CAREER MODE: Final Score, Travel Route and thoughts

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ninte000

Corporal
Jan 5, 2019
First of all Difficult settings
20133444mqlt166249l2ul.png

Did not go for max Salvage/Payment (probably should have)
Went for Hard Enemy strength, I think this is quite important for achieving a high score, it allows us to find heavier mechs quicker, hence start doing high star contracts earlier. Also it improves salvage values, therefore increasing C-bill score.
Unequipped mech was turned off, all the mech parts we gain will eventually add up.

Travel route and score at 900 days (star system completion)
04200866456c465506xoxa.png

042148f0sl2slp0lsdimkk.png

Numbers meaning stops, a couple of days were wasted due to me not clicking pause fast enough while changing route on jumpship.

Planning was not prefect,
systems 1,2,17,18,30,34,42 were visited twice, but could be avoidable (other multiple visits are not avoidable, will explain later)
at systems 27, 28, 30, 31, 43, I was unnecessarily forced to stay, with better planning, I could have had the chance to check contracts while on jumpship, before entering.

Final score
2057140s82irxo0n3t38hs.png

205716rwchrdl18t9rwx45.png

205610cewjzxm5gy0v5cge.png

My original plan for the last 300 days was to farm contracts at 33/34/35, but unfortunately it didn't work out.

1. contracts don't refresh fast enough.
2. both 34, 35 should spawn urbanmech parts, which is the only mech I missed (except star league ones). But nothing showed up.
3. I needed to farm some contract against Dracanis Combine, but I am not sure if they actually spawn. These contracts are either super rare, or I was super unlucky.
I have a feeling that the same might hold true for Lyran Commonweath.

Other Thoughts

1. If I was right about the contracts against Kurita/Steiner, then we have to be-friend both of them at the same time, which means no allies can be made.

2. Selling counts towards c-bill, so all unused c-bill should be "recycled" through shop.
But even in allied space, you will lose about 90% of the value if you make purchase and then re-sell
Except mech-parts
The selling price of a full mech is roughly equal to the purchase price of 1 corresponding mech part. Hence you only lose 66% of value when you re-sell mechs.
To max out c-bill, you should buy every mech-part you see (if you can afford it), even in hostile space.

3. We should try to pass without stopping at as many systems as possible.
Even if you plan to enter the system, it is usually better to check the store and contract first, while you are still on the jumpship.

4. Since it takes a long time for contracts to refresh, it would be hard to find a loop to farm contract at the end game. Hence the best way to achieve a high score, might be to finish visiting all systems at exactly 1200 days.

To help with route planning, I would like to share 3 maps
First is an empty map, for keeping track of where you have visited.
0244164a724a4lfzztazk2.png

Second map,
red number is the time to enter or leave the system, when argo is fully upgraded (this might not be 100% accurate, as I have done this by hand)
yellow number is the difficulty rating
lines are for good shops
Red for Former SLDF
Blue for Research
Yellow for Rich
Brown for Manufacturing

Edit:
Please ignore the shop tags, they are outdated. For a up-to-date shop guide, visit
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...re-store-tags-and-a-map-you-can-edit.1143506/
Also, the red numbers are not Jump Distance, argo speed modifier (at full upgrade) has been applied, and they have been rounded up.
For raw data on Jump Distance, extracted from json files, see attachment.

040405zwrgjg5cgrj9kaco.png

Third map is what I call the passage map.
The red number indicates: how many nearby system I can start my travel, so that I can pass the current system without stopping.
Note that you have to stop at a few systems, they are denoted with purple circle.
Yellow circle are where all the "neutral" flashpoints are, I assume you would want to stop at these systems no matter what.

For star systems with a score of 3 or less at the bottom half of the map, I have draw blue lines to show how you can visit them without stopping.
I have not done so for the top half of the map, because this is where most flashpoints are, you are likely to be going back and forth depending how flashpoints spawn.
03584760l9ggq0oljgzbg9.png

Edit (28/02/2019):
Uploaded 2 spreadsheets

"Jump Distance, Planet Skull, Employers.xlsx" is a summary of such information of all 170 systems

"travel planning" is the summary of the followings:
You can start in the current system and pass through any systems in column G-Q without stopping.
Column F is the total number of systems than can pass through the current system without stopping.

It is suggested to plan at most 10-20 systems at a time,
by copying the rows for "systems in question" onto a separate spreadsheet, and adjust the formula in column F.

More thoughts
Further Observations

1. At the start of the career, there are only 3 slot for flashpoints at any given time, one slot is always be occupied by "Joint Venture".
Once "Joint Venture" is complete, the number of slots seem to increase to 5.
2. Flashpoint will re-spawn if expired, you don't need to rush to it.
3. On "Hard" enemy strength setting, a 2.5 skull system can generate missions upto 4 skulls. Which makes travelling to them a gamble without the necessary reputations.
4. Being friends with everyone except pirate is possible. Edmon is on course of achieving this in his furypoint career.
5. If you travel directly to a system, it takes "jump distance*argo speed modifer" days to enter the system. However, by clicking "travel to system" on Jumpship, it usually only takes 3 days.
Hence, we should have as little planned stops as possible.
And "Total contract skulls/(jump distance+3)" is the efficiency for entering any particular non-end system.
6. Always read contract description while on the jumpship, it tells you who are the opfor, you can work out whether the system is good for reputation

A example of initial planning for ARN start with reputation and flashpoints in consideration
In Threadmark 4: "refined route V1", 173 Jumps and 7 stops (i.e. only at end planets) have been achieved, but there are 2 major flaws.

1. Reputation has not been taken into account.
Ideally, you want to travel to systems with 2 skull or less for each faction first, before going to other systems for that particular faction

2. Flashpoints might not spawn when you are at the given system.
Ideally, you want to have some flexibility in the route, so you can adjust the route according to the order of which the flashpoints spawn.
Note that not all flashpoints are worthwhile, "White Lies" for example, is a 3 skull short (2 missions) flashpoint, which is in a 1.5 skull system. The flashpoint effectively boosts the system skull to 2.7, which is still not particularly high. Also Bellerophon has 4 employers including locals and pirates, which are likely to offer contracts that damages your other reputations.
Futhermore, reputation for Free World League is usually not hard to gather, there is no reason to force yourself to do this for reputation reasons.
For such flashpoints, if they happen to spawn while you are near the system, fine, if not, there is no real advantage to travel all the way to them, they just makes route planning a lot more complicated.
I have decided to "abandon" 4 flashpoints
"White Lies" in Bellerophon
"The Steel Beast" in Herotitus
"The Braying of Hounds" in Viribium
"Unwelcoming Guests" in Pilpala
The other 8 neutral flashpoints are more concentrated on the top right to top middle of the map.

stage 2 planning.png
Red circles are planned stops.
Blue circles are the flashpoints.

Early on in neutral spece, reputation is more important than "Total contract skulls/(jump distance+3)" ratio.
Building up rep allows you to gain better ratios in future systems, it pays off.

I have left top right open, the "optimal route" will vary depending on which flashpoints are available at the time.

If a flashpoint in top-right is expiring while you travel, don't worry, they will re-spawn.
There are 5 flashpoint slots available, and I have planned to enter the top right area 3 times.
There is no need to rush to them, take time in systems with good ratios.

You might want to leave at the end of yellow line, if "Defector" or "Flatten Earth" spawned. However, it is suggested to come back to green line afterwards.
Because you are unlikely to have enough rep for Davion and Taurian at this point to travel through Liao space.

Test Run for the first 300 days
Difficulty setting is hard on enemy strength, and easiest on everything else.
I have done a mass sell off.
The planned route has been adjusted, as I have managed to pick up "Flatten Earth". In fact the map above is further improved upon the actual route I used here.
"White Lies" and "The Steel Beast" did not spawn when I was there.
21 systems have been visited, we are sitting in Qalzi, with contracts cleared.
300 days.png 300 days (2).png 300 days (3).png

Actual route
The planned contract efficiency rating was set to be 1.5 skull per day (excluding jumps).
ninte001 adjusted.png
Stops 2, 3 have a efficiency rating about 1 skull per day. I have chosen them based on reputation.
In fact, stop 3 had 4 contracts from Liao, I think this was a crucial point in the playthrough, it allowed me to bank a lot of Liao reputation.
In the Example above, I have increased the number of low skull systems on the route in the area, so that you have better chance of picking up Liao contracts, and hence bank the reputation.

In the neutral space, a few systems with efficiency > 1.5 skull per day has been skipped, (the yellow circle for example).
We do not have the rep to lose at this stage of the game.
Also, if the reps are right, it is not hard to find systems with efficiency > 1.5. In fact, most system I entered, had efficiency around 1.7, some went as high as 3 (without flashpoint).

2 travel contracts has been picked up travelling to 12, 13 (orange numbers).
I only pick up travel contracts, if it is towards where I am going, and I have enough reputation with the potential employers.

"Opportunist" and "Criminal Minds" were left to expire. I should be fine, since I will be coming back to the area 2 more times.

Conclusion
It seems 1000 skulls + 600 million c-bills might be achievable while going for travel completion.
Setting exp score at 60000 (allowing for some random ac20 breaching headshot, and head melee)
Mechs Chassis at 76380 (55 base game + 4 flashpoint dlc + Griffin 4N guaranteed from "criminal minds")
Giving a total score of 821380
It seems, missing out on rep completion for 1-2 factions, might not affect to ability to achieve Kerensky.

Attachments

• jump distance, planet skull, employers.xlsx
    19,6 KB · Views: 95
  • travel planning.xlsx
    21,8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Shop for Urbanmech
Wow! Totally amazing work! That is totally amazing that you completed the star system travel and made pretty amazing progress in all of the other categories as well. You were so close to maxxing Marik and Magistracy reputation also. Truly amazing.

Went for Hard Enemy strength, I think this is quite important for achieving a high score, it allows us to find heavier mechs quicker, hence start doing high star contracts earlier

This is, I think, a super critical point that your score reflects.

One important thing about the Urbanmech though. With the change to shops in 1.3, you will only find it in Black Markets and in Capellan space.

Lyran Commonwealth contracts are very common in Marik space and slightly less so in Liao / Marik border worlds. It was pretty easy for me to find Steiner / Liao and Steiner / Pirate contracts in order to avoid hurting my Marik reputation while I was working on my Steiner rep. On the flip side, I couldn't find many Draconis Combine contracts in either direction in Davion, Taurian, or Liao space. It was just brutal.

SNIP..

1. If I was right about the contracts against Kurita/Steiner, then we have to be-friend both of them at the same time, which means no allies can be made.

..SNIP
I also suspected this, and if I read the data files right, there is no systems with ContractTargets Kurita or Steiner.

Reputation with Davion/Kurita
I also suspected this, and if I read the data files right, there is no systems with ContractTargets Kurita or Steiner.

Correct. There are 11 systems where you can accept contracts from Steiner and 9 systems where you can accept contracts from Kurita, but no systems where you can target them.

This seems like an oversight though as both Marik and Davion would likely have missions against Steiner and Kurita (respectively) within their own space for things like killing spies, capturing / destroying convert bases, and dealing with covert lances.

I was in a bit if a hurry yesterday when this thread popped up and I clicked helpful , but I wanted to come back and say;

That is one heck of a first post on the forum!

Welcome Mechwarrior @ninte000 !

It's inspired me to try and figure out if I can programmatically determine a 'best path' from an arbitrary starting point. :) And, since I suck at python and I'm a bit of a masochist, I'm writing it in python...

I saw an Urbanmech in the FP, Steel Beast II, as a base defender. No mods. The first time I've seen one as the OpFor.
This is the only time it might appear in Career or Campaign mode as an OPFOR according to my notes.

It's inspired me to try and figure out if I can programmatically determine a 'best path' from an arbitrary starting point. :) And, since I suck at python and I'm a bit of a masochist, I'm writing it in python...

You got to get one of those genetic algorithms to iterate on it a billion times to end up with the best path that gets everything in the shortest time, works it's way up the skull scale and raises rep in a profitable fashion.

It's been a few hours now, we should touch base with your progress. It sounds like you're a little out of your wheelhouse with this, but I'll keep you honest with whatever the longest pole in the tent is.

#thingsprojectmanagerssay

As previously mentioned in the thread, OP is using outdated info on how shops/systems work; the Rich tag doesn't do anything anymore.

Also, regarding contract grinding, it is possible to do good endgame loops to visit several high difficulty systems during each cycle, but they require to cover wider number than what you attempted with those 3 in Davion space - Liao and Taurian are good for it, for instance, though they also make going for the rep score require more finagling.

In any case, I believe the much better route for high score is actually to forego the exploration rating almost entirely, and focus on wealth generation through contracts. Keeping track of what you've previously visited, you can go for map completion towards the tail end of career for a final score push, but trying to map from the get go is only going to impair your early and mid-game.

but trying to map from the get go is only going to impair your early and mid-game.

First of all, with the correct settings, and if you are confident at jumping skulls early game, it does not take long for you to build a decent squad. In fact, in my play-through, I salvaged shadowhawk at 2, and orion at 3. I think even if I only salvaged a 65 toner at 3, it would still have allowed me to complete the first flashpoint at 4.

Secondly, I did not fully plan my route at the get go. I had some parts of the route planned ready, for example 3-8, and the red lines. And my overall route plan were adjusted depending on the spawn of flashpoints.
By stop 20, I have completed 11 out of the 13 neutral flashpoints. Then I let the last two, at 32 and 37 naturally expire, and in reality, these two re-spawned immediately, perhaps because they are the only two neutral flashpoints left.
Stop 41 was Davion's allied flashpoint, in case you are wondering.

Therefore, I do not buy into the qouted argument.

