• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Spartakus

I'm Spartakus
53 Badges
Feb 22, 2018
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings III
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines
I noticed in the latest preview video that a bug from the beta carried over into whatever version was used in there.
I'm talking about the to-hit percentages displayed in the paper doll when you do a called shot:
upload_2018-3-15_20-37-16.png

upload_2018-3-15_20-38-4.png

upload_2018-3-15_20-38-26.png

As you can see in those images, the numbers in the display change when you mouse over, but the sum of them is always 76%. Not 100%. Now I believe there are some rounding errors, and they really add up to 75% which is the overall to-hit chance of the selected AC/10.
So the numbers displayed are the combined to hit chances for the mech and the location. I.e. the actual chance to hit that location.
I just had a discord dicussion with @Amechwarrior about this and while we believe this might be the reason for some test with the system giving odd results we agreed on that this is pretty unintuitive.

The numbers should display the to-hit propability for a location under the condition that you hit the mech in the first place.

If you think you prefer it that way, because in a way the numbers are correct, please answer the following question: What number should be displayed when you have weapons with different to-hit propabilities (like SRMs and LRMs) selected? An average? Is that really helping you make an informed decision about what weapons you should fire?

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-15_20-35-43.png
    upload_2018-3-15_20-35-43.png
    1,1 MB · Views: 12
Upvote 0
I think the way they display it makes perfect sense the way it is. It directly tells you what your odds of hitting a certain part is. If it added up to 100 someone could misinterpret it. He sees the called shot at the center torso has a displayed hit probability of 40/100 and keeps firing, round after round missing
it because the actual shot has only a hit chance of 10%. If displayed as shown he would directly see a 4% chance on the CT. Works for me.

I think the way they display it makes perfect sense the way it is. It directly tells you what your odds of hitting a certain part is. If it added up to 100 someone could misinterpret it. He sees the called shot at the center torso has a displayed hit probability of 40/100 and keeps firing, round after round missing
it because the actual shot has only a hit chance of 10%. If displayed as shown he would directly see a 4% chance on the CT. Works for me.
OK, but what if you're shooting with both a weapon with 10% to-hit and one with 50% to-hit?

Maybe, the overall chance to hit with any of the rounds fired. Or in your example, the second weapon will still hit on 50% whether or not the first weapon hits.
Personally, I would like to know the actual chance to hit, rather than an abstracted number that assumes the shot does hit.

OK, but what if you're shooting with both a weapon with 10% to-hit and one with 50% to-hit?
Well, clearly it should show the chance of ANY hit... so use a 55% base to-hit chance and then adjust by the location odds. ;)

More seriously, I think my preference would be to show both percentages. With the odds after assuming a hit being more prominently displayed... largely since that's simply what I would expect the percentage to be if only one was shown. Having multiple weapons firing with different odds is FAR too common for me to think averaging them to get the only percentage shown is a good idea.

I never caught this nuance during the Beta. Now that I understand the rationale, I am fine with it.