• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'll start by saying, I'm old. Will there ever be a grand strategy game where you can be a great house, running a fully military campaign with drop ship/jump ship allocation and multi lance, vehicle, elemental, and astro-fighter support? I love this game, HBS has done an incredible job on it. I am just left a little wanting and I'm not familiar with the modding communities role right now. Has HBS made their code mod friendly? I have only heard about crashing and registry wipes for the mods I know about despite how great they seem. Is this kind of out of the realm of the game, say too LogisticTech? I always wanted to run a full combined arms war in the BT universe? I'm wicked naive to think that's an easy request.
-B

This game still is my favourite, but it could have been even greater with continued development.

I wonder why it was dropped so quickly...

At least our great modding community is giving us great stuff such as new FPs and being able to drop more than one lance.

Reactions:
No development? Really? It's a joke isn't it?
No joke. Harebrained Schemes spent three years developing and two years expanding the game, but as per late 2019/early 2020, they have moved on to new projects.

The game still works (and is a lot of fun), and I've seen no indication that Paradox isn't going to continue to sell and support it.

Reactions:
And the game is left with its crippling performance problems.

What a shame.

It's... I know this is old hat, but on three different computers of different builds? It's not meeting these problems. I honestly have been trying to figure out "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" is the deal, but I can't seem to get anywhere with figuring it out. All I know is what's in my signature.

An old Black Friday special prebuilt from almost ten years ago runs on minimum settings and manages to deal with it "mostly okay". Load times are a hassle, but...

Reactions:
ya....paradox shut the game down before it was optimized....
been getting unity crashes since 1.8

Will there ever be a grand strategy game where you can be a great house, running a fully military campaign with drop ship/jump ship allocation and multi lance, vehicle, elemental, and astro-fighter support?

I hear you. I also would have loved to play a BT Grand Strategy Game. Alas, it won`t happen. At least not in my lifetime, as it seems. But, on the other hand, after having waited long years since Mech Commander 2, I finally got a worthy Mech game with random missions and a campaign and a sandbox mode in the Periphery. I`d say, this is not the answer to all prayers, but more than I expected just a few years ago.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I hear you. I also would have loved to play a BT Grand Strategy Game. Alas, it won`t happen. At least not in my lifetime, as it seems. But, on the other hand, after having waited long years since Mech Commander 2, I finally got a worthy Mech game with random missions and a campaign and a sandbox mode in the Periphery. I`d say, this is not the answer to all prayers, but more than I expected just a few years ago.

check out Hyades Rim mod by @Hobbes__
a whole messload of custom flashpoints......mini-campaign....
all in an expanded Periphery with lotsa piratey factions and mechs

Reactions:
I'll start by saying, I'm old. Will there ever be a grand strategy game where you can be a great house, running a fully military campaign with drop ship/jump ship allocation and multi lance, vehicle, elemental, and astro-fighter support? I love this game, HBS has done an incredible job on it. I am just left a little wanting and I'm not familiar with the modding communities role right now. Has HBS made their code mod friendly? I have only heard about crashing and registry wipes for the mods I know about despite how great they seem. Is this kind of out of the realm of the game, say too LogisticTech? I always wanted to run a full combined arms war in the BT universe? I'm wicked naive to think that's an easy request.
-B

It is unlikely we will do a grand strategy game with the IP even though it would be a wonderful combination. Maybe one those of those studios MS acquired will give us more BT games in the future.

• 3Like
Reactions:
It's very sad. I waited 20 years for a proper turn based strategy in BT universe. Also it was a success, and honestly it still isn't what it should be. There should absolutely be sequel. Mods are awesome, but still restricted by engine which cause all the added content literally crawling.

Oh well, back to seeing more action crap games from Battletech. I apparently won't see next strategy since i most likely be dead in next 20 years.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I had the pleasure of jumping onto this HBS BATTLETECH bandwagon a lot later than most, and then a week later the parade was over. I'm not entirely in agreement with a lot of the design decisions and metagame elements that have been added to the original TT game, but in spite of the long loading times and funky additions to game mechanics, it's still a lot better than the old Mechwarrior and MechCommander games.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye out to see what HBS decides to do in the future, after they clear their plate of the other projects they're working on, but I hope that it allows for larger forces on the map, and more strategic elements instead of generating random forces on the fly. I know that a "Succession Wars" GSG is probably out of the question, but I'd like to see at least some elements of a persistent OPFOR for individual campaigns, damaged units fleeing and coming back after repairs, and perhaps even the possibility of a few disputed border planets changing hands, more due to the actions of the Great Houses than the player, but with the actions of the player being able to tip the balance in some close cases (not all).

The announcement itself wasn't so much of a surprise, but the timing was a bit unexpected.

• 4Like
Reactions: