• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vulture

Aerandir Eärfalas
42 Badges
Mar 20, 2001
www.europa-universalis.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 200k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
C.O.R.E HOI - Iberian Peninsula

Please use this thread for discussing and scripting events for Repiblican Spain, Nationalist Spain & Portugal

C.O.R.E HOI - Western Europe (France, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxemburg)

Please use this thread for discussing and scripting events for France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxemburg and Switzerland

I am working on the Naval OOBs for 36 atm. Right now Im doing France and I need to know how to script an event that pulls the battleship "Ocean" out of the game or have a 2nd possiblity that lets the ship be refitted/rebuilt and puts it into the builds pool.

Can anyone give me a hand with this??

Largus

New modder eager to contribute to CORE project

I'm new to HoI and the forums, but I'm very impressed with the game and its potential for improvement, as well as the enthusiasm of the modding community. Thanks in large part to the work of Bolt and Trip, and the excellent modding resources on Havard's website, I've been inspired to make my own humble attempt at modding.

For the last week I've been working on a Spanish Civil War mod, including many events for both Republican and Nationalist Spain as well as the major powers that supported one side or the other. Seeing as no one has yet volunteered to work on Western Europe for the CORE mod, I would like to offer my services to help with events for Spain and Portugal (and events for other nations relating to the Spanish Civil War).

So far I've completed about 50 events and have many more in the works, as well as some changes to ministers and leaders. My goals for the SCW mod:
- make it more enjoyable to play either Republican or Nationalist Spain
- get the major powers more involved both diplomatically and militarily (instead of just making the initial choice to send aid or not, and watching the Spanish fight it out).
- give Republican Spain several potential government outcomes based on decisions made before and during the war. Do you try to keep the republic in tact in hopes of gaining support from the UK and France? Sell out to the Soviets and become a Stalinist puppet state? Or forsake all foreign support to pursue the social revolution advocated by the anarcho-syndicalists?
- set the stage for the World War based on the events of the Spanish Civil War. Not only whether Spain will end up neutral, Axis or Allied, but whether the major powers will build alliances or go to war with eachother to protect their interests in Spain.

A few examples of events I've been working on:

- Feb '36 Elections - the hardcoded election event happens after the war has begun instead of before as historically happened, your choice of government can accelerate or delay the outbreak of civil war

- increasing civil unrest and violence- dissent cripples the republic. Responses by the goverment could delay or accelerate the outbreak of civil war

- choice of governments for Rep. Spain- the Republic had 6 different Prime Ministers between Feb 36 and May 37, all these changes are included with additional ahistorical choices.

- death of ministers and leaders like Sotelo (assasinated in retaliation for the killing of a police officer by fascist militias) Sanjurjo and Mola (died in plane crashes, some argue they were not accidental but orchestrated by Franco)

- last-minute negotiations- small possibility to avoid civil war by compromise, or prepare for it in advance by giving arms to the workers

- Non-Intervention agreement- UK and France try to avoid the spread of war (UK/FRA gain influence by getting majors to sign on, GER/ITA can lower the war entry of UK/FRA by signing the agreement)

- multiple chances for UK, France, USSR, Germany, Italy and Portugal to send aid to Spanish factions.

- UK/France respond to violations of Non-Intervention pact (risk war with Germany/Italy or lose influence by ignoring violations)

- ComIntern organizes foreign volunteers into International Brigades (free militia units for Rep. Spain)

- transfer of Spanish gold reserves to USSR to pay for military aid (lowers influence/IC of Rep. Spain in return for supplies, oil, tanks and planes)

- Moroccan Nationalists offer to fight Franco in return for independence (Rep. Spain can offer Morocco to France in return for aid, or support revolt in Morocco at the risk of seriously angering the French. revolt may even spread into French North Africa)

- May Days in Barcelona- fighting between communists and anarchists forces the government to take sides

and many more to come...

Opinions? Suggestions?

I forgot to mention, I would love to get feedback from the community on possible Spanish Civil War events. I welcome any suggestions regarding historical events, alternate history possibilities, historical accuracy (how many units to send as aid, how much to raise/lower dissent for political decisions, etc.) as well as game balance issues.

I'm moving to a new apartment this week and will be without internet service for a few days, but I will try to make the work I've done so far available for download sometime next week for testing/feedback from the community.

By the way mods, the link for Spain/Portugal in the meta thread is broken since that thread was merged into the Western Europe thread.

Welcome to the team, looks like a lot of good ideas. I think the SCW is one of the parts of the game that's had a lot of balancing done so the main challenge here might be to retain that balance. Will you be removing the existing foreign intervention events?

What I've done is to create new versions of the existing Civil War and intervention events, and use the first non-conditional event (the February Elections which occur no matter what) to put to sleep the events I've replaced. I did this to make the mod as easy as possible to install, without needing to comment out existing events. Some files do need to be replaced though, namely minister and leader files for SPR and SPA, and revolt.txt (for the Moroccan independence event).

There are still initial intervention events that occur right after the outbreak of civil war, but I reduced the number of supplies and units sent. These are now spread out over multiple events over the next few months. For example, Germany now sends only 500 supplies and 1 air transport division initially. (Historically this was to help carry Franco's army stranded in Morocco to mainland Spain, but I'm not sure it's needed in HoI since the Nationalists always seem to end up with at least one naval transport when units are randomly split up by the civil_war command) .

USSR initial intervention now sends only supplies and no units (but it triggers the International Brigades event which gives militias), France now defaults to intervene initially but sends only a few supplies and 1 fighter unit.

The Non-Intervention Policy events in early August give the UK a chance to persuade France to end aid to Rep. Spain. If France agrees then all major nations are given the option to sign the Non-Intervention agreement. For each major nation that agrees to sign, that nation gets +1 DI and UK and France each get +1 DI. War entry for UK and France is reduced if Germany or Italy sign the agreement, or if USSR refuses to sign.

If Germany and Italy choose to intervene initially, they get another event in late August with the option to send additional aid. This sends more supplies, a small amount of manpower and additional units (Germany sends divebombers, Italy sends fighters). If either nation has accepted non-intervention but chooses to send aid anyway, UK and FRA lose influence. I'm also considering disguising the names of these events so it's not immediately obvious that they have just violated the agreement less than a month after signing it.

In November GER and ITA get another event asking if they want to officially recognize Franco's government and send additional aid. Choosing yes will send additional supplies, oil, and the first ground forces (armor from Germany, infantry+artillery from Italy). Nat. Spain also gets a small bonus to diplomatic influence for being officially recognized.

The USSR does not have the option to send units until early October. If they have accepted the Non-Intervention agreement, it must first be violated by Germany or Italy before the Soviets have the option of sending units. If Rep. Spain agrees to send their gold reserves to USSR in October, they get a large amount of supplies, some oil and manpower and 2 armor, 1 fighter and 1 divebomber (I may change this to spread the units out in multiple installments). The costs are heavy for Spain, they shift toward communism and lose a significant amount of DI and IC (to reflect devaluation of currency from loss of gold reserves). This event also triggers a chain of events reflecting Stalinist attempts to crush the anarchist and 'Trotskyist' factions, culminating in the May Days in Barcelona. Once the choice to sell out to Stalin is made, it will be difficult to prevent the Soviet-friendly Negrin government from taking power.

I hope to hear from members of the community on exactly how many units and supplies are appropriate to give to Spain, both from the historical standpoint and that of gameplay balance.

Last edited:
Also I removed the two militia units given to Rep. Spain by the Civil War event. The Republic now gets militia units in a separate event after the outbreak of civil war. When the event occurs depends on the choice of actions in the 'Last-Minute Negotiations' events. The options are a bit different depending on whether you chose a leftist or moderate Prime Minister earlier on, but here's an outline of how it happens if you choose the historical choice:

#1 (7/15/36) unions request arms to prevent imminent coup attempt (HoG Casares opposes this)
- Refuse Arms to Workers (trigger #2)
- Arm the Workers (Casares resigns, Giral becomes HoG, trigger #5

#2 failing to reach a compromise, Casares resigns. Barrio is named HoG and asked to negotiate with the rebel generals. Barrio also opposes giving arms to civilians.
- Offer Compromise (leads to either #3 or #4, depending on previous events and luck)
- Arm the Workers (Barrio resigns, Giral becomes HoG, trigger #6

#3 (7/16) General Mola Rejects our Offer (civil war is inevitable, Barrio resigns, Giral becomes HoG, trigger #7)

#4 (7/16) General Mola Accepts our Offer (very small chance of this happening, alignment shifts toward fascist, Mola and Franco become ministers and civil war is averted...for now)

7/17 - Outbreak of Civil War

#5 (7/17) When the uprising begins, the workers' militias are armed and ready (add militias, dissent lowered)

#6 (7/18) Negotiations have failed, Giral gives the order to arm the workers (add militias)

#7 (7/20) After two Prime Ministers resigned rather than give arms to workers, they are now storming barracks and armories to arm themselves. Giral has no choice but to make official the distribution of arms (add militias, dissent raised)

Belgium

Belgium was part of the Allies after WWI, indeed she helped France in occupying the Rhineland in the 20's. When did Belgium leave the allies and revert to neutrality? If it is before 1936 then everything is ok but if it was after this should be an event (staying with the allies should trigger alot of dissent from the Flemish I believe) that should perhaps trigger a French event to extend the Maginot Line.

Likewise there should then be events to yank the Dutch and the Belgians out of any alliance should they join without being attacked (or being couped to Communist of Fascist)-and restore them to a neutral position on the triangle-they were both commited to neutrality and I think it is odd they would leave it voluntarily no matter how grave the threat.

However if Japan ever declares war on the Dutch an event should give the Dutch an option to ask to join the allies which, if accepted by the UK would put the allies at war with the Japanese. An American response to this would be good as well, though a decision to join the allies without a 100% WE would lead to very high dissent of course.

I am not really sure how to make these events though can anybody give me some pointers or feedback?

The Occupation of the Rhineland event could trigger the following response:

(Fr)1. France has the option to intervene.
a. do nothing
b. intervene leads to +8 dissent and German and UK response. (triggers #3)

(Ger)2. If France intervenes and resists UK pressure Germany can:
a. Backdown-France occupies Rhineland all German troops here placed in force pool. WE for all democracies reduced -10. German dissent +10. Saarland is given to France for a period to time (triggers #6)
b. Take on the French-War breaks out between France and Germany.

(UK)3. The UK is suspicious of French power on the continent and wants to prevent a war.
a. Threaten to remove France from alliance if they intervene ( triggers #4)
b. Support France (High dissent and triggers #2)

(Fr)4. The UK refuses to support France in the Rhineland
a. Backdown, humiliated (-10 DI, dissent, trigger #5)
b. Leave Allies and press ahead (France leaves the allies triggers #2)

(Ger)5. Germany humiliates France (+10 DI for Germany and -5 dissent)

(Fr)6. France gives Saarland back to Germany in 1939 if French WE is under 50%

If anybody is sure when the various governments of the Third Republic rose and fell it would be nice to add those as events that change ministers around and raise dissent +1 from time to time (the times when there was functionally no government all the ministers would be undistinguished suits). Further historically major strikes and political crises could also be events to help simulate the unstable nature of the late Third Republic in France.

Britain, France and Italy should get events for the Anshluss (Italy wanted Austria for herself) and Munich crisis-since this is western Europe I will make my recomendations for the two former for Munich.

(UK)1. Munich conference UK
a. Peace in our time (historical result -5 dissent triggers #2)
b. Czechoslovakia's borders must be protected! (dissent 10 triggers #3)

(Fr)2. UK favors appeasing Hitler
a. We are not strong enough to go alone! (triggers regular Munich events)
b. France will honor her pact with Czechoslovakia! (France leaves allies dissent +10 triggers #4)

(Fr)3. UK will support Czechoslovakia
a. We stand by our allies (tiggers #5)
b. We would love to help but we are too weak (France leaves allies dissent +10)

(Cz)4. France supports us!
a. Let the Germans come! (triggers a German ultimatum that if offered lead to war between the Axis and France-Czechoslovakia (both France and Czechoslovakia have MA with each other like the Sweden-Finland "alliance" in the winter war events)
b. Lets prevent a general war (triggers Munich agreement acceptance and triggers #6)

(Cz)5. The Allies support us!
a. Let the Germans come! (Czechoslovakia joins the allies)
b. Lets prevent a general war (triggers Munich agreement acceptance)

(Fr)6. Czechoslovakia refuses our aid! (-10 DI dissent +5) (triggers #7)

(Ger)7. France is humiliated! (+10 DI -5 dissent)

G'day All,

Just a few events to mimic the operations of the SOE in France - I don't think they're too strong but if you think it should be 1 or 2 dissent rather than 3 let me know, keeping in mind they don't hit too often. Great work you're all doing here.

# Partisans caused some degree of trouble to Germany throughout the course of the
# second world war, primarily in France and Russia

## French Partisans
event = {
id = 20600
country = ENG
random = no
trigger = {
control = {province = 527 data = GER}
war = {country = GER country = ENG}
}

date = { day =1 month = July year = 1940 }
offset = 30 # Check for trigger conditions every 30 days
deathdate = { day = 30 month = december year = 1947 }

name = "UK decides on SOE"
desc = "The Special Operantions Executive (SOE) was set up by the UK to 'set Europe alight' - by providing supplies and support to partisans, the SOE caused both economic and social problems across occupied Europe."
style = 0

action_a = {
name = "Set up SOE" #Yes
command = { type = supplies value = -400}
}
action_b = {
name = "That's not the way Gentlemen fight a war" #No
command = { }
}
}

event = {
id = 20601
country = GER
random = no
trigger = {
random = 30
event = 20600
}

date = { day =1 month = July year = 1940 }
offset = 180 # Check for trigger conditions every 180 days

name = "Partisans cause trouble in France"
desc = "French Partisans caused problems for the German army in France, and disrupted Germany's ability to exploit occupied France's economy."
style = 0

action_a = {
command = { type = dissent value = 3}
command = { type = supplies value = -200}
}
}

event = {
id = 20602
country = ENG
random = no
trigger = {
random = 25
event = 20601
}

date = { day =1 month = January year = 1941 }

name = "Partisans steal technology"
desc = "French Partisans caused problems for the German army in France, and assisted the UK in gathering intelligence from the German war machine."
style = 0

action_a = {
command = { type = steal_tech which = -1}
}
}

event = {
id = 20603
country = GER
random = no
trigger = {
random = 30
event = 20600
}

date = { day =1 month = July year = 1941 }

desc = "French Partisans caused problems for the German army in France, and disrupted Germany's ability to exploit occupied France's economy."
style = 0

action_a = {
}
}

event = {
id = 20604
country = ENG
random = no
trigger = {
random = 25
event = 20601
}

date = { day =1 month = January year = 1942 }

desc = "French Partisans caused problems for the German army in France, and assisted the UK in gathering intelligence from the German war machine."
style = 0

action_a = {
}
}
event = {
id = 20605
country = GER
random = no
trigger = {
random = 30
event = 20600
}

date = { day =1 month = July year = 1943 }

style = 0

action_a = {
}
}

event = {
id = 20606
country = ENG
random = no
trigger = {
random = 25
event = 20601
}

date = { day =1 month = January year = 1944 }

style = 0

action_a = {
}
}

event = {
id = 20607
country = GER
random = no
trigger = {
random = 30
event = 20600
}

date = { day =1 month = July year = 1944 }

style = 0

action_a = {
}
}

event = {
id = 20608
country = ENG
random = no
trigger = {
random = 25
event = 20601
}

date = { day =1 month = January year = 1945 }

style = 0

action_a = {
}
}
event = {
id = 20609
country = GER
random = no
trigger = {
random = 30
event = 20600
}

date = { day =1 month = July year = 1945 }

style = 0

action_a = {
}
}

event = {
id = 20610
country = ENG
random = no
trigger = {
random = 25
event = 20601
}

date = { day =1 month = January year = 1946 }

style = 0

action_a = {
}
}

I'm also using a couple of events that 'assert low country neutrality' - in case they're any use.

############# Assertion of Neutrality by BEL/HOL/LUX

event = {
id = 21018
country = BEL
random = no
trigger = {
NOT = {
OR = {
war = {country = ENG country = GER}
alignment = fascist
}
}
}

date = { Day=1 month = October year = 1938 }
Offset = 30 # Check for trigger every 20 days

name = "Low countries emphasise their neutrality"
desc = "With tension on the continent increasing almost daily, the smaller nations were anxious to assure neighbours that they were neutral in the event of a conflict."
style = 0

action_a = {
name = "Statement of Neutrality" #OK!
command = { type = alignment which = communist value = 30}
}
action_a = {
name = "We'll always be ourselves" #OK!
command = { }
}
}

event = {
id = 21019
country = HOL
random = no
trigger = {
NOT = {
OR = {
alignment = fascist
}
}
}

desc = "With tension on the continent increasing almost daily, the smaller nations were anxious to assure neighbours that they were neutral in the event of a conflict."
style = 0

action_a = {
command = { type = alignment which = communist value = 30}
}
action_a = {
command = { }
}
}

event = {
id = 21020
country = LUX
random = no
trigger = {
NOT = {
OR = {
alignment = fascist
}
}
}

style = 0

action_a = {
command = { type = alignment which = communist value = 20}
}
action_a = {
command = { }
}
}

Isn't it lucky my European History course is right at the prewar period..

French Goverments 1936-1939 were very unstable.
there was even a coup attempt in 1937 by a secrect cabal of army officers and police, called the...uh..wheres my notes for yesterday..here we go, The Cagoule, meaning "the hooded ones", at least thats what my prof said. Anyways, they tried to overthrow the goverment at the time in nov of 1937. They failed, but they did murder a number of promenint leftists. of course, my textbook dosn't list any of the names. But simply this event could push france dissent up a fair bit.

Some other stuff that was the Policies of the Popular front goverment, headed by Leon Blum, was in 1936 he stopped their programs of reform, to lessen the worries of the Upper classes, in march 1937. by June, france had gotten so bad, Blum resigned, and a radical goverment was formed.

There were ALOT of strikes at this period in france, so the stike event probably should happen to france a fair bit here. Also, the Left in france was extreamly upset that the goverment wasn't going to help the Republicans in Spain, so maybe if france chooses not to help, dissent goes up.

in 193, blum attepted to come back, but was unsuccessful, and a new radical goverment was formed under Edouard Daladier, who was to repleal the 40 hour work week law that had been passed in 1936( more dissent!). Paul Reynaud became fiance minister, and his policies recovered frances economy, but in 1939. This Could possibly give some production to the French, which i notice, is horrible! i just finished a game, wher ei was horribly mauled as the french, as they only had 126 ic to begin with...have an increase of 5 or so in some of the major provinces, that could help, not that the world will be at peice for much longer, but it may give them a fighting chance.

France really didn't seemm to want to leap into war like the british...maybe there could be an option for the french to stay out, at least for a little while.

How about the World Exposition of 1937; it was quite important back then I believe; maybe lower dissent and supplies.

Originally posted by Twisted_Mentat
Isn't it lucky my European History course is right at the prewar period..

French Goverments 1936-1939 were very unstable.
there was even a coup attempt in 1937 by a secrect cabal of army officers and police, called the...uh..wheres my notes for yesterday..here we go, The Cagoule, meaning "the hooded ones", at least thats what my prof said. Anyways, they tried to overthrow the goverment at the time in nov of 1937. They failed, but they did murder a number of promenint leftists. of course, my textbook dosn't list any of the names. But simply this event could push france dissent up a fair bit.

Some other stuff that was the Policies of the Popular front goverment, headed by Leon Blum, was in 1936 he stopped their programs of reform, to lessen the worries of the Upper classes, in march 1937. by June, france had gotten so bad, Blum resigned, and a radical goverment was formed.

There were ALOT of strikes at this period in france, so the stike event probably should happen to france a fair bit here. Also, the Left in france was extreamly upset that the goverment wasn't going to help the Republicans in Spain, so maybe if france chooses not to help, dissent goes up.

in 193, blum attepted to come back, but was unsuccessful, and a new radical goverment was formed under Edouard Daladier, who was to repleal the 40 hour work week law that had been passed in 1936( more dissent!). Paul Reynaud became fiance minister, and his policies recovered frances economy, but in 1939. This Could possibly give some production to the French, which i notice, is horrible! i just finished a game, wher ei was horribly mauled as the french, as they only had 126 ic to begin with...have an increase of 5 or so in some of the major provinces, that could help, not that the world will be at peice for much longer, but it may give them a fighting chance.

France really didn't seemm to want to leap into war like the british...maybe there could be an option for the french to stay out, at least for a little while.

The situation was very instable in France with both Right wing and left wing activism.

I think according to the government you choose you should get various types of events. Thus a left wing government should reduce the risks of strikes, though there were massive upheavals during the period, but increase discontent within the army.
Military leaders often han an opinion of "Plutôt les boches que le front populaire"
Moreover there was a strong communist party in France and events affecting Russia should also affect France. Thus after the M-R pact was signed the communist party was forbidden and some MP's fled to Russia. There were also some small actions by communist activists to undermine the war effort.

After Barbarossa things changed with communists taking an important share in the French resistance.

Basically France was an enormous can of worms with Vichy, De Gaulle and the various resistance movements the landings in North Africa, Liberation of France......

There is scope for a lot of events indeed. I can try to research this a little bit and see what I can come up with.