• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
great AAR - I hope it continues - I have a question about those fine divisional pictures you have - Where do you get those? I have looked at VIP but they dont seem to be from there....

Force Russia to accept Polish independence.

Well, as usual, the game files have taken a wander. To be honest they have given me more stress than they are worth.

So, I am going to continue this without a game in the background. Update ASAP.

I intend to keep updates short and to the point. I think, on re-reading, I sometimes ran away with myself on the longer updates, almost trying to find things to say rather than having things to say. So I will make sure that from that everything you read is to the point and interesting. Enjoy.

49. Pax Europa

Seemingly, Germany had now finally completed its goal of gaining complete hegemony in central Europe. In a matter of fourteen years, Prussia had gone from strength to strength. It had laid the foundations of a Caribbean Empire with the acquisition of Haiti, Puerto Rico, the subjugation of Mexico and the purchase of California. In Europe an aggressive foreign policy, coupled with the practical concerns of the Prussians and poor judgement on the part of its enemies, had led to a speedy unification process which created the Second Reich, the ‘Four Kingdoms in One’, the destruction of the Hapsburg Empire, the effective German domination of Hungary, the occupation of Austria and the humiliation of the Russian armed forces on more than one occasion. There was nothing, apparently, that could stop the Prussian steam-roller.

But the period had not been without its own failings. Military triumph had never been assured. Indeed, the French had, despite initial German successes, fought the Germans to a standstill on the battlefields of Verdun and forced an inconclusive end to the Holstein War. The acquirement of the colonies in the Caribbean had been a boost for Prussian prestige, but they had failed to make a profit or attract colonists from Germany. They had become a burden on the economy and the military and Bismarck, in particular, was in favour of ridding Germany of this load. Indeed, the situation in Mexico was the most alarming where Republicans and nationalists were increasing their efforts to overthrow Emperor Gustav and oust the Germans from their coastal outposts in the country. No doubt, eventually, military aid would have to be sent to assist the ailing Gustav. Only California seem to hold any promise, but as of yet the colony had given very little back to Berlin.

This of course, does not take into account the human and material cost of the all the wars since 1836. There had been the Kraków War (1838-’39), the Colonial Wars (1837-’41), the Weber Uprising/Russo-Prussian War (1844-’45), the Holstein War (1844-’45) and the intervention in the Hungarian Revolution (1848-’50). In particular, the last two had been bloody affairs where mass mobilisation and modern weaponry met outdated tactics. The total loss of life may have been as high as 1.5 million men on all sides, at least a third of which would have been German. Such a loss of life had taken and continued to take its effect on Germany as we shall see later. Military industry may have flourished during these wars but consumer goods had not, and Germany’s economy was seriously under-developed for a country of its size and resources. Constant fighting had given little time to organise labour efficiently as the constant calls volunteers and mobilisation orders took men in and out of the labour market. The German people revelled in the glory their country had secured, but the fighting was over now, their enemies vanquished. They had sacrificed much to gain it. But surely the time for peace and prosperity, a Pax Germanica, was what the people now needed.

Much of Europe also felt the same. The once great Austrian Empire now languished under German occupation. Russia was now headed by a young, progressive Tsar, Alexander II, who wished to bring peace, stability and success to the Russian people. France and Britain had now finally declared an armistice after fighting a dreadful war after French intervention in the Swiss Sonderbund Rebellion. Change was now afoot in the air. The old world had beaten itself to a pulp and now it needed time to recover from its shock. It was not a purely German feeling of ‘enough is enough’. Now was the time for Pax Europa.

Nah, just the old repliers. This was one of the first AARs I read in the Vicky forum. Still - a general European peace, without confrontation over the Rhine? I'd have to go back and do a complete re-read to recall the effects of 1848 on Paris, but I suspect that Louis Napoleon might undo it all anyway in any timeline.

Good to see that this has returned.

robou: ...There was nothing, apparently, that could stop the Prussian steam-roller.

except, of course, "we have found the enemy, and they are us." ;)

robou: ...But surely the time for peace and prosperity, a Pax Germanica, was what the people now needed.

aye, that would be nice ! ! :)

robou: ...Now was the time for Pax Europa.

got my vote ! ! "give peace a chance," should be beneficial to all ! ! :D

excellent update ! ! :cool:

I was under impression that this AAR has ended and thought that sudden reappearance in subscribed test list was thready necromancy by new readers. I had no idea that there were new update. Emphasized headline, a map or at least flag would also help to catch average readers attention as it's not uncommon to have replies to writers comments that long. Other that that I really like this format.