• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GrauPanther

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2012
One thing I, being a Dutchman, would love is the ability to build canals in-game, in a similar way to roads.
Just shallow surface water within quays, perhaps not even part of the main water simulation?
Would be great for city beautification, with maybe minor transport and recreational functions, and maybe irrigation for farmland?

Upvote 0
I suppose, with the water simulation in this game, we could eventually have polders!

All we'd need is the ability to build dykes (OK I know there was something early on about having a same-sex relationship policy in this game or not, but this is about what the Americans call levees ;-) around shallow water areas, and water pumping stations to pump the water out...

The problem with this is there are no terrain tools, because of the real water system. So currently the way to go is for fake water looking ploppables like the simcity 4 canal mods. That would be a shame with "real" water in game. I'm going to see during map creation how small a canal I can make. Maybe I can pre-lay a semi-dutch city canal system. This is of course better done during play with plopable pumps and dams and a lower terrain tool. Would also require a seawall mod to brick in the canals...

I love our polders! (and the very complex water-management that comes with it.)

I agree with this. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could dig a ditch and then put a water-starting point in it and it then fills up with the water simulation effect?

I'd love to terraform and build dykes and canals. I'm not a civil engineer for nothing! Dutchies unite! ;)

When I went to the Netherlands I was amazed by the water engineering and by the beauty and efficiency of the city planning in general. I would love to build canal-crossed cities and towns like those in the Netherlands in Cities: Skylines! :)

So currently the way to go is for fake water looking ploppables like the simcity 4 canal mods.
That's what I intended in my first post (but I don't know the SC4 mod). Changes in the terrain mesh would probably be too large to make them look good for Amsterdam-style canals; larger shipping canals can probably be done with the landscaping tools.

Yes.. polders, land below (water) sea level, protected by dikes, kept dry by drainage canals and water pump stations. And using the game water dynamics to make flood diasters possible during a heavy (hurricane) storm or a tsunami. Dikes protecting low laying (polderland) that can break, especial if not well payed for maintenance. Stormflood barriers as the Thames barrier or the Oosterschelde dam. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUqrBV4SiqQ

Yes.. polders, land below (water) sea level, protected by dikes, kept dry by drainage canals and water pump stations. And using the game water dynamics to make flood diasters possible during a heavy (hurricane) storm or a tsunami. Dikes protecting low laying (polderland) that can break, especial if not well payed for maintenance. Stormflood barriers as the Thames barrier or the Oosterschelde dam. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUqrBV4SiqQ

I lived in the Netherlands in the early 1990s, and for a time I rented a house in Almere, which then was a new city. I remember driving on the road on top of the dyke that protects Flevoland and for the first time truly realising what it meant to live below sea level, even if there were still more dykes further north between me and the North Sea. From memory, the house I lived in was about five metres below sea level, which the dyke, with the water on one side and the land, visibly much lower on the other side, made only too clear.

It would certainly be nice if CSL became sophisticated enough to model that.

+1 is right. This is even good for industrial areas. Where I come from, water was used for both transport and for power back in the early Industrial Revolution time period. Many of the transport canals succumbed to the railroads, however, some of the bigger canal systems remained in the cities. These canals are now for recreational and park use, but were once used for transporting goods, for going around falls, and for powering the once very busy textile mills.

Here is an example up in Lowell, MA

http://binged.it/1KZGcXx

The smaller canal is a power canal, while the larger, Northern Canal, and Pawtucket Canal not shown, are used by boats to navigate around the Merrimack River Falls and the Concord River Falls.

A bit simpler system in Lawrence, MA

http://binged.it/1KZGVb9

These were power canals on both the north and south sides of the Merrimack River. Today they are part of a park system and are no longer used for powering the mills.

With the great water system in CS, it would be really nice to build some small power canals, which no longer turn mill wheels and mill turbines, but instead turn power turbines to supply power to the cities power grid.

John