Can the game please stop killing my rulers because of "poor health" when they are in their prime?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ive actually monitored this

sometimes the game prunes characters the old-fashioned way by just dropping their base health all the way down until they die. this is supposed to only happen to "unimportant" characters, but sometimes it just goes hogwild and picks your 35yo mother and regent who you appointed with your previous character specifically because she had high stewardship and you didnt want to spend the whole regency dealing with dumb demesne limit issues

in ops case it looks like his character was 74 fuckin years old so tbh im not... really sure thats what happened here. unless im interpreting that wrong which is entirely possible since i never learned how to read

edit: yeah i am interpreting that wrong nvm. i need to stop posting so late at night

Last edited:
ive actually monitored this

sometimes the game prunes characters the old-fashioned way by just dropping their base health all the way down until they die. this is supposed to only happen to "unimportant" characters, but sometimes it just goes hogwild and picks your 35yo mother and regent who you appointed with your previous character specifically because she had high stewardship and you didnt want to spend the whole regency dealing with dumb demesne limit issues

in ops case it looks like his character was 74 fuckin years old so tbh im not... really sure thats what happened here. unless im interpreting that wrong which is entirely possible since i never learned how to read

edit: yeah i am interpreting that wrong nvm. i need to stop posting so late at night

haha
the thing is: he was old AF, but only after I rolled back and played him some more

People don't just spontaneously combust, when people die suddenly it's usually that they ere sick but they were never diagnosed for whatever reason.

Yeah, and it still happens even today. Apparently healthy people suddenly die without warning, and sometimes at a young age, too.

Yeah, and it still happens even today. Apparently healthy people suddenly die without warning, and sometimes at a young age, too.
Yeah, but generally of easily identifiable things. Even then, in the absence of X-ray technology, people sort of knew what strokes, and heart attacks looked like. We already have characters who have died "Clutching at their hearts", and I'm sure the devs could come up with a death that matches a stroke.

"Poor health" as a cause of death might be acceptable if the character has the traits Frail, or Weak. But a Strong, Brawny, character shouldn't be dying of Poor Health at all. If the Game wants to kill a Brawny and Strong Ruler, it should find another cause, and we, the Players, won't be quite so upset...

The "problem" with the favored courtier is that those are often spawned by foci or decision (hunter, lover, or holy/noble men invited, commanders generated by marshal offmap-job). Those come with low health (4.x) and it's just likly that they die.
I hate this so much. What is the point of generating an awesome commander or my Hunting focus discovering this perfect woman if they end up dying in 5 years anyway? In terms of opportunity cost you might as well not bother unless you're desperate right now. Otherwise don't bother spending the money on inviting nobles/holy men, have your marshal do something else, etc. Starring these characters does not help either, as that only protects them from a different type of pruning.

Recently my character died and 5 of my 6 commanders (which had been generated by the marshal job) instantly died as well during the succession. I'm pretty sure I lost some of my councilors as well, though I don't remember for sure. So now, in addition to dealing with the regular succession instability, I also need to replace 5 veteran commanders.

I hate this so much. What is the point of generating an awesome commander or my Hunting focus discovering this perfect woman if they end up dying in 5 years anyway? In terms of opportunity cost you might as well not bother unless you're desperate right now. Otherwise don't bother spending the money on inviting nobles/holy men, have your marshal do something else, etc. Starring these characters does not help either, as that only protects them from a different type of pruning.
Even more amusing when you invite someone with age above 45 with expensive or one-in-livetime decision. Person sometimes dies withing a month after spawning. Searching for a guru works that way.

On the topic I agree with OP, I had the same experience. What's notable, guys with "poor health" cause of death always had something on them that made the statement absurd, i.e. bonus health modificators, like brawny or strong. With negative modifiers, I'm used to think that there is something like an additional activator to die just because of a bad health trait. And when I see this, it feels like the game counts all health traits as activators for random death, not only negative ones, and for that reason you get that absurd deaths.

Even more amusing when you invite someone with age above 45 with expensive or one-in-livetime decision. Person sometimes dies withing a month after spawning. Searching for a guru works that way.

On the topic I agree with OP, I had the same experience. What's notable, guys with "poor health" cause of death always had something on them that made the statement absurd, i.e. bonus health modificators, like brawny or strong. With negative modifiers, I'm used to think that there is something like an additional activator to die just because of a bad health trait. And when I see this, it feels like the game counts all health traits as activators for random death, not only negative ones, and for that reason you get that absurd deaths.

That is because negative modifiers usually dont just come (except weak and frail)
Bad treatment comes with an illness and your death is related to that illness (Bad case of flu, infected wound, stress, Depression)

But poor health? That just comes to anyone at anytime - which is why it is one of the few reasons to roll back for me
If i dont have an heir yet, i can avoid a dangerous Life Style, but try avoiding poor health...