• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You didn't get a screen shot of any_direct_de_jure_vassal_title, just the other two which are just valid in effects.

I am trying to add a new theocracy government for abbeys. The government type has the line
Code:
title_prefix = "abbot_"
However, I'm unable to make (baron level) holders of these titles actually be called Abbots. In the mousover, their title is correctly named as "Abbot of such-and-such", however, they are still called "Bishop whoever of such-and-such" in the main character view.

Here are the localisations I've tried so far to fix this:
Code:
abbot_baron;Abbot;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
abbot_baron_catholic;Abbot;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
abbot_baron_christian;Abbot;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
This looks like a bug to me, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

There's a similar problem with the holding itself, which is still called "Bishopric of such-and-such".

Why are they limited in such a way? And as you can see in the picture the any_direct_de_jure_vassal_title lacks localisation.

You write in your post that you use any_de_jure_vassal and any_direct_de_jure_vassal - and as you can see form my list there are no such triggers. I'm guessing you try to use a non-existing one in the first screenshot and maybe any_direct_de_jure_vassal_title in the second, and just miss-wrote it in the text? So I will check that one, but please make sure you write the correct info in your post so that I'm not sent off looking for other stuff.

Why the lack of consistent triggers/effects? Only the team can answer that. During my time on EU4 I enforced a number of rules regarding triggers and effects that later projects should follow but unfortunately CK2 works more in the "old way".

Reactions:
Minor issue - localisation for custom government type duke is acting weird. It refuses to show in the character sheet but is seen in character finder:

UXef1dj.jpg

As seen in the screenshot - character sheet shows regular feudal title for that culture ("Doukas") while custom government title is seen in the character finder.

King level title for custom government works as intended.

Please add steps to reproduce or even better a zip file with the modification.

I will state this again: Please report issues with save games/mods/steps to reproduce etc.

I don't want to waste a lot of time just trying to figure out what you did instead of fixing the actual problem.

Don't assume that I instantly get what it is you're trying to do because I haven't worked on CK2 since its initial release in 2011.

Reactions:
I think most conditions not working in government potential clause is probably a bug. For example flags and having laws enacted are not recognised ofr government potential.

Plus, the is_merchant_republic flag for governments seems to do actually nothing at all for custom governments (is not even recognised in the features screen)

Again, please be a little clearer. Are you talking about the merchant_republic property in governments or the trigger is_merchant_republic (I'm assuming the former)? merchant_republic seems to work ok - note though that you can only set it on a republic, not any other sort of government type - but I will check.

And it would be good if you explain what features it is that aren't working.

You write in your post that you use any_de_jure_vassal and any_direct_de_jure_vassal - and as you can see form my list there are no such triggers. I'm guessing you try to use a non-existing one in the first screenshot and maybe any_direct_de_jure_vassal_title in the second, and just miss-wrote it in the text? So I will check that one, but please make sure you write the correct info in your post so that I'm not sent off looking for other stuff.

Why the lack of consistent triggers/effects? Only the team can answer that. During my time on EU4 I enforced a number of rules regarding triggers and effects that later projects should follow but unfortunately CK2 works more in the "old way".
I'm using the ones you mentioned in your post, I just misswrote them in my post. But why is any_de_jure_vassal_title limited to effects only?

I'm using the ones you mentioned in your post, I just misswrote them in my post. But why is any_de_jure_vassal_title limited to effects only?
Re-read his second paragraph, especially the second sentence.

This sounds like the same problem is was reporting. Here is my modification.

You can build an abbey holding by calling event abbey.2, and then choosing the first option in the next event. This will make a new temple holding in the capital, which should have the new government type.

Attachments

• abbeys_dev.zip
    52 KB · Views: 12
You didn't get a screen shot of any_direct_de_jure_vassal_title, just the other two which are just valid in effects.
Actually they are any_de_jure_vassal_title at the top and any_direct_de_jure_vassal_title in the lower one. Or granted the lower one is

Code:
NOT = {
    any_direct_de_jure_vassal_title = {

}
}

Did you read the second paragraph?

Reactions:
Did you read the second paragraph?
It appears not. Well I guess it goes on the list of modding feautres requested. But still localisation missing from NOT = {any_direct_de_jure_vassal_title. = {}}

Again, please be a little clearer. Are you talking about the merchant_republic property in governments or the trigger is_merchant_republic (I'm assuming the former)? merchant_republic seems to work ok - note though that you can only set it on a republic, not any other sort of government type - but I will check.

I was indeed to the merchant republic = yes in governments definitions. The post by Karolus Magnus (in thread "How to mod governments and tributaries" seemed to imply that property also worked for feudal governments. I will check again but I think it also didn't work for custom governments in the republic group when the custom government is applied tp a county tier title. Will try to mod it again and if I find a concrete problem again, will reply with the example mod.

As for the second part of my prior post, a post by Galle in the How to mod goverments and tributaries detailed a Lot of conditions that seem not to work within government potential. I will link to Said post ASAP

Reactions:

In this bug report by Galle you can see better what the issues are, the fact that governments cannot be set in title history is probably a bug, too!
De facto the only recognized in potential are character traits so we need to set them in character's history and then you state changes government "historically" but Galle said this happened after the game started too that is in the lodge the government was wrong then after game started governments.txt file was evalutated and finally the correct government was shown...

Yes the merchant_republic flag can be set only in republics and is for this, that we mistaken this as a bug: I hoped to use it as a kludgy solution to have another government in which Patricians could exists but the game deleted them always if they are not vassals of a Merchant Republic!

In this link you find my effort to create a County level Merchant Republic, I simply modified the Merchant republic in government changing the block "NOT = { lower_tier_than = count }" with "NOT = { lower_tier_than = baron }". I've modified the history of the County of Ancona to be a Merchant Republic in 1149.1.1 with all the Patrician as vassals, the Republic is apparently playable but has not Patrician Elective Succession and so, some day after, I get a Game Over screen!

Last edited:
Reactions:
It isn't possible to set government types in history files.

My investigations have shown that:

• The set_government_type command does not work in history effect blocks, and there is no history command equivalent. Governments are apparently not calculated until startup.
  • Government type potential block cannot check title flags or laws. It can check certain title conditions, such as is_tribal_type_title.
Unless there's something we're missing, our ability to control initial government types is excruciatingly limited.

Just do any_realm_title, with a "tier = baron" limit.

Continued investigation of how to control historical governments. Here's what I've discovered:

• Government type potential recognizes culture.
  • Government type potential recognizes religion.
  • Government type potential recognizes specific landed titles.
  • Government type potential DOES NOT recognize laws.
  • Government type potential DOES NOT recognize character flags.
  • Government type potential DOES NOT recognize title flags.
You also cannot set government types in histories, period.

So it looks like if you want a title to use a specific government type historically, the only way to do it is to single it out in the potential block by name. So if government types are at all important in your mod, sorry, but your potential blocks are going to be enormous and will have to list every title that uses that government type individually.

I'm going to keep looking for a better option, but I'm doubtful. I've filed this as a bug report, as it effectively makes government types completely unmoddable for most purposes, but I'm not optimistic about Paradox ever acknowledging the issue.

In addition, here are the relevant quotes from the governments modding discussion

People keep saying that Government potential doesn't recognize title flags, but I managed to get the game to recognize them by doing this:

Code:
potential = {
capital_holding = {
has_title_flag = is_a_monastery
}
}

Granted, I can't get the game to recognize a title flag on anything outside of the capital_holding scope, so it's still an issue.

Reactions:
Suggestions go here or on the wiki.

Zip file is available from here: https://github.com/yenot/fs-base

Look at any duke in the blue-colored kingdom in de jure green-colored empire ("Kingdom of Psilensia") first in the main character view, then in the character finder, then in the vassal tab of his liege to reproduce the bug. First case is different from the second and the third.

It indeed seems the same as the problem reported by @Careful Plum,only it is baron in his case and duke here. The steps to reproduce are as follows:

1. Add custom government
2. Add

Code:
title_prefix = "heavenly_"

to custom government description.
3. Add

Code:
heavenly_king_kraitan;Hierarch;;;;;;;;;;;;;
heavenly_kingdom_kraitan;Hierarchy;;;;;;;;;;;;;
heavenly_kingdom_of_kraitan;Hierarchy of;;;;;;;;;;;;;
heavenly_duke_kraitan;Hierostrategos;;;;;;;;;;;;;
heavenly_duchy_kraitan;Eparchia;;;;;;;;;;;;;
heavenly_duchy_of_kraitan;Eparchia of;;;;;;;;;;;;;

to localization.
4. Assign custom government to the king via character history (localization works fine for him).
5. Assign custom government to everyone who has the top liege with this government via on_startup.
6. Check the localization for the duke-level characters with this custom government in different UI elements (main character view, character finder, liege's vassal tab).