
A small bar, New York, New York.

KTwcL9e.png

The final stage of the final operation in the 2nd American Civil War, 'Operation Liberty', showing the main thrust towards (Eventually) New York and Philadelphia, 1938.

"Talk about a battle for the ages, right? We covered damn near the length of Pennsylvania, Maryland AND New Jersey in like two weeks to end up here- And thank God the Army has enough sense in their heads to give us a much needed break. We'd been on a trail of pursuits with the nutjob Syndies ever since we knocked them outta DC, chasin' them all over the place, from Maryland into Penn, then down into Jersey, you'd almost think there wasn't so much a war and instead a game of tag. The cities we passed though were depressing though, mostly deserted, bombed to hell, a mess on the whole- Truly a monument to the horrible things that we're all capable of, given time and the tools for it. We hardly ran into enemies though, so we spent a lot of time cleaning up the roads we took for the soldiers who'd come up after us- I can safely say I hate the sight of shovels now..."
xeF4Hnu.jpg

US soldiers with a .30 cal Browning Machine Gun provide covering fire down a New York street in one of the many small engagements that characterized the battle, 1938.

"Bein' raised in Oregon, I don't think I'd have ever even seen a skyscraper if it wasn't for this whole matter, but it makes me sad that it took a God damn war to do it... First time in my life I get to see New York, and we head in from the west, artillery layin' into the place, half the towers were pretty much flattened already, that's not to mention the Battleships in the harbor shootin' at us- Well, the troops already in the city, and our own Navy blasting away from a ways out. You thought DC was bad? It was nothing like this, I gotta say. The Syndies were throwing everything they had left into the battle, their small air forces, the docked remnants of their navy, literally anyone who could hold a rifle and get one- All the while ships were trying to steam from port to escape for Europe, I think our ships took care of most of em', doesn't make it any less horrifying. Place was insane though, an entire city, partially destroyed, filled to the brim with rabid Syndicalists and cornered civilians with nowhere else to go, you can imagine how the battle went down already. Building by building we went through, clearing out literally anything and everything that had a gun- Officially it took five days, but I'm pretty sure that even now there's pockets throughout Long Island that are still holding out, and I feel sorry for the unlucky lads who didn't get to take leave... I know people wanna get payback on the folk who made a mockery of our nation and used the war to test out weapons, but when you look at New York and Chicago and all the other cities, you wonder how we're gonna get back on our feet..."
cocKkZ8.png

Recently trained soldiers celebrate the news that the Civil War is over, 1938.

"So, there you have it- We managed to defend our little slice of Liberty from the Syndies and right-wing Firsties, even if we had to cut some corners here and there to do it. As for where America goes from here? Don't ask me, I'm probably the last person to know. We still gotta get Canada to give us back Alaska and the canal, New England needs to come home, and so on so forth. I'll just enjoy the leave and the new chevrons, it ought to be nice to be allowed to actually command a squad now, hah! I guess we'll see what happens in the meantime- How the occupation of the rebellious states goes, foreign policy... Hell, even what'll happen to the initial decree from MacArthur that allowed me to join up. Rumors abound that I might get transferred out of the Army and back to the National Guard- Or even out of combat roles all together..."
cQhrIbl.jpg

An excited US soldier in New York following the end of hostiles, identified as one Staff Sergeant Cathleen R. Poole of Eugene, Oregon, 1938.

We did it, WOO, GO AMERICA.

Wars over, we won, wo owwowowowow!

@Bill1993; Canada is kind of a dick though, so odds of supporting them are less then they were before...

@Dr.Livingstone; Glad to have you aboard!

She cleans up quite nicely after being on the warpath!

I am interested to see if MacArthur will allow democracy again or if the US will continue under his dictatorship.

Your writing is excellent. What I like best about it is how you capture the language of the era. It's very much a 1940s voice rather than a 2000s voice.

And yes, you're always going to get minimal feedback as an author. Especially with this small an audience. Sucks, don't it? But don't forget you still created a little bit of awesome in the world.