Career completion status - Day 1200

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

*star*rats*

Second Lieutenant
19 Badges
May 16, 2018
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
So I'm returning after I haven't played for a while, and this is my first career attempt with all 3 expansion packs - below is my difficulty settings.

20200626222519_1.jpg

I'm already regretting not enabling "Lethality" so I would get a nice difficulty multiplier of 1,0 - but well... In addition, I have a goal of playing through as many Flashpoints as possible during my career.

Career time is now 100 days, which translates into 47 hours of playtime. This is my scoreboard.

20200704111338_1.jpg

I'm actually quite satisfied I've reached 100K after 100 days, but I'm well aware that the curve is flattening from here. A little translation of the stats so far:
  • Flashpoints completed: 0
  • Star systems visited: 10
  • Contracts played (# of skulls): 125
  • C-Bills earned: 16,6 Million
  • Mechs (# in bay+storage): 31 (23 different)
My biggest challenge at this point is time, time, time - so I'm usually running half wrecked mechs until I can travel to a new destination while repairing underway. Also the "unequipped mechs" option leaves me to often choose between repairing or readying a bigger mech.

20200704111348_1.jpg

I'm 1 part away from getting the following: Thunderbolt TDR-5S, Griffin GRF-1S and Shadowhawk SHD-2D.

I already made one stupid mistake, where I forgot to start a new Argo upgrade while traveling, so I lost apx. 14 days of Argo upgrades. Just got 2nd mechbay, and now going for drive upgrade 3.

SO let's see where this goes from here... :cool:

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
116 days in - got my GRF-1S and SHD-2D, plus a Grasshopper. Still 1 part away from Thunderbolt TDR-5S as well as Orion ON1-K, and need 2 parts for Marauder MAD-3R. :cool:

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Day 200 status

After 70 hours of playtime I reached 200 days.

20200708012135_1.jpg

Detailed stats:
  • Flashpoints completed: 1
  • Star systems visited: 25
  • Contracts played (# of skulls): 228
  • C-Bills earned: 26,8 Million
  • Mechs (# in bay+storage): 70 (42 different)
I'm friendly with the pirates, so got Black Market access for free!

My mechbay is beginning to look decent now. 1 part away of getting an Archer, still 2 parts for Marauder (this will be my heavy lance, in addition to Orion and Grasshopper).

20200708012146_1.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions:
BTW, did we talk about how insane those new "Defend and Destroy" missions are??? :oops:

A lance of attackers, defenders that goes by the rule "an attack is the best form of defense" plus 3 waves of reinforcements. Man, it goes on forever, I think the last mission took me over 2 hours to complete in total. And you also run out of ammo at some point, so my missile boat ended up being a melee brawler. :D

The good thing is your loot screen is filled with mech parts (20+), so no matter how you negotiated your contract, you can't get everything you would like. o_O

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Those are fun :) I usually have a fast scout, two main-line mechs, and an LRM command mech. On the last attack and defend mission I did, I had to make sure that the enemy base was destroyed in time because I was almost out of ammo for the last scheduled wave.

It's fun yes, but also quite exhausting. I wouldn't mind if there was one less wave of reinforcements - fighting 18 fully armored mechs where at least half of them equals your own lance, and defending a base at the same time is quite a challenge! o_O

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nice! I keep seeing Marauders being used, but I've found that I can't get as much damage from them when compared to a heavier mech. I can mostly position a lance wide enough apart where I get to fire on enemy flanks, and the default percentage to hit from Precision Shot seems good enough in that case. I still might work one into my lance as a finisher, but we'll see. Still a great find!

I keep seeing Marauders being used, but I've found that I can't get as much damage from them when compared to a heavier mech.

Actually, it's not about dealing max alpha strike. I'm building a laser sniper with Rangefinder and as many Large lasers as possible. WIth the SLDF version it's possibly 6 L lasers, each with 12% hit chance for headshot. I think it's going to be called Darth Marauder... ;)

A Large Pulse Laser++ would work great, as that would be enough to destroy the head even if only one of them hits. My thought was that if I headshot all of my opponents, that makes for a quick combat, but leaves a bunch of salvage. If, however, I'm able to reduce each mech to a leg and a center torso, and then kill the pilot or destroy the head, then that removes a lot of heat sinks and jump jets and other components from the salvage pile at the end of the fight, so there's more chance of getting mech salvage for the random draws.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think the best Darth Marauder build I came up with was a MAD-2R, 4x L Pulse++ in the arms, Rangefinder+++, Heat Exchanger & Gyro in the CT, and then 6 Double Heat Sinks. That would let you fire all of your weapons each turn, and each shot would deal 65 damage. The downside is no jump jets, and you only have 8.5 tons of armor, for 680 points.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think you're right for career it might give more than average "trash" salvage, but where I'm at right now it makes sense to do headshots (plus at the same time it doubles as scout with the rangefinder). However, I think I'll also switch to another sniper 'Mech later. And after career it's mainly just for fun! :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Actually, it's not about dealing max alpha strike. I'm building a laser sniper with Rangefinder and as many Large lasers as possible. WIth the SLDF version it's possibly 6 L lasers, each with 12% hit chance for headshot. I think it's going to be called Darth Marauder... ;)
only 12% headshot? isn't it ~35% with a decent pilot?