• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
comagoosie said:
Congratulations!

This AAR is exploding! Victoria can't handle it!

EDIT: I now have the same amount of posts as the author. I am ashamed :eek:o :D

Stop spamming :p :D

Just fell on this thread thanks to the AAR Showcase. And I feel the need to express my approval for it ;) - I like what you're doing.
Perhaps thanks to this AAR I might finally get to know about Victoria as well? :D

Just one minor thing, about your introduction - Prussia has nothing in common with the Baltic tribe but for its name - the old Prussian language died out in the 16th-17th century, and most of them were either assimilated with the Poles, Lithuanians and Germans, or simply died out. Just in case you didn't know ;).

Congratulations, Robou!

I'd taken a look at this the other day, when you'd just posted the history of the Prussian people, etc.

I'll look forward to seeing how this goes!

Rensslaer

Congratulations on the showcase!

ComradeOm: Don't want to be killed within five by the French now do we :) After all we are 'careful'

English Patriot: Unfortunately it is out of my hands...

Comagoosie: A big army is the way to do that :) And i don't care about your number of posts personally, as it is i not having posted enough rather than you posting too much :D

stnylan: Thanks

Ahura Mazda: precisely!

asd21593: Never too late old friend

Mishgan: You learn something new everyday :) I will change when i have the time

RGB: Not only that, a Prussofied and not Francofied one

Sematary: They are not already?

Auray: According to Mishgan and Emperor_krk not enough :p

Edzako: Welcome aboard

Capibara: Ah-ha the way i do so may catch some of you out though ;)

Bad Santa: Invade them? Why would i ever do that? :p

The Wookie: Thanks a billion, though it probably should have gone to someone more worthy!

Everyone who congratulated me: THANKS!

Force Change: haha tell me about it!

Emperor_krk: thanks for the info, though they way i wrote it might make it a little haphazard to change :(

Rensslaer: *shudder* i really scares me to have the man who wrote the best Prussian AAR ever reading mine... *cower*

update (long overdue) is coming tonight!

Hehe. Well, once you beat France and unify Germany, your König von Preußen will get a new spiffy title! He'll become Deutscher Kaiser und König von Preußen, German Emperor and King of Prussia. :)

Although somethings tells me, and remembering your Italian AAR, he's also going to become König von Polen, König der Niederlande, Großherzog von Luxemburg, Erster Landammann der Schweiz, Kaiser des Russischen Reiches, etc, etc >.>

1836: Domestic Situation

Domestic Situation​

Techs:

The first situation for the Prussian government to decide on was the advancements it wished to fund for the next year, until the project finished completion. It was a hard run down between projects favouring research into Market structure, which claimed that by researching and learning from experience of previous economies and economical situations that Prussia could profit by it. The other possibility was to fund the military and their project of further military planning, which could advance the Prussian field forces decidedly and help to improve coordination and cohesion in the armies. The latter, the army being of major importance to the country*, Military Planning was accepted for government funding. It was set to be finished anywhere between late november and early February.

tech.jpg

Military Planning recieves Prussian Funding

Economy:

The next, and most pressing issue at the time, was the Prussian budget. There was no doubt that the economy was strong, containing good industry, good raw material production and plenty of reserve funds. However, it would soon become clear that this would not be enough. The main culprit was, as would have been expected, Imports.

At the time, Prussia could produce most of her needs. However, the huge fabric works of Schilisien demanded imports of Cotton, mainly from the southern states of the United States of America, Red and Yellow Dye, from British India and Chemicals from France, a bad trading partner for Germans at best. Chemical industry was being sorted out at that time, and a partially government funded Chemical factory in Magdeburg was soon to be put forward into it's last stages of construction (hopefully open for the year following). Dye and Cotton, however, were not available to the Germans at that point, apart from through a conquest of sorts. That would be important later, though.

Apart from that, Iron was still needed in small ammounts from Sweden, as Prussia could not supply enough herself, though could make up most of the production. This would improve as technology into mining did so as well. However, all in all, the Prussian economy could not support such imports, and would eventually have to find a better source.

importgoods.jpg

Prussian Imports, 1836

This had a huge effect on the actual economy as a whole, which struggled to support such huge ammounts of import. The results did not favour the Kingdom. Taxes for all sections of society would be set at a high 50% until the situation on the imports died down. This would have a profound effect on the happiness of the people (especially the Poles who were struggling already), and would have to be amended as soon as possible.

Other parts of the budget also need mentioning. The Prussian Education Project, which worked hand-in-hand Child Free Labour Movement, was seeking government funding to increase it's capacity to educate the people of Germany. This was happily accepted by the Reichstag, as they felt an increase in literacy rates could seriously assist the Kingdom on its way to glory. However, to fund this, it would be the army that would suffer. Army expenditure was cut to a minimal 80% percent, which was little problem for the army, as it had enough men to do its job, but was a little upset to not have the golden point in the governments eye at all times.

budget.jpg

The Budget still fluctuated, but hardly could ever claim to make much profit

Politics:

Then there was the political status of the Kingdom. It was complicated to say the least, but it is best not to get into the overly complicated system the Prussian's called their Kingdom. The King, Wilhelm IV, was monarch and no one could, or would for that matter, argue with his ultimate decision. However, the King was wise enough to allow some form of one-sided parliment, the Reichstag, which was ruled by high-ranking conservative monarchists, who would run the daily process of the Kingdom, which the King could not be bothered to deal with every hour. He was comptent, enough at least, to see that he could not run a modern country all by himself.

As for a voting system, none existed. The members of the loose Konserative Partei were all hand-picked by the King from the élite of Prussian society. The modernising situation in Prussia, however, would slowly see things change. On the newly emerging Liberal Wings of the Reichstag, some called for more democratic system, with the people voting for members of the government, rather than the King having the last say, as this would better represent the people. Wilhelm, though, decided he was not willing to give up any power as yet, but if the situation ever dictated so, he would allow it. No situation, as yet, had arisen.

politicalinfo.jpg

Political Information on Prussia, 1836

The Liberal's had hoped that if war sparked off in the Low countries, that this situation would come about. Fortunately for King Fredrick-Wilhelm, this war did not ever spark off. It did not, exactly, go the way he wanted either, but democracy had been held off for a while longer. The comprimise was met when the Belgians took the city of Leige by storm, and the British quickly brought talks between the powers to a head.

The London Treaty, signed on the 24th January, would effectively end the war between the two nations, Belgium and Holland. Anyone who signed would recognize Belgium as a legitimate state, and would guarentee it's independance for the next two hundred years. The Dutch would also be forced to give up Leige and Arlon to the Belgians, though would keep Luxembourg in their Kingdom. It seemed like a good comprimise. The British and the French signed it, the French knowing that taking on Britain over Belgium would be folley. The Dutch, basiclly under pain of death with a gun pointed at their head, signed over the land to Belgium.

belgium2.jpg

The Dutch conceed under Franco-British Pressure

Prussia and Austria were furious that Britain would simply weigh down on the Dutch to accept and refused outright to sign the treaty. Some in the Reichstag even suggested forming some kind of Anti-London-Treaty, though this was seen as over the top and radical for the situation that demanded it. The Dutch, privately, thanked Austria and Prussia for it's support. With Prusso-Dutch relations revitalised after years of distrust, negotiations between Rhinelanders and the Dutch authorities to hand over Luxembourg, now cut off from Amsterdam by Belgium, to Prussia. However, when Berlin heard of this, they immediately closed negotiations down for fear of provoking a vicious French assault due to the purchase. The King had avoided yet another war.

Poland:

With the Poles suffering under the weight of the new taxation, some began to become restless for action against not only the taxes but also aginst the rule of the Prussian state. While at the time these events were still small in number and national effect, it spooked the King enough to send the army in. And this wasn't just small portions of the army. With no conflict threatening in the West now that the situation in the Low Countries was sorted out, Fredrick-Wilhelm dispatched every division available, minus the reserves, to the Polish lands to attempt the pacify these nationalistic feelings. All eleven Corps of the Prussian army garrisoned the Polish areas, forcing the locals to accept Prussian rule or suffer.

poland-1.jpg

Prussian forces Redploy to Poland in the 'Polish Pacification War'. Surrounded in Black are areas of high Polish ethnicity

France and Britian protested slightly at the move, seeing it as a strongly militaristic move, but Austria and Russia appauled it, and began to take similar mesures themselves. It was hoped that by the time periods of restlessness came to Germany as a whole, as they were already spreading from France, the Ottoman Empire and Greece, the Polish people would be scared enough not to assist their German 'Bretheren' in a fight for freedom. Wether the plan would work, and if moving all troops from the west was a dangerous move or not, was still to be seen. They would certainly need moving again somewhere in the near future, the question presented was: where?

--------------​

Mishgan: haha you know me too well! But remember we are being 'careful' this time... arn't we? :D

Where?

Denmark, of course. Why not?

Nice update, let's hope those poles don't cause to much trouble

Poor Poland. :(

Very informative update. :)

You're setting yourself up for a good game. :)

robou said:
Mishgan: haha you know me too well! But remember we are being 'careful' this time... arn't we? :D

Oh! Yes! Sorry. Strike the Großherzog von Luxemburg from the list *nodnod*

Nice. But what happened to the Dutch-Belgian border? It seems like some provinces avarded the the Belgians (Gelrem, o whatever) are under dutch controll.

RossN: Your signature spills.

Poor Poles indeed :(. I wonder, has anyone ever tried giving them some sort of autonomy as Prussia or Russia? ;) (Asking this as someone completely lay in terms of how Vicky works...)

Good update!