Can't get Raven or Hatchetman as starter in random career mode with edited jsons to work

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Saber Avalon

Sergeant
14 Badges
Feb 23, 2018
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Prison Architect
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
I've had my Career mode random list of mechs json files edited for some time. Basically, I set them all to the same chance of being selected and included all of the medium and light mechs in the game, but split them up among the five jsons (itemCollection_Mechs_Starting_0 to 4, five files total). With my current setup, basically 55 tonners can only show up in slot 0, only lights show up in slots 3 and 4, and slots 1 and 2 are a mix of heavy lights and light mediums.

Anywho, I noticed I've never started with a Raven or Hatchetman, even though I've included them in my lists. That could be RNG luck, so I edited one of the slots to only have those two mechs. Now when I try to start a new career it gets stuck on an infinite loading screen. I'm using the following mechdef lines for both:

mechdef_raven_RVN-1X
mechdef_raven_RVN-3X

mechdef_hatchetman_HCT-3F
mechdef_hatchetman_HCT-3X

At first I thought it might be because they're DLC mechs, but I checked what DLC mechs there were here: https://github.com/caardappel-hbs/bt-dlc-designdata
Some of those mechs work in my custom randomized lists.

For Urban Warfare: I've been able to start with all three of the Javelins.
For Heavy Metal: Both Fleas, all three Phoenix Hawks, and both Vulcans work.
For Flashpoint: All the Crabs work, even Big Steel Claw (There's two mechdefs for BSC and I've tested both, they both work).

The only ones I can't get to work are the Raven and Hatchetman variants. Any ideas why I can't get these to work in the random selection list for career mode?

Please don't tell me to use the save editor, that defeats the purpose of random selection.

Suppose I should say what I've tried as troubleshooting so far:
- I've been copy pasting the names over. In case I had a copy/paste error, I copied the name from github and pasted it to a note pad (to remove formatting), then copied that into the jsons, no dice.
- If I make a list with the Hatchetman and Raven variants, then include a single mech of any other kind, I can watch the loading screen restart a couple times then finally load up the career game with the other added mech in the bay slot every time. So it seems like the game sometimes selects the Raven or Hatchetman from the list, thinks about it, doesn't work, then goes back to reselect the mech and keeps doing that until it gets one of the mechs that works.
- I deleted my edited json, then copied back in the backup file I had of it. Edit the backup file and it still doesn't work.
Edit: Tried a couple more things:
- Noticed the mechdef files in the github have "MinAppearanceDate" : "3025-06-28T00:00:00Z", for the Hatchetman and "MinAppearanceDate" : "3027-01-01T00:00:00Z", for the Raven. None of the other light or medium mechs seem to have these lines. I found a line in "SimGameConstants.json" for career start date, changed that to 3027-01-02T00:00:00Z so the Raven qualifies, no change, game still gets stuck loading. Restored my SimGameConstants.json after that.
- I then tried creating mechdef and chassisdef files for the Raven and Hatchetman, using the info from the github, since I can't get to the actual ones for DLC mechs. I removed those MinAppearanceDate lines for all four variants. Same thing, still gets stuck loading.

Has anyone been able to get the Hatchetman or Raven to work in a modified, random start, career json file before? (ex/ itemCollection_Mechs_Starting_0)

Last edited:
Perhaps it’s because those Mechs don’t appear in the game until their flashpoints are completed. The Bull Shark also falls into that category.
Interesting possibility. I hope not, the whole point of me wanting to include them in the random start list is because by the time you get to their flashpoints, there's no reason to use either mech. Each time I've played a game, by the time I unlock them, I'm using heavy and assault mechs with very little reason to ever pull out a medium or light. Having them sooner might let me get some use out of them.

Assuming that is the reason, is there a true/false value or something, somewhere that can be modified to have them show up sooner? I thought changing the career starting date would have taken care of that, but it doesn't seem so.

In the settings.json, there's a variable "enforceMinAppearnceDateForUnits" but I'm not certain that would fix your issue. I think that using the save game editor to mark those flashpoints as completed could work, but that doesn't help with what you're trying to do.

Perhaps it’s because those Mechs don’t appear in the game until their flashpoints are completed. The Bull Shark also falls into that category.
This is correct, I've just tested.

1) I added the Raven to itemCollection_Mechs_Starting_0 and started Career - game stuck

2) I removed this from the Raven's mechdef and tested - career starts with 1 Raven:
Code:
    "RequiredToSpawnCompanyTags" : {
        "items" : [
            "flashpoint_uw1_complete"
        ],
        "tagSetSourceFile" : ""
    },

3) I added it again to the mechdef and retested - game stuck again

4) I went to SimGameConstants.json and added this - career starts with 1 Raven

Code:
        "CareerStartingTags" :[
            "flashpoint_uw1_complete",
        ]

TLDR - You need to remove the flashpoint tag requirement from the mechdef for the Raven, Hatchetman and Bull Shark to appear as starting random 'Mechs. In alterneatuve, you can add the 'flashpoint_XXX_complete" tag to the CareerStartingTags on SimGameConstants.json

20221111131054_1.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is correct, I've just tested.

1) I added the Raven to itemCollection_Mechs_Starting_0 and started Career - game stuck

2) I removed this from the Raven's mechdef and tested - career starts with 1 Raven:
Code:
    "RequiredToSpawnCompanyTags" : {
        "items" : [
            "flashpoint_uw1_complete"
        ],
        "tagSetSourceFile" : ""
    },

3) I added it again to the mechdef and retested - game stuck again

4) I went to SimGameConstants.json and added this - career starts with 1 Raven

Code:
        "CareerStartingTags" :[
            "flashpoint_uw1_complete",
        ]

TLDR - You need to remove the flashpoint tag requirement from the mechdef for the Raven, Hatchetman and Bull Shark to appear as starting random 'Mechs. In alterneatuve, you can add the 'flashpoint_XXX_complete" tag to the CareerStartingTags on SimGameConstants.json

View attachment 908136
Ok, that's good to know it's possible, thanks for finding that.

I ran into a problem when I tried it however. I think it's with how I'm doing the mechdef edits. I couldn't actually find the mechdef files for the Hatchetman or Raven to edit them. I currently have my setup as a mod. In the mod file paths I've created mechdef json files for both mechs by copy and pasting the info from the github (ex/ https://github.com/caardappel-hbs/b...anWarfare/data/mech/mechdef_raven_RVN-1X.json). So one json for each variant. Even after removing the section you mentioned I get stuck on the loading screen.

How are you going about modifying the Raven mechdef file or where are you finding it?

Edit: As for the alternative you mentioned, about adding the 'flashpoint_XXX_complete" tag to the CareerStartingTags on SimGameConstants.json, would that prevent the flashpoint from showing up? I'd rather have the flashpoint still pop up in game.

EDIT 2: Finally got it to work. I was trying to use the built in mod support and just couldn't get it to take. Ended up getting modtek and it finally accepted my edit to the created jsons(After some struggles figuring out how modtek itself worked). That was way too painful. Thanks again Hobbes_, I'm still curious on your method? Did you use modtek or something else?

Edit 3: Now I have a new problem, got all that working and now I can't save anything. When I exit the game it locks up and I have to use task manager to close it..... If I disable modtek it closes fine. Load up modtek again and it does the same thing. Uninstalled the game, reinstalled, installed modtek again (no other mods) same thing. Can't exit without a lockup and can't save. Using version 3.0.5, so I tried 3.0.3 as an older version, same result. *headdesk*

Career Random Starting Mechs HCT and RVN Included.png

Last edited: