• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You mean there's a way to UNDO what you did with the editor and make the game WORK? :eek:

EDIT: I'm serious. Is there?

Last edited:
You mean you saved over the original files?
If so then uninstall and Reinstall the game

SHIT! I unistalled and reinstalled and now my game is fucked. I don't have HoI2.exe in my game folder and I can't install the patch. WTF is going on!? :mad:

I have the same problem! I made a few changes, and ZAM, the same error message.

I, however, got it to start. I am playing the '36 campaign as the USA. Now, so far there are no real gameplay issues. All the changes come through fine. The only thing that is wrong is a bunch of "UNKNOWN STRING WANTED" messages in the game, especially in the pop up messages, lots in the tech tree (most annoying), the production screen (as they correspond to the tech tree) and almost the entire intelligence tab. Almost all the actions in the intelligence tab have the same message. They still work fine, but aesthetics suffer horribly.

Now, the strangest thing is that I only edited the stats for the provinces, and only the resources there (Oil, Steel, Pop, IC, the like). I didn't touch the tech tree. Very, very odd.

I had this edited before I patched it. The IC stayed the same, and I had the whole tech tree. But the patch eliminated the changes for the other resources. When I went back and reedited it, the same errors appeared. This says that the errors might be caused by editing the specific resources.

Also, I've done some testing myself. After this, I have (unscientifically) determined that the errors might be caused by editing only specific resources in specific provinces. When I edited the USA east coast, I had no errors. When I edited the rest of the nation, I got the error again.

Hope this helps someone determining what the hell is going on!

thanks for the update.

Alexus said:
SHIT! I unistalled and reinstalled and now my game is fucked. I don't have HoI2.exe in my game folder and I can't install the patch. WTF is going on!? :mad:
That is a seperate issue we can deal with in the other thread you started.

Okay, sorry to be so angry but I've had to go without Doomsday for four days now... I'm suffering withdrawl *shivers*

fp

Having the same problem as the original poster.

When I tried to uninstall the game (to reinstall it) an got an error from the uninstall engine. Deleting the folders being affected by my editor changes and running a repair, replace the "damaged" files making the game work again.

If you however just run a repair on the game without first removing the files you want to replace, it will not work as you intend.

Thought I'd share this with you guys who seem to be "stuck" at the moment.
I'll try redo my uninstall maneuver to see if I can reproduce the problem (if so, I'll report it the appropriate way).

No need to report the same thing here guys, as I have nothing to do with bug hunting. The guys that do are aware of the problem and it is being worked on. So if you have new info by all means file a bug report please, following the instructions in the sticky thread.

You can use the edditor you know. Just make a copy of your DD folder, use the copied edditor, take the lines out of the files you need and paste them in the originals. This way your files won't be screwed up but you can use the edditor.

Thanks for the tip.

The problem is:

Before using the editor
;HEARTS OF IRON! Doomsday;;;;;;;;;;X
##;;;;;;;;;;;X
##;;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Open this document in Excel, version 5 or later.;;;;;;;;;;;X
##### To convert the semicolon-separated list to a normal Excel table, first click on the 'A' above to select the entire 'A' column.;;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Select 'Data' -> 'Text to Columns' -> 'Delimited' -> 'Next';;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Check 'Semicolon' (ONLY!) -> 'Finish';;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Select column 'A' through 'K' (click + drag on letters above columns);;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Right-click anywhere on the sheet (inside the selection) and select 'Column width' and set it so that only THREE columns are visible ('45' with 1024 x 768 screen resolution);;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Right-click anywhere on the sheet again (still inside the selection) and select 'Format Cells' -> 'Alignment' -> check 'Wrap Text' + select 'Vertical: Top' -> 'OK';;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Place the cursor in cell C1 and select 'Window' -> 'Freeze Panes' (allows you to scroll horizontally to see any language in the rightmost coulmn while still having the string names/comments and the english original text in the left and middle column;;;;;;;;;;;X
##### CAREFULLY read the instructions in cells B18 ? B36;;;;;;;;;;;X
##;;;;;;;;;;;X
##;;;;;;;;;;;X
##;NOTES TO TRANSLATORS:;;;;;;;;;;X
##;=====================;;;;;;;;;;X
##;;;;;;;;;;;X

After using the editor...
HEARTS OF IRON! Doomsday;;;;;;;;;;X
##;;;;;;;;;;
##;;;;;;;;;;
##### Open this document in Excel, version 5 or later.;;;;;;;;;;
##### To convert the semicolon-separated list to a normal Excel table, first click on the 'A' above to select the entire 'A' column.;;;;;;;;;;
##### Select 'Data' -> 'Text to Columns' -> 'Delimited' -> 'Next';;;;;;;;;;
##### Check 'Semicolon' (ONLY!) -> 'Finish';;;;;;;;;;
##### Select column 'A' through 'K' (click + drag on letters above columns);;;;;;;;;;
##### Right-click anywhere on the sheet (inside the selection) and select 'Column width' and set it so that only THREE columns are visible ('45' with 1024 x 768 screen resolution);;;;;;;;;;
##### Right-click anywhere on the sheet again (still inside the selection) and select 'Format Cells' -> 'Alignment' -> check 'Wrap Text' + select 'Vertical: Top' -> 'OK';;;;;;;;;;
##### Place the cursor in cell C1 and select 'Window' -> 'Freeze Panes' (allows you to scroll horizontally to see any language in the rightmost coulmn while still having the string names/comments and the english original text in the left and middle column;;;;;;;;;;
##### CAREFULLY read the instructions in cells B18 ? B36;;;;;;;;;;
##;;;;;;;;;;
##;;;;;;;;;;
##;NOTES TO TRANSLATORS:;;;;;;;;;
##;=====================;;;;;;;;;
##;;;;;;;;;;

After
;HEARTS OF IRON! Doomsday;;;;;;;;;;X
##;;;;;;;;;;;X
##;;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Open this document in Excel, version 5 or later.;;;;;;;;;;;X
##### To convert the semicolon-separated list to a normal Excel table, first click on the 'A' above to select the entire 'A' column.;;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Select 'Data' -> 'Text to Columns' -> 'Delimited' -> 'Next';;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Check 'Semicolon' (ONLY!) -> 'Finish';;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Select column 'A' through 'K' (click + drag on letters above columns);;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Right-click anywhere on the sheet (inside the selection) and select 'Column width' and set it so that only THREE columns are visible ('45' with 1024 x 768 screen resolution);;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Right-click anywhere on the sheet again (still inside the selection) and select 'Format Cells' -> 'Alignment' -> check 'Wrap Text' + select 'Vertical: Top' -> 'OK';;;;;;;;;;;X
##### Place the cursor in cell C1 and select 'Window' -> 'Freeze Panes' (allows you to scroll horizontally to see any language in the rightmost coulmn while still having the string names/comments and the english original text in the left and middle column;;;;;;;;;;;X
##### CAREFULLY read the instructions in cells B18 ? B36;;;;;;;;;;;X
##;;;;;;;;;;;X
##;;;;;;;;;;;X
##;NOTES TO TRANSLATORS:;;;;;;;;;;X
##;=====================;;;;;;;;;;X
##;;;;;;;;;;;X

*these are just samples not the whole file

the "X"s after the ;;;;;; have been removed as well as the ; before HEARTS OF IRON! Doomsday

I had the same problem and figured this out, so if whoever is working to fix this I hope this helps

Well since the people tasked to fix bugs do not read this forum, as it is not a bug reporting forum, can you send an e-mail outlining this, following the procedure outlined in the sticky thread on the subject, thank-you.

The same problem appeared to me but I thought how can Iget rid of that.
So I copied the database folder and the gfx folder (thanks to scytth and kristoff for that wonderfull unit icons) to desktop, repaired DD, installed patch and copied back the two folders. Now it's going to be worse.
I started a 36 game (no matter which nation) and saved it. As I loaded the saved game at the point "Szenario wird geladen (scenario load)" I got a black screen and a windows failure message. Started a new game at another year and the problem still remains.
After editing for hours I dont want to renounce that work.

Yesterday I throwed all Hearts of Iron stuff off my harddisk.

Well that sort of renounces it no?
Do a fresh install to get a working game back.

A fresh install cleans up the problem. The damaged files are entirely in the <config> folder, so anyone who needs to re-install can copy the <db> and <scenarios> folders and paste them over the re-install to prevent loosing edited information.

The editor only corrupts files when editing tech trees. To be safe make a copy of the contents of the <config> file and use the copy to replace the corrupted files if the problem reappears.