• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quick follow up to this idea. There is a significant advantage (dissent reduction, IC added, etc.) for the German player to accept the Navy build plan, accept a full build sequence (building all sizes and types). What then stops a player from accepting all of these to get the extra IC, reduction in dissent, etc and then simply cancel the items in their build query? Is it possible to place a penalty on the player if the abandon these builds sometime in the future? To me it seems rational that the country or at least the military would be slightly upset if the gov accepted their build strategy only to cancel it once it is in place.

Not sure if this is possible or not but I would propose some sort of dissent hit or a loss of IC for the cancelation of the ships if the Plan Z was accepted. This would at least counter the positives from accepting the plan in the first place.

Bigcat said:
Quick follow up to this idea. There is a significant advantage (dissent reduction, IC added, etc.) for the German player to accept the Navy build plan, accept a full build sequence (building all sizes and types). What then stops a player from accepting all of these to get the extra IC, reduction in dissent, etc and then simply cancel the items in their build query? Is it possible to place a penalty on the player if the abandon these builds sometime in the future? To me it seems rational that the country or at least the military would be slightly upset if the gov accepted their build strategy only to cancel it once it is in place.

Not sure if this is possible or not but I would propose some sort of dissent hit or a loss of IC for the cancelation of the ships if the Plan Z was accepted. This would at least counter the positives from accepting the plan in the first place.

Actually, a lot of what you would like to avoid, really happened. It was one of the reasons Raeder quit/got sacked in 41. The switch from a surface fleet to a heavy submarine focus caused the final rift between Raeder and the rest of the German high command structure, and brought Donitz in to succeed him. So, after umplementing the plan, what a player does is entirely up to him.

Right I completely agree but it seems as if there is nothing in place to represent what would happen if the plan was implemented and then completely removed. As JRaup mentioned there were rifts that began or widened in the German high command following the desicion to move to a smaller surface fleet and focus more on sub warfare. Obviously reprecussions were felt throughout the whole of Germany following this and I think that this same senario can be played out in HOI without any consequences to the player.

Just my 2cents worth though. I am not even sure this is really worth looking into, just a small exploit IMO that should probably be self managed by players.

Germany in v.9

I have played (started and quit) 2 games now as Germany in version .9. The reason I have quit each game is because the same screwy event takes place. Soon after the March 1939 "partition Czechoslovakia" event, Poland and Lithuania go to war. Russia sides with Lithuania. Poland joins the Allies right on schedule, so Russia and the Allies are now at war. By the August 1939, Poland has been annexed by Russia. Russian troops are one province away from Berlin and now I am in a very disadvantageous position.

Is this a new hard-coded event for v.9 or am I encountering a freak accident each game?

That's the Polish-Lithuanian Crisis event. Poland has to choose an A choice (chance 95%) and Lithuanian has to choose a B choice (chance 5%) so there's only a 4.75% chance of seeing this war each game, unless the event's been altered. The problem with the SOV-POL war is that the SOV Sphere of Influence event, to stop other countries taking out LIT, deactivates if Lithuania refuses the German demand for Memel in March 1939, but it will happily trigger on a POL-LIT war due to the Polish-Lithuanian Crisis. On the plus side, if the USSR stays at war with the Allies, they'll probably DOW you much later than normal; probably only early 1943.

Permanganate said:
That's the Polish-Lithuanian Crisis event. Poland has to choose an A choice (chance 95%) and Lithuanian has to choose a B choice (chance 5%) so there's only a 4.75% chance of seeing this war each game, unless the event's been altered. The problem with the SOV-POL war is that the SOV Sphere of Influence event, to stop other countries taking out LIT, deactivates if Lithuania refuses the German demand for Memel in March 1939, but it will happily trigger on a POL-LIT war due to the Polish-Lithuanian Crisis. On the plus side, if the USSR stays at war with the Allies, they'll probably DOW you much later than normal; probably only early 1943.

So you are saying that I should buy a lottery ticket since I hit a 4.75% chance two for two!

Also, while the USSR will attack me later, their army is already 95% of the way to the finish line. a.k.a. Berlin.

dan59102 said:
So you are saying that I should buy a lottery ticket since I hit a 4.75% chance two for two!

Yes, you did. There's a 0.23% chance of that. :)

dan59102 said:
Also, while the USSR will attack me later, their army is already 95% of the way to the finish line. a.k.a. Berlin.

Added opoortunities for encirclement without those damn Pripet Marshes in the way! :)

Ok, after something like 4 seperate games in .91, Ive come to the conclusion that CORE's events make it impossible to annex the Soviet Union. The first game, I set up Vlasov in a new Russian state, and then I got to puppet it, but not annex it. Then I tried what Ive found doesnt work. (At least, I dont think it does.) The bitter peace you can offer the Soviets is bugged methinks. I offered them peace if they would cede all the territory west of the Urals to be under my sphere of influence, and to garuntee independence to the new nations there. (I also used the Rosenberg plan thingie where you grant independence to the minor countries as you go along.) The first time I did this, the territorys worked, but Russia would never cancel my military access, making me unable to declare war again. This time, not five minutes ago, I had panzers rolling down the transiberian railway, and gave them bitter peace for some time to regroup. No biggie. This time, it ceded EVERYTHING but the independent nations back to Russia. Oh, and right on schedule, the revocation of military access event came up, and did zilch. I still have access, once again borking my ability to redeclare war.

This is getting frustrating. Any suggestions?

Hitler plot 44

Playing Core .84 I didnt remember an event for the bomb plot of 1944. There is one?

Another thing: Choltiz should have fortress buster skill, after all Choltiz's most efective action was against the fortifications of Sebastopol. Also later he command Paris fortress. (By 1940 he was Lt Col, so mayby he should start as Mj General but with more experience)

Diego EV said:
Playing Core .84 I didnt remember an event for the bomb plot of 1944. There is one?

Yes, the event is actually in vanilla. If GER has 15+% dissent (25+% in vanilla) from mid-1944 onward, there's a chance of getting either the succeeded or failed bomb plot events. It's slightly more likely that the bomb plot will fail, and either possible event gives you a big whack of dissent in addition to what you already have, plus it kills loads of your leaders and ministers. I recommend avoiding both like the plague unless you really want a shot at Adolf.

MrYenko said:
Ok, after something like 4 seperate games in .91, Ive come to the conclusion that CORE's events make it impossible to annex the Soviet Union....
This is getting frustrating. Any suggestions?

The two alternate history options for occupation policy give you various Russian and ethnic minority states . The historic one is the only one where you can completely annex the land. However, it has some large disadvantages, like SOV having no dissent problems and no helpful manpower or recruitment from most ethnic minorities. Even with those drawbacks it isn't very hard to do; I could generally Extreme Bitter Peace the SOVs in three months, followed by a month of R&R and moving forces up to the new border, followed by another three months to Irkutsk and a quick annex.

Permanganate said:
Yes, the event is actually in vanilla. If GER has 15+% dissent (25+% in vanilla) from mid-1944 onward, there's a chance of getting either the succeeded or failed bomb plot events. It's slightly more likely that the bomb plot will fail, and either possible event gives you a big whack of dissent in addition to what you already have, plus it kills loads of your leaders and ministers. I recommend avoiding both like the plague unless you really want a shot at Adolf.

Well, if is so rare and so bad then could be modified. For example an event in early 44 gives you the option to start a plot against Hitler. If you acept you take the risk to fail and lose leaders and increse disent. But if you have sucess the Hitler is removed by a military coup, and you recive some kind of bonus in exchange, like better military leadership or something like that or the chance to make peace with the allies, for example.

Well I see one serious problem with modifying the coup attempt event the way you suggest. At the time the event set in historically and in the files Germany is already starting to loose. The allies knew that the german manpower had to be severely strained to say the least so I dont think they would have accepted anything but an unconditional surrender from Germany at that point and such would really make the event useless for a German player.

Diego EV said:
Yeap, thats true. But that is asuming that all hapening historically. If you play as Germany by 1944 probably you are wining the war...

Do you think the Generals would be unhappy about winning :D

Just a couple concerns... I'm not sure if some of these might be my fault, but...

Playing as Germany (twice) in 0.91... quite a lot of the technology events after the Spanish Civil War seem to be giving techs I already have. Not sure if this is due to me researching faster or having them at scenario start, but it's something to look into, I think. (Edit: I checked... it seems a lot of this was due to faster research, but the Volkswagen even gives tech 4400, which is also in research queue at game-start, and the naval events give 6411-6413 which are already researched at game-start.)

Also, in my second game, Czechoslovakia refused Sudetenland and I kept the peace, Russia went agressive and took out Poland, etcetera (I jumped in early enough to grab just Danzig)... resulting in Germany being at peace until spring of '41 (when I got resteless and invaded Belgium and then France). However, the naval construction events in '40 seemed to be assuming that war had already begun, possibly because Italy was running around in Greece? I'm not sure, but again, something that should perhaps be looked into.

Also, I seemed to run out of resources - especially oil - much sooner than I experience in vanilla, even with less motorized units. I think this is because the conversion techs have been pushed much later in the tech chain. Am I right? It ended up making it difficult for my Eastern front to even get as far as Smolensk and Odessa, even though I was using only 16 panzer divisions (IM-75 type), I think 40 motorized and 20 or so mech... while in vanilla I usually use 25-30 panzers or so and more mech also.

Edit: In my third game I puppetted Czechoslovakia for the extra tank techs (having checked the event file), and since Slavkov is a national province, Czechoslovakia wound up with two seperate landlocked territories, and neither the Czechs or myself could use the resources stockpiled in their eastern areas. I'd suggest adding the creation of one of those inland convoys to the event, or else removing German claims on Slavkov.

I also noticed that there is no mechanism for gaining those tank techs if you don't puppet Czechoslovakia; is there any reason Germany would not get them when annexing western Czechoslovakia - as they do in the spring '39 event if they choose to set up Tiso or partition with Hungary? (I added them to those events as a temporary measure.) In fact, assuming Czechoslovakia has those techs, is there any reason that their conquerors would not be able to get them upon conquest?

Last edited:
A silly question here.
I occupy all of USSR west of the line Stalingrand-Moscow-Leningrand and I have to occupy the remaining territory west of the Urals where the infrastructure is quite low (20 or lower). I get massive losses due to attrition in my huge stacks of troops and my divisions are decimated with firing a single shot :wacko: . Is there a remedy to this?

Thanks in advance!