• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Scorced earth

I reckon a set of events simulating the Soviet scorched earth policy (reducing IC and Infrastructure) would go alright. Other ideas include some way of having a 'winter war' effect on Germany (I'm testing with a reduction in supplies and oil over Nov, Dec and Jan '41, with a partial return of what's taken away in March and April - this way the cautious player can be ready for it, but needs to spend some resources to make sure it's not an issue), and the effects of Russian partisans.

Re: Scorced earth

Originally posted by Axe99
I reckon a set of events simulating the Soviet scorched earth policy (reducing IC and Infrastructure) would go alright. Other ideas include some way of having a 'winter war' effect on Germany (I'm testing with a reduction in supplies and oil over Nov, Dec and Jan '41, with a partial return of what's taken away in March and April - this way the cautious player can be ready for it, but needs to spend some resources to make sure it's not an issue), and the effects of Russian partisans.

might that make winter '41 a bit to deterministic? Shouldn't there be some triggers so it happens any winter they are at war with the SU, beyong s certain point and with set requirements. I mean, what if Germany had done something to prepare for this?

Just saying they WILL get the events no matter what seems a bit to much.

You're right about the winter war effect - it is a bit hard and fast at this stage (and I'm not sold on the effects either) - but at the moment if nothing happens it's all over for the USSR. Feel free to suggest any improvements - you're right about making it a possibility for the second winter. One of the positives at the moment is that it only has an effect on supplies and oil, so theoretically if the Germans stockpile enough supplies and oil they won't be significantly affected. What this will probably mean is that an AI is slowed down, and a human will have to either build the stocks up or get hit.

Regarding the scorched earth stuff, the moving of the industrial base was part of but not all of the scorched earth policy - in many areas they really went the whole hog to leave nothing behind, as well as move the productive resources out.

C.O.R.E. Leand Lease

I am not sure about how Lend Lease is modeled in HoI, but think that the USSR needs some help and a better Lend Lease (if there is one) is required.

Canada, England and the United States sent thousands of planes, tanks and trucks to Russia. I think that if any nation gets free units it should be Russia.

Possibly have the event If Murmansk/Arkangelsk are under Soviet Command they start recieving Armoured and Aircraft divisions.

The Russians had entire divisions equipped with Allied Lend Lease equipment, so giving them weak divisions plus supply (russia must supply manpower) would really help them.

From Canada
1 Tank Division
2 Aircraft Divisions

From England
3 Tank Divisions
2 Aircraft Divisions

From United States
5 Tank Divisions
6 Aircraft Divisions

This would all ocurr over a long period of time (from 1942-45), so the Soviets will not suddenly get a lot of new units. This might help them in the later stages.

You may want to look at changing the Winter War triggers. I just had an unusual event outcome which had Japan and USSR at war in 1939. This led to USSR sending all their forces to the Far East but then happily declaring war on Finland (who took Murmansk etc). Just as the USSR started to recover Germany invaded with a 20:1 advantage...

Basically what I'm thinking is that if USSR is already at war with anybody then the Winter War should perhaps not happen.

in order to make the ussr really produce hordes maybe that would do good:

##################################################
#######################
# Install Mass Combat Minister in USSR
#######################
# by nighty

event = {
id = 30030
random = no
country = SOV

date = { day = 7 month = february year = 1939 }
offset = 1
deathdate = { day = 30 month = december year = 1947 }

name = "Installation of Boris M. Shaposhnikov"
desc = "The Russian program of building an army of hordes of infantry required higher and higher draft rates.

Boris M. Shaposhnikov promised Stalin to effectffely double them for the soviet's effort."
style = 0

action_a = {
command = { type = chiefofstaff which = 4040 }
}
}

Originally posted by N!ghtY
in order to make the ussr really produce hordes maybe that would do good:

#######################
# Install Mass Combat Minister in USSR
#######################
# by nighty

event = {
id = 30030
random = no
country = SOV

date = { day = 7 month = february year = 1939 }
offset = 1
deathdate = { day = 30 month = december year = 1947 }

desc = "The Russian program of building an army of hordes of infantry required higher and higher draft rates.

Boris M. Shaposhnikov promised Stalin to effectffely double them for the soviet's effort."
style = 0

action_a = {
command = { type = chiefofstaff which = 4040 }
}
}
i will add it :D

Generalisimo, further to some discussion in GD forum I think we should add another trigger condition to the Winter War (event 2620 in ussr.txt).

war = { country = GER country = ENG }

This should ensure that the Allies vs ComIntern in 1939 doesn't happen, a good think IMHO since most players seem to strongly dislike the Allies wasting their strength on the Soviets.

Originally posted by Steel
Generalisimo, further to some discussion in GD forum I think we should add another trigger condition to the Winter War (event 2620 in ussr.txt).

This should ensure that the Allies vs ComIntern in 1939 doesn't happen, a good think IMHO since most players seem to strongly dislike the Allies wasting their strength on the Soviets.
i will look into that... :D

well, i have added this to the trigger conditions:

atwar = no

so, now if the USSR is at war with anybody, the event will no trigger.
Also it will check if there is a war between the allies and the axis...

:D

Originally posted by Generalisimo
well, i have added this to the trigger conditions:

atwar = no

so, now if the USSR is at war with anybody, the event will no trigger.
Also it will check if there is a war between the allies and the axis...

:D

Good stuff :D I was running with this yesterday, it seems to work well.

