• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cyrus_The_Great

Generalissimo
9 Badges
Jun 27, 2006
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
Hey so after a pretty long absence from the forums, I came back hoping to delve into some good narrative AARs. Perhaps it is just me, but I was surprised to find far fewer than I remember.

Does anyone have a suggestion for some of the latest narrative AARs which they find particularly well written. (Preferably one that is not too dense and established.)

Thanks!

I for one love Volksmarschall's HOI3 narrative AAR "The Lost U-Boat". It is kind of like a cross between the x-files and the hunt for red october. A thrilling read!

Another exciting HOI3 narrative, although it never got off the ground, was Jonlucero's "L'Big Ball Bombe". It had a dark and gritty vibe that few other AARs have had. Unfortunately it has been a while since it has been last updated.

Anyway those are two AARs that I particularly liked. Check the AARland choice awards for the winners and nominees in the narrative category for more.

Thank you, Legosim!

Also, if you enjoy spy-type stories, I highly recommend an EU II AAR - Stnylan's In Memory of France. Though it is reasonably old, so you might have read it already. It's probably the most masterful AAR I've read on these forums, though Director and Coz1 and CatKnight and Canonized also have good, well-put-together narratives.

TheExecuter has a WW II AAR that's... not dense, but intellectual and thoughtful, called The Last Mission.

It really depends what you're looking for. If you could give some guidance as to what you've liked, here or in general literature, that would help us guide you.

Rensslaer

The epics of Timelies and Rome AArisen are deeply endorsed by this member, although I have a thoroughly soft spot for TreizeV's AARs, especially Je Maintiendrai. The aforementioned AAR inspired me immensely when I began my own explorations in the art of the narrative style.

Look at CK forums,
Roma AARisen, Homelands and etc.
He who searches also finds.

seconded

Those two are very, very good. For narrative AARs CK is King.

Since you're looking for some of the newer 'not so established' stock: Several of the members here already listed some of the most beautiful and underrated AARs here: The Executer's The Last Mission , and Treize's narratives are definitely some of the most enjoyable .

Lament (and encouragement if they're out there reading) go to Eber's narratives including his Scottish one which was one of the gems of the EUIII narrative department . English Patriot's narrative skills he himself underestimates , though he has too much on his plate nowadays , I understand . Capibara also wrote memorable narratives in EUIII whenever he wasn't dazzling readers with fun gameplay AARs . DerKaiser was a prodigy with his interesting characters and lively , believable plot twists at his tender age . Lastly , grayghost had written perhaps one of the best noir dramas I've ever read in his Manchurian Candidate in HOI2 . Lament Lament Lament !

Hey so after a pretty long absence from the forums, I came back hoping to delve into some good narrative AARs. Perhaps it is just me, but I was surprised to find far fewer than I remember.

Does anyone have a suggestion for some of the latest narrative AARs which they find particularly well written. (Preferably one that is not too dense and established.)

Thanks!

I hate to tout my own horn, but Democracy's Last Legs has been pretty popular. I finished Part I back on December 31st, and I've written it in a radio-narrative. It has won 2 HOI II Favorite Narrative Awards. If you are looking for some stuff to read and got time on your hands, come take a look at it. You can also find a link in my sig. Initially it was a MP game, but near the end it became singleplayer. I don't know the time limit to becoming 'established', so I'll let you know mine was just over a year's worth of writing.

Part II will eventually be released, following the production of a mod my and a team are working on based off of the AAR.

I don't follow any Narrative AARs, but TRP has some good gameplay AARs, such as the Channel Pact.

Last edited:
I'd recommend canonized's Timelines. To say it's "established" is an understatement, but if you want something that will grip you and keep you buys for a good couple of weeks just catching up this one's for you!