• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I found a Chief of Air Force for Ethiopia:
It was the US Citizen Col. John Robinson also known as the "Brown Condor".
He was sent to Ethiopia by a relative of Haile Selassie that studied medicine in the US and quickly won the confidence of the emperor with his skills as a pilot. then he was nominated commander of the obsolete 19 plane AirForce (that was basically used for courier missions). there is a recorde flight of him where he took the king of kings to the front so he could have a look HIMself
if anything i´d have him Army Aviation Doctrine type as a minister and spotter as air marshall...not that ethiopia could build planes.
:rolleyes:
- the leader Desta Damtew is on this picture
he´s the one behind the emperor
family.jpg

..ya, i know...

Last edited:
I managed to get pictures of
Ras Kassa
Ras Mulugeta
Asfa Wossen
Lij Iyasu
+ 2 pictures of the cabinet where i still have to sort out who everybody is...

who wants em? vulture?

this was a *load of work!:D
please have a look, especially at the military guys. only a few have confirmed ranks. it appears
that ethiopia only after the war adopted the rest of the worlds ranks. before that, if i understand
that correctly, a rather feudal system was in place.

-in some of cases i put their actial positions in brackets
-? are suggestions
- the number is meant to be skill (only higher than 1 when i read of something´s distinguishing them)
- a short explanation of titles can be found at the end
- some mil leaders have an explanation of their duty with them

List of Ethiopian leaders

Ministers, pre-war

Head of State: Haile Selassie I.
Head of Government: Imru (1935 appointed regent)
Foreign Minister: Herouy Wolde Selassie
Armaments Minister: Herouy Wolde Selassie?
Minister of Security: Haile
Minister of Intelligence: Haile Selassie I.?
Chief of Staff: Mulugueta (Minister of War)
Chief of Army: Mangasha Yilma (director general in warministry)
Chief of Navy: n/a
Chief of Air: John "Brown Condor" Robinson

Ministers, post-war

Head of State: Haile Selassie I.
Head of Government: Makonnen Endelkatchew from 1942/liberation on
Foreign Minister: Lorenzo Taezaz, 1941-June 1943
Armaments Minister: Wolde Giorgis
Minister of Security: Kifle
Minister of Intelligence: Lorenzo Taezaz
Chief of Staff: Merid Mangasha
Chief of Army: Abiye Abebe?
Chief of Navy: n/a
Chief of Air:

additional and possible politicians:

-Gabre Maskal, post+pre-war he was the wireless operator of the ethiopian troops, intelligence?
- Haile, Haile Selassie´s represantative in the north 40-41
-Imru also would be a possible communist, the dergue gave him a state funeral, son became PM
-Andargatchew Messai, elder statesman, representative to eritrea, possible foreign Min?
- Haile Selassie Gugsa, sided with italians, possible member of a fascist cabinet
- Hailu, chief collaborator with the italians, possible member of a fascist cabinet
-Azaz Kebbede Tessema, important burocrat after the war, 1960 Chief of Staff
-Latibelu Gabre, important post-war senator
-Makonnen Desta, highly educated man, editor of a progr. newspaper, ?minister in post-war government
-Makonnen Endelkatchew also was Minister of the Interior after liberation
-Makonnen Haptewold, Director of Commerce at the invasion
- Mangasha Wube, President of the Senate 1946
- Nasibu Emmanuel, big helper of Selassie´s in modernizing Ethiopia, possible armaments min?
-Tafere Worq Kidane Wold, Selassies Secretary and minister of the Pen, so possible head of state?
-Wolde Giorgis, Minister of the Pen 1941-55
-Wolde Tsaddik, President of the provisional goverment after the emperors flight
- Yigezu Behapte, 1918 minister of commerce
-Mered Azmatch Asfa Wossen, the Crown Prince
-Johannes, was offered to be Negus by the Italians, so fascist Head of State
- Italians actually tried to BUY Haile Selassie I. to keep the Ras´calm, event? If yes, Head of State?

Military:

-Haile Selassie I., FM, 2
-Desta Damtew, FM, 2
-Kassa, most respected noble, FM, 1
-Seyum, FM, 2

-Imru, general, 1
-Adafrisau, Commander of the imperial guard, general, 1
-Fikremariam, commander of the crownprince´s guard, General, 2
- Haile Kebbede, commander of the army of wag, general, 1
-Kenyaz Mokria, Commander Imperial Guard in 1934 and 1941, general, 1
-Mesfin Sileshi, commander of the modernized guards and later resistance leader, general, 2
-Mulugueta, general, 1

-Aman Andom, Commander of 3rd Division, lt-gen, 1,
-Shifferaw, lt-gen, 1
-Wondossen Kassa, distinguished war leader in anchim, lt-gen, 2
-Abiye Abebe, lt.gen, 1
-Haile Selassie Gugsa, traitor!, lt-gen, 1
-Latibelu Gabre, commander of a column in Mai Ceu, lt-gen, 1
-Mangasha Wube, commander of last reserve army, lt-gen, 1
-Balcha, commander of artillery in 1896/Adowa, lt-gen, oldguard, 1
-Birru Wolde Gabriel, lt-gen, 1

-Gabremariam, lt-gen, oldguard, 2
-Essayas Gabre Selassie, commander cadet battalion, mj-gen, 1
-Abebe Aregai, patriot leader in shoa, mj-gen., 2
-Abebe Damtew, shoan war leader, mj-gen., 1
-Aberra Kassa, shoan war leader, mj-gen, 1
-Auraris, leader of resistance in menz, mj-gen, 1
-Getachew Abate, commander of a column in Mai Ceu, mj.-gen., 1
-Kebbede Mangasha Atikim, mj-gen, 1, def.doc.
-Mangasha Yilma, general, 1
-Wubneh Amoraw, guerilla leader, mj-gen 1
-Makonnen Demissie, mj-gen, 1
-Ayalew Birru, mj-gen, 2
- Asfawossen Kassa, mj-gen, 1
-Asrate Kassa, mj-gen, 2
-Beiene Merid, mj-gen, 1
-Azaz Kebbede Tessema, mj-gen, 2
-Yasu, mj-gen, 1

- John "Brown Condor" Robinson, air-guy,1

generic names: (mostly from governors)

Hapte Mariam
Kassa Shebat
Aberra Tedla
Admassu Birru
Amde Ali
Gabremehdin
Gabre Hiwolt Mikael
Hapte Mariam Gabre Egziabher
Hapte Mikael
Makonnen Wossene
Kassa Sebhat
Mashasha Wolde
Wanderat
Gurassu Duke
Belai Zelleka

used titles:

Ras - Head of an Army (mil) or Prince (civ)
Dejaz - Commander of the Threshold
Fitaurari - Commander of the Advance Guard
Bitwoded - Beloved - Chief Counsellor
Blattengueta - Master of Pages, Chief Administrator of the Palace
Lij - (young) prince
Tsehafe Taezaz - Minister of the Pen

Last edited:
Sykonurse could you remove the titles when possible (i.e. only the personal name and the family name)? This was a principle used during the beta so it would be good to stick with it.
Long names will cause problems. Blattengueta Herouy Wolde Selassie is not going to fit in the text boxes.

it cant always be ethiopia

U.S.-Liberian relations became closer after the United States entered World War II (1939-1945). In 1942 the republic agreed to allow U.S. troops to be based in the country despite the fact that Liberia did not declare war on the Axis powers until 1944. In 1945 Liberia became one of the original member states of the United Nations.

found this here

also this appears to be interesting. about training of liberian forces etc.

okay, another one:

If Ethiopia conquers Asmara or Italian Somaliland (maybe even a Vichy-Djibouti): lots of rifles, guns, mortars, uniforms and even one or the other armoured car would fall into their hands -> they would almost immediately be able to field fresh militia units or to upgrade the existing divisions to regular infantry.

Ethiopia has a lot of manpower which imo is perfectly okay. The units they fielded just couldn´t be properly armed.

(for instance Dejaz Haile Kebbede and his Army of the Wag counted 10.000 man- 1/6 of them had a rifle; whole army had 3 machineguns...rest was armed with swords and such...
Ras Mulugueta came up with 70.000-80.000 men, 400 machineguns, 10 cannons and a few Oerlikon-AAguns that were transported on mules....good numbers-shitty armament)

The problem now is solved by only having 1 small unit of the Imperial Guard (perfectly alright, they were properly trained and armed) being Infantry. The rest is only Militia. ICwise I don´t even try to build Infantry as it takes ages...

back to the starting point. If Ethiopia conquered european colonies they´d get the needed material:
so if this condition is met, how about placing almost ready built Infantry into the production cue and subtracting the needed manpower from the pool?

and/or

trade event possibility:

almost all trade came by train from Djibouti. As long as France has not fallen, the allies would be able to send arms and supplies to Abyssinia. (as they actually did before the war broke out in oct35, even though Italy protested)
even Germany almost sold 300 Panzerkampfwagen (don´t ask me which series, PzKpfwg I prolly) to Ethiopia on credit, denying the trade offer upon Italian protests when the war broke out (I sense another cool event here :cool: ).

obviously it´s not an option to give techs to Ethiopia as they couldn´t manufacture rifles etc. themselves, so I think an armament of Ethiopia could be included by putting units into the production cue.

IF all this were being made into events (which I can´t) Ethiopia would have to start with fewer units in field to balance the situation out again.

Also the Infra needs to be lowered in all provinces but the capital.
Read a shweet episode about them stopping a line of tanks by rolling rocks onto the "road"...rest was a swordjob (Highlander anyone?
;) )

well, why would you put units into the bulding queue and substract manpower? let the player do that, no? ;)

about the trade, if you don't give them the proper tech, they will not be able to build "top of the line" units, simulating the buying of equipment, they will make the useless units that they could build with their crappy tech. :(
Probably we will have a solution on the next patch, but nothing is sure... :(

Originally posted by Generalisimo
well, why would you put units into the bulding queue and substract manpower? let the player do that, no? ;)

nah, I meant half-ready units in the cue. so that they only take a few weeks and not ages to be finished. like italy has ships in the production cue from the beginning, i think at least one of them is ready really soon...and they also cost only 1 IC

Probably we will have a solution on the next patch, but nothing is sure... :(
ya? tell me more!

it´s an ENG event but still related to ETH basically.
comment, pls :)

####################################################################
# XXXXX5 - (ENG) Haile Selassie I. has left the country
####################################################################

event = {
id = XXXXX5
random = no
country = ENG

trigger = {
NOT = {
exists = ETH
}

}

name "Haile Selassie I. fled to London!"
desc "As the Italians entered the capital Addis Abeba the Emperor had already left his country. He fled to Jerusalem first, then moved on to his London exile where he was hardly welcome. Many people criticised his move to leave the country but his main purpose was to appeal to the League of Nations again. In a speech in Geneva his conclusion was that if force was allowed to triumph over the Covenant, then the collective security of small states was threatened. Historically at this point the League of Nations became insignificant."

style = 0

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1936 }
offset = 10 # depends on circumstances
deathdate = { day = 30 month = december year = 1947 }

action_a = {
name = "Okay"

}
}

No effect of the speech??? A choice between a loss of DI for UK and threatening Italy to leave Ethiopia perhaps ? Something should be possible to do shouldn't it?

you´re right, yes it should. :)
option a: don´t provoke war
effect: -3 DI;

option b: threaten Italy
effect: hm yes what?

gimme hints. in the first place i left it like that to have it in at least. now where does it lead...?

historically the League of Nations set up a minor embargo that didnt exactly hurt Italy. a penalty could be like -250 supplies or so.
this event again could make up for a whole series of events, gimme your ideas!

how about a follow up to the Haile Selassie fled to London event like this:

event1:
ITA gets the choice
a) bribe Haile Selassie with 1 million pounds and the title of a province governor (historical option) ->event2
b) Haile who? -> nothing

event2:
a) Haile Selassie declines (historical option) -> nothing/-1DI
b) Haile Selassie accepts -> sleep freedom fighter events

problem is, ENG player would have the choice about the outcome; maybe these could be AI-only events to solve that.