I suggest change in Finish War event - sometimes Poland is able to defend a bit longer, so I suggest offset, not fixed date of event.

Generalissimo, could you fix that?

#########################################################################
# The Finnish Winter War
#########################################################################
event = {
id = 2620
random = no
country = SOV

trigger = {
exists = FIN
NOT = {
exists = POL
OR = {
war = { country = FIN country = SOV }
war = { country = GER country = SOV }
alliance = { country = FIN country = SOV }
control = { province = 787 data = SOV }
control = { province = 803 data = SOV }
control = { province = 821 data = SOV }
ispuppet = FIN
ispuppet = SOV
}
}
##### added ####
atwar = no
}

name = "EVT_2620_NAME"
desc = "EVT_2620_DESC"
style = 0

date = { day = 13 month = november year = 1939 }
offset = 1
deathdate = { day = 1 month = march year = 1940 }

action_a = {
name = "ACTIONNAME2620A" # Press claims
command = { type = trigger which = 3200 } # FIN
}
action_b = {
name = "ACTIONNAME2620B" # Leave them be
command = { }
}
}

Originally posted by Copper Nicus
Looks like this tread has been forgotten...
Anyone got suggestion for USSR events? Some of them were posted on Eastern Europe forum (Naval development), some were posted directly to General (Yagoda and Jezov demise) but surely there could be some more? :)

I wrote the Dnieper Dam event but it's almost meaningless right now since infra reduction is only temporary and the trigger is that USSR lost the province (ie the enemy is already there!). If infra is fixed in 1.04 we can include the event in 0.2.

THE ASSASSINATION OF LEON TROTSKY

On August 9, 1940, an NKVD plot to assassinate the exiled leader Leon Trotsky in Mexico succeeded. The assassination, meant to shore up support at home, only succeeded in shocking Mexico.

Dissent -1.

EFFECT ON MEXICO: -5 Communism.

Originally posted by Prufrock451
THE ASSASSINATION OF LEON TROTSKY

On August 9, 1940, an NKVD plot to assassinate the exiled leader Leon Trotsky in Mexico succeeded. The assassination, meant to shore up support at home, only succeeded in shocking Mexico.

Dissent -1.

EFFECT ON MEXICO: -5 Communism.

Definitely gotta have Trotsky in there. Should it affect the US as well? It is a case of the Soviets reaching into the Western Hemisphere. Push the US away from Communism? Slight dip in relations?

Originally posted by Mettermrck
Definitely gotta have Trotsky in there. Should it affect the US as well? It is a case of the Soviets reaching into the Western Hemisphere. Push the US away from Communism? Slight dip in relations?

It would be an interesting effect - Stalin's revenge was quite a show, but did it really affected public opinion this much? Maybe really small drop of communism support (like -5) would do... 3 events, 1 SOV, 1 MEX, 1 USA.

#######################
# Leon Trotsky Assasination - Stalin's revenge
#
# by Copper Nicus

#######################

event = {
id = A
random = no
country = SOV
trigger = {
exists = SOV
headofgovernment = 4002
}

name = "Stalin's Revenge"
desc = "Stalin always remembered his enemies, no matter how long time ago they opposed

him or how far away they were from Cremlin. One of the most important Stalin's enemies was Leon

Trotsky, former creator and first commander of Red Army and important figure of bolsheviks

movement. After lost struggle for power after Lenin's demise, Trotsky was exiled from USSR and

ventured from country to country tracked by Stalin's spies and assasins. According to our NKVD operatives, he is now in Mexico. Shall we take an assination attempt?"

style = 0
date = { day = 20 month = august year = 1940 } # Fixed date?

action_a = {
name = "Human - problem. No human - no problem."
command = { type = dissent value = -1 }
command = { type = influence value = -5 } # Diplomatic scandal
command = { type = trigger which = B } # MEX reaction
command = { type = trigger which = C } # USA reaction

}
action_b = {
name = "He is no danger for us."
command = { type = dissent value = 1 } # It's against oficial propaganda
}
}

#######################
# Leon Trotsky Assasination - MEX shocked
#
# by Copper Nicus

#######################

event = {
id = B
random = no
country = MEX
trigger = {
}

name = "Trotsky assasinated - Mexico reaction"
desc = "Stalin always remembered his enemies, no matter how long time ago they opposed

him or how far away they were from Cremlin. One of the most important Stalin's enemies was Leon

Trotsky, former creator and first commander of Red Army and important figure of bolsheviks

movement. After lost struggle for power after Lenin's demise, Trotsky was exiled from USSR and

ventured from country to country tracked by Stalin's spies and assasins. Finally, at August 1940

he was killed by NKVD operative in Mexico. Stalin's brutal action shocked public opinion both in

Mexico and in USA."

style = 0

action_a = {
name = "OK"
command = { type = allignment which = communism value = -10 }
}
}

#######################
# Leon Trotsky Assasination - USA less shocked
#
# by Copper Nicus

#######################

event = {
id = B
random = no
country = MEX
trigger = {
event = B # Trotsky assasinated
}

name = "Trotsky assasinated - USA reaction"

ventured from country to country tracked by Stalin's spies and assasins. Finally, at August 1940

he was killed by NKVD operative in Mexico. Stalin's brutal action shocked public opinion both in

Mexico and in USA."

style = 0

action_a = {
name = "OK"
command = { type = allignment which = communism value = -5 }
}
}

Last edited: