• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
comagoosie said:
Is war going to come against Hannover? Is it a wise move? Is hannover rich? Who will you be fighting against if you do declare war?

I am in suspense, I can't wait for more :D
1. Dunno
2. Nope
3. It can't afford a toothbrush
4. All of Germany

Liberal thinkers cannot me tolerated! Hannover must be conquered :D

There appears to be some scope for opportunism :)

Looks like this is coming along handily, Robou!

What was that hodgepodge of countries surrounding Texas? Without looking back to see, I'll ask if this is a mod that uses Deseret or something, or if there's some other reason related to Victoria Revolutions (which I don't have yet -- <<runs off to read the thread about the Victoria Complete Set>>)?

Rensslaer

comagoosie: Ahura Mazda answered it all for me, apart from the first point to which the answer is a resounding no...

phargle: If i might speak plainly, you worry me somtimes, sir

English Patriot: The actual event rises militancy by +1 which isn't too bad, but might have effects if more Liberal events pop up.

Ahura Mazda: right on the ball, although not so sure about the tooth-paste...

asd21593: Thanks!

Capibara: Do you ever stop wanting to conquer everything? Though i am taking steps to help Mexico, i promise

stnylan: where? *looks around* :D

oddman: Whatever oppertunity i get to unify, i will take what is given to me

Rensslaer: I'm using VIP 0.2 so i will explain. Red is Texas, Blue is the US, Green is Mexico, Light Blue is Cherokee (US satillite), Dark Brown is Apache (Mexican Satillite) and light Yellow is Sioux (US Satillite). It is a complicated 'white settlement' system set up by VIP which i won't explain but you can go look it up if you want. It will have little effect on my game.

To All: No update today, but tomorrow one for sure. I am then away until sunday so no updates then either.

Last edited:
Interesting situation there with Hannover...

1837: First Rung on the Ladder

Prussia decided that with all her political adversaries looking the other way, now would be the time to strike the country to stike its first blow and show off its military prowess. The King was most eager to flex the armies muscles, but when Military and political advisors told him of who was to be targeted, he was appartently disgusted. The adivsors had informed him that the target for Prussia's outburst was Hati, a nation that controlled the Caribbean Island of Hispaniola.

The advisors informed the King that it was a perfect target for what they were attempting to achieve. The army would get into a small fight, which would at least be some form of experience and test for them. The resources of the Island, mainly sugar and tabacco were mildly priced and would bring in some profit, and it would be their first step towards a more imperialistic way of thinking and bring them closer, though hardly warm, to the might of the Colonial Giants, Britain and France.

The advisors also believed that few would turn an eyelid to see what was happening in Hati. Austria, Russia, France and Britain were far to embroiled in the Carlists War, they said, to worry about the fall of a small island nation with few contacts. The United States of America was, apparently, already to heated in debate with the British over the borders of Maine and Oregon to worry about Hispaniola to care. King Wilhelm was more sceptical, with Prussian troops needed more urgently in Poland, and the possibility of war with Austria looming, he doubted if he could acctually allow any troops to leave Prussian soil. The army, however, insisted that they needed only a single Corps to do their business and that corps would return within a close few months, and this would create no problems for potential war in Europe.

The King was convinced by the scheme and the planners got planning. II. Corps under Mj. General Gnisen, consisting of two divisions of Brandenburgian Regulars and a brigade of Royal Engineers. While artillery would have be more useful, the bad roads of Hispaniola would have prohibitted their movement, and would have required a detachment of Engineers to asist them anyway. The plans were finished and the corps was dispatched aboard transports for the Caribbean Sea.

The plan was simple enough: The divisions would arrive off the northern coast of Hispaniola, the Dominican side, in mid-April and would land in two groups, one division strong each, either side of Samaná Bay at Samaná on the northern side and Sabana de la Mar on the southern side. The two divisions would then march into the centre of the Dominican province and rendezvous at a town called Monte Plata. They would then march down the mountain road and descend upon Santo Domingo by land, hoping to catch the Hatian troops off guard. A simple landing nearer to Santo Domingo at Andrés Bay would have been easier, but planners feared Hatian batteries nearer to the city. After this, the troops would march overland to secure Port-au-Prince and force Monsieur le President Boyer to accept the Prussian offer of Annextion.

landing.jpg

The Eastern side of the Plan: The securing of Santo Domingo

The troops landed without delay on April 17th, and by May 1st, they had secured Monte Plata. No resistence, apart from the 100 man Militia of Monte Plata had given any resistence, and that was only breif before they surrendered. The plan had gone completely to order until that point. General Gnisen then ordered the advance on Santo Domingo. This also went without flaw, until they reached Santo Domingo that is. The Santo Domingo Militia, although not federal troops, put up a good fight, although eventually were overcome and the city put under Prussian control. When a search party was order to inspect the defences of Andrés Bay, it was found that there were no Federal Gun emplacements there and that the landing would have been unapposed. Even though he had secured Santo Domingo, the one-thousand casualties, that total including all troops who scumbugged to tropical disease, was un-acceptable and General Gnisen was replaced by the more senior Lt. General Graf Von Wrangel, an old man by any standards for the army, but still competent enough to reduce those casualties.