However, I do agree you will likely to have better contract efficiency late game, by foregoing the exploration rating.
Because, in my play-through for example, the red line covered a large potion of neutral space, with lower average skulls, by which point, I would much prefer higher skull missions. Whereas by foregoing star completion, you will almost certainly be travelling to higher difficulty systems at the same stage of the game.

Flashpoints don't matter if you're going for score, though.

First of all, a flashpoint is equivalent to 2-4 extra contracts in a given system, it boosts the "total available contract skulls/days from jumpship" ratio significantly. Which is, I believe, the most important ratio when farming contracts.

Secondly, flashpoint gives a lot of rare gears,
The free Griffin 4N or any other SLDF mechs you can assemble are all extra 1273 points each.
The double heat sinks which might be difficult to find elsewhere.
Even ordinary gears like cockpit mod++ are really helpful. It not only speed up your progression, it also frees up the slot for you to pick a mech part salvage, which can be sold for more c-bills.

Plus, the 1 million c-bills you get at the end of each flashpoint. Which is approximately half of a 5 skull mission payout?

I still believe it is beneficial to do as many flashpoints as possible.

Edit:
I guess you might be able to justify skipping a couple at low skull systems, if you are not aiming for star completion.
Also, I made the argument around flashpoints in my last post mainly to showcase the lance quality, so I can make a counter argument against "exploration completion impairing early/mid game".

Last edited:
First of all, a flashpoint is equivalent to 2-4 extra contracts in a given system, it boosts the "total available contract skulls/days from jumpship" ratio significantly. Which is, I believe, the most important ratio when farming contracts.

Secondly, flashpoint gives a lot of rare gears,
The free Griffin 4N or any other SLDF mechs you can assemble are all extra 1273 points each.
The double heat sinks which might be difficult to find elsewhere.
Even ordinary gears like cockpit mod++ are really helpful. It not only speed up your progression, it also frees up the slot for you to pick a mech part salvage, which can be sold for more c-bills.

Plus, the 1 million c-bills you get at the end of each flashpoint. Which is approximately half of a 5 skull mission payout?

I still believe it is beneficial to do as many flashpoints as possible.

Edit:
I guess you might be able to justify skipping a couple at low skull systems, if you are not aiming for star completion.
Also, I made the argument around flashpoints in my last post mainly to showcase the lance quality, so I can make a counter argument against "exploration completion impairing early/mid game".

Greed is absolutely great for the 4N, the others... not quite as much. My point is indeed that it's not worth going on a joyride across the map to do them, if you've got a good loop going, which should likewise fill you up with effective variant weapons and mods (ps, cockpit mods are extremely common in Research systems). On that subject, truth is, there are very few pieces of rare loot that will significantly increase your performance - once you've got two or three heavy mechs it becomes trivial to tackle 5 skull missions while sustaining none to negligible structure damage. It's fun to have toys, don't get me wrong, they just don't actually improve your success in the wider metagame.

Greed is absolutely great for the 4N, the others... not quite as much. My point is indeed that it's not worth going on a joyride across the map to do them, if you've got a good loop going, which should likewise fill you up with effective variant weapons and mods (ps, cockpit mods are extremely common in Research systems). On that subject, truth is, there are very few pieces of rare loot that will significantly increase your performance - once you've got two or three heavy mechs it becomes trivial to tackle 5 skull missions while sustaining none to negligible structure damage. It's fun to have toys, don't get me wrong, they just don't actually improve your success in the wider metagame.

You will need to find me a really good loop to convince me on that.

Say you are focus on looping, and I will assume you have travelled to half of all systems.
Therefore, you have given up 42500+25000=67500 points.

By farming contracts, you will only gain score on, c-bill, contracts, exp, and board rating.
I don't have the exact data, but
C-bills, assume you can get 3.5m per 5 skull contract, that is payout+salvage+recycling the c-bill, which is an average of 350/5=70 points per skull
contract is simple, it works out at 100 points per skull
exp, each skull is 2 difficulty, and you have 4 mechwarriors on a mission, so 400*2*4/50= 64 points per skull
board rating, I don't know how it works exactly, but I am pretty sure, the higher your rating, the slower you can gain it. comparing my 900 days and final score screenshots, I have done 606.25-518=88.5 skulls of missions and gained 993-953=40 board ratings. Each board rating is 45 points, so let's estimate each skull gives about 20 points of board rating.

Hence you will need to have done 67500/(70+100+64+45)=265.75 skulls more to justify going on the loop.
And don't forget, I would almost certainly be able to fit in average of 3 skull missions during my travel.
That estimates to about doing 133 contracts during a reasonable amount of time.