• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Steel

Field Marshal
56 Badges
May 4, 2001
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
Asian Theatre of Operations

Ok, some of you may have seen this previously in the mod forum. I've put in a lot of work the last few days but it's still not finished. Your input counts so if you try this package then please let me know of any problems or if you have constructive criticisms about the events validity etc.

EDIT: Removed outdated link. Please use C.O.R.E. download.

EDIT: Removed event outline charts.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll take the job until somebody with better knowledge comes along. Ideally it should really be somebody who can read Japanese-language sources etc.

I plan on posting some event descriptions for Thailand later at the end of the week. I'll leave it to others if they wish to script them.

well, the events looks really good...
also remember these things must be corrected:
-Manpower increasing level of all Asia
-Manpower of Nationalist China
-Manpower of Communist China
-When Communist China gets more provinces (grow stronger) it should take manpower from Nationalist China. For example NC stars with 5000, CC with 500, when CC get more provinces -2000 to NC, +2000 to CC... and so on... I have been working on events like this when CC takes some key provinces but i could not finish it... :(

Originally posted by eriksz0n
is it working on HoI 1.00?

Well, all the testing is based on 1.03 patch. If you don't already have that patch I would really recommend you upgrade. There's some issues with the wrong AI being loaded during unusual event chains, there's a bug in one AI file that can give database errors (just click ignore) and one event has been disabled as it produces poor results. Apart from that :D it's all working quite nicely and IMHO adds to the game, especially if you are playing an Asian nation including the USSR.

Make sure you follow the readme.txt instructions if you try out the events.

Yeah, you're right... I think it was mentioned in the original thread and also it's in the nomonhan.txt:

#########################################################################
#
# Moved from japan.txt
# NOTE: Delete or comment out (with #) the old 3802 from japan.txt
#

... but it's dropped out of the readme.txt at some point :( I will update and refresh the file on the website.

renamed as you wanted this to be the Asian thread. I'll prolly post a META Thread with links to all regional threads soon.

Communist China

I know it's not exactly perfect, but I've had some success with Communist China with events that give them some manpower and supplies each year, as well as a few units. While it sounds strange from a conventional perspective, it seems to work and actually makes them a useful force against the Chinese. That said, when you've squared away your work Generallisimo I reckon that'd be the way to go.

The Nomohan and Kiri events should be tied in with the Japanese domestic political situation and the infighting within the elder statesmen (especially around Saionji Kenmichi). Obviously the earlier negotiations with the Chinese would be nice to have in as well there is a good description of the event flow in the second link below.
The Japanese really started moving down the path to war after the political comprimises after the attempted coup attempt the February 26th 1936.
Of course the repeated threats to the subsequent prime minster candidates pretty moved the candidates away from the powerful to ministers closer to more pliable candidates. You can look at the sources below which have good information (if you can actually read it ;))

Political History by cabinet (in Japanese)
Political History (mostly foeign related) (in English)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys, glad you like the events. I've uploaded a new zip-file with corrected readme.txt instructions and also has a working japan_north.ai, the previous version lacks a } in one spot which will give some errors if the file is ever invoked. If I complete testing on the stuff that I've been doing the last few days then I'll refresh again later tonight.

Originally posted by Aetius
You can look at the sources below which have good information (if you can actually read it ;))

I can handle English, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and probably German but not Japanese :( If you have some specific ideas about extra triggers, effects etc that would fit in with the existing structure then I'd love to get the input. The Japanese Monographs (your second link) were actually my primary source for these events :D and are referenced in the events file ;)

Originally posted by Steel
I can handle English, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and probably German but not Japanese :( If you have some specific ideas about extra triggers, effects etc that would fit in with the existing structure then I'd love to get the input. The Japanese Monographs (your second link) were actually my primary source for these events :D and are referenced in the events file ;)

Hmm... I was thinking on the lines of earlier and later aggression based on responses to the February 26th coup attempt. Things like purging of army corps of radical elements, replacing the Showa emperor with Prince Chichibu, random coups and like.
The Okabe cabinet was run by minister of the interior Goto during the coup, while the prime minister was hiding in a pile of laundry.

The historical subsequent alternative of PM was between Hiranuma and Konoe; Konoe was chosen but he refused because he sympathised with coup attempt. Hiranuma couldn't be chosen so they had to go with Hirota.

The Hirota cabinet was pro-military and the big expansion of military; I don't know how it can be simulated in the game though, increase in war entry level. it was felled by the Harakiri speach given by Hamada Kunimatsu, which forced the Minister of War Terauchi to resign. Essentially Hamada was against the military and did what he could to limit their expansion. The end result was the resignation of the Hirota cabinet

The next choice for new PM was between Ugaki and Hiranuma. Ugaki was chosen, but the repeated threats against his life that the Kempeitai uncovered and his inability to get the military to co-operate lead to him giving up to form a cabinet. Hiranuma and Hayashi emerged as the candidates for PM, with Hiranuma as first choice. Hiranuma refused and Hayashi became PM. I am not sure why the Hayashi cabinet failed but it seemed to have lacked support in the parliament.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Game terms:
Feb 26 event
-> Goto becomes PM
-> Massive rise in dissent
-> Trigger Feb 26th response

Feb 26th response
-> Crush Coup -> Trigger Crush Coup (historical)
-> Negotiate with coup leaders -> Trigger Negotiate; move to fascist
-> Let Coup Succeed -> Trigger Coup Successful!; move to fascist

Crush Coup
-> Punish coup leaders - no mercy (historical) [effect disables Konoe as choice; removes all dissent]
-> Punish coup leaders - show mercy [removes half of dissent; move to fascist]
-> Punish coup leaders - destroy Imperial Way faction [initiate Imperial Way purge event;effect disables Konoe as choice]

Negotiate with coup leaders
-> Restore Imperial Way control over army academy [reduce dissent to half]
-> Purge Control faction [initiate Control purge events]

Coup Successful!
-> Restore Showa Emperor! [initiate Control purge events]
-> Replace Showa Emperor with Prince Chichibu [Chichibu]

Purge Imperial Way
-> Purge the Army [kill off half of the officers priority on low ranking]
-> Destroy them completely [kill off half of the officers priority on low ranking+trigger Manchukou Question]

Manchukou Question
-> Continue with Manchukou as junior partner [no change]
-> Let Manchukou be equal partner [de-puppet Manchuria; move Japan to democratic (halfway?)]
-> Abandon Manchukou [de-puppet and de-military access;; move Japan to democratic (fully)]

Control Faction Purge
-> Purge the Army [kill off half of the officers priority on high ranking]
-> ?

Chichibu
->Banzai! Prince Chichibu new emperor; HoS Chichibu [PA FA NS]; HoG Araki Sadao [FA?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Choice of new PM (after Okabe) {diffferent events dependent on choices}
->Konoe {trigger Konoe accepts;Konoe refuses depending on which event}
->Hiranuma
->Keep Goto

Konoe Accepts {if Konoe is not disabled}
->Konoe cabinet {disables Hirota and Hayashi as PM; enables Control Faction Coup (unless they have been purged)}

Konoe Refuses {if Konoe is disabled}
-> Hirota Cabinet; enables Imperial Way Faction Coup (unless they have been purged)

Hiranuma
->Hiranuma cabinet {disables Hirota and Hayashi as PM}

Goto
->Goto cabinet {enables Control Faction Coup; Imperial Faction Coup (unless they have been purged)}

-------------------------------------------------------------
Imperial Faction Coup {random} (same as above)
-> Crush Coup -> Crush Coup
-> Negotiate with coup leaders -> Trigger Negotiate
-> Let Coup Succeed -> Trigger Coup Successful!

Control Faction Coup {random}
-> Crush Coup -> Crush Coup
-> Negotiate with coup leaders -> Trigger Negotiate
-> Let Coup Succeed -> Trigger Coup Successful!
and so on...
--------------------------------------------------------------

I guess that the problem for the Japanese should be that they can get out of the Chinese quagmire in two ways: get the Chinese to recognise their (from the Japanese viewpoint) legitimate claims in Manchuria or abandoning Manchuria (which is only possible if the army is brought under civilian control).

If the Japanese can keep their control of Manchuria but avoid war with the Chinese several possibilities open themselves;
-> a Japanese-Chinese Molotov-Ribbentrop pact against the Soviets (China get back Mongolia, Tibet, Sinkiang, Tanna Tuva) Japanese get Siberia)
-> Japanese-Chinese Permanent peace: Chinese claims removed on Manchuria and Taiwan
-> Japanese-Chinese-Manchurian Permanent peace: Chinese claims removed on Manchuria and Taiwan; Manchuria gets Darien and other non-Korean territory from Japan.

If the Japanese abandon Manchuria things like Korean independence or Japanese Chinese economic co-operation (Chinese transfer Coal and Iron to Japan in exchange for the return of Manchuria to China). Another thing that would be possible (in this case) is a "expel westerns" option Chinese-Japanese co-operative fighting to destroy Western Influence: Chinese vs. Comintern; Japan vs. Allies; once the Chinese are finished the Japanese start their war against the west, with chinese support.

Last edited:
Thanks Aetius, it will take me a while to go through that but watch this space ;)

I've been doing some additional testing and it looks like the nomonhan.zip currenty introduces some quirky AI behaviour for Japan and there was also a minor problem with 1 province not being seceeded properly. If any of you guys spot other issues let me know ASAP.

Regarding ComChi I'm looking at a number of different events relating to manpower, province control and unit defections. ComChi is definitely not a pushover in the current setup, in the screenshot below there's 21 NatChi divisions that just defected as they disagreed with Chiang Kai-Shek's peace agreement with Japan :D :D :D

EDIT: Removed screenshot.

Last edited: