• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Prussian rule expands in America, in detriment of the US, maybe take advantage of the civil war in the future? :D

Capibara said:
Prussian rule expands in America, in detriment of the US, maybe take advantage of the civil war in the future? :D
I invaded CSA as Mexico once.

It was awesome. :cool:

I occupied the entire south from Texas to Georgia, when the "Countrymen again?" event fired and USA inherited CSA.

I suddenly owned all provinces I had occupied! :D

robou: ...The Prussians offer to purchase Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico (and Cuba) will make nice jumping off points for any military action into North America ! ! :D

robou:
...Cuba would be the thing to rock the boat, if it came.

even so, it would seem that only the Southern half of the USA would have a complaint with the peaceful change of ownership of Cuba ! ! ;)

robou:
...The only thing on the lips of Europe was the situation in the Levant.

that is important, but it may be that what is happening in America will be of more importance ! ! :D

excellent update ! !
:cool:

To All: Ok, no update tonight, but I do promise one tomorrow. You have my word on it. Unfortunately the 1840's are proving to be rather dull.

Enewald: Unlikely that the Americans will have a civil war early, but the tensions inside the states are begining to get to boiling point. Most likely they will be given off as a war verus me and Mexico.

comagoosie: You can buy provinces, and I do make a regular habit of it in most games to neaten up my borders and so such. And yes, Cuba will cost me more, but by that time I will be able to support even great costs as my economy takes on an even better shape... I hope.

likk9922: No, but it would make for an interesting situation. I am considering make some fillibustering events, but the North would never consent to an illegal war.

Doge Robert: You are incorrect about the buying and selling of provinces. VIP does not allow Uncivillised nations to sell provinces, that is a way of stopping China from selling provinces to the Russians for a quick technological boost. Civilised nations can trade any and either way. As for the story-line, I am trying to keep it flowing as best I can, and thank you for your kind words. As where to go next; as you may have noticed, I like to let my future enemies come to me, although it requires patience. I select my enemy, find a way to get them to attack me, and I get the bonuses of a defensive war: No loss of prestige for declaring war, less BB for conquered provinces ect.

PrawnStar: It doesn't :) Thats why playing as someone like Sweden, you can buy your way across the Baltic without incuring the wrath of the Great Powers.

stealtherella: Thats great to hear. If you want to comment on them, either comment on their threads, comment in a designated section here or send me a PM with your thoughts :) It would be very much liked at my end if you did ;)

Ahura Mazda (1): Shamless self advertisment ;)

Capibara, Ahura Mazda (2): Intervention, especially into those nice juicy Cotton provinces, sounds like a good idea. Ahura's plan sounds quite good, though I feel it would be a little gamey. I would find it very hard to explain in story terms.

GhostWriter: Well I already have Hati and Mexico, but controlling the Caribbean will give me total control over the Gulf coast, and hence, be great for putting plently of troops down on American soil, in the event of war. But yes, as stated before, the North would not and could not submit to a war of which it gained nothing and especially when it was illegal by international law. But as you may know, the South has a way of pushing the North into an action which it does not, at first, want to take: The Mexican-American war for example. And you are correct, events in America will have world wide consequences, of that I am almost certain.

robou said:
Capibara, Ahura Mazda (2): Intervention, especially into those nice juicy Cotton provinces, sounds like a good idea. Ahura's plan sounds quite good, though I feel it would be a little gamey. I would find it very hard to explain in story terms.

Not that difficult, you can say that during the Civil War you decided to take advantage of the situation and occupied some CSA territories, after that, civil war was over before you could make a peace agreement with the confederates, but refuse to hand them back to the US, their government, tired and weakened because of the civil war decides not to contest the ownership or something like that ;)

Capibara: Not that difficult, you can say that during the Civil War you decided to take advantage of the situation and occupied some CSA territories, after that, civil war was over before you could make a peace agreement with the confederates, but refuse to hand them back to the US, their government, tired and weakened because of the civil war decides not to contest the ownership or something like that ;)

i am not so sure about that. IRL, the USA kept France from taking over Mexico with the size, experience, etc. of their military after the ACW...

