• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
RGB said:
Everything going rather historically I see.

Prussian dominance seems very likely...

I think that this is historical... he's just describing the world as it was in 1836.

And doing an excellent job of it, if I may say so myself. ;)

comagoosie: i intend to see that it is so

English Patriot: thank you, sir! Caution is a virtue in this game :)

RGB: Lets hope so :D

RossN: Thanks :) Thos do not consitute all my enemies and rivials, by any means. I put those two together first as they are Allies, though i need to be highly cautious of them.

likk9922: Thanks, and yes that is the idea ;)

Ahura Mazda: Don't get too exited there :p

next update within the hour

1836: Areas of Intrest

Areas of Intrest​

Italy

Italy was an difficult location for Prussia to delve into. No land connect and a weak navy meant that Prussia could not use troops to improve her position in Italy, and her alliance with Austria prohibitted actions that Vienna would deem as unlawful to the German Confederation. If that happened, Prussia could find itself at war with the whole of Germany, a situation that Fredrick Wilhelm IV was eager to avoid. Prussia had to tread carefully to avoid her goals in Italy, which were secondary to most others, leading to open war with Austria or France.

SPmap.jpg

The 'Italy Plan', Prussia's policy in Italy

The preposal of a plan for Prussian plans being implimented in Italy was forwarded to the Kaiser by an unlikely candidate, Captain Albrecht Graf Von Roon. It was, surprisingly, a very competent plan that he put forward, and was accepted after it had been read by the Kaiser himself.

Graf_Roon_.jpg

General Albrecht Graf Von Roon, after being promoted later in life

The general idea of the 'Italy Plan' was this. Prussia would support most of Austria's plans in Italy, by supporting the Papal States, of which Austria was freindly (and also in the hope it would appease some German Catholics), and the Duchy of Tuscany, which was ruled by the Leopold II, cousin of Austrian Emperor Ferdinand I. Prussia would also support Austria's campaign against the Bourbon King of the Two Sicilies Ferdinand II. This way Austria would continue to believe that Prussia was in support of her control over the Italian peninsular. However, in the background, Prussia would send diplomatic and monetary support to the Kingdom of Sardinia-Piemonte, which was classed as the best candidate for leading the Italian unification.

SP.jpg

Sardinia-Piemonte was not as strong as the Two Sicilies, but was a better candidate as supporting a Borbon King would be political suicide for Prussia

The idea of Italian unification had been around for a long time, though it became a reality after Napoleon's invasion of Italy. Austria was firmly against it, happy to keep the Hapsburg dukes in control of the peninsular as small states, which the larger Empire could pick on if they fell out of line. Prussia had not yet voiced any ideas over Italy in public, but secretly supported Italian unification, as a friendly Italy could be a useful ally against Austria, when a war did eventually come. This policy would be followed through as discreetly as possible, though the smuggling of arms and equipment through Switzerland made it significantly easier.

France

France had, for a long time now, been the enemy of Prussia and the rest of the German states. If ever there was a situation that France could not sustain, it was almost certain that France would find a way of blaming some German and rattling their sabre against the Rhine. Therefore, Prussia approached France carefully, but agressively, not willing to go to war with the nation, but neither wanting to let the French win a political victory over them. It was, as most situations, a tight rope for Prussia to walk across.

france.jpg

France was the second most powerful nation on earth

France's performance in the Napoleonic Wars, although a defeat, had given the French a certain fighting prowess that few could forget. They had taken on most of the world and, for the most part, had won. Also, the way France had rebuilt after her defeat had given her a decidedly large ammount of prestige that few could ignore.
If they did, they would have to face the French military. Though not the biggest force in the world, France's army was highly professional, and big enough to pack a punch. However, fortunately for most of Europe, most of this army was tied up in North Africa, and this seemed unlikely to change for some time to come. The French also had a reasonable Fleet, though nothing compared to might of the Royal Navy. Prussia would have to catch up with this kind of strength to be classed higher than their age of enemies.

Theatres of War​

The Carlist Wars

The Carlist wars had errupted due to the death of King Ferdinand VII of Spain. The King's Daughter, Isabella, was crowed queen, but the Infante Carlos, Ferdinand's brother claimed that this was illegal, due to Salic Law. Both sides claimed the throne and war boke out between their supporters. Carlos fled to northern Spain, while Isabella stayed in Madrid. The war had been going on for three years when 1836 came around, but their was still no clear winner.

carlist.jpg

Situation of Carlist and Isabellino forces, 1836

While all the combatants were Bourbons, Austria was put in a bad position. Carlos claimed to be able to track some Hapsburg ancestory in his blood, and hence claimed support from the major monarchies of Europe, most of all Austria. If Carlos was defeated (which seemed ever more likely with every passing day), the Hapsburgs would be kicked out of Spain for good and would be be unlikely ever to return. This would be a stinging blow to Hapsburg pride.

Prussia decided that, even if it meant that the Hapsburgs would be annoyed with them, that they would remain neutral in the conflict, and perhaps even support Isabella, who appeared to be winning somewhat.

The Low Countries

After the Congress of Vienna, the Kingdom of the Netherlands was granted control over all parts of Low Countries, but had proved itself uncapable of governing such a large area. In 1836, Belgium declared independence and raised an army to fight for it. The Netherlands marched in with troops, but was unable to stop the revolution from spreading. The great powers immediately stepped in to ensure peace on their borders.

belgium.jpg

The Belgian Revolution

While the fighting continued around Ghent, Arlon and Leige, the powers met in London to seek peace. These were inconclusive for several months.

Prussia and Austria were firmly in support of a united Netherlands, as the Dutch were more ethnically German than the French-Speaking Walloons of Belgium. They also would not want to see a weaker NEtherland and Belgium being easy prey for French Plans, which would likely consist of the annextion of southern Belgium into France.

France wanted a free Belgium and an end to agression. As said before, however, its actual plans for Belgium were most probably more sinister than they seemed on the surface, though it was hard to tell if, with pressure mounting from London and Berlin, if France would go through with anything major.

London, on the other hand, wanted a free Belgium, with their liberal ideas of self-determination, and were happy to guarentee Belgium its independence after it had been gained, to stop the French or German from invading, something that would likely have reprocussions later on. Debates in London, however, would go on a little longer before a final judgement from the powers was released.

Texas

Texas had been fighting since 1835 for its independence from Mexico. The influx of American settlers into the territory had lead to the Mexican government putting harsh laws onto the settlers, which in the end provoked the rebellion. With some support from the American government, the rebbelion had gone well, though eventually the Mexicans would bring their highly professional army to bear on the outnumbered Americans. A miracale would be needed to let the little self-declared republic survive its first few months. The situation, however, was of little concern to the Prussians, and was only for news in the newspapers.

tejas.jpg

The self-declared Republic of Texas in red

Piratini Republic

The War of the Farrapos had started due to the Liberal movement in Brazil radicalising and declaring war of Emperor Pedro. It was still in its early stages, with the rebels in full control of the Rio Grande do Sul and were in the process of gianing control of Amapá in the north. The War was unclear, the Brazilian government keeping information about it censorded, but the Piratini troops were, apparently, much more professional and had scored some vicotries, advancing into the Paraná area. As more information became clear, it would become a more important affair, but the lack of it made it impossible to report on.

pirintini.jpg

The Piratini Republic

Next: Domestic Policies

-----------------------------------​

Ahura Mazda: well its a possibility :)

Force Change: Well i don't have much possiblity to do anything, apart from a single war... :(

Last edited:
A good plan regarding Italy, and another excellent overview, any interesting plans for the Belgian Revolution?

Great stuff. Glad to see some statistics. If I had victoria I would be drooling over each country overview :D

It seems that wherever you want to attack there is some hitch, let's hope you will overcome that.

The introduction continues to be in-depth and interesting.

comagoosie said:
Great stuff. Glad to see some statistics. If I had victoria I would be drooling over each country overview :D

It seems that wherever you want to attack there is some hitch, let's hope you will overcome that.
There's almost always a hitch, you'll have to decide what's the most important to you

Nice introduction. However, Prussia has a König, not a Kaiser, at this point in time :p

At any rate, I'll follow this one. :)

Great overview.

With German support a historical Italy seems possible...

Excellent overview from the world in 1836. Good to know some backround from the histroy of Prussia. By the way, How much you studied history for this AAR?

Excellent updates again. The countries overview was great. Prussia should take advantage of the better position they have in Germany compared to Austria.