• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There.. I've finally caught up with this excellent AAR.. I've recently purchased Vic:R myself (although a boxed version, which does not allow registration :mad: ) and I'm curious to see what strategies work and where the pitfalls are.. :)

Splendid AAR, consider me subscribed.. Keep it up.. :)

To All: Right, the level of feedback just got better, I really have to hand it to you all, you're all fantastic! Anyway, I was intending to write an update tonight, but as normal, the force intervened. Yes, my mother. She forced me on a shift and carry mission in IKEA, so I have been on my feet all day and have only just got back. I wouldn't want to give you an update that is substandard, so I will hold onto the update for the night and post it up in the morning after a nice hot chocolate a so-such. Hope you can all wait a few hours longer, and for any Yanks I apologise that this will mean you cannot read it until you get up in the morning.

likk9922, M79: You guys sure can come up with some strange things now and again. I wasn't too worried about M79's first statement, but the whole George Bush thing was rather disturbing. ;)

Ahura Mazda: Technically no. They still own coastal california (which is US cores), but most of the US cores are in the hands of Apache, a Mexican satilite that will be decreased in size by 'white settlement' events and secede land to Mexico or USA, depending on who won the Mexican-American War, and hence who own Apache. Look into the VIP sub-forum if you want a closer look at how it works. :)

Eöl, Edzako: Certainly giving land back to Mexico will be high on my list. I intend to be nice to my semi-autonomous colony. What will actually happen... well God knows... :p

Treppe: Well nothing on the scale that you do, but where i feel the game does not cover things, I will make an event. So things wouldn't be too complicated for me having people saying I am unfairly modding, I try to keep things away from Prussia itself. This event chain I worked on is completely out of my hands. Compared to your modding, it is nothing. :cool:

Doge Robert: Well if I can help you out in learning stuff, it is a great pleasure for me too know I am doing so. if you ever have any questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to see if I can help. :)

robou said:
likk9922, M79: You guys sure can come up with some strange things now and again. I wasn't too worried about M79's first statement, but the whole George Bush thing was rather disturbing.

:rolleyes:

Just doin' mah job. :cool:

robou said:
Treppe: Well nothing on the scale that you do, but where i feel the game does not cover things, I will make an event. So things wouldn't be too complicated for me having people saying I am unfairly modding, I try to keep things away from Prussia itself. This event chain I worked on is completely out of my hands. Compared to your modding, it is nothing. :cool:

And what I do is nothing to the elaborate work of the VIP crew but if you need some help just tell me and I'll do my best. And thanks for the compliments.

I'm sorry to hear that the evil empire of IKEA just "killed" your day.

1841: International Outrage

It did not take long for news of the Prussian invasion to travel round the world and have consequences all around it. Britain took an odd path, and acctually condoned the invasion, obviously wanting to annoy France and befriend Prussia. True, it would mean an end to the adventuring of British Expeditions into Mexico, and the lucrative arms deals that Britain got from selling Muskets to the Mexicans. But on the other hand, it would kill two birds with one stone; namely the United States and France. They both had very public voices talking over intervention in the area. The French tried to cover it up with claims of debts and damages, but the world knew that it was only a cover up for Imperial Ambition. As for the United States, their famous 'Manifest Destiny' was thought to Britain as dangerous and absurd. Saying that you had a simple destiny to rule of a certain area was not good enough for the British, and if Britian and America were to ever work together, the idea would have had to be dropped. It had also become clear to the British that shouting out at the Prussians and calling for an end to their Imperialist ideals was not only hipocritical but also irrelevent. It was, by now, clear that these shouts were having next to no effect on Prussian decisions, and that Prussian would continue to expand her Empire without a care for British intrest, unless that intrest benefitted Prussia itself. The pre-1840's British foreign policies had been only a hinderence, but a slight one at that. It was clear that Britain was taking sides, and many in both countries hoped that this would be the start of much bigger and better schemes to bring the two countries together.

The Americans were, however, not so happy to condone any invasion of a land so close and so vital to the United States. People were begining to see just what would become of 'Manifest Destiny' as that had become clear when Texas declared independence, even more clear when the Treaty of Velasco was signed, but still no one did anything. Granted, the Prussians had not wished to disturb the United States, though they did not see them as a threat to a country that had toppled one of the Greatest Powers of the old world, but they had. Americans in the South of their country, namely the men branded 'Fire-eaters' were causing a fuss and almost an international embarassment to Washington. These men in the south were detirmed to push the United States into a war against Mexico, and now their protector Prussia. These men were worried that if this did not happen, no more Westward expansion into what they called their territories, would simply not happen. They feared that Mexico, under close Prussian supervision and guidence, would seek to increase their control over the Apache tribes of the area, and make them states of Mexico. With more and more territories in the north joining the Union as states, the latest being Michigan and Wisconsin, the southern slave states would be outnumbered by the northern Free states, and the southerners feared that would make passing pro-slave laws through congress much harder. Westward expansion to make more slave states was seen as needed to maintain the balance of the Union.

No slave state would yet go as far as to suggest dis-union, but their calls were strong and met with good support in congress. The President, Martin van Buren, was being pressured by many in his cabinet to take some action, perhaps in the hope of gaining the south's votes in the coming election. Ultimately it was too much for him to handle, and he took a different path.

USAprotest.jpg

The van Buren comprimise

In the end, after much debate, it was clear that the United states, at that time, could not hope to take on Mexico and Prussia at the same time. The Army was too small and the state militia's too weak and badly organized. Instead, it was decided that Washington would lodge a protest agaisnt the Mexican government that their expansion into Apache lands was threatening the welfare of American settlers. The American Ambassador to the Emperor's court delivered the message and was met with disgust.

From as far as Gustav could see, there was no threat on American settlers, as his ministers backed him up on, but the threat was serious. Gustav was not in any correspondence with van Buren, so could not know that the Americans did not intend to go to war over the situation, so he took it as if they were. The Mexican Army was also weak. Most of it had been destroyed at the Battle of San Luis, the Prussian forces had returned over the Atlanic or to Hati, the Mexican troops to guard Prussian holdings were still moths away from being battle worthy, and what was left of the Mexican Regular Army was currently in Prussia recieving the best training possible. As far as Gustav could see, Mexico was in a precarious position. In the event of things, Field Marshal von Wrangel, who had stayed to oversee the first few months of the Mexican Armies re-building and to asess a situation just like this one, suggested that Gustav give up a useless peice of land that would hold the 'Fire-eaters' at bay until the Mexican Army was ready to fight again.

As was fitting, the peice of land best though to appease the Americans was hardly under Mexican control anyway. Mexican holdings in the territory the Americans called the Colorado, after the famous river, was selected to be handed over for several reasons. After the Treaty of Velasco, this area had basiclly been cut off from Mexico by the Texans taking over New Mexico. Only the bravest of Lancer Captains would be selected to patrol the area every year or so. In other words, Mexico would loose next to nothing by giving it up. Also, the territory was split between the Apache and Cherokee tribes. In the eastern half, the US Cavalry and Dragoons patrolled the Cherokee Lands, protecting what few American settlers were brave enough to live in lands controlled, primarily, by an age old enemy. In the West, the Apaches, under Mexican 'protection' were left to themselves as no Mexicans lived in the region. The United States would be happy to unite the territory, even with two different tribes, into one. So, the offer was sent to Washington to be reviewed by congress and the President.

offercolorado.jpg

The Mexican Offer

The offer was met with mixed feelings back in Washington. The northern senators were happy to accept the offer, preventing war and gaining ground at no cost. Their southern counterparts were not so pleased. It was doubtful if the territory would be accepted as a state for much time to come, and then if it was, if the state would be Slave or Free. Most believed that the northerners would get their way and make it a free state. The President was happy to accept the offer, though he did not think of the consequences. However, now the Northern States outnumbered the Southern states, after Wisconsin and Michigan were admited to the Union, and with the President's blessing, the offer was accepted. However, it was the end for Martin van Buren. He had not, obviously, thought out the consequences of accepting the offer. In one fell swoop, he had lost all support from the south and hence, lost the elections in May, 1841. It was the end for van Buren, though he most probably saved the United States walking into a disaster. He had paid the price for saving his country, and would never return to office.

colorado.jpg

The Area in question, Western Colorado

Prussia also escaped lightly bruised in Europe. France had gone mad that Prussia could have invaded Mexico, taken it sucessfully and then gained British blessings. As far as they could see, France had as much, or even more, of a right to own Mexico as the Prussians did. For France, this was the last straw. First Prussia had beaten Austria, increasing the chance of a German Unification that France so feared, had taken Hati, a place France had both debts to be paid and territory to one day be reconquered, and now Mexico. France had had enough of Prussian filibustering and now they would act. France moved all available troops to the Rhine and prepared to invade. Prussia was strong, yes, but 50% of its Army was still recovering from their ordeals in Mexico, and no troops were on the Franco-Prussian border. The French would be Berlin before the Army could even get on the road. It was a dire situation. King Fredrick-Wilhelm was in a session of the Reichstag talking about authorising mobilisation when a miracle struck.

A tired messenger entered and handed the speaker a note. Enclosed were the details of a meeting of the Great Powers, organized by Britain, to engage with brining the conflict in Syria to a close. If the British had organized this to save Prussia, or simply out of self-intrest in the region, would never be known. It was a god-send, though, none the less.

The situation in Syria was this: Mehmet Ali, Governor of Egypt had taken land in Syria and Arabia during a war between him and the Sultan of Ottoman Turkey during 1831. Now, with a strengthened Ottoman Army, Sultan Mahmud was hell-bent on taking the land back and re-asserting Ottoman control over Egypt. His hopes had been destroyed, much like his Army, in the sand of Syria. Mahmud died of shock when he was told of his armies defeat at the battle of Nezib; his old heart could no longer take the stress. However, it was in the best intrests of the British that the Ottoman Empire remained intact, as a buffer against Russian expansionism. Therefore, the British were pressuring the rest of Europe, including the Russians, into forcing Mehemet Ali to accept the deceased Sultan's wishes. The Great Powers convened, and it was decided by all, even the erstwhile ally of Egypt, France, that Ali should accept the claims. After several procrastinations by the Egyptians and a threat of British invasion, Ali accpeted the claims. He was to be kept as Governor of Egypt, for going to the trouble of giving up half his kingdom and submitting to Ottoman control.

ottomancrisis.jpg

The Treaty of London, end of the Second Oriental Crisis

But, why, some wondered, did this save Prussia? The answer was simple: time. The signing of the Treaty of London, with all of Mehmet Ali's hold-ups, meant that France and Prussia could not fight a war with all attention focussed on Egypt. The French and Prussian ministers did not talk to one another, but that did not matter. The French had been halted for a precious month of treaty signing, giving the Prussian Army time to recuperate and reposition to the border. When the French were again ready to a fight a war, they found 100,000 Prussians facing them. Their initiative was clearly lost. In the end, the French simply ratteled their sabres at over the Rhine at all of Germany, not just Prussia. Granted, the Germans knew they had escaped lightly, but the Rhine Crisis still sent shockwaves over Germany, and it was clear that France was no-longer willing to give any ground to the Germans. This was where the line ended and where the wars started. However, there was good to come from the situation. Without knowing or thinking they would do so, the French had helped Prussia take another step towards becoming the power the German Princes looked too. It was clear to those Princes who was leading them to greatness and not to decedance.

Last edited:
Well, some interesting international politics going on here. ;)

I'm surprised there wasn't a more robust American response. Surely the Americans at least hae a Navy worth discussing - a blockade of Mexico? And Prussia sounds bloodied from the war, and Mexico was just beaten. Two beaten countries rather than one vigorous Mexico seven years later. . . I dunno. The Monroe Doctrine is the biggest casualty here.

I wonder though if the war of 1848 will still trigger.

oh yeah, only good things came out of this update which is good.

France looks dangerous but I suggest that you build up and prepare. You never know the Austrians could hold a grudge.

