• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Walle76

Sergeant
33 Badges
Nov 9, 2007
www.valfarden.blogspot.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • March of the Eagles
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I see several messages here about same issue, they hasn´t any answers. I written before but then been diverted here. My issue.

I have Victoria I on an old fashion disc. I have Victoria revolution on GG.

I can´t get even a pure Victoria I to work (even done the things other person wrote about changing settings).

EDIT: Was on my way to buy it on Steam, but saw someone write in french that even if you buy it from steam it won´t work with Windows 10- is that correct?
Read the details - it says it is not compatible with windows 7, that is weird as I have done that for years.

What to do? It is my favourite game off all times. Easy to play and easy to moddify.

Last edited:
Just plain "Program isn´t working" (in swedish, so might not be proper translated). Yes, even when I do it in compability mode. Sad, my favourite game off all times. Would be interesting to know if someone has bought "Victoria Complete" (is it Ricky+rev together?) and make it work with compability mode. Then I might buy that, as it isn´t so expansive.

I have Victoria Complete from https://www.gog.com/game/victoria_complete. It works fine on Windows 10...Unlike the steam version, the unlimited timeline mod works with the gog version...

And yes, Victoria Complete includes Revolutions as well as the original Victoria.

I play the original since the economy in Vicky 2 tends to do weird things more so than the original Vicky

Edit: Have you updated your video driver? Also, do you have an nvidia or AMD video card?

Last edited:
Edit: Have you updated your video driver? Also, do you have an nvidia or AMD video card?

Eh, I am increadible bad at thoose kind of things. But 1) No, I haven´t. The computer is just a year old. 2) It is an Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20 GHZ proc, but Video I don´t know . The only video-ish info i found is "Video-BIOS: 1036.0" does that answer your question? Could be AMD - found something called that regarding "sound, video- and playunits" and then it says "AMD High definition audio device" But that is sound so... Don´t know where to look... *embarrasing*

It was cheap so I made a try. Doesn´t work. What a **** . The best game ever... :(

Strange. I and several others has contacted Paradox about this problem, and very little respons or attitude of caring.
However the GOG-crew is great. Got in just a few hours this great respons:
"
Please try these troubleshooting steps:
1) Please make sure that you use "Run as Administrator" to install and to start the game (right-click on the shortcut or setup file and select "Run as Administrator"). If you are using Galaxy, then make sure to run Galaxy as Administrator.

2) Please reinstall the game AND add it to your anti-virus/firewall software's exception/trusted list. Simply disabling the firewall or AV software could not be enough, since some of theses software are still running in the background or in the services list. If you are using Galaxy, then please add Galaxy as well.

3) Reinstall the June 2010 DirectX runtime package. You can find the archive file containing the 2010 package installation files here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

After that please download and install the DirectX Web Installer:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35

You will have to extract the files into some folder, then open that folder and launch the DXSETUP.exe file in order to proceed with the installation.

4) Please update your graphics device drivers:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

5) Your DxDiag report shows that you're using an integrated Intel video device. Please follow this guide to change your preferred device (step 9 is for AMD/ATI users):
https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us...use-your-dedicated-GPU-on-a-Windows-computer-

6) Your DXDiag file suggests that you are using multiple monitors. This may cause problems in some games, therefore please disable all but the primary one before attempting to launch the game.
To do this, use the WindowsKey+P combination and use "Computer only". If this doesn't work, you need to disable the monitors in the graphics device Control Panel (right-click an empty section of your desktop to access it).

7) Please open the Control Panel (you can do it by pressing the Windows key+R, typing 'control' and hitting enter), go to Programs > Programs and Features, click the Turn Windows features on or off link, find the Legacy components on the list, enable DirectPlay and click OK to install it.

Please let me know if this solved the issue.

Regards,
Lisa
Customer Support Representative GOG.com"

And Voila! It worked. For me it was most certainly the one screen thing...

I am so, so happy!

iloathecapha: Do you know how to get full screen though? I get a slightly smaller game frame than I remember... :)

First time I get there I get a choice about graphics and I toook the highest, but it isn´t helping. When I start it again, no choices show. I am both to bad at English and at tech to get this stuff... :) Still the frame.

First time I get there I get a choice about graphics and I toook the highest, but it isn´t helping. When I start it again, no choices show. I am both to bad at English and at tech to get this stuff... :) Still the frame.

Both resolutions will have the frame. Back when Victoria was released, 1024x768 and 1280x1024 WAS full screen. Monitors have gotten much better since then. Attempts were made to hex edit the executable, but, in my experience, they did not work reliably.

@Mr. Capiatlist : Any experience with unknown's hex edit resolution editor?