• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent, it just means Austria no longer has those bits you don't want.

Annexation is the answer ;)

To All: Now I really can't be sure of update times. I have 2 weeks until my exams, and its all guns blazing revisionwise. I'll try and get something out before half-term but we'll have to see. As a side note, do come and look at my new side project, The Triumph of Evil, which is a Spanish AAR with which I intend to develop the style I have aquired here into a more formal history-book. I don't intend for it to supplant it, indeed I only wrote the first update bcause I had some spare time today. It is going to be something for over the summer when exams are finished and I have an awful lot of time on my hands. (That'll mean three AARs) Any of you who were hoping for a continuation of the Rocky Road, as I promised, may be dissapointed, but I have delayed the sequel until HoI3 (and the subsequent converter from Vicky to HoI3) is released.

demokratickid: Or a hell of a lot of troops. Remember, thats only a part of my regular army on that map.

Kampf_Machen: Nice to see someone with a positive attitude to all this. I can show them all, can't I :) With the Sicillians, I am both amazed and bemused. I was amazed they had the audacity to land there in the first place (though its not like I have any navy to stop them) but bemused because, despite Berlin being only two provinces away and no troops to stop them, they just sat there. Anzio...

Enewald: A die or a slightly smaller possiblity of death situation calls for a hard desicion.

Director: Make peace when I am at the gates of Vienna? That was never going to be an option. For now, Hungary is the lesser of two evils, so Austria is rolling the dice, but it is only a six sided die with the probability of survival being a double six....

Hardraade: Austria is fighting with its back to the wall, no doubt, and if the Russians fail to be of any assistence, then Austria is as good as dead.

phargle: And if I do loose, I will probably only have to give up what I had already won, then come back in five years with my reserves mobilised and destroy everything in my path. That would be a little... predictable, though.

PrawnStar: Urrg, Non-National POPs. Yummy south germans with factories. Yes please :)

Yummy South Germans? The only girl I've met from Munich turned out to be an English girl who liked rules. She was yummy but when they're divorced twice by twenty five and not a celebrity...

Isn't Austria mainly South Germans or are there a few other bits left? It sounds pretty much like Austria dumped most of their non-Germans outside of Bohemia-Moravia.

Robou - I'm an optimist. Don't forget to take a piece of North Italy, mainly Venice. It's be great strategically for a future German Mittelmeere Flotte. Besides it's the historical German thing to do after all. Haha.

To All: Update should be this evening. Will be an action packed one as far as I know :)

PrawnStar: Austria proper is mostly South Germans with smatterings of Hungarians, Czechs, Italians etc. It would most certainly be a nice addition to my economy. There are plenty of Germans in Bohemia-Moravia, though Czechs are in the majority with Germans making up the next largest poriton, and the Poles and Hungarians making up the rest. However, there are small pockets of South Germans all over the Empire, including large portions in Hungary and a lot in Transylvania (because of German migration there in the 14th C. I think).

Kampf_Machen: Have to win the war first, but there will be big questions if the war is won as to what to do with all the non-German land. Some hard decisions to be made in the future, no doubt.

comagoosie: The Russians will get a nice surprise :)

1849: Securing the Flanks

Across the whole ‘eastern front’ of Germany, mainly in the areas of Łódź, East Prussia and Posen, there had been a general feeling of fear among the German populations. Many people packed up whatever they could into wagons, though not onto trains, and had been prepared to move westwards as soon as the news of a Russian column approaching was heard. Berlin had anticipated this Refugee surge, and had made some preparations, such as siphoning off land ready for temporary camps and storing surplus provisions of anything that could be useful* to mention but a few precautions**.

Some of the more resolute settlers were not prepared to leave, and were formed into militia’s, outfitted with whatever uniforms and weapons could be had, ready to try and harass and hold up Russian formations for as long as possible to give the German Army enough time to arrive. Of course, many male settlers had already headed further west to answer their countries mobilisation call, so these militia units were neither large nor efficient**.

There were many questions to ask as to the status of the Poles. In most of these eastern regions, Poles were in a majority (or a very close minority) and Prussian, and later German, treatment of this race had not given any reason for the Poles to show an ounce of loyalty to Berlin. While many of the revolutionaries and rebels had been arrested or shot by the Prussians during the ‘Polish Pacification’ of 1836-38, any Polish uprising, be it small or large, could have caused major problems to the German government. Acting without orders and usually without evidence or reason, the militia units were brutal in making reprisals against any action deemed to amount to Polish nationalism or anti-German thinking. As Russian units advanced, albeit slowly, into German territory they were hailed as liberators by the Poles. Often these Poles then turned against the local Germans violently***. While the Poles were still indifferent to the Russians, the recent change in Russian policy in Congress Poland and the withdrawal of the Cossacks from the region had not gone unnoticed by German Poles, and compared to some of the atrocities committed by the Germans, the Russians seemed quite liberal. Although the Polish nationalist feelings came to nothing; in fact revolutionary activity was actually at its lowest point since the pacification, it would be yet another worry for Berlin.

It is debatable as to whether, had the Russians ever taken a major Polish city, such as Łódź, the Poles could have risen up, but this is not possible to know. The Russians weren’t able to take a major population centre before the German army made a quick recovery against the shock declaration of war. Reserves that had, initially, been intended to go to the Austrian Front were diverted eastwards. On a cold March morning, a train pulled into Königsburg station and sat for a few minutes. Locals gathered, some thinking that it had come to evacuate the townspeople; all in the knowledge that the Russians had just entered Gumbinnen, just over one hundred kilometres away. However, when the train cars opened, hundreds of grey and black clad soldiers began streaming out and into formation on the platform. In surprise the local’s eyes opened wider. Trains were new, yes, but they had never heard or seen anything like this before. For the first time in history, trains had been used to transport essential war material; men, straight to the frontline. In the following days, thousands more men arrived, and this was so all along the front. By requisitioning public and private railways, the government, in a matter of six days, was able to transport over 250,000 men to their positions. It was a truly amazing achievement, and showed the world the true value of railway systems and fighting a war through industry as well as battles. In Austria, lacking the necessary infrastructure, the huge number of reserves being place there had to mostly march by foot, but the influx of new troops soon had an effect.

trooptrain.jpg

Forget Charge of the Light Brigade, this is modern warfare!

Within a matter of days the front began to look more positive for Germany. 60,000 reserves had moved and attacked the Italians in Pomerania, and forced the surrender of the entire army of 22,000 men after but a few days of battle. With this, the only major threat to Berlin was defeated, as well as practically negating the Kingdom of the Two Scillies from the Unholy Alliance; at least as a useful asset. 120,000 Germans smashed into the 70,000 Russians in East Prussia, and although the Russians placed more resistance than the Italians, it was clear they were out-numbered and out-gunned. A further 60,000 Germans counter-attacked in Poland, and pushed Russian formations back into Congress Poland, though not having the power or impetus to continue on to capture Warsaw. An important 100,000 men went to reinforce Galicia, where the 22,000 Prussian Dragoons had been severely beaten in the one area where Russian intervention had been met with huge success.

Although German reserves had met with no astounding successes, and in most places doing no more than holding their ground or pushing Russians out of German territory, they were important victories. The war with Russia was not the primary worry for Berlin; naturally Austria was. If ground could be made against the Russians, then this was fine, but it would do little to further the war effort. What was more important was that the flank of Germany was secured, so that troops in Austria could fight the Austrians only. They would need this liberty, because a big war was just about to get a lot bigger.

Notes
*These were requesitioned off civilian companies with 'promises' of compensation after the war.
**The men were often old soldiers or young boys, and with officers required to outfit the reserves, they were usually officered by town clerks, the mayor etc.
***However, due to the small amount of land taken by the Russians before they were turned back, only fifty Germans were killed, and German soldiers often hunted down the Poles who had done the killing once the Army arrived.

Last edited:
Apologies for two things. Firstly, that I did not update last night. My parents forced me to watch 'Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Cystal Skull' with them, despite me having already seen it. By the time it finished it was too late. Also, sorry for that update. Unfortunately, looking at my screenshots, it was not the action packed one; that'll be next. That was just one of those boring updates that have to be written...

Don't worry about that. It's a nice update nevertheless.

Does the german government has any plans for dealing with the polish question in he future? Germanification?

If I may correct you, the polish pacification was certainly not in 1936-38. Perhaps you may correct it.

Another reason why Poland doesn't exist in Victoria very often... they tend to become a battlefield between Russian and Germans... always. :p
So you just put your reserve troops directly to the front line? :D
Dumb AI...:rolleyes:

A good steady war, with good victories, nothing not to like :)

Good work in saving Prussia. Now it is time to take Austria and form the Greater German Reich :D

Alright, nothing terribly amazingly good or bad has happened, so i guess we still have our options for forcing big victories from them... *whew*

Good update, no need to apologize mate. Things pop up sometimes. Lookin' forward to the next update.

Good plan to concentrate on Austria in my opinion. The sooner you annex Österreich the better. No need to let future wars between brothers erupt. So have the English and French stopped fighting yet or did I miss that?

Poor old Austria, such a same that they always lose. Lose lose lose and never win. Well, better for you and the German people alltogether I will see. Deutschland über alles!

Good progress. I feel kind of sorry for the Austrians. Oh well stronger Germany is always better. I wonder if this big war getting bigger could involve France. That would make things very interesting.

Germany's once desperate situation now seems stabilized. Assuming that the bear can be held at bay, it's only a matter of time before Austria is ground into the dust.

I am, however, concerned about that last line about the war getting bigger. I hope that yet another country is about to declare war on Germany.

To All: Folks, a month and a day from now, I will have finished some of the most important exams of my life. Until then, updating this has to come secondary as you all understand. However, I got half the afternoon off from working today, so have a little more spare time than usual. Enough to write an update at least. And what an update. I think this is going to be the most exciting yet, even if I haven't written it. Well lets see. Should be up in just over 3 hours at most.

Treppe: Thanks. The Polish question is to dealt with a little later (should be the next 2 or 3 updates) though not sure exactly when. It is going to be quite a recurring one, though, i'd guess.

Enewald: Not directly the frontline... a province behind it. The rest they had to march. I was just highlighting my nice new railroad system that has kind of been neglected in the updates.

English Patriot, demokratickid:: But also nothing to jump in the air about. The real victories have not even started yet. I need big battles with big wins to force an end to the war.

Tommy4ever, volksmarschall: They are better under my rule, I am sure. I am generally a better coordinator than my computer, though I do have my moments. If I do annex Austria, we'll see first hand what the Austrians think.

comagoosie: Well... trains. Wait another 70 years and add Automobiles and another 40 years on that and about 60 pages on in the AAR and you'll have planes. I stick with trains for now.

Kampf_Machen, Avatar018: My screenshots show that those two are still fighting it out well past the end of the war with Austria and Russia. Its a very tough fight. This is a rare occasion when two seperate major European land wars coincide.

Hardraade: So many possbilities for people declaring war on me despite the Franco-British War. Who can think of one apart from those two giants? :)