santodomingo.jpg

With Santo Domingo secure, General Wragnel began his march westwards

The advance on Port-au-Prince went without flaw, and Prussian troops were within telescopic range of the Capital before they met Federal Troops, abliet badly organised, trained and equiped ones*. The commander, not known to any Prussian, had chosen good ground to defend on, though. He halted the Prussian advance about five miles outside the city, holding his 6,000 infantry on the heights of Pétionville, due south-east of the city. The slopes on the Prussian side of the attack were formidable, and Wrangel saw he would lose many a good man if he tried to assault it. He sent his engineers, now proving their worth, round to the side of the heights, to scout the postitions there. The engineers reported that the slopes were much lower and completely unguarded there, and would be much more feasable for attack.

Wrangel decided on his battle plan. While the main force, 4 out of his 6 Brigades would continue to show themselves on the ground below the Hatian position, two brigades, under General Gnisen, would advance behind the cover of the town of Pétionville, under the guidence of the engineers, and attack the Hatian troops from the rear. The plan was put into place, and within a few hours, the Hatians had been completely out witted and were surrounded on two sides. Some escaped, around 1,000, but the majority were captured with hardly a Prussian casualty to boot. The seige of Port-au-Prince was short; Gnisen's Brigades forcing their way into the city while the remaining Hatians fought a desperate rear-guard action to allow their comrades to retreat to the Islet de la Gonave, which sat in the middle of Tortuga Bay.

The Hatian forces held there for only a matter of days. As soon as the city of Port-au-Prince was occupied, Wrangel saw fit to bring up what artillery he had and bombard the island. When Prussian transports entered the bay and began transporting troops over from the mainland, the remaining Hatians surrendered. Some nobles fled to Santo Domingo, now hardly occupied, and stirred up a small revolt, but by the time they had got anywhere, President Boyer had fled and the Island was officially a Prussian protectorate. The nobles surrendered, and the Prussian troops left back to Germany, leaving the Island in the hands of 10,000 islanders under German leadership.

annex.jpg

Hati finally falls under Prussian domination

The reaction from the world was, however, not as simple as the Prussians had hoped for. The French went mad, demanding that as Hati was a former colony of France, she should be the only one allowed to intervene in the area. The Americans protested, but most southerners could not admit that they had wished to see the island invaded, so stayed silent to avoid hipocracy. The British were unmoved by the incident itself, but protested because they did not feel that Prussia was a colonial power enough that she could simply go taking over countries as imperialistically as she had done. France was cooled when the Reichstag paid all the debts Hati owed to the French government and people in return for the French to back down. The British continue to protest, but only on the grounds that it did not want to have another nation competeing with it colonially, but could offer no real argument.

Prussia had got away with taking Hati, but her reputation and prestige took a hit, exactly the opposite of what the King had requested, but she had gained a colony. However, it seemed that for those powers not yet accsstomed to the colonial market, the British would make it as hard as possible for them to become so. It had showed what a tough world awaited Prussian dreams...

------------​

Notes:
*They were Irregulars

Force Change: Russia or Sweden, but both unlikely as i distrust Russia and don't feel Sweden to be of much use ;)

Likk9922: yes it is, though i won't take advantage of it...

Last edited:
hmm...I am not sure if hati can pay off the cost to invade it and the cost to france. While I think that was a good move on top, in the long run it could become a pain in the side.

So, a most definitely mixed victory.

Prussian territory in the Caribbean, excellent! :D Although the international reaction wasn't the expected one.

Haiti is one of my favorite early gambits in this game; it's the first pope adventure in my pope AAR, and I can almost never resist taking it over with other countries. It's a ton of population, a lot of resources, a good colonial base, and sometimes your pops even emigrate to it. I loves me some Haiti.

In all my years I don't think I've ever invaded Haiti :D

I'm guess I'm behind on player tactics :D

Although I expected that kind of reaction from the French and British..

English Patriot said:
In all my years I don't think I've ever invaded Haiti :D

I'm guess I'm behind on player tactics :D

Although I expected that kind of reaction from the French and British..

Really?

In most games where its possible, (especially with European minors), I go for Haiti first. Its so easy to annex and its a nice first colony. :p

:) asd

Thats just too funny. The reactions of the GPs was so typical. :rolleyes:

France: But thats the place I used to exploit! :mad:

UK: We cant have everyone and his grandmother exploiting others. Then who would we exploit? :confused:

I guess it makes sense in crazy Victorian times where eight nations ruled the entire world.

I liked the use of the Google Earth Image. I hope you utilize that more later on in the AAr. :)