• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wrote my first event mod - the British intervention in Egypt in 1942 - but I seem to be missing something as I can not get the event to fire. If anyone wants to take a gander at this and point out errors I'd appreciate it. Note, I have created a separate Egypt nation that is not a puppet, but allows England military access. It has a paternal autocratic government and its alignment is moderately democratic leaning towards fascism. Egypt starts as neutral but I have it declare war on the Axis when Britain declares war so as to encourage the Italians or Germans to invade Egypt (not completely correct historically as the Egyptian government was a neutral until Feb 1945 even in spite of the Axis invasions). Province 1090 is Matruh, Province 1206 is El Arish (the Sinai Peninsula). Also, would I require an event in the UK events file to "trigger" this event or should it just trigger on its own once all the necessary conditions are met ?

#########################################################################
# Abdin Palace Coup - Italian invasion
event = {
id = 25050
random = no
country = EGY
trigger = {
war = { country = ITA country EGY }
owned = { province = 1090 data = ITA }
}
name = "Abdin Palace Coup"
desc = "Fearing Faruq will join the Axis, the British demand he form a pro-British government"
style = 0

Date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1937 }
Offset = 4
Deathdate = { day 30 month = december year = 1947 }

action_a = {
name = "Accept" # Accept British Demands and form Wafd government
command = { type = headofstate which = 96021 }
command = { type = headofgovernment which = 96022 }
command = { type = foreignminister which = 96023 }
command = { type = armamentminister which = 96024 }
command = { type = ministerofsecurity which = 96025 }
command = { type = ministerofintelligence which = 96006 }
command = { type = chiefofstaff which = 96007 }
command = { type = chiefofarmy which = 96008 }
command = { type = chiefofnavy which = 96009 }
command = { type = chiefofair which = 96010 }
command = { type = alliance which = ENG }
}
action_b = {
name = "Refuse" # End British Domination Of Egypt and join the Axis
command = { type = end_access which = ENG }
command = { type = peace which = ITA value = 0 }
command = { type = war which = ENG }
command = { type = alliance which = ITA }
command = { type = dissent value = 20 }
}
}

# Abdin Palace Coup - German invasion West
event = {
id = 25051
random = no
country = EGY

trigger = {
war = { country = GER country EGY }
owned = { province = 1090 data = GER }
}

desc = "Fearing Faruq will join the Axis, the British demand he form a pro-British government"
style = 0

Offset = 4

action_a = {
}
action_b = {
command = { type = peace which = GER value = 0 }
command = { type = alliance which = GER }
}
}

# Abdin Palace Coup - German invasion East
event = {
id = 25052
random = no
country = EGY

trigger = {
war = { country = GER country EGY }
owned = { province = 1206 data = GER }
}

style = 0

Offset = 4

action_a = {
}
action_b = {
command = { type = peace which = GER value = 0 }
command = { type = alliance which = GER }
}
}

Hi OHgamer,

This is the problem:

war = { country = ITA country EGY }

should be

war = { country = ITA country = EGY }

should be

Deathdate = { day = 30 month = december year = 1947 }

in the 3 events...

Try it and if you can't get it to work please come back in the CORE Events Writing Help Desk thread with the updated copy of the event... I'll have another look at it...

Extro :)

Nice events. :)

But remember that this thread falls under the middle east region. So please use the IDs allocated for this in the treasury.

OK I made the changes in syntax and have made the IDs sync with CORE but it is still not firing. I am posting the revised, yet problematic, events in the writiing aid section as suggested. When I get it finished I will post the final versions here.

Originally posted by Generalisimo
owned = { province = 1090 data = ITA }

does this province starts as italian? (i do not know which province is...)
if not, replace "owned" with "control".

;)

Aha! that might be it - I tried earlier today and still couldn't get it to fire - that might be the problem. Will try it tomorrow.

Event for Independent Egypt

After several attempts I finally got this series of events to work.

The background : neutral, independent Egypt that allows military access to England. England controls Suez, Sidi Barrani and Matruh (with Egypt having a territorial claim). If the Italians seize Matruh from the British, 4 days later this event triggers, forcing Egypt to take a side in the conflict. Event based on British ultimatum to King Frauq in Feb 1942, surrounding his palace, the Abdin Palace in Cairo, with tanks and demanding he form a pro-British government. There were many high ranking Egyptian officials who sympathized with the Axis and while in reality Faruq did cave in to the British, the potential that he might try to fight the English did exist. Interestingly Egypt still remained technically neutral until Feb 1945, but there is no easy way to illustrate the role Egypt would play if it remained a neutral in HOI.

I have also created this event in case of a German occupation of Matruh (in case the Italian AI gets too lazy or incompetent) which I have not tested (since the invasions come from Libya the province defaults to Italy) but should work as well as the Italian. Just replace GER for ITA in it and add 1 to the ID number. I have reedited codes for the CORE project numbers (at least those I could figure) and would recommend any suggestions on how to improve this event or to correct any ID numbers I may have figured out wrong.

# Abdin Palace Coup
event = {
id = 902050
random = no
country = EGY

trigger = {
control = { province = 1090 data = ITA }
}

desc = "Fearing King Faruq will join the Axis, the British surround his palace and demand he form a pro-British government"
style = 0

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1937 }
offset = 4
deathdate = { day = 30 month = december year = 1947 }

action_a = {
name = "Accept" # Accept British Demands and form pro-British government
command = { type = headofstate which = 9621 }
command = { type = headofgovernment which = 9622 }
command = { type = foreignminister which = 9623 }
command = { type = armamentminister which = 9624 }
command = { type = ministerofsecurity which = 9625 }
command = { type = ministerofintelligence which = 9606 }
command = { type = chiefofstaff which = 9607 }
command = { type = chiefofarmy which = 9608 }
command = { type = chiefofnavy which = 9609 }
command = { type = chiefofair which = 9610 }
}

action_b = {
command = { type = alliance which = ITA }
}
}

I have also pretty much finished creating the Independent Egypt mod for the '36 scenario. If anyone would like a copy please feel free to ask. (it isn't alot of files).

sorry to ask, but why a totally independent Egypt?? which what purpose? :confused:

:)

Because Egypt, contrary to how it is pictured in HoI, was not simply a colony of Britain by the end of 1936. Its status was similar to Iraq in this era, allowed the British military access but had complete control over its own internal affairs and a degree of control over foreign affairs - Egypt became a member of the League of Nations in 1936 and had ambassadors in several countries by the time war broke out in 1939. In fact the 1936 Anglo-Egyptian treaty reserved for the English only a limited role in the nation directly - control of the Suez Canal, access to Egyptian installations in times of war, joint control with Egypt over the Sudan. The English ambassador did weild a great deal of influence in Egypt to be sure, but it took a British general actually surrounding the Palace in '42 to get the king to act more in the defense of Egypt from the Axis and even then Egypt did not declare war until '45. So to have Egypt simply be a colony of Britain is historically quite inaccurate and hence my decision to create an independent Egypt mod. If Iraq is going to be independent in this period then Egypt must be considered the same as by the end of 1936 they both had the same status in terms of their relationship to England. The same could also be said for French control in Syria and Lebanon in this era as well as the French goverments also worked to create similar regimes in which the French had influence, but not direct control, and that will be one of my future projects. As I like to play HoI as an alternative history game, having the potential for Egypt, Syria and Iraq actually turning Axis, thereby severely disrupting the Allied lines from Britain to India, is a fun challenge that represents distinct historical possibilities at that time. HoI in its original form is very shaky on the Near East (and other non-Western regions as a whole), so I am working on mods to rectify that, if for my own satisfaction.

Last edited:
I think a more independant middle east is a good idea.

Maybe then the Italians won't take over the area as they do in nearly every game I've played.

Originally posted by OHgamer
Because Egypt, contrary to how it is pictured in HoI, was not simply a colony of Egypt by the end of 1936. Its status was similar to Iraq in this era, allowed the British military access but had complete control over its own internal affairs and a degree of control over foreign affairs - Egypt became a member of the League of Nations in 1936 and had ambassadors in several countries by the time war broke out in 1939. In fact the 1936 Anglo-Egyptian treaty reserved for the English only a limited role in the nation directly - control of the Suez Canal, access to Egyptian installations in times of war, joint control with Egypt over the Sudan. The English ambassador did weild a great deal of influence in Egypt to be sure, but it took a British general actually surrounding the Palace in '42 to get the king to act more in the defense of Egypt from the Axis and even then Egypt did not declare war until '45. So to have Egypt simply be a colony of Britain is historically quite inaccurate and hence my decision to create an independent Egypt mod. If Iraq is going to be independent in this period then Egypt must be considered the same as by the end of 1936 they both had the same status in terms of their relationship to England. The same could also be said for French control in Syria and Lebanon in this era as well as the French goverments also worked to create similar regimes in which the French had influence, but not direct control, and that will be one of my future projects. As I like to play HoI as an alternative history game, having the potential for Egypt, Syria and Iraq actually turning Axis, thereby severely disrupting the Allied lines from Britain to India, is a fun challenge that represents distinct historical possibilities at that time. HoI in its original form is very shaky on the Near East (and other non-Western regions as a whole), so I am working on mods to rectify that, if for my own satisfaction.
thanks for the info. :D
well, the english kept the Suez Channel in your mod?
you have created leaders and ministers for Egypt?
do you have your mod for donwload in somewhere?
if not, can you send me the leaders/minister/events files to my email? (zipped please :D)
generalisimo_arg@hotmail.com
the more people that test that, the better.

