• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good stuff, reasonable gains but... that looks like a job half done, could you have pushed harder into Austria and gained more? I'm guessing there's something else going on that the Vicky players understand straight away - like you're running out of money so you need peace.

The mysteries of Paradox peace systems are great, profound and frequently beyond me ;)

Congratulations Rob on your ACA :D It's very well deserved!

Wow- good war, great peace deal! :)

Since you are like my mom, I guess I have to post a comment for each update ;)

1st: Mexico, aye? This has the potential to be great but also the potential to be disasterous, kinda like all risks ;)

2nd: heh, so Austria did want you wanted them to do. Who cares if it was a bit early. Also I didn't know that each regiment had 10,000 men in it. :eek: And Austria seems to be a bit weak. You took their capital in a jiffy!

3rd: Wait, what the, in one of the battle pictures it depicts a regiment having more than 10,000 men, how is that possible! It is comical that both of you had the same casulties :D I like the gentleman peace you made. You didn't take too much and you showed that you could beat Austria.

Well it was inevitable that Prussia and Austria would go their separate ways but with such a convincing victory the former can now emerge as de facto leader in Germany. The next time France rattles its sabre (and IIRC the Rhine Crisis should be occurring soon) it will be Berlin that the lesser German states look to for protection. In historical terms of course... I have no idea what VIP has in store for you!

And congrats on the ACA. Is there anything you haven't won in the past month? ;)

Feedback Time

English Patriot: That they are, and all cores :)

Capibara: It is only a matter of time, Mexico first though ;)

stnylan: I don't think that stung too much... i hope

CollossusCrusher: It is, it was just covered by a Beer Mug, the sign of the Bavarian Capital :D

phargle: If i didn't think that it might destoy Russia, i would. Russia is weak, surprisingly so... not that i will tangle with them yet.

cegorach: Interesting ideas, though i fear VIP will make sure nothing too far from history happens.

asd21593: They have cores on all of Bohemia, and Prague alone costs something like 30% warscore. They would never have accepted unless i had taken all of Austrian territory which i couldn't because of my crap economy :eek:o

PrawnStar: Victoria has a core of 8 Nations that basiclly boss the world around (the Great Powers). Austria is one of those at the start. Austria also takes up a fair portion of central and southern Europe and is inherently weak due to the deep racial divides in the county. In short, i fear that if i broke Austria too much, she would too readily break apart and destroy the careful balance of Central Europe and the Germans would be prey for Russia and France.

English Patriot and Capibara: Thanks ;)

likk9922: Thank you, i do try :D

comagoosie: Victoria works in Divisions not Regiments. 12,000 men is a Brigaded Divisions, 10,000 is a Division. I fear you are stuck in your EU dream world...

ComradeOm: In name only, unfortunately, is not good enough for the game system. And i think i have been awarded everything in July and early August.... no comment. :p

kalenderee: Be kind now, but you have a good point.

To All: update a little delayed as i accidently deleted it and got annoyed with my computer. Should be up in about an hour.

1839: Benefits

While the war had been going on, several beneficial events came about because of it. The first was news from the Government Research Department which reported that it's army oriented research into ideas of how to make the army more professional were finished a little ahead of schedual. This was, of course, in part due to the continuing war effort. The war had started just as research had been coming to a close, but now the researchers had a brilliant chance to test their new Army Professionalism Act in the field. The effects could be seen immideately.

Prussian Officers, who were now chosen by skill instead of wealth, proved themself more competant than most of their noble Austrian counterparts. Forward units of the research department witnessed several battles and proved that Prussian Officers and Troops, being of better training and with more purpose for fighting, would hold longer and press the attacks harder. While we can see that this might have just been propaganda, there was no doubting that most Austrian Officers had next to nothing in military training. However, to be fair, there are always a few among the nobles who are bright military commanders.

Logistics also proved, not only better, but crucial to winning the campaign. Prussian troops fighting hundreds of miles within Austrian territory were as well or in some situations better supplied than their enemies who were fighting deep within their own land. What would have happened to Austrian logistics if they had taken to the offensive within Prussian territory is not even possible to imagine. Also, the logistics proved vital in moving huge ammounts of reserves (80,000 men) to the front quickly and efficiently to bolster both attack and defence. Had this not been achieved, it is doubtful wether the attack on Vienna would have been succesful.

The war had ended, though, and the research was finished. A new project could be funded. The Reichstag could not afford to fund something that would end up costing the country a lot of money; Prussia needed to get out of debt and more expenses would not help this endevour. Instead, the King suggested that, with the Liberal 'Wave' threatening to engulf Germany via Hanover, research into ideas about Idealism would be a good idea to try and understand what exactly these Liberal minded people were thinking. A team of men was selected from the University of Trier and begun their research into the understanding of Neokantian and Hegelian Idealism. On a side note, they also took great interest of another native Trieren; Karl Marx, who was currently writing a book, though still in the works, about the certain ideals of worker.

idealism.jpg

Research into Idealism begins

During the war, inspectors had been sent by the Reichstag to inspect the efficency of Prussia's Small Arms industry. Their report, studied by the King and a hand picked team of leading-industrialists from other secotrs, reported that the situation was bad and several steps would have to be taken to ensure that things improved. After further research by the industrialists, it was seen fit to call the Inspection Team to stand before the Reichstag and argue their case for a cause that most thought extreme.

