• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Or Shadowrun, for that matter. ;)

And I'm genuinely interested in whatever else HBS has up its sleeves now, seeing how much their capabilities have grown since SR:Returns.

Say... are we sure the two upcoming projects are both computer games? After Golem Arcana, I wouldn't mind if they took another crack at board gaming...
You know... this opens the door to a HBS board game “Take” on Crimson Skies.

When HBS denied they were working on a Crimson Skies Computer game... well if it is a Crimson Skies board game they have in the works them HBS and Mitch were technically correct!

And Team Paradox loves their Board Games:

FC40D6FA-A5A7-46D9-8FA4-AFE91EF566B6.jpeg

Even better, let’s hear from Paradox their-self:

Marrying one’s horse!

Seriously... ?

Now if that had been my BATTLETECH SLDF Highlander! #allBetsRoff

more like...after years of putting out great games that were more or less faithful to lore MS took it from the PC to the console and made something that is barely IMHO recognizable as battletech.

and when that didnt do as well they wanted they threw in the towel since at that time they had turned their back on PCs

Exactly because they had NO clue what was best for the IP and still don't.

Exactly because they had NO clue what was best for the IP and still don't.
Microsoft has the deep pockets and IP Rights needed to take BattleTech to not just the next level but a few more levels beyond that.

Because Microsoft was business savvy enough to entrust portions of the BattleTech IP with CGL, PGI and at least for a time, HBS, we have the glorious Big and Stompy Renaissance that we are currently enjoying. : )

We don’t need Microsoft to trap the reigns in both hands and assume command of the BattleTech Ship...

...all I believe we need is for Microsoft to continue finding and entrusting those #GoodShepards of the IP. And this moment of pause for HBS may indeed be a prelude to Microsoft making yet another prescient decision and choice of how best to move BattleTech forward with Good and Conscientious Stewardship of our gaming IP. :bow:

Greetings MechWarriors,

A few points of order:
1) Microsoft doesn't have the tabletop IP rights. That is Topps which licenses those rights to InMedia Res with Catalyst Game Labs as the imprint (trade name).
2) More relevant to this bit off-topic information is that we do not have any significant public information on the licensing deal between MS and HBS, nor have we been given the reasoning behind why HBS have decided to not make another BattleTech Universe themed game at this time.

3) This thread is a sendoff to a game we have all enjoyed. A game where after almost two years of post release extended development HBS has deemed development is complete, and has decided to move on to new projects that hopefully many of us will enjoy in the future upon release.

So please, as of this post, let us drop the licensing discussion as it's not really relevant.

Thank you
Timaeus

I really don't think there's anything behind the move to other titles beyond the fact that expansions can't sell as well as original titles... since you have to have the original to buy the expansion. As a game company, they haven't put out a new title for a while and it's time to get on that.

Though I, for one, can guarantee I won't be as interested in any new titles as I would have been for new expansions to BattleTech. Perhaps it's time for me to get proactive about that and dig into the details of DLL mods despite my distaste for C# coding.

Regardless, many thanks to HBS for the excellent framework they've given us and especially the permission to mod away...

i wouldnt be so harsh.. im personally quite intrigued to see what HBS comes up with next... they have quite a good eye for a game, be it Shadowrun or Battletech..
If you're talking about my comment that I won't be as interested in what comes next, it's not in any way intended to be harsh. Simply a recognition that BattleTech is quite probably the one video game I've spent the most time on in my entire life. (Playing, modding, talking about it on the forums... the whole ball of wax.) It simply isn't realistic to expect another game to match that, regardless of how highly I respect the company making it.

Oh, and there are very few video games that I play at all. Less than half a dozen that I've played consistently, I'd say... over how many thousands that exist? Several more that I occasionally play for a week or two, but still... there are entire genres that I have absolutely zero interest in.

Last edited:
I'm with @ronhatch

BT and the Combat Mission series of games (finest tactical wargames ever from 1999 to the present) are the only two games I have time for and care about, so nothing else HBS does will hold any interest for me.

Once the last update is out - due for another playthrough.

I didn't come from a mech fan background (although I did rack up some time in MechWarrior 2 back in the day), so ignored the kickstarter for this (huge mistake), after picking it up after release it sucked weeks out of me playing. It's not just the tactical gameplay and management lite that is outstanding, but fantastic characters and player agency in the universe.

Definitely in my top 10 games for the last decade, and whilst I'd love to see you return and explore the universe in much the same way again, excited to see what you do next, this time I won't be ignoring any kickstarters....

@ronhatch and @Eximar, I can and do respect that. :bow:

Though I hope HBS spends the next 2, 3, 4 or more years trying their hardest to convince you differently...

...before I would be willing to bet, Team HBS returns for BATTLETECH 2 with more employees, more turn-based gaming experience and more Successes notched onto its Game Development Record:

There is not much new under a Harebrained Sun.

Team HBS has been building games, telling stories and doing right by IPs and their fan bases ever since they were founded in 2011.

It was never really in the card for HBS to stick with a single game, even one as weighty, Big and Stompy as BATTLETECH.

It just ain’t in their DFA.

:bow:

thats all well and good @Prussian Havoc but im still just a spoilt lil'kid at heart and i want moar battletech!
7c3a66ffc0b038442a1be55907ff85c4.gif

thats all well and good @Prussian Havoc but im still just a spoilt lil'kid at heart and i want moar battletech!
7c3a66ffc0b038442a1be55907ff85c4.gif
I’m old... but not so old that I won’t see the next great BattleTech computer game be developed.

And I am still willing to bet that it will be HBS who does so in 3, 4, 5 or more years down the road. :bow:

But I get your point Good @unclecid, I wantz MOAR Big and Stompy too! : )

@ronhatch and @Eximar, I can and do respect that. :bow:

Though I hope HBS spends the next 2, 3, 4 or more years trying their hardest to convince you differently...

...before I would be willing to bet, Team HBS returns for BATTLETECH 2 with more employees, more turn-based gaming experience and more Successes notched onto its Game Development Record:

There is not much new under a Harebrained Sun.

Team HBS has been building games, telling stories and doing right by IPs and their fan bases ever since they were founded in 2011.

It was never really in the card for HBS to stick with a single game, even one as weighty, Big and Stompy as BATTLETECH.

It just ain’t in their DFA.

:bow:

Following your reasoning/hopes, if you were a Shadowrun fan posting like this in 2015 wouldn’t you be due for another game about now?

Following your reasoning/hopes, if you were a Shadowrun fan posting like this in 2015 wouldn’t you be due for another game about now?
No. Shadowrun is a great game, but it does not have the financials of BattleTech.

You disagree?

Mmm...Disagree. but that doesn't matter because HBS has already said they don't have plans for a Shadowrun game.
No plans, ‘tis true.

If they do another Battletech based game soon, I would love to see a grand strategy game. Think Hearts of Iron but done in the BT universe. You take control of a great, or minor House. You control the Research, production, troop and ship movements, employee spies and diplomacy. See if you can take your house all the way to becoming First Lord or a new Star League. Maybe even allow you to play Comstar. A later expansion could add the clans letting you try to become Ilkhan.

With Paradox's experience with this kind of game and HBS passion for BT, this would be amazing.

Interesting. Just today I thought, for some reason, about BattleTech and whether there are news concerning the future. As it seems, the news are unfortunate. Although I would have loved to see BattleTech 2 and am a bit sad that it will not materialize, I am grateful that I once more delved more or less deep into BattleTech lore. Something I enjoyed a lot when I was young.

So, many thanks to HBS for making me get into the cockpit of my own Mechs once more and roam the Periphery for fame and fortune. And inspire me to write two AAR. I wish you all the best for the future.