• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Generalisimo, can you confirm that only 1 of the Ethiopian events that has addcore commands will ever fire (thinking about Italian and English recognition events)?

Originally posted by Steel
Generalisimo, can you confirm that only 1 of the Ethiopian events that has addcore commands will ever fire (thinking about Italian and English recognition events)?
well, to be more sure, we could, when 1 fires, send the others to sleep, just in case.... :D

ETH OOB

New OOB for ETH, please confirm this is the version you wanted? Thx.

Code:
####################
### ETHIOPIA OOB ###
####################

landunit = {
#Regular army#

id = { type = 14670 id = 1 } 
	location = 1290
	name = "Mahel Safari"
	leader = 3301

division = {
		id = { type = 14670 id = 2 } 
		name = "Army of Illubabor"
		type = infantry
		strength = 100
	}
	division = {
		id = { type = 14670 id = 3 } 
		name = "Army of Wag"
		type = militia
		strength = 100
	}
	division = {
		id = { type = 14670 id = 4 } 
		name = "Army of Tigray"
		type = militia
		strength = 100
	}
	division = {
		id = { type = 14670 id = 5 } 
		name = "Army of Gondar"
		type = militia
		strength = 100
	}
}

landunit = {
#Militia#

id = { type = 14670 id = 6 } 
	location = 1288
	name = "1. Shifta Corps"
	leader = 3304

division = {
		id = { type = 14670 id = 7 } 
		name = "Army of Wolloga"
		type = militia
		strength = 100
	}
	division = {
		id = { type = 14670 id = 8 } 
		name = "Army of Shoa"
		type = militia
		strength = 100
	}
}

landunit = {
#Militia#
	id = { type = 14670 id = 9 } 
	location = 1293
	name = "Army of the Ogaden"
	leader = 3307

division = {
		id = { type = 14670 id = 10 } 
		name = "Imperial Guard"
		type = infantry
		strength = 100 
	} 
	division = {
		id = { type = 14670 id = 11 } 
		name = "Army of Welo"
		type = militia
		strength = 100
	}
}

#################################

}

Had another database mismatch problem. This time it occurred 12/12/1938, had to click ignore about 12 times after which the log was updated:

name = "3:00 December 12, 1938 : The people of Ethiopia declared independence from Italy."
name = "3:00 December 12, 1938 : Ethiopia had Ethiopian Revolt ."
name = "3:00 December 12, 1938 : Ethiopia declared war upon Italy."

There's something wrong in core_Italy.txt or core_Africa.txt, but I've not been able to spot it.

Had another database mismatch problem. This time it occurred 12/12/1938, had to click ignore about 12 times after which the log was updated:

name = "3:00 December 12, 1938 : The people of Ethiopia declared independence from Italy."
name = "3:00 December 12, 1938 : Ethiopia had Ethiopian Revolt ."
name = "3:00 December 12, 1938 : Ethiopia declared war upon Italy."

There's something wrong in core_Italy.txt or core_Africa.txt, but I've not been able to spot it.
mmm.... that's weird... i will try to take a look at it... :rolleyes:

EDITED: take a look at the history.txt and look which event of the ethiopian fighters triggered... ;)

The sub-saharan area was an interesting time during World War II, and it's impact during the war is underestimated. Here are some other events or modifications and their possible effects.

I haven't started working on any of these events, but perhaps these could be debated for their overall value to the game experience and the good ones can be further developed. Let me know what you think.

-The railway between Djibouti and Addis Ababa was about as important as the Mombasa-Nairobi-Kampala Railway sytem. Infrastructure should be improved to represent that.

-For some reason, v1.05 has Ethiopia as a Left-Wing radical government, this should be changed to Paternal Autocrat.

-Italian army, having lost to the Ethiopian army at the Battle of Adwa in 1896, was absolutely determined not to lose the war with Ethiopia. I think the Italian invasion should be so overwhelming that they will win 99% of the time. Italians used tanks, heavy artillery, and most notably poision gas in Ethiopia, so the more heavy units should be placed in the ranks of Italy's army in 1936.

-The use of poison gas by the Italians should bring up another event. The use of gas didn't effect the strength of Ethiopia's army, but their organization would take a hit because the troops had to scatter. The larger effect is on the widespread use of the gas on civilians, fields, and water sources. Manpower and industrial capacity should be reduced to represent this use.

Also, the European reaction to the use of poison gas by the Italians should be represented. Historically, they let the issue pass without incident, but their was talk of harder sanctions on Ethiopia.

Outside of Ethiopia, there were some other events of note:

France-Vichy France:

-French West Africa was surrendered to the Free French by 1943. Perhaps the takeover of all VP's in North Africa by the allies could trigger this handover.

-The Free French had large numbers of Africans in their army, up to 60% of all troops in several divisions. Perhaps that could be reflected with adding some more African division names. I don't know where to find potential African division names, but it might be worth checking out.

-Camp de Thiaroye Massacre in 1944. The Free French killed thousands of their own troops during WW2 who rioted or demanded their independence. This was most notable in Algeria in 1945, but the French also killed hundreds of rioting Senegalese troops in a camp outside of Dakar.

-Burma Campaign of 1942. Many African units fought first in the Burma campaign. Perhaps an event will create a few new units in Burma in the event of a DoW between Britain and Japan.

-Independence movement, probably best shown by the establishment of the Kenya African Union in 1944. Increased civil unrest (perhaps 1%).

South Africa:

South Africa was debating whether or not to join the western alliance, remain neutral, or tacitly support the Axis cause in a way similar to the Spanish and Portuguese. I can't recall many of the events, but I could look over my books over the weekend and come up with some events strings for South Africa.

Sea zones:

German and Japanese submarines patrolled extensively around Africa. More Japanese submarine presence in the Indian Ocean provinces, and more German presence in the south Atlantic Ocean provinces.

Originally posted by Cairo_East
-Independence movement, probably best shown by the establishment of the Kenya African Union in 1944. Increased civil unrest (perhaps 1%).

South Africa:

South Africa was debating whether or not to join the western alliance, remain neutral, or tacitly support the Axis cause in a way similar to the Spanish and Portuguese. I can't recall many of the events, but I could look over my books over the weekend and come up with some events strings for South Africa.

Sea zones:

German and Japanese submarines patrolled extensively around Africa. More Japanese submarine presence in the Indian Ocean provinces, and more German presence in the south Atlantic Ocean provinces.
any more info on that? it looks interesting... specially this points that i quoted. ;)

-Italian army, having lost to the Ethiopian army at the Battle of Adwa in 1896, was absolutely determined not to lose the war with Ethiopia. I think the Italian invasion should be so overwhelming that they will win 99% of the time. Italians used tanks, heavy artillery, and most notably poision gas in Ethiopia, so the more heavy units should be placed in the ranks of Italy's army in 1936.
The tanks were outdated models and mostly useless in the rocky terrains of the north iirc. IMHO, as the Italians for sure couldn´t afford to lose this war, should bring up everything they have on airforce, not landtroops. i find it unbelievable, that Italy would bring every single division they have to Africa.
Another thing that could be modelled is the massive buildup of stockpiles the Italians underwent, as they knew they´d be blockaded by the British Navy someday...

-The use of poison gas by the Italians should bring up another event. The use of gas didn't effect the strength of Ethiopia's army, but their organization would take a hit because the troops had to scatter. The larger effect is on the widespread use of the gas on civilians, fields, and water sources. Manpower and industrial capacity should be reduced to represent this use.
Maybe a flavour event could suffice to tell the story, massive use of airforce brings down the org pretty well already... :)

Other than that the large Battle of Mai Ceu was very tight...ETH almost managed to break the italian lines...when finally the Italian reinforcements arrived. If they had come a single day later, the war would have been pretty much lost, as Ethiopia then had a point to break through into Eritrea. Therefore I wouldn´t give Italy a 99% chance of winning...also Ethiopia is impossible to win with atm, which is a rather frustrating experience.
And, yes, I am biased ;)

Originally posted by SykoNurse
Another thing that could be modelled is the massive buildup of stockpiles the Italians underwent, as they knew they´d be blockaded by the British Navy someday...

Is this not enough? Italy has as much supply in North Africa as most nations have in total... I can't add supplies to a province after the scenario has started.

Code:
#Supply pools in Africa
province = {  id = 1285  oilpool = 100 supplypool = 5000 }
province = {  id = 1302  oilpool = 100 supplypool = 5000 }
province = {  id = 1087  oilpool = 500 supplypool = 5000 }

Is this not enough? Italy has as much supply in North Africa as most nations have in total... I can't add supplies to a province after the scenario has started.

Code:
#Supply pools in Africa
province = {  id = 1285  oilpool = 100 supplypool = 5000 }
province = {  id = 1302  oilpool = 100 supplypool = 5000 }
province = {  id = 1087  oilpool = 500 supplypool = 5000 }
well yes, that should be enough, disregard that comment above... ;)

Kismayo province should be ITA not ENG

-cross posted to the main board but thought it would be of interest here as well.

I always thought that the boundary of Italian Somaliland looked odd, and did some digging. Kismayo province (HoI #1301) was ceded by ENG to ITA in 1925, where it was administered for a year as a separate colony of Oltre Giuba before being assimilated into Italian Somaliland, and has remained part of Somalia since.

Link to a website for further information :

http://www.zum.de/whkmla/region/eas...alia191839.html

Re: Kismayo province should be ITA not ENG

Originally posted by OHgamer
I always thought that the boundary of Italian Somaliland looked odd, and did some digging. Kismayo province (HoI #1301) was ceded by ENG to ITA in 1925, where it was administered for a year as a separate colony of Oltre Giuba before being assimilated into Italian Somaliland, and has remained part of Somalia since.

Edited.

Liberia

Did anybody ever look at the USA-Liberia defense agreement in 1942? There's a post by Ming in the early pages of this thread that outlines it.

Re: Liberia

Did anybody ever look at the USA-Liberia defense agreement in 1942? There's a post by Ming in the early pages of this thread that outlines it.

Does anyone ever look at Liberia? :D MDow