They had preposed to limmit the hours that Children could serve in factories per anum. Over a third of the workers in the small arms industry were children. The British had done the same thing a few years previous with some good and some bad results. A few of the inspectors suggested banning Child Labour full-stop, but this was rejected almost unanimously. The other inspectors argued to the Reichstag that children were not suited to that kind of work and that they could not do the level of work that an adult male could achieve. The Reichstag could not deny this, it was common sense. As a counter-argument, the Industrialists claimed that the Army was at war and needed the males to fight in Austria. If the adults went into the factories, the army would be robbed of recruits, so the whole procedure would be counter-productive. The Inspectors then pointed out that Prussia was a country of over 17 Million people and the army and navy when fully mobilized only required 500,000 men to fight; and at that it was rarely fully mobilized.

At this, the Industrialists began to lose support among many of the hung Reichstag Members, and word that the King was in support of reducing Child Labour hours swayed many more. With the supported they needed secured, the Child Labour Law was passed through the Reichstag in May, 1839.

childlaborlaw.jpg

The Child Labour Law is passed

A month after the Child Labour Law became enacted throughout the Kingdom, the war had ended. Prussia was victorious and had been given the Sudetenland in the Treaty of Luzern. The economy now needed to recover, pay off the debt and reap the profits of victory and the new provinces won. And the Sudetenland was a land rich to be reaped.

In the eastern parts, the coals mines around the cities of Troppau, Cieszyn and Zator began producing for Berlin instead of Vienna. Prussia could hardly claim to lack coal mines, the Rhineland was abundant in them, but the new additions still added more weight to the Prussian exports. They would, no doubt, assist the economy in its growth. Unfortunately, these areas were mainly populated by Czechs and Poles; Germans were a minority, so the productivity of the region, due to these people un-willing to assist the Germans, was restricted.

A much more important region was the northern Sudetenland around the city of Karlsbad. These areas were heavily populated with Sudeten Germans, happy to serve either Vienna or Berlin rather than an independant Prague. They worked in the rich Iron mines of the region. Prussia could not have wished for anything better. The country desperately needed Iron. The Rhineland had small deposits but nothing like the ammount needed to fuel the huge steel industry of the Kingdom. Admitedly, the productivity of the iron mining industry was weak. So much was wasted during the process of extraction. This would eventually improve, but for now Karlsbad was a god-send. Prussian imports for Iron were halved and the economy now had a breathing room to make some healthy profit. Hopefully this need would be erased utterly within a few years. Perhaps Prussia's next target for expansion might have Iron mines, but it was still in doubt to when that colonial ambition migth occour...

post-wartreasury.jpg

The Treasury recovers slowly from the conflict and pre-war debt

... it was sooner than people would have thought.

Last edited:
Prussia has to keep the momentum up. To stand still is to risk slipping back.

Aah, thanks for the explaination as to why you didn't hit Austria harder, fear of the Bear's hug - which is entirely reasonable I may add :)

ahh...good to see your economy improving greatly due to more iron terrritory. And the way you sounded like, it seems that you might get a couple more provinces rich in iron. Is there an economic map so that we can get an idea where are the resources are, that could give us a better view on to where you are going to or be attacked.

The rest of Bohemia are utterly rich in coal and iron and the people to work in them. :)

Taking them away would seriously cripple Austria though, may be too much for your intentions. They'd be left with the Galizian coal mines, a few in Austria proper, and what, a few random provinces in the Balkans?

Plus, it would be a while before the next war, and you hinted at colonial expeditions rather than another European conflict. I don't know where you'll find more iron though, hmm: the New World? Bolivia/Peru has a few iron mines you could rob (plus extra sulphur is always good!), and then there's always Mexico, which the Prussians were already planning to get into before the Krakow affair...

Hmm yes, perhaps Mexico... Korea... there isn't all that much in Africa, so that's straight out...

Okey, I decided to visit Vicky forums and read this aar. :D

And I likes it!

But I haven't played vicky for 2 years and the same is for ricky. :eek:o

I just suddenly begun missing the game... :p

To All: Unfortunately for you all, I am not dead. I have been a bit robbed for time lately, but I got play until 1841 done tonight so I post something medicore in the morning when I am somewhat more awake. Sorry for the delay. :eek:o

asd21593: I wouldn't be too apprehensive. Taking 80,000 troops across the Atlantic takes some time. ;)

stnylan: Quite Right, even if the French don't like it; and believe me they won't like it :eek:

phargle: China was on the list, but if needs be Mexico has a few Iron mines. I only need 1.2 Iron production to lift myself clear of iron imports.

PrawnStar: Pleasure, if you need anything else explaining I will be happy to do so.

comagoosie: Rich in Iron... no. But they will have Iron. As for economic maps, there are but i prefer explaining what has what to you, takes up more words ;)

Irencius: Perhaps in a few years, the Austrians will have enough Techs to be able to come clean without the rest of Bohemia, and by then i might be strong enough to stave off the bear.

likk9922:
Plenty of prestige in Africa... ;)

Enewald: Are you wearing shades like i told you? :D Now tell me, are you missing the game so you read this, or were you reading this and then started missing ricky? If you were just lying in bed at night and then though "damn I miss Vicky" i would be in serious doubt about your sanity.

Eöl: as you command... :p

ComradeOm: Quicker than I thought acctually! :eek: