• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Update:

- Added ai_will_do to minor titles
- Added ai_will_do to religious titles

What those do exactly do? I mean, are they evaluated on a possible candidate by possible candidate, so it ends up being a weight of who receives the title, or is it "global" for the title, meaning willingness of the granter to grant it at all?

What those do exactly do? I mean, are they evaluated on a possible candidate by possible candidate, so it ends up being a weight of who receives the title, or is it "global" for the title, meaning willingness of the granter to grant it at all?

I'm assuming the former?

Reactions:

On a character that is eligible by the hard-coded definition, the ai_will_do weight is calculated. 1 or above means he is eligible, 0 or below means he is not eligible. Any value in between is the chance of being eligible. But it's not a weight compared to other characters. So it basically works like other decisions.

Update:

- Possible to append or overwrite info in bookmarks from several files
- Now possible to mod the pick era interface

Changes to bookmarks:

Now have a token name (bm_charlemagne) and three additional properties, era, picture and custom_start.

era = yes means that it should be used in the era screen
picture = NAME is the picture that should be used in the era screen
custom_start = yes means that it is the bookmark that should be used if the player clicks directly on custom start in the era screen

The era screen use those bookmarks flagged with era = yes (but no more than 5 - and it picks them chronological). If no one is found it will just use the first bookmark. For the title it will look for a localization key based on name (BM_CHARLEMAGNE) plus _ERA. Tor the text it looks for (BM_CHARLEMAGNE) plus _ERA_INFO.

Example:

Code:
bm_charlemagne = {
   name = "BM_CHARLEMAGNE"
   desc = "BM_BM_CHARLEMAGNE_DESC"
   date = 769.1.1

era = yes
   picture = GFX_pick_era_image_1

selectable_character = {
     id = 6392 # Charlemagne
     age = 26
     name = ERA_CHAR_NAME_6392
     title = k_france
     title_name = WEST_FRANCIA

character = {
       dna = bcedirmbfcy
       properties = aj00bc00000
       religion="catholic"
       culture="old_frankish"
       government = feudal_government
       dynasty=25061
     }
   }
}

Bookmarks can now be appended/partly overwritten by including parts of the same bookmark in another file.

Example:

Code:
bm_charlemagne = {
   name = "BM_GARS"
   desc = "BM_GARS_DESC"
   date = 769.4.30

era = no
   picture = GFX_some_other_picture
}

All properties above can be changed this way. (Selected character can however only be appended and not removed/overwritten - in that case you must overwrite the original file instead as before).

Reactions:
On a character that is eligible by the hard-coded definition, the ai_will_do weight is calculated. 1 or above means he is eligible, 0 or below means he is not eligible. Any value in between is the chance of being eligible. But it's not a weight compared to other characters. So it basically works like other decisions.

Wait, wait, wait! Are you imlying that ai_will_do in decision is not a weight against the total of decisions aviable? Well, I've been misunderstanding ai_will_do altogether, then! Thanks so much for clarifying!

But if you don't mind asking, given that there is, as far as I know, no documentation or common knowledge about this in the community, if ai_will_do in general doesn't behave like "comparative weights" so to speak, how does it behaves? My only other assumption is that, on a "tick" (20 days in the base game). the decisions (and now minor titles) are evaluated for each characters and if condition are met, each character has a chance of firing the decision equal to the ai_will_do value. Is this correct? In the case of unique titles like designated regent, if there are more than one candidate with ai_will_do > 1, how is it determined which one is chosen?

Sorry if this is an irrelevant question, but I think a full understanding of this will at this point be a neat gain for the community, since as far as I know there is no firm knowledge about this. Thank you very much in advance

Reactions:
Update:

Changes to bookmarks:

Now have a token name (bm_charlemagne) and three additional properties, era, picture and custom_start.

era = yes means that it should be used in the era screen
picture = NAME is the picture that should be used in the era screen
custom_start = yes means that it is the bookmark that should be used if the player clicks directly on custom start in the era screen

The era screen use those bookmarks flagged with era = yes (but no more than 5 - and it picks them chronological). If no one is found it will just use the first bookmark. For the title it will look for a localization key based on name (BM_CHARLEMAGNE) plus _ERA. Tor the text it looks for (BM_CHARLEMAGNE) plus _ERA_INFO.

Example:

Code:
bm_charlemagne = {
   name = "BM_CHARLEMAGNE"
   desc = "BM_BM_CHARLEMAGNE_DESC"
   date = 769.1.1

era = yes
   picture = GFX_pick_era_image_1

selectable_character = {
     id = 6392 # Charlemagne
     age = 26
     title = k_france

character = {
       dna = bcedirmbfcy
       properties = aj00bc00000
       religion="catholic"
       culture="old_frankish"
       dynasty=25061
     }
   }
}

Bookmarks can now be appended/partly overwritten by including parts of the same bookmark in another file.

Example:

Code:
bm_charlemagne = {
   name = "BM_GARS"
   desc = "BM_GARS_DESC"
   date = 769.4.30

era = no
   picture = GFX_some_other_picture
}

All properties above can be changed this way. (Selected character can however only be appended and not removed/overwritten - in that case you must overwrite the original file instead as before).

I very much like this change. :)

Update:

Interesting ! What's the benefit of the selectable_character block ?
The character must be defined in character history anyway, so it seems redundant to duplicate its attribute/titles/ etc. in bookmarks, no ?

Code:
selectable_character = {
   id = 6392 # Charlemagne
   age = 26
   title = k_france

character = {
     dna = bcedirmbfcy
     properties = aj00bc00000
     religion="catholic"
     culture="old_frankish"
     dynasty=25061
   }
}
compared to current:
Code:
character = 6392 # Charlemagne

Reactions:
The attributes are there to avoid having to read character history to display the character on the age selection screen.

Reactions:
The attributes are there to avoid having to read character history to display the character on the age selection screen.
But character history is already loaded, and the prior/existing code already does this without issue...

But character history is already loaded, and the prior/existing code already does this without issue...

How do you know it does it "without issue"? ;)

How do you know it does it "without issue"? ;)
Fair enough. :p

I've simply never witnessed or had reports of any errors with loading the appropriate history data for a character referenced in a bookmark.

EDIT: Will the old syntax-- just specifying a character ID-- still be available? I'm not looking forward to doing manual history execution in my head (or via a program) for every interesting character in my 50+ bookmarks, with different versions for each map that I support.

Last edited:
I want to ask before I'm going to ask about modding. What is this forum for? I don't want to break the rules so.. I'm sorry bad english, but I think I tell the point.

This thread is for Captain Gars to report what changes he's made to improve moddability.

Reactions:
I want to ask before I'm going to ask about modding. What is this forum for? I don't want to break the rules so.. I'm sorry bad english, but I think I tell the point.

There is is another thread called "Modding - Quick Questions" or something like that. Also, the CK2 wiki has a *really* *really* nice section on modding.

Reactions:
"When" is for the most part "with the next DLC patch", though some made it into 2.4.5.

The changes that the Captain advertises that he's done are always slated for _whenever the CK2 team feels like merging his changes into a future patch of some kind_. Usually, we need to wait for the next major patch/DLC, but sometimes (2.1.5 and 2.4.5) we get stuff early. Since no 2.4.6 is reasonably going to come down the pipe with brand new modding features (even 2.4.5 was bugfixes), you'll be waiting for 2.5 to pop in this case.