• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Haiti.

I'm just trying to imagine Prussian Voodoo...

Think about it.

Weird isn't it.

PrawnStar said:
Haiti.

I'm just trying to imagine Prussian Voodoo...

Think about it.

Weird isn't it.

Lutheran mind control. :eek: :eek:

:rolleyes:

comagoosie: after ten years it will stop being a pain in the backside though :)

stnylan: for now, most certainly. However it was a step that needed to be made for reasons that will become more obvious later

Ahura Mazda: Sugar and Tabbaco... its ok but not the greatest RGOs ever

Capibara: damn you know exactly what i'm upto :D

phargle: Accutally it was re-reading that AAR that made me want to invade Hati, you said how good it was, so i did it. All your fault mr. Phargle

asd21593: Why is everyone going 'poor Poland' and 'poor Hati'? I am trying to forge and Empire here! :p

English Patriot: Join the club. I was obviously behind until this AAR :D

asd21593: well i have not played very far, so i don't know how lucrative it will be for a while yet...

germanpeon: you have to love my imperial cousins ;)

likk9922: i was unsure if it would work well (the images for Hati are so bad and mishmashed) but if you like it i will use it more often.

Force Change: if only i could speak in binary, i would use that argument against the AI

Ahura Mazda: Not bigger than Cuba though :)

Babington-Smyth: well yes... or some redoubts ;)

PrawnStar, likk9922: whoa that is wierd

Force Change: Lets see... Cuba: Genocide, British Islands: Troops, Hati: Naval base. Should be ok :D

To All: Thank you for your patience and i will have an update out soon today.

1837: Quiet Times (World News)

Domestic News

The end half of 1837 was a quiet one for Prussia. Little happened of note although three events did stick out. Firstly, II. Korps arrived back at Danzig in late October, having lost 2,000 men out of 21,000 on the campaign, a big loss for the size of the campaign they had been involved in. Most deaths were attributed to the tropical illnesses and the like which plauged European armies on tour in the tropics. The Battle of the Petionville Heights could only account for a mere 124 casualties and the storming of Santo Domingo another 357 men. It showed how much of a dire need there was for combat medicine to treat these diseases that plauged colonial conflict. General Wrangel had asked for more funding from Berlin to study and begin development of these treatments, but had been denied. Funding was already going elsewhere.

Where it was going had not been disclosed to anyone, apart from the King, high ranking members of a Reichstag and several of the top economists in the Kingdom. This was because new funding was becoming available from the government for technological advance after the Army Professionalism Act was finally fully researched and enacted in early December, 1837. What had been proposed and then accepted was a economic mission to the United States of America. These hand picked men would go and study how the economy tied in with the Federal Government in Washington, the reasons and effects of the Panic of 1837; a drop in the American markets which caused panic selling and buying of shares which disrupted the economy of both the USA and Mexico, and also a look into the Wall Street stockmarket in the hope of opening a similar enterprise in Berlin. The team was assembled and already half way across the Atlantic before there was acctually news that government funding had been securely gathered.

stockexchange.jpg

The German Economic Mission to the United States of America begins research

The other notable event was the government funding, and the subsequent 60% shares the government had in the business, of a Chemical Plant in Saxony. Although Prussia already had a government run Chemical factory outside of Berlin, another one in reserve would be very useful. Government workers, however, would not start work in the factory immediately as a lack of Iron would mean this product would have to be imported in even larger quantities than before hand. Instead, the factory would lay dormant until Prussia could secure better and more efficient Iron works from another source apart from importation.

World News

The first world news to reach the Kings semi-anum general meeting with the Reichstag, a procedure that took place when nothing of intrest was happening and King and Reichstag would not have to convene often to discuss matters of great importance, was that from Spain. It was apparent that even without Austrian and Russian military support, the Carlist forces were still able to hold their own against the Isabellinos. Attacks into the Léon and Aragon areas had vastly improved the Carlist state of affairs and although they were outnumbered, the situation still looked like it could go either way. With Barcelona and Zaragoza under seige and most of the Isabellinos forces throwing themselves at the most easily defendable piece of land the Carlists owned, Morella, the Carlists could come out victorious.

spain23.jpg

Situation in Spain, December 1837

The only other areas that caught the Kings eye were the goings on in South America. Though hardly in the Prussian's sphere of influence or, for that matter, general intrest, the King was interested in the two ongoing conflicts and their progression on the continent.

The First was the Farrapos War, between Brazil and their rebellious Piratini Republic. This had dragged on for sometime now, with Piratini forces having the early advantage of Brazilian unreadiness, marching into southern Párana (Santa Catarina) and claiming themselves to have saved the people of Southern Brazil and proclaiming the Juliana Republic in Párana. It was not to be, however. The Brazilian Regent, Father Diogo Feijó, was quick to act, sending Brazilian forces to overwhelm the Piratinos. The Juliana Republic was overrun and the northern parts of the Rio Grande do Sul were also taken, but a firm defensive line, organised by Guiseppe Garibaldi held them off. The entry of the Uraguaian Forces on the side of the Brazilians changed that, although still not all that much. However, facing a war on two fronts, the Piratinos will fail or falter. The question is which?

pira.jpg

The Situation in Southern Brazil after Uraguay entered the war

The other conflict was taking place in Bolivia. The Bolivian-Peruvian Confederation, dominated by Bolivia, was begining to come apart as the Peruvian's began mass revolts all over the country. Taking advantage of this, though they claimed to be acting in the best intrests of the Peruvian people, Chile and Argentia decided to invade Bolvia and force the powerful confederation apart and destroy the most powerful nation on the continent. Chile was beaten back, though not defeated, and Argentine forces made no headway, but with revolts still on-going it was hard to say if Bolivia could keep itself from fall apart. Chilian and Argentine pressure did little to help.

peru.jpg

The Peruvian War of Independence takes shape, with Argentina and Chile entering the fray

Great update! Nice overview of the world, but, what the hell is Garibaldi doing in Brazil?

Nice overview. Some very important wars going on (are you going to participate in any?). Anyways I am surprised at the Carlists. They are not holding out but they are expanding. I must give pats on the back to the general of that nation.

Also it seems that South America is gripped by war, should you take advantage of that? You do have a nice little stepping stone called Haiti where you can land your troops.

Willie seems like he's trying to be an educuted man. Now I really hate him.

Why are you going for stock market? My own preference is to avoid the market reforms until later in the game, but I am not that experienced in Vicky so I'm wondering at your intentions. As for the story itself, I like the way Germany looks around to gauge how it should improve.

Capibara, Garibaldi works for the Piratani Republic to help win their independence. It's one of the reasons they rock so hard until debt cracks them.

Oh, and yeah! Use Haiti as your excuse de allamagne to meddle in the affairs of these nations in South America? Maybe you could edit an alliance with the Brazilian king - shutting down the revolutionary-minded Garibaldi and helping a New World monarch are things a Willie might like.

Always nice othave an overview.

Nice takeower of Haiti. I must try that myself in my next Victoria game. I wonder what you shall do next.

So Carlists are refusing to get defeated. I wonder how long they can hold. And South-America is in turmoil. Are you perhaps intervening in there at some point?

Hmm, I definitely wouldve prioritized the Medicine tech, if thats what you were referring to at the beginning of the update. More population growth and less attrition always looks good to me. Are you really that short on cash?

Capibara: what phargle said

comagoosie: I could 'assist' in those wars, but suggest what i would get out of them?

phargle: well i normally miss out commerce techs until the end, but me doing that might give you an idea of just how dire my economical situation is :(

stnylan: my golden rule 'when there is nothing to write about, write an overview' :D

DarthJF: Of i am going to intervene somewhere, just not particulally there. Will be highlighted in the post after next.

Force Change: A firm base is the place to take on the toffs

germanpeon: In one word... yes

update is coming in the next hour or so

1838: The quiet before the storm

By the time 1838 came around, it was clear that the economy was in failure. With almost a third of the industrial capacity of the Kingdom made redundant by the ending of the importation of Cotton and Dye, the economy was struggling to make any money, and all that was being made (and more from the treasury) was being spent subsidizing the new industries. In short, it was destroying the economy quicker than anyone could have ever imagined. With the collapse of the American markets the year before, and they were still recovering, Prussia looked destined to end the same way. When the King overruled a Reichstag decision not to give funding to a new Luxury Good Factories (it would appear that the King wanted to furnish his palaces for a cheaper cost than importing) the treasury was forced to take out loans upstanding of £800,000* which could easily, if not quickly dealt with, force the Kingdom into bankruptcy.

Luckily, the Riechstag had already taken several precautionary steps to ensure that the economy would not be totally destroyed if something like this did happen. During the start of January, a group of wealthy Berliners were sigled out for 'promotion' and were assisted in becoming part of Junker society. These capitalists would be encouraged to invest in the building of railroads and factories without government funding, both for their own pocket, and for the fact that the government had given them a boost in life. The ironic thing was, the cost of this 'promotion' was so great that if it had not been carried out the building of the luxury goods factory would not have sent the Kingdom into debt.

However, perhaps sending the Kingdom into debt was, in some lights, a good thing. Afterall, it did teach the King that the country simply could not afford such extravagances. It also laid way for certain politicians to help the King believe that expansion of Prussia's land via military conquest might perhaps be a viable way to increase the profits of the Kingdom. Of course, the first step along that road had already been laid by Bismarck, but what else could the Prussians aspire to? Perhaps more colonial ventures, or perhaps conquest of Terra Europa.

capis.jpg

New Capitalists

Not all was negative in 1838, and there was some good news to reach the Kings desk. Not only was it good news, it was very important to the security of the realm. The news was that the army's campaign of pacification of 'all ideals of Polish Liberty' was at an end. It is hard to say if the Poles had really been pacified, and perhaps as soon as the troops had left they would continue their revolutionary activities. For the time being, at least, General Wrangel, the new Chief of Staff; an award given to him for his service in Hati and the quick victory he had given there, assured the King that no trouble would come about from the Poles. Perhaps certain events might change that, but on the whole those were out of Prussian hands, and most certainly out of the army's hands.

This confirmation meant that the entire army would now shift downwards, swinging into Silesia to take up positions for whenever the Austrians decided to strike at Kraków. Hopefully they would be able to hold their own until the reserve divisions had been mobilized and moved to the Austrian frontier. At least the Austrians had not already acted, otherwise half the army would have had to march from northern Poland just to reach the frontier, whilst the Austrians would most probably have been sacking Silesia and the four divisions that were stationed there as part of the Pacification campaign.

pacif.jpg

The Army begins its march southwards

Other news that caught the attention of King was the sudden change of the situations in South America. In less than two months since the last update had been recieved from the Reichstag, the situation had changed radically, and not in favour of Prussian thought either, though realistically it meant little.

In Bolivia, the confederate government had scumbugged to foreign and internal pressure. General Agustín Gamarra had declared Peru officially independant and himself as President of the new nation. With few Bolivian troops on station in Peru, nothing could be done to stop Gamarra from doing so. With Peru independant, both Argentina and Chile claimed that they had beaten Bolivia. In the peace agreements, signed in Yungay, Bolivia recognized the independence of Peru though signed over no land to Chile or Argentina. Both the attackers agreed, they wanted prestige not land. The War of the Confederation was over and a new nation was re-born.

peru.jpg

The War of the Confederation is brought to a quick close, ending the Bolivian-Peruvian Confederation

The other news was from the Piratini Republic and was dire indeed for Brazil. General Bento Gonçalves had escaped Brazilian imprisonment and scurried over the border into the Juliana Republic. Raising 7,000 Cavalrymen from the loyal Julians, he had freed the occupied republic from behind the Brazilian Army's back. 30,000 Brazilian Infantry and 10,000 Cavalry were now stuck between Gonçalves' and Garibaldi's men. With General Antônio de Sousa Neto annexing Uraguay a few days before hand, the situation looked bad for the Brazilians. Though it was likely that the 40,000 men could easily break through the 7,000 Julians, if Garibaldi and Neto moved quick enough, they could surround and destory almost 80% of the Brazilian Army. It would be a great victory and would ensure the Dual-Republic's independence from the Empire of Brazil. This would not be to Prussia's liking, as a great Liberal Republic's victory over a huge Conservative Empire could have disastrous effects if news spread over to Europe. Intervention was seeming more popular among more of the Conserative-Radicals, but even the King was considering it too.

piratini.jpg

The Brazilian Army is surrounded

-------------------------​

Notes:
* £800,000 = £8000 in game terms

What! Dont think about going to South America! Europe will surely frown on that. GB and France aren't happy at you and you don't want to make that worst. On the otherhand, if you think the benefits outweigh the risks...

comagoosie said:
What! Dont think about going to South America! Europe will surely frown on that. GB and France aren't happy at you and you don't want to make that worst. On the otherhand, if you think the benefits outweigh the risks...

He's not going to South America, he's going somewhere else... :D

Hmm who is cutting off who... ;)