Not bad at all.. :)

You've gained Mexico and stabilized it, mollifying the USA, while destabilizing it and thus causing it to focus inward for the time being, giving you an even longer time to strengthen your grasp over Mexico.. By the time the USA is ready, if ever, to actually try and enforce the 'Monroe doctrine', as it will probably later be called ;) ,it will be far too late..

And then Egypt, the godsend, which saved Prussia from a hard war with France. Not bad at all.. Of course, showing strength in the face of French Invasion will only strengthen the links of the chain, you are slowly forcing around the necks of the German Princes.. Well done.. :)

Excellent update.. :)

robou said:
Without knowing or thinking they would do so, the French had helped Prussia take another step towards becoming the power the German Princes looked too. It was clear to those Princes who was leading them to greatness and not to decadence.

Great! Perfect political play.

Now, are you looking to become Germany sooner in 1850? I think it would be the case, as the German Princes already turn their hope to Prussia, not Austria.

likk9922, M79: You guys sure can come up with some strange things now and again. I wasn't too worried about M79's first statement, but the whole George Bush thing was rather disturbing. ;)

Disturbing is the thought of hybrid Prussian-Texan, Prussian-Californian, or Texan-Californian cultures and what they might spawn...

To All: I am away until friday in Istanbul, but there will be an update on saturday morning as soon as I have got back and played some more game. Until then;

likk9922: Blame it on the French... :p

phargle: But the American army stands at 4 regular divisions in total, hardly enough to subdue Mexico. And if they were blockading Mexico, there would be a distict risk of Prussian transports sneaking through holes in the USN. The 1848 war should still trigger just fine.

comagoosie: Are you suggesting a Franco-Austrian alliance to combat Prussia? It is unorthodox, but a scary possibilty. I will keep my diplomatic nose ready for it.

asd21593: Patience, carefully applied force will do it: ie. 500,000 Prussians.

Eöl: Make that 1,000,000 Prussians. 500,000 for each front.

Doge Robert: Well I haven't really de-stabilised the USA. So they lost a president, no big deal. They gained Colorado and i gave them +5 prestige (ok so it isn't that much). I don't really know what my Ally will do. He might build a ton of troops or might build none. Who knows?

Raden Shaka: My policy has not been to set a date for when I want to be unified. I will take what chances come, and see what is given to me. If I have to wait until 1870, then I wait until 1870.

M79: I will do my best to prevent it. Though part of the 'Hohenzollern of the Mexican Throne' event for Mexico landed 50,000 Prussians in Mexico City, so god knows what will come of it.

Ahura Mazda: No. Well I don't think so. I have never taken Mexico before 1848, so I don't know what the USA will do about it.

Enewald: Seeing as I have your blessing... ;)

robou: ...Prussia also escaped lightly bruised in Europe. .. and no troops were on the Franco-Prussian border...

i suspect that the real reason that France was ready to declare war was those no troops on the border. a real test to see if that is the case is to empty your borders with France of troops when you are ready for war ( pull your troops just out of sight of the French border troops... :D )

robou:
...But, why, some wondered, did this save Prussia? The answer was simple: time.

AKA "saved by the bell" ::really nice::

robou:
...It was clear to those Princes who was leading them to greatness and not to decadence.

it would be nice if you achieved German Unification earlier than 1870 ! ! ;)

excellent updates ! !
:cool:

I was talking more about the story than about the game itself, I believe.. :)

And your description of the Slavers versus the Non-Slavers distinctly seemed to paint the picture of a somewhat destabilized country.. ;)

But then, in my own AAR, I sacrifice the game over the story whenever necessary.. and then work through the night to make the game mirror what I told in the story.. ;) Not always an easy job I might add.. But well worth it..

In this case, I might be tempted to start the civil war earlier in the states or perhaps grant the South either an advantage (if they manage to rally support based on what might be seen as a distinct 'harrass of southern interests' by the North) or a disadvantage, as they might not be as powerful as in OTL.. But perhaps that is satisfyingly pictured by them not having all the territories they did in OTL, if I understood your update correctly.. But that's just me.. ;)

No matter what.. It's an excellent story and I enjoy it immensely.. And to me nothing else is more important than that.. :)