• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
speed said:
Hi,

glad to hear that these things will be sorted out. So many things have improved with Free France / Vichy that it's already great. I am currently playing with Germany and I had the intervention event that just happened. Even for a human player it is a real nightmare to move troops in Tunisia, I even lost 4 divisions there. The solution might be to add Tunis and the south of Tunisia (can't remember the name of the province) to Germany like when you annex a country. Germany could then put troops there like it does in Norway without having a land link. The problem is that without transports in Marseille or in the Balkans it's impossible, so the solution is may be the annexation of Tunisia by Germany. I also think that to make the battle of tunisia last a bit longer an event could propose an increase of land fortress to germany in exchange of supplies. 2 mot divisions don't have a single chance in front of 10-12 french divisions from algers.

By the way I think that Free France is lacking transports or should build more because they seem to be stuck in Africa for ever.

Bye. Speed.

I've been trying with GER controlling all of Tunisia and still having problems getting the add_division command to work - can't even get militia in there :wacko: That will be the next thing to try to work out for this whole Vichy chain.

BTW I just had a successful test of transferring interior Libya to the Allies so that issue may be solved
;)

OHgamer said:
I've been trying with GER controlling all of Tunisia and still having problems getting the add_division command to work - can't even get militia in there :wacko: That will be the next thing to try to work out for this whole Vichy chain.

BTW I just had a successful test of transferring interior Libya to the Allies so that issue may be solved
;)

Could the problem be that the Ai still considers Tunisia as Vichy land. I noticed playing Japan that some Vichy troops came from nowhere once it became japanese. That might be another of these weird things that happen with HOI.

speed said:
Could the problem be that the Ai still considers Tunisia as Vichy land. I noticed playing Japan that some Vichy troops came from nowhere once it became japanese. That might be another of these weird things that happen with HOI.

There are the events for the Vichy-Siam war that adds Vichy troops to the region if war breaks out, but that should only happen if Vichy still controls most of Indochina with Japan only controlling the 2 northern ports. If all Indochina is already Japanese should not see any additional Vichy troops coming into Indochina.

OHgamer said:
There are the events for the Vichy-Siam war that adds Vichy troops to the region if war breaks out, but that should only happen if Vichy still controls most of Indochina with Japan only controlling the 2 northern ports. If all Indochina is already Japanese should not see any additional Vichy troops coming into Indochina.

I agree with you on that. The fact is that once I received Indochina everything looked ok, a few days/weeks later (I don't remember) when I looked at the situation there I had 2 Vichy militias AFAIR. They didn't do anything so it wasn't a problem. What I mean by all that is may be that there is some kind of problem somewhere with Vichy or something else that could create a problem with Tunisia. Hope you find the solution.

in old mods Yugoslavia , Greece , Iraq were all paternal autocrats but in new 7.1 they are democratics..what was in real life? im asking because its impossible to declare war upon them with Turkey because of the dissent

bizkit said:
in old mods Yugoslavia , Greece , Iraq were all paternal autocrats but in new 7.1 they are democratics..what was in real life? im asking because its impossible to declare war upon them with Turkey because of the dissent

Most of those changes are done to delay (or in case of Greece - to block) their access to Axis (problem of all earlier mods). And in case of Yugoslavia there was even more reason behind that - I'm pretty sure that Zerli, our main Balkan coordinator can give you much more detailed answer... :)

Allow me to respond here. First, I will explain the current setup of governments in the Balkans based on gameplay issues. As things were in v0.5 and most other mods, Balkans was full of Paternal Autocrat governments. This made them very easy to influence through diplomacy by Axis powers. Essentially, Hungary, Romania, Yugoslavia, and Bulgaria almost always ended up in Axis, and Greece and Turkey joined about half the time. This is both ahistorical and messes up the gameplay by allowing Germany to concentrate on Soviet Union without a fight in the Balkans and allowing Italy to concentrate their entire army in North Africa. Our previous experiences have shown that this leads to a quick collapse of British and French North Africa and a very ahistorical game. Also, the reduced distraction for Germany makes her very formidable against the USSR. Basically, Germany gets PA governments into her camp far too easily, especially since historically their Axis allies were reluctant at best.

To resolve these problems, we changed government types in Balkan countries to match their historical lineup. Mostly, Yugoslavia is still PA but it cannot be diplomatically added to Axis alliance. A set of events was made that prevents this, and this set is based on very strong historical facts. Another set of events allows Germany to pressure Yugoslavia into submission after fall of France, but even in this set the chance of a successful diplomatic alliance between Yugoslavia and Germany is miniscule (less then one percent). War is a far more likely outcome, as history showed.

Greece is another issue. Frankly, Paradox made a mistake in making it PA. While it could be argued that it's Metaxas government was not very democratic, it was strongly leaning towards Allies and against Italian territorial ambitions. Of course, in HoI any PA government is more then likely to join Axis. Therefore, to reduce this ahistorical outcome, we changed the type of government to a more democratic one. When tied with Italian DoW on Greece events, this has the added benefit ot tying up a large portion of Italian army in Greece, where they bog down most of the time. This is a very desirable historical outcome, and it also helps the British in North Africa.

As far as DoW-ing Yugoslavia and Greece, this is handled by a chain of events describing the Balkan campaign in spring of 1941. Generally speaking, if game sticks closely to history in early war (Poland falls, France falls), the German player will get a choice to try and to pursue a Balkan campaign through threatening Yugoslavia. Following this chain with default choices will give you a free, no-dissent-hit DoWs on both Yugoslavia and Greece. In fact, the DoW on Yugoslavia will even reduce your dissent a little if Yugoslav side plays it correctly. If, however, this is not enough for you, and you want to indulge yourself in gobbling Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, and Turkey, you will just have to pay the dissent penalty... :)

Zerli

I've been doing research on Syria and I'm surprised that in CORE Syria has no dissent at the start of the game! During the 30's Syria was a dangerously unstable place. Although the country appeared to be on the verge of peace, true calm evaded Syria. Claims by Turkey to Alexandretta, Arab revolts in Palestine, an economic crisis caused by depreciation of the French franc, and lack of unity among Syrians served to undermine the stability of the Syrian government. The National Bloc was split by rivalries. Abdul Rahman Shahabandar, a leading nationalist, formed a rival organization in 1939 to compete for Syrian political leadership, but he was assassinated a year later. Separatist movements in the Jabal Druze found French support and antagonized the nationalists.

In fact here's a great site on Syria during it's period as a French mandate. It talks about the Syrian province of Alexandretta (Hatay). In HoI it's already part of Turkey ( :wacko: ) but, like with the event for the Polish annexation of Teschen where Aleppo is given a bit more IC (1 or 2) and in July 13, 1939 France has the option to give Alexandretta to Turkey which would lower Aleppo's IC and Gaziantep get's a bit more IC. This would anger the Syrians (more dissent) and would cause a couple of more nasty problems with the abolishment of the Syrian parliament and the resignation of President Atassi. Of Course France should get something out of this aswell as it was THEIR decision.

Semi-Lobster said:
I've been doing research on Syria and I'm surprised that in CORE Syria has no dissent at the start of the game! During the 30's Syria was a dangerously unstable place. Although the country appeared to be on the verge of peace, true calm evaded Syria. Claims by Turkey to Alexandretta, Arab revolts in Palestine, an economic crisis caused by depreciation of the French franc, and lack of unity among Syrians served to undermine the stability of the Syrian government. The National Bloc was split by rivalries. Abdul Rahman Shahabandar, a leading nationalist, formed a rival organization in 1939 to compete for Syrian political leadership, but he was assassinated a year later. Separatist movements in the Jabal Druze found French support and antagonized the nationalists.

In fact here's a great site on Syria during it's period as a French mandate. It talks about the Syrian province of Alexandretta (Hatay). In HoI it's already part of Turkey ( :wacko: ) but, like with the event for the Polish annexation of Teschen where Aleppo is given a bit more IC (1 or 2) and in July 13, 1939 France has the option to give Alexandretta to Turkey which would lower Aleppo's IC and Gaziantep get's a bit more IC. This would anger the Syrians (more dissent) and would cause a couple of more nasty problems with the abolishment of the Syrian parliament and the resignation of President Atassi. Of Course France should get something out of this aswell as it was THEIR decision.

Always had planned to do some events on Hatay but other things in CORE, then Victoria, not to mention private life led the ideas t ofall to the bottom a long list. Sounds like you have some good ideas for events.

OHgamer said:
Always had planned to do some events on Hatay but other things in CORE, then Victoria, not to mention private life led the ideas t ofall to the bottom a long list. Sounds like you have some good ideas for events.

Ironically this event for Syria would be completely out of Syria's control! :D A big problem for the Syrians after having to give up Hatay was the political fallout out of this which completely destablised the government.

Semi-Lobster said:
Ironically this event for Syria would be completely out of Syria's control! :D A big problem for the Syrians after having to give up Hatay was the political fallout out of this which completely destablised the government.

Well Semi-Lobster. You know the drill. Dig up the stuff and Im always willing to help script it. :D

Ghost_dk

Semi-Lobster said:
It's in the link I already gave.

Oki. I will see what I can do with that and then PM you a list of what i intend and we can work something out together. Probably will be a couple of days though as Im a little hung up this weekend.

Ghost_dk

Ghost_dk said:
Oki. I will see what I can do with that and then PM you a list of what i intend and we can work something out together. Probably will be a couple of days though as Im a little hung up this weekend.

Ghost_dk

Well if your hung up don't be in any hurry!

Also.....

Egypt should have territorial claims on Sudan. The Egyptians believed Sudan was part of Egypt and should be 'reunified' with them. In 1946 there where even riots over the issue where British troops even opened fired on a crowd of demonstrators

Semi-Lobster said:
Well if your hung up don't be in any hurry!

Also.....

Egypt should have territorial claims on Sudan. The Egyptians believed Sudan was part of Egypt and should be 'reunified' with them. In 1946 there where even riots over the issue where British troops even opened fired on a crowd of demonstrators

So maybe we should add some post war claims?

Ghost_dk

Ghost_dk said:
So maybe we should add some post war claims?

Ghost_dk

I think 1936 claims. The Egptians had always wanted Sudan and believed it was part of Egypt until for several more decades. Of course they'd never demand until after the war.

Semi-Lobster said:
I think 1936 claims. The Egptians had always wanted Sudan and believed it was part of Egypt until for several more decades. Of course they'd never demand until after the war.

Yes and because they wouldn't demand it we should add them post war, because you can be sure that the ai will try.

Ghost_dk

Just a quick comment about the Persia events,

Had a rather silly situation before when playing USSR on normal,
I'd defeated Germany in 1942, and decided to DoW Persia as part of my world conquest plans,

Took some of Persia, and suddenly it's one of the Allies, & I'm kicked out and back at peace...

Perhaps the "Allies establish Dominance over Persia" events should be slept, and only woken if the appropriate event chain is followed (Ie. The allies follow through and actually DoW Persia.)

Seems a little silly of a neutral Persia to be invaded by the Soviets, and as a consequence of losing the war, join the allies and DoW a non-existant Germany! :rofl:

Gezeder