:D

Last edited:
The only thing that bothers me about an independent egypt, is Egypt is empty of ANY resources. I mean, even if they don't have any resources, we should place some SOMEWHERE, so they can produce at least something.

To keep the board clean I'm trying to move a discussion that started in the Bitter Peace thread into this thread, where it belongs... See that thread for the rest...

how much the Lebensraum included?

also, could had been that the germans set up an Azerabaijan puppet in that zone? :confused:
another puppet? Belarus? something like that? :confused:

Well Azerbaijan does have a tag. And my BLII events do set it up as a German puppet. I do think, perhaps, that there could be an event where if Azerbaijan is a German ally the Germans can force their Iranian allies to secede Persian Azerbaijan to them... I dunno if this would be choice A or B.

Perhaps a set of events for Armenia are justified as well. Axis Iran and Axis Turkey could lose territory in the Caucasus only to gain territory in Iraq, Cyprus, Pakistan or Turkmenistan, etc.

Either way this stuff is now officially off topic. I'll copy/paste this post in the Middle East thread so it can be continued there... :)

Originally posted by Burris
The only thing that bothers me about an independent egypt, is Egypt is empty of ANY resources. I mean, even if they don't have any resources, we should place some SOMEWHERE, so they can produce at least something.

In the mod that I am making for Egypt, I have added resources to the various provinces so that Egypt can be active. One thing that HoI doesn't do well is economy, need to have some sort of ag export other than that could be traded on the world market for other resources. Barrng that, I give Egypt some coal, some oil and some steel (a bit less than Turkey) and IC and Manpower similar to Turkey. The changes are made in the province csv file.

Other events needed:

Britain going to war with Syria (It might have to change it's status to puppet) over Germany using its airspace to help Iraq.

Which leads to another event needed, the Iraqi coup.

Originally posted by Burris
Other events needed:

Britain going to war with Syria (It might have to change it's status to puppet) over Germany using its airspace to help Iraq.

Which leads to another event needed, the Iraqi coup.

My next project after getting Egypt shaped up is fix up Iraq. I think another major problem is the puppet function - it is too strong to reflect the reality of countries like Iraq, Egypt or Syria in the 1930s - the British and French did not just extract all wealth at will.

Originally posted by OHgamer
My next project after getting Egypt shaped up is fix up Iraq. I think another major problem is the puppet function - it is too strong to reflect the reality of countries like Iraq, Egypt or Syria in the 1930s - the British and French did not just extract all wealth at will.
have you added minister and leaders for Egypt? or just the "shadows" men?

have you added minister and leaders for Egypt? or just the "shadows" men?

I have the main ministers names, though not pictures (yet) - have not found info on leaders of the Egyptian military yet, so have created some Arab names, and used some of the leaders of the 1952 coup as well (Naguib was a midlevel officer and al-Nasir and Sadat were junior officers). Still working out some fine points and if I have time in the weekend hope to be able to call it "finished" in its first incarnation (still trying to find info on far right and far left parties - will prob use the Muslim Brotherhood (an early Islamic Fundamentalist movement) for the far right and there is a good work on the Egyptian communist party I am trying to get a copy of for the far left).

Adapt the Arab names to all the mid east countries.

Im so sick of Afghan generals named:

LORD WELLINGHAM OF KABUL.

ALSO, I have finished adding Zahir Shah (King of Afghanistan) as a general.

Name;ID;Country;Rank;Traits;Skill;Experience;Loyalty;Type;Picture;x
Shah;128001;AFG;0;2;2;0;3;0;zahir_mohammed_afg;x;x

AND

# The Afghan Bank Founded
event = {
id = 8881
random = no
country = AFG

name = "The Afghan Bank and Modernisation"
desc = "Seeing the need for modernisation to advance the Afghan state, on March 24th, 1938 the bank of Afghanistan was founded, centralising the countries currency and greatly

organising the economy. This did have a negative effect though. It served to increase dissent among the Conservative Islamic groups, who wished for the country to remain closed off, unlike

Mohammed Zahir Shah."

date = { day = 24 month = march year = 1938 }
offset = 1

action_a = {
name = "Create the Afghanistan Bank"
command = { type = industry which = 1408 value = 1 }
command = { type = industry which = 1419 value = 1 }
command = { type = industry which = 1420 value = 1 }
command = { type = industry which = 1421 value = 1 }
command = { type = industry which = 1437 value = 1 }
command = { type = dissent value = 10 }
}
action_b = {
name = "No need for more civil strife"
command = { type = dissent value = -10 }
}
}

Also, I plan on changing all Saudi infantry to Cavalry to represent the fact almost the entire army was Camel Riding.

Last edited: