• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Those lost Canadian divisions are going to hurt the Canadian player pretty badly. Unless things have changed dramatically in FTM/SF Canada can field somewhere between 10 and 15 x3inf divisions, so they've lost over 12% of their whole army!

(Not that Canada is a major power, but a small but well micro'd force could be a major pain for other players)

If I were the German player I'd be thinking about trying to sneak a couple of units behind the lines to try and break up French/British cohesion on the Seine. A couple of paratroop divisions dropped along the coast would allow that beachhead behind the river to encircle a good number of divisions, and perhaps allow the German exploitation units a chance to race for the victory points needed to force a French surrender.

Rather time to roll down along the Seine and force more Allied units into a retreat or be cut off. With a shortened frontline, the Germans can more easily defeat the remaining forces.

Actually I'm quite happy with the slow and very deliberate pace on all sides so far - this promises a long and well balanced game.
Concerning Spain and an ITA warentry to attack France.
Axis would gain nothing and ITA would lose preparation time + have to face the french navy which should be gone soon.
GER can easily defeat the Allies in France without dragging ITA in to the war to early (tying up frech forces on the spanish border is a + though. Very elegant).
Once GER moves its forces south and cuts of the Maginot fully it can bring its forces to bear on the entire front amd slowly move an armored "hook" up to Paris behind the river line.
(I wonder what GER is building that the Luftwaffe has so much trouble with Allied air though :rolleyes: )
I really hope the Axis plays it cool and doesn't rush Barbarossa or a JAP attack on US etc.
The Time after the Fall of France till Barbarossa/Pearl Harbour is a very lonely time for England... The time to squeeze them patiently out of the Med and close it fully.
(ITA could join the war after the fall of france, once GER is ready to support taking Gibraltar)
Keeping the US out of the war as long as possible is a no-brainer. (I wonder if the Threat system allows ITA to annex Yuge in mid term though)
Another idea might be for ITA to later puppet Vichy France in order to grab the resources and for a better connection to Spain. (this is possible despite GER guaranteeing..)
JAP hopefully gets enough time after sorting out China (which usually demands a focus on land techs and doctrines first) to prepare its navy before fully engaging the allies this time.

Can't wait for further updates!
Thelamon

PS
The CAG Bug is only partly solved in FTM 3.05 (the CAG may die at 0 strenght/0 org) but even with one measly 5% strenght and 0% org CAG a single CVL in a crappy task force can still hurt a well balanced and stronger Surface Action Group.
-> So be wary of the CV/CVL's and secure the Med by closing the entrances.

(I wonder what GER is building that the Luftwaffe has so much trouble with Allied air though :rolleyes: )

Perhaps a respectable German navy??? A little delay in the fall of France wouldn't be too bad at all if it meant even more pressure on the Brits once they're on their own. If the Mediterranean can be closed quickly, the RN put under pressure early, all the convoys routed around Africa with Axis subs operating from bases on the Atlantic, and a strong Japanese advance towards India...

Things could go south for the UK very quickly. I would love to see an MP sea lion - it may not even have to be a surprise attack!

Last edited:
Things could go south for the UK very quickly. I would love to see an MP sea lion - it may not even have to be a surprise attack!

UK player here: Unfortunately, as CtpEasy isn´t in the heat of action, some things are lost in this report. Among others are the extremely tough fighting between the BEF, French and Canadians and the German Panzers in the north of France. We barely managed to stop them at Dieppe; a crossing there would have meant a deep gash in out defensive lines. I also think the "Blitzkrieg" effect makes the German army quite the opponent. Even with non-stop bombings, I couldn´t keep the org of the German front troops down.

Also, the USSR attack on Turkey took time since the AI placed a fleet in the Bosporos (I think it was a sub, but I´m not sure). The air superiority over the western front was a welcome suprise for the Allies.

Oh, and as for an Italian Seelöwe, or Otariidae/Leoni Marini- Cpt, you are most welcome to try.

Oh, and as for an Italian Seelöwe, or Otariidae/Leoni Marini- Cpt, you are most welcome to try.

Wasn't trying to belittle your skill, you guys are all impressive players ;)

Just wondering if the Allies are nervous about the upcoming naval contest and hoping for an epic battle. Last AAR was much fun, but disappointing we didn't get to see the big tank clash at the end. Any chance we could see some screengrabs from the other side? :)

The update was surprisingly short :(

This is a disappointing update for readers , as not much happened!
And one month for Turkey is standard time.

The update was actually surprisingly long. 3 months. Rarely happens. And Sprites - I play to win, and not to make good AARs, although I hope I can make a good AAR from whatever outcome :) If nothing is happening it is hard to write much. And I have described Germany bashing through France so many times I find it somewhat boring. It is what happens afterwards that will matter...

And it took two months for SU to take Turkey, hence our growling.¨

Hm puppeting Turkey + the land gain from the Molotov/Ribentrop pact should even allow the Soviets to get the Black Sea modifier if I remember correctly. 20% leadership + 20% supplies make a huge difference for SU.

Exactly (although I'm not sure about the exact figures). That bonus matter more than the strategic value of the land, I think.

Still the complete absence of Italian action in this update seems unlike him.

I like to be unlike me :) Best way to fool your enemies...

Actually I'm quite happy with the slow and very deliberate pace on all sides so far - this promises a long and well balanced game.

Word! And as always - some really good points in your resume. Much of what you get away with as Italy in SP is close to impossible in MP - or at least extremely risky. Its just to look in previous AARs. That doesn't mean you have to be passive... but at least thoughtful. Italy have some really interesting set of posibilities.

And without promising too much... if we are lucky, one of the other players just might take up the pen and support this tale with a few screens and comments. Probably of pure frustration due to my one sided reports of my clever moves and their stupid ones... :D

Much of what you get away with as Italy in SP is close to impossible in MP - or at least extremely risky. Its just to look in previous AARs. That doesn't mean you have to be passive... but at least thoughtful. Italy have some really interesting set of posibilities.

I fully agree with your statement. Italy is facing some challenges in MP game as players do react to you, while in SP game, the AI doesn't, or only in some occasions. But, as you put it, "the set of possibilites is [quite] interesting".

Hm puppeting Turkey + the land gain from the Molotov/Ribentrop pact should even allow the Soviets to get the Black Sea modifier if I remember correctly. 20% leadership + 20% supplies make a huge difference for SU.

no you need romanian and bulgarian provinces for such a modifier.

The real problem with the invasion of turkey was the best laws it gave soviets for even a short time. If they get another freebie dow and stall it out for good laws again the Germans will not only have a tough time getting to moscow, but a tough time getting to kiev against the much improved soviet forces. It is also possible the soviet player kept service by requirement on, hence increasing his officer training capabilities for the remaining of the game.

I think it is foul play

And without promising too much... if we are lucky, one of the other players just might take up the pen and support this tale with a few screens and comments. Probably of pure frustration due to my one sided reports of my clever moves and their stupid ones... :D

Right on! I think even a random collection of not too revealing screenies would be super interesting.

Someone has to repel the fascist propaganda, don´t they?

@El Alwrence: As UK, I am very concerned about the possibility of the Axis ganging up on me three to one. I cant tell you my survival strategies just yet though. However, as we don´t allow pausing during MP games, there is the real possibility of "overload" if you gang up 3 against 1- it´s really hard just keeping track with what is happening, and fatal mistakes can easily be made.

Someone has to repel the fascist propaganda, don´t they?

@El Alwrence: As UK, I am very concerned about the possibility of the Axis ganging up on me three to one. I cant tell you my survival strategies just yet though. However, as we don´t allow pausing during MP games, there is the real possibility of "overload" if you gang up 3 against 1- it´s really hard just keeping track with what is happening, and fatal mistakes can easily be made.

Hi Zid,

you might use the Canadian player as your "Alarm System" in one Theatre.

Depending on an evaluation of Canadas capabilities the CAN player might also consider co-oping UK for a couple of sessions once the crap hits the fan.
Or the French player untill USA joins...
(To bad that HoI3 doesn't have Mil-control any more - we used crossover Mil-Control between Allies in HoI2 MP games to avoid overload in different Theatres.)

Looking forward to screenshots and reports from the other side!

Best regards
Thelamon

Hi fellas. Was looking at your rules, and would like your permission to pirate some of them for our next North American Series game.

Thanks in advance.

I think it is foul play

Foul is a little harsch, I think, but the present rules creates bad incentives. We will try to re-structure the HR that worked well in SF to limit this behavior, as FTM works quite differently.

Hi fellas. Was looking at your rules, and would like your permission to pirate some of them for our next North American Series game.

Sure thing - as long as you make an AAR about it ;) It is a good set of HR if you want to prolongue the game and make it follow history a little bit more. Keep in mind that they are not adjusted to FTM yet. The present game will hopefully see to that, though.

Just wanting to say that I'm enjoying this MP game just like all your others. I am in Afghanistan right now and it's a bright part of my day to see an updated session to read. Give 'em hell, Cpt!

Just wanting to say that I'm enjoying this MP game just like all your others. I am in Afghanistan right now and it's a bright part of my day to see an updated session to read. Give 'em hell, Cpt!

I'm glad to hear. When you are in the real shit you need all the joy there is. New chapter within the hour.

Carnage al Dente

Chapter VI - The Battle of France, Part II

Human players: Germany, Italy, Japan, UK, France, Soviet, Canada
Only one on Germany this time due to shortfall

Recap: Turkey fell to Soviet. Japan and Italy were quiet. Germany advanced slowly through France, who was supported by Brits, Canadians and remnants of Belgians. The battle for France is far from over or certain...

1-3.jpg

December 6th, 1939

Soviets thirst for war was not easily quenched. Persia was next.

Authors note: As our house rules were made for Semper Fi and threat obviously worked a little differently in FtM, I think Soviet got a little more freedom than we originally meant them to. Well, these are the things that happen with new patches and versions, and I sure it’s quite even for all sides. I still think it is something we need to fix for next game.

Authors note II: We later agreed in concensus that Soviet should not attack any more minors if Axis didn't - trying to simulate how the HR worked in SF. But it always tricky to change things during a running game.

2-3.jpg

December 14th, 1939

After a long stalling autumn, the Wehrmacht finally got a break and managed to push deep into France, shocking the defenders. Still, France has not lost much and still seems to be quite strong. It is too early to break the champagne.

3-3.jpg

January 13th, 1940

One month later, and Germany have managed to keep the faster pace. France is stumbling backwards and do not managed to stop the Wehrmacht. Paris, and a huge chunk of the French army, is threatened to be caught in a pocket. This might be the break.

4-3.jpg

January 18th, 1940

The trap is shut. This is the end of France. Paris will fall, and with it as much as dozen divisions or more (no exact number is known). It is not that the defense of France will be really weak, but the remaining armies can only disturb the on-march – not stop.

Now, the battle of Paris.

5-3.jpg

January 23rd, 1940

The freezing battle of Paris was terrible, but not really long. The Germans mounted a powerful attack, including several engineer brigades. The defenders, consisting of as much garrisons and already broken men as determined regulars, fell like a house of cards in a blizzard.

After the extremely slow autumn, the winter events came so fast the Axis was stunned.

6-2.jpg

February 3rd – February 13th, 1940

The 3rd of February, mainland France crumbled and became Vichy France. The original plan was that Italy and Japan would simultaneous attack United Kingdom the moment France well. However, they were so surprised with the sudden fall of France (due to an event and not surrender process) that they were not prepared. It took another 10 days until they declared war, and that even without being fully prepared.

Alea iacta est.

Authors note: Axis did not know about the event “The Fall of Paris” that drastically changed the speed with which France fell. Well, it turned out quite interesting this way. It is time to throw the Italian heroes into the fray.

The plan as such is quite simple. We will give UK hell for a while, and see how much damage we can inflict. I don’t really expect to do any Italian land-gains. Gibraltar will be mine, but my coming offensives in North Africa and East Africa will not be strong enough to inflict serious danger, I think. But they can become damn annoying.

The sub-warfare will hit UK all along his convoy routes. I expect it to be painful. Still, not as painful as planned. Royal Navy managed to spy a whole bunch of German subs as they left port and sunk many of them – some with following port attacks. As a result, Germanys convoy war will be much weaker than intended. The major problem for UK will be the Japanese pressure. With Siam on the Axis side, entire Burma and India is open for the Chinese hordes. Also, when we give UK battles on all fronts, Germany will enter the stage…

Once again a rather short chapter. Same reason as the last. Nothing more happened during this session. I assure you the next one will be longer and more varied ;)

Last edited: