• Hearts of Iron IV Survey

    Help us make HoI IV better by sharing your experiences in this 5 minute survey


  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

    The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.


    Real Strategy Requires Cunning

unmerged(34173)

Sergeant
Sep 10, 2004
63
0
Well I am not trying to say that I am planning my strategy around events, I was just looking to get a complete list of events and their dates. Skipping around countries in the game makes it tough to remember what event fires when and should I DOW on a country or will an event do that for me later without the dissent hit. Thanks for the response though, I may have to start working up my own little "cheat sheet" of events.
 

unmerged(13070)

Second Lieutenant
Dec 23, 2002
106
0
Visit site
Kriegsmarine construction question.

I have a question about the triggers for construction of ships when playing as Germany. In early 1938 the option is presented to the German player to begin preparations to build a navy. The first option appears pretty much on schedule, as does the follow on. However, once the player chooses to construct a full size navy, the options to build seem to come very erratically.

Here are the situations I have seen as Germany, choosing the same option to build a navy each game. In game one, I was presented in 1939 with the choice to build full navy, partial navy, only small ships, or no ships. I chose full size and was presented with the same build options regularly at intervals of about 9 months. This went on until I quit the game in 1943. By that time I had a navy of respectable size.

In game two, I again chose the same options to prepare for the construction of a navy. However, in this game, I was never presented with the actual build options. In other words, the game asked me if I wanted to prepare but never game me the option to build. I know I can build the ships on my own (duh!), but my question is; what triggers the game to present the player with the option to build? And, is the building sequence, once begun, on a predictable timeline? If so, what is it?

The only strategic difference between the games is that in game two I invaded and annexed Yugoslavia in 1938, after the first option to prepare for the construction of my navy. After that, no more navy options appeared at all.
 

gzav

Belgian.
60 Badges
May 31, 2002
3.684
0
Visit site
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
Are those events? What version of the game are you playing, and are you using mods?
 

gzav

Belgian.
60 Badges
May 31, 2002
3.684
0
Visit site
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
Then this is CORE business, and as such should be posted in the CORE forum...

*moved
 

Steel

Field Marshal
53 Badges
May 4, 2001
7.689
0
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
The first two events both require that you are at peace. After that the events continue with versions both for peacetime and wartime.
 

unmerged(34173)

Sergeant
Sep 10, 2004
63
0
Quick follow up to this idea. There is a significant advantage (dissent reduction, IC added, etc.) for the German player to accept the Navy build plan, accept a full build sequence (building all sizes and types). What then stops a player from accepting all of these to get the extra IC, reduction in dissent, etc and then simply cancel the items in their build query? Is it possible to place a penalty on the player if the abandon these builds sometime in the future? To me it seems rational that the country or at least the military would be slightly upset if the gov accepted their build strategy only to cancel it once it is in place.

Not sure if this is possible or not but I would propose some sort of dissent hit or a loss of IC for the cancelation of the ships if the Plan Z was accepted. This would at least counter the positives from accepting the plan in the first place.
 

JRaup

Crusty Grognard
23 Badges
Apr 27, 2003
3.472
4
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
Bigcat said:
Quick follow up to this idea. There is a significant advantage (dissent reduction, IC added, etc.) for the German player to accept the Navy build plan, accept a full build sequence (building all sizes and types). What then stops a player from accepting all of these to get the extra IC, reduction in dissent, etc and then simply cancel the items in their build query? Is it possible to place a penalty on the player if the abandon these builds sometime in the future? To me it seems rational that the country or at least the military would be slightly upset if the gov accepted their build strategy only to cancel it once it is in place.

Not sure if this is possible or not but I would propose some sort of dissent hit or a loss of IC for the cancelation of the ships if the Plan Z was accepted. This would at least counter the positives from accepting the plan in the first place.

Actually, a lot of what you would like to avoid, really happened. It was one of the reasons Raeder quit/got sacked in 41. The switch from a surface fleet to a heavy submarine focus caused the final rift between Raeder and the rest of the German high command structure, and brought Donitz in to succeed him. So, after umplementing the plan, what a player does is entirely up to him.
 

unmerged(34173)

Sergeant
Sep 10, 2004
63
0
Right I completely agree but it seems as if there is nothing in place to represent what would happen if the plan was implemented and then completely removed. As JRaup mentioned there were rifts that began or widened in the German high command following the desicion to move to a smaller surface fleet and focus more on sub warfare. Obviously reprecussions were felt throughout the whole of Germany following this and I think that this same senario can be played out in HOI without any consequences to the player.

Just my 2cents worth though. I am not even sure this is really worth looking into, just a small exploit IMO that should probably be self managed by players.
 

unmerged(13070)

Second Lieutenant
Dec 23, 2002
106
0
Visit site
Germany in v.9

I have played (started and quit) 2 games now as Germany in version .9. The reason I have quit each game is because the same screwy event takes place. Soon after the March 1939 "partition Czechoslovakia" event, Poland and Lithuania go to war. Russia sides with Lithuania. Poland joins the Allies right on schedule, so Russia and the Allies are now at war. By the August 1939, Poland has been annexed by Russia. Russian troops are one province away from Berlin and now I am in a very disadvantageous position.

Is this a new hard-coded event for v.9 or am I encountering a freak accident each game?
 

Permanganate

The Gibrataltor
Nov 29, 2004
4.383
0
That's the Polish-Lithuanian Crisis event. Poland has to choose an A choice (chance 95%) and Lithuanian has to choose a B choice (chance 5%) so there's only a 4.75% chance of seeing this war each game, unless the event's been altered. The problem with the SOV-POL war is that the SOV Sphere of Influence event, to stop other countries taking out LIT, deactivates if Lithuania refuses the German demand for Memel in March 1939, but it will happily trigger on a POL-LIT war due to the Polish-Lithuanian Crisis. On the plus side, if the USSR stays at war with the Allies, they'll probably DOW you much later than normal; probably only early 1943.
 

unmerged(13070)

Second Lieutenant
Dec 23, 2002
106
0
Visit site
Permanganate said:
That's the Polish-Lithuanian Crisis event. Poland has to choose an A choice (chance 95%) and Lithuanian has to choose a B choice (chance 5%) so there's only a 4.75% chance of seeing this war each game, unless the event's been altered. The problem with the SOV-POL war is that the SOV Sphere of Influence event, to stop other countries taking out LIT, deactivates if Lithuania refuses the German demand for Memel in March 1939, but it will happily trigger on a POL-LIT war due to the Polish-Lithuanian Crisis. On the plus side, if the USSR stays at war with the Allies, they'll probably DOW you much later than normal; probably only early 1943.


So you are saying that I should buy a lottery ticket since I hit a 4.75% chance two for two!

Also, while the USSR will attack me later, their army is already 95% of the way to the finish line. a.k.a. Berlin.
 

Permanganate

The Gibrataltor
Nov 29, 2004
4.383
0
dan59102 said:
So you are saying that I should buy a lottery ticket since I hit a 4.75% chance two for two!

Yes, you did. There's a 0.23% chance of that. :)

dan59102 said:
Also, while the USSR will attack me later, their army is already 95% of the way to the finish line. a.k.a. Berlin.

Added opoortunities for encirclement without those damn Pripet Marshes in the way! :)
 

MrYenko

Private
14 Badges
Feb 13, 2003
20
0
www.ls6.com
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Ok, after something like 4 seperate games in .91, Ive come to the conclusion that CORE's events make it impossible to annex the Soviet Union. The first game, I set up Vlasov in a new Russian state, and then I got to puppet it, but not annex it. Then I tried what Ive found doesnt work. (At least, I dont think it does.) The bitter peace you can offer the Soviets is bugged methinks. I offered them peace if they would cede all the territory west of the Urals to be under my sphere of influence, and to garuntee independence to the new nations there. (I also used the Rosenberg plan thingie where you grant independence to the minor countries as you go along.) The first time I did this, the territorys worked, but Russia would never cancel my military access, making me unable to declare war again. This time, not five minutes ago, I had panzers rolling down the transiberian railway, and gave them bitter peace for some time to regroup. No biggie. This time, it ceded EVERYTHING but the independent nations back to Russia. Oh, and right on schedule, the revocation of military access event came up, and did zilch. I still have access, once again borking my ability to redeclare war.

This is getting frustrating. Any suggestions?
 

unmerged(26538)

Second Lieutenant
Mar 6, 2004
108
0
Hitler plot 44

Playing Core .84 I didnt remember an event for the bomb plot of 1944. There is one?

Another thing: Choltiz should have fortress buster skill, after all Choltiz's most efective action was against the fortifications of Sebastopol. Also later he command Paris fortress. (By 1940 he was Lt Col, so mayby he should start as Mj General but with more experience)
 

Permanganate

The Gibrataltor
Nov 29, 2004
4.383
0
Diego EV said:
Playing Core .84 I didnt remember an event for the bomb plot of 1944. There is one?

Yes, the event is actually in vanilla. If GER has 15+% dissent (25+% in vanilla) from mid-1944 onward, there's a chance of getting either the succeeded or failed bomb plot events. It's slightly more likely that the bomb plot will fail, and either possible event gives you a big whack of dissent in addition to what you already have, plus it kills loads of your leaders and ministers. I recommend avoiding both like the plague unless you really want a shot at Adolf.

MrYenko said:
Ok, after something like 4 seperate games in .91, Ive come to the conclusion that CORE's events make it impossible to annex the Soviet Union....
This is getting frustrating. Any suggestions?

The two alternate history options for occupation policy give you various Russian and ethnic minority states . The historic one is the only one where you can completely annex the land. However, it has some large disadvantages, like SOV having no dissent problems and no helpful manpower or recruitment from most ethnic minorities. Even with those drawbacks it isn't very hard to do; I could generally Extreme Bitter Peace the SOVs in three months, followed by a month of R&R and moving forces up to the new border, followed by another three months to Irkutsk and a quick annex.
 

unmerged(26538)

Second Lieutenant
Mar 6, 2004
108
0
Permanganate said:
Yes, the event is actually in vanilla. If GER has 15+% dissent (25+% in vanilla) from mid-1944 onward, there's a chance of getting either the succeeded or failed bomb plot events. It's slightly more likely that the bomb plot will fail, and either possible event gives you a big whack of dissent in addition to what you already have, plus it kills loads of your leaders and ministers. I recommend avoiding both like the plague unless you really want a shot at Adolf.

Well, if is so rare and so bad then could be modified. For example an event in early 44 gives you the option to start a plot against Hitler. If you acept you take the risk to fail and lose leaders and increse disent. But if you have sucess the Hitler is removed by a military coup, and you recive some kind of bonus in exchange, like better military leadership or something like that or the chance to make peace with the allies, for example.