• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(61652)

Private
Oct 11, 2006
Hey guys.
Cant wait to get started. Thank you for the mod and great game.

I Unziped all the files from TGW Download and pasted the files on hearts of iron.
I clicked into the game and YES it worked.
The loading screen showed The great war pictures the menues deffent and the scenario are new.
I try playing a scenario but i get a error.
So i didnt install it right? Its not as simple as just pasting the files into HIO.
Yes?

The Resson im asking is becuase theres no sticky showing how to, And all your help downloads are broken.

Another thing why is there no New Zealanders in TGW mode.
New Zealand played a huge roll in the great war?

Thank guys

3. Locate the file Setup.exe on the CD-ROM. Run the program.
4. Choose the Repair option. Follow the on-screen instructions until you reach the Finish prompt.
5. Check in Windows Explorer, and you should have a new directory called \Hearts of Iron.

What does all this mean?

Antony_nz said:
Hey guys.
Cant wait to get started. Thank you for the mod and great game.

I Unziped all the files from TGW Download and pasted the files on hearts of iron.
I clicked into the game and YES it worked.
The loading screen showed The great war pictures the menues deffent and the scenario are new.
I try playing a scenario but i get a error.
So i didnt install it right? Its not as simple as just pasting the files into HIO.
Yes?

The Resson im asking is becuase theres no sticky showing how to, And all your help downloads are broken.

Another thing why is there no New Zealanders in TGW mode.
New Zealand played a huge roll in the great war?

Thank guys

Ok Hello
Yep, its not as simple as just pasting the files into Hoi1,i remember having to follow the instructions very very carefully! But you probley havnt got it too wrong as the game is firing up.
Problems i had were Make sure you remove the correct hoi1 files as stated in the install.
Also problems can happen if you dont install the no time limit patch which comes with the mod and allows you to play the earlier time frame.
All i know about this mod i have learned from reading the 8 pages of this forum most questions i had have been asked and answered before in these threads.This is my best tip.

New Zealand,Australia,South Afrika and Canada did all play huge parts in WW1 but dont exist in the game separatly for game play reasons i think?They all fight together with England as The Empire .Dont follow the dark side young jedi :D Its a game of empires versus Empires really as it was the question is whose empire will win?As it is possible in game for all the empires to collapse and implode into separate and new states.
Hope this helps.
Dr

Ok i get it DR rare. Thanks! :p
Again... :rolleyes:

So im ok, i throw all the TGW files into hearts of iron, BUT
I need to dellet a few things in hearts of iron,

So all i need to no is What are the file names that need to be delleted in hearts of iron.

Thanks again, Im keen to play.

Heres a good idea, Is this posible.

a 1900 mod thats has a same tecs as 1900, You build your army for WW1 and WW1 events take place, Then WW2 Events take place, If Germanys alive, All the tecs are there.
Then the mod just keeps going, The Korean civil war war break out if in 1950,
If Korea is a independent country after WW2, ect
Like wise with NAM.
Another words, A mod that covers tecs, Armys and posible events from 1900 to 2050:)

Btw after the Great war can you keep playing up to WW2?
After the great war will germany still go to war with poland?
If germanys alive after WW1?

Any way yea, What files to i dellet?

Thanks dude.

Antony_nz said:
4. Choose the Repair option. Follow the on-screen instructions until you reach the Finish prompt.
5. Check in Windows Explorer, and you should have a new directory called \Hearts of Iron.

What does all this mean?
Next Question :)

3.Put your CD into your computer(do not run the disk from the auto install start up on screen when you put it in your pc cancel that).Go to "my computer" and Explore ,look inside the CD files on the disk,Inside you will see the file called setup.exe.click on that and run the program as said in the tgw instructions.

All the next (3 and 4)should now become apparent.

5. Check in Windows Explorer, and you should have a new directory in your main Paradox Entertainment folder called Paradox Entertainment\Hearts of Iron.(Becuase you have renamed your original loaded hoi1 game folder temporarely)So there are now 2 files in your paradox folder.One your renamed hoi1 ww2 game and the second the new one called Paradox Entertainment/Hearts of iron which you will change into your TGW game.
Then continue following the instructions (i think next you have to change the new directory name from hearts of Iron to The Great War and not forget to change your original hoi game folder name back to Hearts of Iron).You will end up with 2 folders in your paradox folder one your original Hearts of iron install and your new one The Great War mod.
Continue to follow the instructions carefully.

Yes it is confusing,but you will get there. :)

Any more questions post them in this thread as otherwise you will get nagged by moderators,you might have noticed your other threads were closed by a moderator.You can always send a PM(Private message)to moderators though if you are unsure or have a question,they seem to know everything and are very helpful if you ask in my experiance.

Because this mod is one of the harder ones to install you will end up learning a lot and find adding any other hoi1 modifications easy,like the school of hard knocks, but once you have installed TGW its a great mod. :cool:

I hope this helps ,others may have clearer answers to your questions but Hoi1 is an old game and the hoi1 forums are quite quiet so you have to wait for a quite a while sometimes for people to answer your questions.Also be aware for many people in these forums English is not there first language,so be understanding. ;)
Enjoy :D

Dr Rare

God no... Hearts of irons on the my computer and i cant get rid of it. Ill have to reinstall windows.

UPDATE:

Wow you wont believe this, I have delleted every thing, But only thing i cant dellet is GFX/ Setings?

Antony_nz said:
Im sorry :(
But the walkthrought givs me no help.

Temporarily rename it to something else.
I cant rename it i get a error?

Ok sorry i am not a computer tech,try turning your pc off then on again this sometimes helps if you been messing with stuff.
You should be able to just rename your Hearts of Iron folder by right clicking on it and scrolling down and choosing rename?

I found it difficult myself to install this mod ,so bear with me its a past memory.I am looking at the install instructions now myself.Sorry if i ask you idiot questions.

Do you already have Hoi1 up and running and installed on your system?Yes obviously ok.This game is in your... my computer/Drive name C (or whatever its called on your system)/Program Files/Paradox Entertainment/Hearts of Iron.

You should just be able to change that Hearts of Irons folder name to whatever or in my case "Hearts of Ironing"

Check it and see after computer switch off and on.Tell me if this works?
If it does Follow the instructions very carefully.

The instructions tell You put your game CD in your pc and to Cancel the “Play” screen if it appears this is the screen that comes up when you put the cd in your pc like a loading/install screen which gives you the options play,install,uninstall and quit.You choose quit.Ok

Then you go to your my computer right click on your cd drive with hoi in it with your mouse and scroll down and chose the option explore.You are now using windows explorer!You should now be able to see the contents of your hoi cd,s files ,one of which is call setup.exe just double click on it,or right click on it and choose the option open or run as. Then the cd should start to run the start up play screen again now with the option 'repair' You should have already renamed your original hoi1 game folder.So basically the cd then installs all the missing Hearts of Iron folder files ,which is all of them as the computer thinks there not their anymore because you have renamed the folder.So now when you follow the on-screen instructions until you reach the Finish prompt there should be 2 folders in your paradox folder now one your original called Hearts of ironing and one new one called hearts of iron.You then rename Hearts of Iron to The Great War.Then you change the name of Hearts of Ironing back to Hearts of iron.

You then add patch 1.06c in the normal way,When asked to Choose Destination Location make sure you choose your new The Great War Folder to patch.
Continue to follow the TGW install instructions

Get back to me if you still have more questions

Dr Rare

Antony_nz said:
God no... Hearts of irons on the my computer and i cant get rid of it. Ill have to reinstall windows.

UPDATE:

Wow you wont believe this, I have delleted every thing, But only thing i cant dellet is GFX/ Setings?

Its all a bit techy for me try the hoi support forum thread there are many posts about installing and uninstalling problems.I dont think you have to go as far as to reinstall windows!
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=132
Paradox Interactive Forums - HoI - Support Forum

good luck

Antony_nz said:
Thank you so much, It worked.
I have just gone to war with Germany, Thanks alot :)
Excellent news,
I knew you would get there in the end,now add the new TGW Mini-mod for even more ww1 historical fun :)
Beware the German Death sausage in the sky!!!!!!!