• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Belgian events are there for two main reasons:

1) Historically Belgiam did surrender but the Belgian Congo refused to comply with King Leopold's request and fought on with the British.

2) The Belgian AI after all their provinces have been taken run to France and stay there when Vichy is created, messing up the Vichy French chain of events and giving the allies bizzare beachheads in Southern and Northern France

I can see the logic of why those things were done - it just seems to me that in a way it has gone too far in the other direction - ie it is now virtually impossible to annex Belgium or the Netherlands without getting involved in strange far away battles as Germany, since (alas) the Japanese AI is rarely good enough (it seems to me) to capture the Dutch East Indies (unlike History), and the Belgian Congo is never threatened by the Italians (very historical ! lol)

If 106b now secedes the European provinces, then in fact, my suggestion kinda makes more sense, since you would now be able to annex the European nations, yet the overseas colonies would still remain "free" and (one assumes) Allied. Puppeting might be a bit weird though, since I am not sure what happens if you puppet a puppetmaster, if you see what I mean. To me, it just seemed a "neat" solution to a problem I have encountered before.

Incidentally, how come we treat the German occupation of Bohemia & Moravia as annexation (even though it wasn't technically such - there was actually a "Czech Protectorate" army of sorts (eventually ended up as Labour battalions in Italy, I believe)) yet we don't do the same for Holland / Belgium ? We have occupation policy events for them, but not for the Czechs, yet (arguably) the Czechs had a more active resistance in many ways. If Bohemia & Moravia, and the General Gouvernement of Poland are deemed to be "German" territory for the game, I would have said the same would be true of Belgium, Holland and Denmark (though you can easily annex Denmark, so that kinda works anyway) - I'll take your word for it on the new 106b AI events (as I havent yet played a 106b game) for the European territories - presumbably that does muchly the same thing as annexation - the territories become German Owned ?

Tim

Tim

Have you played 0.83 yet? Because Germany can now annex Belgium much more easily now since the Belgian Congo usually either goes to the UK or France. And I've seen the Japanese AI several times take (or at least land successfully) in the Dutch East Indes.

Your comparison with Czechoslovakia is incorrect as well, especially with the curret game mechanics. Countries cannot peacfully 'occupy' provinces in HoI, especially if those countries don't exist anymore. The Germans and Hungarians can't occupy Czech territory because 'occupation' would insinuate that there was another goverment that the territory was taken from, and I'm sure Tiso would never make such a claim and unlike Belgium, Denmark, Norway, France, and Poland there was no government in exile for the Czechs

No - not played 0.83 either yet - still finishing up my last 0.82 Game.. USSR doesnt seem to want to give me the Bitter Peace, even though I have Leningrad, Stalingrad, Moscow, Magnitogorsk,and the Japs have Vladivostok, too. BLR, UKR, and the Caucasian republics have all formed. (Comintern Score on the Victory screen is now 6, btw)

I had heard there is a new "Belgian annexation" event in 0.83 - am looking forward to trying it. In part, that news actually set off my train of thought - wondering if there was a way other than event to handle the situation, and do something similar for the Netherlands, perhaps.

Tim

No, there will not be an event for the Netherlands like the one for Belgium. Also The Bitter Peace is 5% every month (If I remember correctly) so don't get your hopes up.

Mate ( I mean History Man), u need Baku for the Bitter Peace to fire, in CORE. I found that it out, 5 test games (3 GER, 1 ROM, 1 ITA).

Other than that just manually fire it (if u really want it), or just go for those las 6; only Irkutsk will be hard to reach (N. of Mongolia).

Last edited:
DF123 said:
Mate ( I mean History Man), u need Baku for the Bitter Peace to fire, in CORE. I found that it out, 5 test games (3 GER, 1 ROM, 1 ITA).

Other than that just manually fire it (if u really want it), or just go for those las 6; only Irkutsk will be hard to reach (N. of Mongolia).

Heh - thanks for the commentary - I had Baku, but it is now part of Azerbaijan, of course. I took Irkutsk, Comintern was done to 1 Score, but I still couldn't annex or puppet, and Russia hadn't yet been created. Anyway, the game ended in 1948 with the Axis on 816, Allies 150 or so, Comintern 1. So.. on to 0.83 and time to see the new Belgian event in action.

Tim

Semi-Lobster said:
The Germans and Hungarians can't occupy Czech territory because 'occupation' would insinuate that there was another goverment that the territory was taken from, and I'm sure Tiso would never make such a claim and unlike Belgium, Denmark, Norway, France, and Poland there was no government in exile for the Czechs
As a side note: you are wrong here. There was a London-based government of Czechoslovakia in exile. It was led by Jan Sramek with Edvard Beneš as a provisional president.
Cheers

Halibutt said:
As a side note: you are wrong here. There was a London-based government of Czechoslovakia in exile. It was led by Jan Sramek with Edvard Beneš as a provisional president.
Cheers

D'oh! :eek:o

Looks like I was wrong! :) I knew what I was saying seemed a bit odd! There's always a government-in-exile!

Been playing as France with the .83 mod and just a few questions. Why does France suddenly get a 20% dissent penalty starting in early May. It seems rather harsh. This affects french combat profiency which stacks on top of the negative tech events and all but assures an aggressive German player victory. I'd say something more like 10 percent would be more accurate.

Secondly, the German ai is way too timid with even level 3 forts and 12+ stacks. It basically won't even attempt to attack them. How do we scale this down? I was getting steam rolled partly for the aforementioned reasons, then the ai just stopped because of the forts. Realy was a downer, and simply just didn't feel right.

The dissent modifier is an AI crutch to guide the game towards a historical outcome. Without it it's way too easy to stop Germany cold and it seriously ruins the game if Germany fails in France in 1939-1940.

There is an AI parameter for forts, however it's a double-edged sword. If you tweak it one way the AI goes chicken as soon as he comes up against forts, change it slightly the other way and you get a suicidal AI that hammers away at a fort line until it's lost all of it's divisions and manpower. What's lacking is of course the 'learning' bit which tells the AI to stop attacking if it's getting suckered into bad fights, but there's no real way of doing that.

Strange event series

I am not sure, if this is WAD. I had as ENG those events

January 2, 1940 Industry expansion (event 272241)
January 2, 1940 Industry expansion (event 272239)
January 3, 1940 Industry expansion (event 272240)
January 3, 1940 Industry expansion (event 272242)
January 3, 1940 Industry expansion (event 272236)
January 3, 1940 Industry expansion (event 272238)

after that series London had 49 IC. Is this all intended, or is something firing too often? I always chose "Home Isles" and could see, that e.g. in 1939 action_a ("Home Isles") should sleep event 272236 and 272238. :confused:

Last edited:
A suggestion

Iv'e noticed that there is no way to play Nationalist Spain in CORE, untill the 39 scenario comes out. So its IMHO that Ceuta should be Nationalist Spain untill the nationalist revolt breaks out. Also I feel the way the Spanish Civil War works out now is horrible. Unless I send troops to both sides, I've never saw it last longer than mid-38, which is historically inaccurate. Also there should be a way so that Italy contributes troops as it did historically, Italy sent more troops than Germany did, so their contribution was bigger. I don't remember when, but even Franco admitted that without the Italian help he would have lost the war. Also it should not be untill Germany and Italy agree to help that the Nationalist start sending troops from Ceuta to mainland Spain, which is alos historically accurate. Now that does not mean the mainland territories don't become Nationalist, it should just be that wherever they gain control it should be one division of infantry of militia, and it's not untill the Army of Africa enters Spain, that they gain more divisions in this area. Both sides should start out with almost no troops as well. As it was not untill October 1936 that the Republicans even organized their army effectively. I did like the Basque and Catalonian Independece events alot, as well as the Morrocco one, which for some reason, I've only had happen once. And when it did happen, Nationalist Spain, even after defeating Republican Spain made no attempt to get it back, is this becasue of Girbralter being in the way, if so, the AI should be redone. So if Morrocco declares independence, the Nationalists try to gain it back at all costs, and not just sit there. Also there should be some event for the Balaeric Islands where, in my redone Italian intervention plan, where Italy either decides to keep them or return them to Nationalist Spain. This happened somewhat historically, as Mussolini had thoughts of "borrowing" these islands from Spain, to gain a base of operations in the Western Mediterranean. And those are just my 2 cents on the whole matter.

Believe, obey, fight!-Benito Mussolini
The role of a citizen and soldier are inseperable-Benito Mussolini
Kill one, you're a murderer, kill a million, you're a conqerer-Dont Know

SpratleyDuce said:
Iv'e noticed that there is no way to play Nationalist Spain in CORE, untill the 39 scenario comes out.
You can start the 36 scen as e.g. Nicaragua, when SCW starts, save the game, surrender, return to main menu, select your saved Nicaragua game, right click on the Flag of Nicaragua, then a list box opens, choose Nat. Spain, load the game. This way you can play Nat. Spain from the beginning of SCW. ;)

I'm pretty sure this is the wrong thread but I couldn't find the right one for Italy. :eek:o There is a core event 462079 - Invasion of Greece (by Copper Nicus, modified by JRaup), which leads to an unwanted war in the game I'm playing. Any way I could disable this event in the save file?

cthulhu said:
I'm pretty sure this is the wrong thread but I couldn't find the right one for Italy. :eek:o There is a core event 462079 - Invasion of Greece (by Copper Nicus, modified by JRaup), which leads to an unwanted war in the game I'm playing. Any way I could disable this event in the save file?

if the war has not startet yet you can add the event in the sleepevent section and it wont fire.

if the war is already there you will have to edit it out in the different "war =" sections in the save.

Have fun

Ghost_dk

After that Allied Forces liberate Begium provinces from Axis troops, Belgium can't be a free country, and why This territories goes to France :confused:

After Paris is liberate, why capital of France isn't move to Paris.

I Played With Italy, Germany have occupied all France European Terriories and make Vichy France, With Italy troops I occupied only one France's Africa Province (Capital-Algiers) and after this I Can make puppet nation on France. :confused: Why France move next capitals to Sahara :eek: , but not in Cayenne, Dakar or Casablanka.

Ghost_dk said:
if the war has not startet yet you can add the event in the sleepevent section and it wont fire.

if the war is already there you will have to edit it out in the different "war =" sections in the save.

Have fun

Ghost_dk

Thanks for answering. :) I have a save before the event fires. What event fires this, I have searched for 462079 in the safe file, but nothing. Any ideas? and if I find, do I just delete it? I have tried to edit the event itself, but it doesn't work.

cthulhu said:
Thanks for answering. :) I have a save before the event fires. What event fires this, I have searched for 462079 in the safe file, but nothing. Any ideas? and if I find, do I just delete it? I have tried to edit the event itself, but it doesn't work.

well if you open your safe in notepad(the one where it has not fired yet) and do a search on sleepevent you will find a section that looks like this

sleepevent = { XXX XXXXX XXXXXX }

Where the XXX are event numbers that have been slept. (are not checked for by the game)

If you write in 462079 the event will no longer fire.

Ghost_dk