• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
National Doctrine

Has anyone mentioned the ideal of a Canadian national doctrine? The Canadian army did have a reputation of being the "shock troops of the British Empire". The Canadian troops did extremely well when they were outnumbered and I'm not sure that the game really illustrates that. I believe they need a national doctrine entitled "Shock Troops of the British Empire" or "At Britain's Side" which grants infantry, motorized and armoured divisions bonus org, perhaps defense mods and improved fort attack. Something to grant the Canadians something in the game to more closely represent their historic role in combat. They fought extremely well for only having 5 divisions.

Crazyhorse said:
300 tons??? That seems a bit much IMHO.

The 6th Army in Stalingrad needed minimal 350 tons of supplies to keep alive while they were surrounded. 700 tons were preffered for the 6th Army. (Just read it in Anthony Beevor's - Stalingrad)

And the 6th Army was a lot bigger then a allied armour division.

It seems to me that the 300 tons number is incorrect.

I don't think the numbers wee really that different for an Allied or an german division. Perhaps the German divisions did not receive as much as they wanted and a Allied division did. Taking in mind that in Germany supplies were a bit of a problem.

I did a little checking - see http://www.fatherryan.org/blackmilitary/redball.htm for a comment saying it was actually 700 tons / division !

Either way, it is readily apparent that there was a severe supply problem for the Allies in late 1944 on the advance towards the Rhine, something I am not sure is fully represented in HoI / CORE. Seems to me the US divisions (at least) need some kind of extra (heavily extra ? ) supply cost, though possibly also some kind of movement boost to represent all the trucks and jeeps, etc.

Any thoughts ? Tim

Malch said:
Has anyone mentioned the ideal of a Canadian national doctrine? The Canadian army did have a reputation of being the "shock troops of the British Empire". The Canadian troops did extremely well when they were outnumbered and I'm not sure that the game really illustrates that. I believe they need a national doctrine entitled "Shock Troops of the British Empire" or "At Britain's Side" which grants infantry, motorized and armoured divisions bonus org, perhaps defense mods and improved fort attack. Something to grant the Canadians something in the game to more closely represent their historic role in combat. They fought extremely well for only having 5 divisions.

Only major nations get those docterines. :)

If you give one other nation a national docterine you have to give all the nations one resulting in another 80 extra techs in the techtree. :)

Personally I would also like a special docterine for the Netherlands......... ;)

Well, Australia will need a special doctrine, to represent the stormtroopers fighting the Italians in 1940/41. Finland needs one too, to represent their skis. The Afghanis need one to represent their partisans, the Lithuanians have that plucky nature to be abstracted and quantified, etc etc etc...now that's why doctrines are for major nations only! :)

US Supply Requirements

HistoryMan:
Either way, it is readily apparent that there was a severe supply problem for the Allies in late 1944 on the advance towards the Rhine, something I am not sure is fully represented in HoI / CORE. Seems to me the US divisions (at least) need some kind of extra (heavily extra ? ) supply cost, though possibly also some kind of movement boost to represent all the trucks and jeeps, etc.

By 1944 even US Marine divisions had 2000 trucks in the TO&E. Late war, most US infantry divisions had a battalion of tanks, plus recon battalion that included a company of light tanks, and an anti-tank battalion that included a couple companies of turreted tank destroyers. Essentially, most US infantry divisions had more AFVs than the contemporary German panzer divisions (which were typically understrength).

I've been tinkering with a doctrine to represent that (the triggers depend on getting pretty deep into the land tech tree) and keep it from firing until 1943 or 1944. It bumps up the hard/soft attack, defense, and mobility of infantry/motorized/marine divisions with the penalty of increasing supply and fuel consumption. It would be a (U) style doctrine so the player has to spend some IC to make this happen. There's clearly an issue with balance and consideration on whether it should be US exclusive or not. From a logistical perspective, it would favor a country that is resource rich and manpower poor so clearly the US and UK are the most likely to benefit.

The posts above about a Canadian doctrimne reminded me of a thought I had a while back - not a Canadian doctrine, but perhaps a "Commonwealth" one - for Can, SA, NZ, Aus, and maybe even Indian troops, if they were implemented as a puppet nation, perhaps.

My thought for it would basically give them a slight bonus (5% or so) in what you might call rural conditions, to represent the fact that the vast majority of these troops come from the countryside (rural hicks, as some might have said at the time). Alternatively, you might do a "Southern Hemisphere" doctrine, giving (say) NZ, Aus & SA troops a bonus in desert type terrain.

Just thoughts, not really high priority stuff. Tim

Improved Armored Cars, a level 4 armor tech requires Advanced Engines, a level 6 armor tech. Shouldn't Improved Armored Cars be moved two levels up the tree into the level 6 techs, since it has a level-6 dependency in the same tree? (Same goes for any other techs with dependencies higher up in their same trees.)

tech probs

direction finding station
?
its crap or for future use? see only effeckts on upgrade but nothing you need it for ?!?
or is it event triggerin like televison? (not seen the event but it says so)

heavy and light armoured car ?
whats the difference ?
light ad 0 to soft attack
heavy ad 0 to soft & hard ?!?!

maybe better to change it to inf speed
light + 2 speed + 1 defence
heavy +1 speed + 2 defence
and reducing the start speed of infantrie by 2 or 1?

Eisbaer said:
direction finding station
?
its crap or for future use? see only effeckts on upgrade but nothing you need it for ?!?
or is it event triggerin like televison? (not seen the event but it says so)

It''s the first event in the electronics tree so every nations will have it. Who cares if it does nothing? :D I think that it is perhaps a nice techtree filler.... :)

Eisbaer said:
heavy and light armoured car ?
whats the difference ?
light ad 0 to soft attack
heavy ad 0 to soft & hard ?!?!

the value is 0.5 only it is displayed as 0 in the game.

Crazyhorse said:
the value is 0.5 only it is displayed as 0 in the game.
As stated in the FAQ that everyone should have read. :)

Diego EV said:
There is any way to improve minor countries research rate? Most of them in 1946 have more or less the same military tech than in 1936... Not really realistic. Could this be modified?
Because research is IC-based some countries will find it largely impossible to progress up the tech tree and must rely on tech sharing from alliance partners. FWIW all countries already get an R&D bonus relative to their IC (less IC -> more bonus) in C.O.R.E.

where`s the königstiger

after playing vanilla HOI a while I just tried C.O.R.E.
I know there are changes in the tech-tree, but after a while I was wondering where the german advanced medium and heavy tanks, like the königstiger. maus and others, are. I can't find them anywhere in the C.O.R.E. techtree. Where are them or why did you remove them? Are there more units wich are removed?

btw: if they are removed, there can't be a good reason for.

They are removed because these were orginized in small brigades that supported divisions of earlier models. They were simply not numerous enough to qualify for beeing an unit.

but the only reason for this is that germanys war machinery was finished. where, when not in an alternate history mod, it would just be consequent if it is possible to build divisions of them. Also it was like achiving small targets to get the units and throw them on battlefield and be pleased like a child with new toy. I am missing this.

But discussion seems to be futile, dont think there will be someone who does a changed C.O.R.E. just for me, so I'll do this myself by coping parts of the original techtree and units files. Someone plz tell me If this is possible or better if its impossible cause there too many affected and I would spend months searching for everything.

A list of the affected files or else information I should know by someone who has expirience with C.O.R.E. and modding is very welcome.

P.S.: I just read that there should`t be new threads in C.O.R.E. forum, so someone plz move it where its welcome.
thx much

If you look closely at the tech tree you'll see that they're still there but in a different form. They're in the heavy tank research branch but they're only modification's or "upgrades" to existing units and not whole "buildable" divisions.

t_surge_j said:
but the only reason for this is that germanys war machinery was finished. where, when not in an alternate history mod, it would just be consequent if it is possible to build divisions of them.

This reasoning has a serious hole - that not only Germany built battalions of heavy tanks. The Russians also did - the KV and IS series - and while they could have arranged them in divisions they never did. The USA toyed with superheavies, thinking they would be needed to breach the Westwall, and planned to build about 30 before the program was cancelled. They had the IC to build whole divisions of them, but no-one took this at all seriously. Heavy tanks were only a supporting weapon to the medium tanks - Shermans, PzIVs, Panthers, T-34s, etc - and they would not have been much better than a division of medium tanks while having many serious disadvantages. Divisions of WW2 heavy and superheavy tanks do not belong in this game or any other.

CyberMajestic said:
I don't know if this is WAD or not but the Self Propelled Anti Air 40 & 50mm+ units do not have a combat modifier while the 30mm+ does.

Doesn't seem right to me.

Check the tech files. They probably have a modifier of less than 1, like 0.5, which shows up in screen as 0.