• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(14605)

Recruit
Feb 10, 2003
Visit site
I'd like to get a thread going to discuss possible events for African nations. I have a large amount of material on Ethiopia so can research questions in that area; Italian invasion, British liberation etc. I expect many of these events would be flavor events as geo political significance is lacking in most cases. Some areas of exploration for what ifs could be; Axis siezure of South Africa (I believe most UK, commonwealth troop transshipment was going around Cape of Good Hope vs. the Suez Canal which obviously exited into a very hot war zone in the Med. Large supply of rubber in Belgian Congo, consequenses of occupation by Brits or Axis after fall of France? German colonies in South East and South West Africa? Portuguese? Boer resurgence in South Africa? As far as historical sources I believe Paxham (sp?) has a work on Africa in World War I but secondary sources seem limited. Any reading suggestions would be helpful. I have a strong history background but need some assistance with technicalities of scripting. I intend on perusing Harvard's site to get the basics. Comments or suggestions?

This is quite interesting...

I never Included Africa in my regions since every provinces belong to either a colonialist country or to the Commonwhealth...

If you need any scripting help or have any questions, feel free to post in the CORE Events Writing Help Desk...

Extro :)

Some ideas.

Is there already an event for Western Intervention in the Italian attack on Ethiopia? (I hardly ever play the 36 scenario) There should be options for the Allies to dither back and forth. (Although really, HOI's diplomatic model isn't really deep enough to do this justice.) Perhaps if Ethiopia hangs on for a set length of time an Anglo-French 'peace keeping' expeditionairy force can be formed near Djibouti. Also, if Ethiopia wins (unlikely, but I've done it.) Italy should be given a choice to negotiate or continue the war from Italy. (Such a loss of Face would also have big consequences. Perhaps Mussolini's government would fall?)

Other than that, there should perhaps be an event in 1943 for the opening of the world's largest rubber plantation in Liberia that boosts Liberia's rubber output.

Ethiopia

I´d like to see an event that reflects Haile Selassie I´s speech in Geneva after the annexation of Ethiopia to the League of Nations. Could imagine a raise of war entry in the democratic countries.
there also could´ve be an (US) event before to sent men and material to Ethiopia or suffer a little dissent from the black communities.
my 0.02 credits

Last edited:
I'd forgotten about that. The African American community in the US was enraged over the events in Ethiopia. Unfortunately, in 1936 Black clout was marginal so no matter how high black dissent would rise it wouldn't amount to much. (1 or 2 points at most.)

I think the game may already have the war entry increases balanced, so maybe we should instead have Allied war entry lowered if Ethiopia holds out. (Seems counterintuitive, but it should work out.)

Originally posted by Ming
Other than that, there should perhaps be an event in 1943 for the opening of the world's largest rubber plantation in Liberia that boosts Liberia's rubber output.

Something like 90% of all Rubber was produced in Malaya and the East Indies. Liberia, together with the rest of the world, didn't produce very much.

Regarding Ethiopia there are some events that could be made:

1. Creation of a Ethiopian Vassal state under Italian control
2. Ethiopian Rebellions (something like a partisan uprising) triggered by events.
3. Ethiopian Claims on Italian Somaliland (if on the Allied side)
4. Ethiopian Claims on Vichy French Somaliland (if on the Allied side)
5. Ethiopian Claims on French Somaliland (if on the Axis side)
6. Ethiopian Claims on British Somaliland (if on the Axis side)
7. Ethiopian Claims on all Somalilands (if on Comintern Side)

Me and Extro worked on an Ethopian Peace agreement in which triggers an event on May 10th, 1938 in which Ethopia can demand either Eritrea or Eritrea and Somaliland.

See this thread.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Aetius
Something like 90% of all Rubber was produced in Malaya and the East Indies. Liberia, together with the rest of the world, didn't produce very much.

True. However, those areas were occupied quickly by the Japanese. After 1941 Liberia was almost the sole source of natural rubber for the Allied war effort. (There were plantations in Ceylon as well.)

In addition, the United States and Liberia signed a defense agreement in 1942 in which Liberia accepted 5,000 African American troops, built a US air base to ferry supplies to North Africa from Brazil and expelled all German citizens which made up most of the merchant class and nearly all of the doctors.

