Can't get intercity passenger trains to run at all

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sjiveru

Major
42 Badges
Dec 30, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome Gold
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Cities in Motion
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
I'm having a problem apparently many people have experienced, but none of their solutions are working for me, so I'm posting the question anew.

The issue: external connections do not spawn passenger trains. They will spawn cargo trains if I allow road immigration (which this city is not designed to handle), but will not spawn passenger trains at all.

The current setup is this: one line, drawn from an outside connection added manually thanks to the Unlimited Outside Connections mod, ending in this station's M1.M module (which has a single pair of rail tracks, though it has three underground metro platforms).

Things I've tried:
  • Adding a vanilla station
  • Adding a loop from the disconnected end of the station back around
  • Adding a connection from the disconnected end of the station to another edge of the map
  • Testing for broken connections with an internal passenger line (the line runs 100% fine)
  • Turning off the Optimised Outside Connections mod
  • Turning off the Real Time mod
  • Using the AdvancedOutsideConnection mod's interface to confirm that yes, these are valid external connections with passenger values assigned
  • Visually confirming that there is in fact the expected 'fake passenger station' at the edge of the map
  • Ensuring that yes, 'Allow Intercity Trains' is checked on the station (in fact, I cannot uncheck it, on this or on a vanilla station I added to test)
  • Testing to make sure other outside connections work
    • I can't seem to add my own external road connections, but connections with the original highway do work
    • If that's hooked up and people can immigrate, cargo trains do get generated on the external rail line - it's only passenger trains that fail
    • Connecting to the original rail connection out (i.e. not the one I added using Unlimited Outside Connections), which works no better than the manually added one
None of the above has solved my problem.

It's also worth noting that before I started work on this city, I did a proof-of-concept test and did get passenger trains through effectively an identical setup. The one difference is that it was on a different version of the map.

I am quite at my wit's end about what to do here; I've spent quite a few hours setting up this city around a rail-only design, and cannot seem to get it to work at all. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

The game claims all of my mods are enabled (except a couple intentionally turned off), and for sure I have a bunch of mod-related interface options in-game just fine.

1) For tourists, is there anything to draw them in to the city? They need places to visit.

2) For citizens, did you make any actual train lines? It's not enough just to have tracks. You need to make lines. Just like Ferries and buses.

1) There are certainly parks, which should be drawing tourists.

2) I don't think you can make a manual line from your station to the map-edge external connection. I've had train immigration before and never had to do this.

1) For tourists, is there anything to draw them in to the city? They need places to visit.

Most things are tourist attractions. Commerce, parks, unique buildings, and monuments. ParkLife is all about tourist attractions.

2) For citizens, did you make any actual train lines? It's not enough just to have tracks. You need to make lines. Just like Ferries and buses.

Which citizens are you referring? Tourists?

There should be a button on the train to "Allow Intercity Traffic" which means basically bring in from the outside connections without lines. It just does it automatically, by default.

I've also had an issue where I had a train station that worked and brought in tourists. I replaced it with a metro-train-monorail hub, and no trains came. Tourists waited to leave, and I went to the edge of the map and saw them waiting to come in, but no train.

im pretty sure mine work, but im not turning off my airport, my cruise port and my intercity buses to find out
Its seems to work as intended but nothing trumps an airport

im pretty sure mine work, but im not turning off my airport, my cruise port and my intercity buses to find out
Its seems to work as intended but nothing trumps an airport

I think he is referring to the hubs. Are your trains going in and out of your hubs. His do nothing at all. The hub part (metro) is working for him, but the trains don't come in at all.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What stations are you using? There have been issues with some stations from the workstation looking great but not functioning properly. Biffa ran into this recently with one of the UK suburban stations.

I know this is an old thread but I was facing the same issue and I was able to get it working by :
1. Uninstall the `Unlimited outside connections revisited` mod once you have created the outside connections.
2. Go to each station and turn off the allow intercity train option.
3. Open the info panel again and turn the allow intercity train option on.

I am having this issue still. I have completely deleted all train (including cargo) stations, added back a vanilla single lane station. Once the station is connected, intercity trains are enabled by default on the building details popup. Hundreds of people queue up on the station and just stand there. I use a no-border camera mod to go to the edge of the map and see hundreds of people waiting for a train but no train ever spawns. They all have places they're going in my city.
Cargo trains work beautifully. Roughly 11 per minute come by to my 4 cargo train stations.
Is there a mod I can use in the meantime while this gets fixed?