Ok, I have given this some mmore thought, and although I could use what Capibara suggested, there are some flaws in that. I mean, I got enough of a reaction from invading Mexico, so imagine what France and Russia would think if I went and annexed half the southern states of America? Not only would the USA declare war on me, but most likely France, and possibly Russia, which is not exactly a risk I would like to take. Regarding the exhaustion of the American nation after the ACW, I would think it to go somewhat like this: Yes, the nation itself is hurt and exhausted after several years of brutal warfare, but the Army is larger than it had ever been, and it is experienced. Not only would Prussia have been aggressively trying to take over US territory, therefore giving Congress a reason to go to war, but would also be dealing with one of the largest Armies in the world at the time. Experience, as well, would have been gained by the US armies by the end of ACW, but I guess that would be discounted by the experience of my troops through the various wars they would have fought before. As such, I have decided not to use the afformentioned method.

1843: Peace is War

At face level, and certainly at a general level, the year 1843 could be passed over as an insignificant and fast moving year for Prussia. The nation was happy, the industry was growing and the army was at peace; it was just like the other year, 1842, that had followed the Mexican-Prussian War of 1841. However, a more intense look at what was going on in the political and military machinations of the country revealed a picture of a country that was readying or a war. Who that war would be against, few knew, but there were some likely candidates. France was a primary enemy, but the troops deployments seemed to suggest that France was not the target. The USA was also high up on the list after its outrageous demands and shouts, but again, the army was not deployed to fight a war against the United States. The only real enemy that Prussian deployments allowed the Prussians to fight was the Austro-Hungarian Empire to the south. Indeed, over 90% was positioned along the new borders with their southernly German neighbour. It was also true that Austria was looking a harder target by the day, even with the death of Kaiser Franz I, the process of Magyarization continued to proceed under his son, Kaiser Ferdinand I. A few days after his coronation, Ferdinand declared that all members of the Empire should not only speak their native language, but also Austro-German and Hungarian. The Hungarians, the second largest group in Austria-Hungary after the Austrians themselves, bathed in this new found importance, and patriotism as a member of the multi-national Empire flourished. If it went on much longer, it was likely that army number would swell with an influx of Hungarian recruits. However, the Austrian Army still proved to be a very culturally diverse and divided force.

The signs were all there, and the whole of 1843 was a year in which the Prussian Army reformed, expanded and readied itself for an undeclared war. However, Europe seemed to not notice the aggressive reformation of the Prussian Army, and not a word was spoken about the reforms outside the most high-ranking officers in Berlin. If Europe had been somewhat more diligent in looking to its borders with the aggressive little nation, perhaps it could also have taken precautions, but as such, it didn't. According to Prussian sources, the French even went as far as too decrease their border garrisons by several divisions, even though they were not really needed anywhere else. The Austrians were somewhat more cautious, with the large build-up of troops on her border not going un-observed, but, not wishing to anger Prussia into declaring another war, only moved 20,000 men too the border. Then there was Russia, the great giant on Europe, with an army to match. Yet there was not a single division deployed along the Prussian border. Some took this as complacency among the Russian high-command, whom thought that no-one, and certainly not little Prussia, would dare take on the might of the Bear. But as it was, Europe was not ready for any war, when at last it would come.

So what were all these signs? What had Prussia been so diligently working on for over a year. Well the first reform came at the start of the year, when funding for more research came about. Research into medicines, combat and civil, had been undertaken; mostly because of the disastrous consequences of the feared Yellow Fever and other tropical diseases that had been encountered in the Haitian and Mexican Campaigns, and now the army requested the funds to further develop the military. In Mexico, the army had noted the huge success of the Jäeger detachments, which used the 1835 Neue Korps-Jägerbuchse (otherwise known as the 'Potsdam Rifle'), due to their modern firearm. The main infantry used old Muskets, and although the Rifle could not fire off as many shots per minute as the Musket, it was highly accurate to a long distance. By adopting Muzzle-loaded Rifles instead of Muskets, the infantry firepower, although not as large in volume, would be much more deadly. Admittedly it would not be easy to give the whole army, nearing on 169,000 men, these new Rifles, but at least the old Muskets could still go into the service of the reserves. Hopefully, Rifles would prove to be the way forward.

Another sign, and this should have been a strong one for the French (who as stated before were weakening their border garrisons), was the starting of the construction of a series of fortresses, redoubts and trench lines along the Franco-Prussian border. Although the border, at this time, was still short, the Prussians were clearly readying themselves for the French to invade. Not only would the French now have to struggle over the Rhine River, but then take this system of forts, at the time defended by over 24,000 men, as well. Plans were also being discussed in Berlin of starting to construct defence systems similar to this along the Russian border, though primarily in East Prussia, to help the small Prussian defend against the endless hordes of the bear nation.

commanders.jpg

The new organisation of the Higher Ranks

The final changes, coming late in the year, effected the army very suddenly, and took even many Prussian officers by surprise. First, and most important, was the reorganisation of the Officer's Corps. It was decided to renew the highest ranking officers and create a more vibrant army. As such, Field Marshal von Wrangel was demoted to Lieutenant General, and no longer held his position as Chief of Army and Chief of Staff, although he did keep a field command of a corps. In his place, Karl Friedrich von dem Knesebeck, an old General who had experience in the Napoleonic Wars, was given the rank and chiefly positions (A position called 'Generalfeldmarschall' in German). Quite why von Wrangel was replaced by von dem Knesebeck isn't quite clear, though it is likely that von Wrangel sometimes caused too much of a stir, and was suspected to be politically motivated. Under the new Field Marshal was a base of four experienced Lieutenant Generals: Karl Freiherr von Müffling, Hans Ernst Karl Graf von Zieten, Friedrich Graf von Wrangel and Kronprinz Wilhelm Friedrich Ludwig von Preußen; the King's son. The lower ranking officers remained the same.

Knesebeck.gif

Generalfeldmarschall Karl Friedrich von dem Knesebeck

The final two signs were both to do with the direct and immediate expansion of the armed forces. The first came as a result of the huge influx of extra muskets due to the re-armament program. The number of muskets was so huge, and the size of the Prussian population had increased so much so that, during that one year, 80,000 more men called up for reserve duties. To do this, the system of age of reserves was changed. Men were now liable to be called up anywhere between the ages of 17-53, though due to inefficient bureaucracy meant that many were able to dodge the system. As well as this, the regular army would also benefit. Firstly, the Dragoon Division, only standing at 10,000 men, was to be expanded to Corps strength, with 22,000 men. A whole new division was recruited for the purpose. Another division was also formed for the Infantry. This was the Leibgarde, which had before been a regimental sized bodyguard for the King whenever he was out in the field. It was decided that, as the nation grew, the Leibgarde would begin to fill a different role. Instead of a bodyguard, they would be expanded and fill the role of elite shock and assault troops. At first, the expansion was small; the regiment was only expanded to fill up a division, but this was intended to set a base for more troops to be assigned to the Leibgarde. To do this, it was decided that if a soldier from another division distinguished himself in combat, his superior would report him to the Leibgarde who would then decide whether to accept him in or not. That way, they could always ensure that the Leibgarde had the best men available in the whole of Germany. The idea was somewhat similar to that of Napoleon's 'Old Guard'. Due to these reforms, the military now had at its disposal an extra 100,000 men, which gave a total (at full strength) of almost 600,000 men when the country was full mobilized for war. Suddenly, the bear did not seem quite as intimidating as before. Europe should have been more aware of the huge resources Prussia now possessed.

Last edited:
600,000 men, that is amazing!

Also weird how Europe hasn't taken any action, you would think they would attack before you got too strong. There could be kinda like a triple alliance against you. Russia, Austria, France vs. you. Ahh, too bad that the AI didn't think of that :D

Anyways, let us hope that von Wrangel, didn't get offended and wants to take revenge!

Last edited:
The title of this update rather sounds like "1984: War is Peace" to me, but that's just me :p

I love that huge military, Prussia is growing fast :D

It’s all coming together quite beautifully.
A new world order is forming underneath the very snout of the old bear.
Soon Venice will be yours or at the very least Austria will be at the behest of Prussian mercy.
Excellent.

robou: ...Then there was Russia (with) was not a single division deployed along the Prussian border. Some took this as complacency among the Russian high-command...

more likely, lots of revolts somewhere in that huge country ! ! :)

excellent update ! !
:cool:

ComradeOm: So forts on the French border, armies arrayed against Austria... that still leaves you exposed to the East. A possible chink in the armour?

possible, but i doubt it much risk with no Russian divisions on the Prussian border... ;)

I have just caught up to speed. It's a very good AAR. :)

I have just read OHGamers Prussia AAR which was amazing as far as the economic aspects were concerned, and now I'm trying to learn a little about warfare and picking targets from your AAR. With a bit of luck I might just end up being a decent player. I haven't played this game for a very long time, so I need all the advise I can pick up. :eek:o

Keep up the good work.

I just finished reading, very good AAR! Though I am a more of a historical player myself, I enjoy the expanding of your Empire, robou! :D

War with Austria! War with Austria! :D Now it's the time to show the world what the Prussian army is capable of :)