This could be an interesting diplomatic choice for the otherwise pointlessly boring country. Accept the defense agreement and gain some US troops but take a dissent and temporary IC hit (To rise higher than before after about a year as US troops brought stability to the nation and the newly opened defense facilities and rubber plantations increased government revenue by 133% by 1944 and provided many new jobs to the marginalized indigenous population), or refuse and risk becoming a liablity to the allies.

1) Some serious work has to be done about sub saharan africa. The interior wasn't so barren it couldn't be crossed, in fact much of it was bases for Free French troops.

2) Which brings another topic forward, why is all of Africa Vichy French? It couldn't be further from the truth..

Originally posted by Aetius
Regarding Ethiopia there are some events that could be made:

1. Creation of a Ethiopian Vassal state under Italian control
2. Ethiopian Rebellions (something like a partisan uprising) triggered by events.
3. Ethiopian Claims on Italian Somaliland (if on the Allied side)
4. Ethiopian Claims on Vichy French Somaliland (if on the Allied side)
5. Ethiopian Claims on French Somaliland (if on the Axis side)
6. Ethiopian Claims on British Somaliland (if on the Axis side)
7. Ethiopian Claims on all Somalilands (if on Comintern Side)
can you explain those events more? (posible dates, conditions, etc) :confused:

Originally posted by Ming
True. However, those areas were occupied quickly by the Japanese. After 1941 Liberia was almost the sole source of natural rubber for the Allied war effort. (There were plantations in Ceylon as well.)

In addition, the United States and Liberia signed a defense agreement in 1942 in which Liberia accepted 5,000 African American troops, built a US air base to ferry supplies to North Africa from Brazil and expelled all German citizens which made up most of the merchant class and nearly all of the doctors.

This could be an interesting diplomatic choice for the otherwise pointlessly boring country. Accept the defense agreement and gain some US troops but take a dissent and temporary IC hit (To rise higher than before after about a year as US troops brought stability to the nation and the newly opened defense facilities and rubber plantations increased government revenue by 133% by 1944 and provided many new jobs to the marginalized indigenous population), or refuse and risk becoming a liablity to the allies.
how much rubber do you want to add them?? 200?! :eek: that's too much for Liberia... :D :D
how much exactly do you want to add to them?
also you want to add them ICs?
:confused:

Originally posted by Generalisimo
how much rubber do you want to add them?? 200?! :eek: that's too much for Liberia... :D :D
how much exactly do you want to add to them?
also you want to add them ICs?
:confused:

Liberian rubber is inconsequencial. They had maybe 0.5% of world production prior to the war. When the Japanese occupation of the SE Asian fields cut off the rubber supply it was replaced with rubber production from most of Africa including Belgian Congo, British West Africa, Anglo-Egyptian Sudan and other parts of British East Africa; and South America. The main replacement were the US government synthetic rubber plants that were based on the original German patents acquired by Standard oil. The only important thing about Liberia were the American owned rubber plantations, but as I said they were just some plantations among many in the Allied world.

found a PM for Ethiopia:
Makonnen Endelkacew 1942 - 1 Nov 1957 (+1963)
endelkacew.jpg

yep you´re right, he´s in as head of government, but this position doesn´t seem to have a picture.
maybe he could be something else also, so you do not only have these shadowy fellows.

[Italian event]
Creation of a Ethiopian Vassal state under Italian control
->Trigger: Italian Occupation of Addis
-->A. Annex Ethiopia (annexation)
-->B. Install Friendly Government (Puppet, Military Control, joins Axis if Italy member of axis, install fascist regime)

[Ethiopian event]
Ethiopian Freedom Fighters
->Trigger: Random, no Italian Garrison, No Ethiopian Puppet as above, 1 event per Ethiopian province
-->Ok (Create a militia unit, liberate a single province, triggers "Ethiopian Revolt")

[Italy event]
Ethiopian Revolt
->Trigger: "Ethiopian Freedom Fighters"
-->Ok

[Ethiopian event]
Capital Liberated!
->Trigger: "Ethiopian Freedom Fighters" (unless the event was for Addis), Addis under Ethiopian control
-->Ok (Move capital to Addis)

[Ethiopian Event]
Italian East Africa Conquered!
->Trigger: Not member of Allies, at war with Italy, control of Obbia and Mogadischu and Kismayo and Eritrea
-->Demand Italian East Africa in Return for Peace (trigger Italian event "Ethiopia demands East Africa!")

[Italian Event]
Ethiopia demands East Africa!
->Trigger "Italian East Africa Conquered!"
-->A. Agree to their demands (trigger "Italy Agrees!", Italy loses all the provinces to Ethiopia, peace)
-->B. Offer Eritrea (trigger "Italy offers Eritrea")
-->C. Offer Somaliland (trigger "Italy offers Somaliland")
-->D. Refuse (trigger "Italy Refuses")

[Ethiopian Event]
Italy Agrees!
->Triggered by A in "Ethiopia demands East Africa!"
-->Ok (peace and what not... Dissent reduced by 20)

Italy Offers Eritrea
->Triggered by B in "Ethiopia demands East Africa!"
-->A. Accept Italian Offer (trigger "Ethiopia accepts Eritrea")
-->B. Refuse Italian Offer (trigger "Ethiopia refuses Eritrea")

Italy Offers Somaliland
->Triggered by C in "Ethiopia demands East Africa!"
-->A. Accept Italian Offer (trigger "Ethiopia accepts Somaliland")
-->B. Refuse Italian Offer (trigger "Ethiopia refuses Somaliland")

Italy Refuses
->Triggered by C in "Ethiopia demands East Africa!"
-->Ok

[Italian counter events]
Ethiopia accepts Eritrea
->Triggered by A in "Italy Offers Eritrea"
-->Ok (Italy loses Eritrea, peace)

Ethiopia refuses Eritrea
->Triggered by B in "Italy Offers Eritrea"
-->Ok

Ethiopia accepts Somaliland
->Triggered by A in "Italy Offers Somaliland"
-->Ok (Italy loses Somaliland, peace)

Ethiopia refuses Somaliland
->Triggered by A in "Italy Offers Somaliland"
-->Ok
---------------------------------------------------------
[Ethiopian Event]
Ethiopian Claims Italian East Africa:
->Trigger: Member of Allies, allied to UK, not allied to Italy; No claims on any of Italian East Africa Provinces
-->Demand Italian East Africa for Ethiopia (Trigger Uk Event "Ethiopian Demand for Italian East Africa" [1] and [2])

[Uk Event]
Ethiopian Demand for Italian East Africa [1]
->Trigger: "Ethiopian Claims Italian East Africa" Ethiopia doesn't grant military access to Uk;
-->A. Offer only Eritrea instead (trigger "UK offers Eritrea")
-->B. Accept Ethiopian Demand (trigger "UK Accepts demands")
-->C. Agree if Military access is provided (trigger "UK Accepts demands with condition")
-->D. Refuse Demands (trigger "UK Refuses")

Ethiopian Demand for Italian East Africa [2]
->Trigger: "Ethiopian Claims Italian East Africa" Ethiopia grants military access to Uk
-->A. Offer only Eritrea instead (trigger "UK offers Eritrea")
-->B. Accept Ethiopian Demand (trigger "UK Accepts demands")
-->D. Refuse Demands (trigger "UK Refuses")

[Ethiopian Counter Event]
UK offers Eritrea
->Triggered by Ethiopian Demand for Italian East Africa [2] or Ethiopian Demand for Italian East Africa [1]
-->Ok (gain claims on Eritrea)
-->Refuse (Trigger "Ethiopia Refuses")

UK Accepts demands
->Triggered by Ethiopian Demand for Italian East Africa [2] or Ethiopian Demand for Italian East Africa [1]
-->Ok (gain claims on all Italian East African provinces)

UK Accepts demands with condition
-->Ok (gain claims on all Italian East African provinces)
-->Refuse (Trigger "Ethiopia Refuses")

UK Refuses
-->Ok

Note
This chain can continue with Ethiopia demanding Somalia and alternate version if the Uk is knocked out