• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Federalist said:
One version or setup to be played ONLY as Axis.

One version or setup to be played ONLY as Allies.

If you want that, you should go for the "Stony Road" Mod. Last time I checked it had exactly these tailored versions and I didn't like it because it was totally loopsided, ahistorical and did "landing by event" in provinces without a beach. On the other hand I like HARD CORE (except for the "Sabotage Research" events :-( because it still feels somehow historical.

But to the question on increasing difficulty. I'm not sure if further strengthening the AIs by allowing cheaper production/research is the right direction. This is exactly the way Stony Road went (and which now can seemingly also happen in HARD CORE with the USSR fielding 100s of ready, teched-up divisions before Barbarossa). This is just covering the weaknesses of the tactical AI with a completely unbeliveable amount of troops. IMHO the only solution would be a better tactical/strategic AI and my current experience (VH/Normal/HARDCORE) don't seem to indicate that Paradox promises for 1.06 really hold: The UK landing more or less its complete Homeland army (25 divisions) in South-West-France in 1940 allowing me to eliminate them once the tanks were back from Yugoslavia and then run over an nearly-undefended UK (The Naval AI is better in 1.06 BTW, my Sealion costed about half of the German Navy).

I guess in the end this is something only Paradox can fix. A temporary fix to give "over-successful" players a challenge could be somwhat random events bringing the two sleeping "majors" (USSR and US) into the war earlier:
- UK not being able to hold Gibraltar and Suez -> Churchil promises Stalin he can keep anything he can take from the Germans east of Oder-Neisse if he joins the Allies -> USSR attacks Germany
- Half of Europe conquered within a few months (e.g. Yugoslavia falling before or in Spring 1940) -> Fearing the worst for European Democracies the US starts its Lend-Lease programm early and in a much bigger scale including "volunteer" units.
- Gemany annexing Rumania & Bulgaria instead of just allying with them/puppeting them -> seeing the subjugation of the slavic population of the Balcan as a bad omen for the Germans' real intentions towards Russia the USSR brings its industry on a war footing (and then some production boni would be justified to simulate the lowered consumer demand)
- German army in 1938 much bigger than on historical levels -> UK starts to increase its defense spendings too (i.e. more MP early) (difficult to trigger, though)

Such events would represent possible and somewhat historical reactions to an extremely aggressive/successful Germany (and the same would have to be made for other non-AI countries) which would make the live of a human player much more difficult. Just imagine having to keep a sizeable portion of your infantry at the Russian border because you never know what mischevious plan Stalin has in mind (wereas currently you can be quite sure that nothing will happen on that border till 1941 whatever you do). Much better than simply beefing up production of everyone without a believable reason.

On the side of discussion about high terrain/night/river penalties - I just wanted to know, what all the people bragging about. So I've started game as Germany V.Hard/Normal/No HARD CORE (I wanted fast game).

War was started Septemeber the 1st, 1939 with 80 divisions (8 tank, 10 motirized, heavy investements in surface navy (Plan Z) and subs).

Here goes one of the shortest AAR's ever:

"12:00 September 14, 1939 : We won a battle against Poland in Warszawa."
"12:00 September 14, 1939 : Poland are now part of our nation!"

"21:00 November 3, 1939 : We won a battle against Netherlands in Amsterdam."
"18:00 November 10, 1939 : We won a battle against Belgium in Bruxelles."
"9:00 November 13, 1939 : We won a battle against France in Paris."

But:

"5:00 November 23, 1939 : France went with Never! Vive la France! in The Vichy Regime."

So, after some fighting in southern France...

"9:00 January 4, 1940 : We have started bombing enemy forces in Portsmouth."
"21:00 January 5, 1940 : XII. Armeekorps has finished unloading in Portsmouth."
"12:00 January 7, 1940 : We won a battle against United Kingdom in Portsmouth."

Then:
"14:00 January 10, 1940 : We won a battle against United Kingdom in London."

Whole Battle of France was fought in really bad weather. Since Rommel, Manstein, Kluge and Guderian usually added 30-40% (Offensive +10%, Skill +20%, Panzer +10%) to the combat resolution it didn't really mattered, though. I got bored and manually triggered New Order West to watch UK fighting US...

Resistance in the occupied countries

I feel stupid writing this mail, but I write it any way to be sure it was already asked.

Once a coutry is annexed, it is very calm.
I even do not need any garrison inside the country (on the coast yes, but to avoid naval invasions from outside).
What is the obstacle that obstruct the simulation of resistance?
i am sure you already talk about it but I can not find the thread.

karuzo said:
I feel stupid writing this mail, but I write it any way to be sure it was already asked.

I even do not need any garrison inside the country (on the coast yes, but to avoid naval invasions from outside).

There is a negative tech in the land doctrine thread that gives penalties once you ocupy certain areas.

Ghost_dk

karuzo said:

Game code, and beyond our ability to mod. We can, and have done some major revolts by event, which is about the only way we can. HoI doesn't have any revolt factor in game, unlike EU2 or Victoria. There are also events that simulate partisan activity, and occupation policies for some nations (only Germany ATM, but soon the USSR as well).

When you get the anschluss event as germany you also get the units austria had under construction in your build que?

Is this possible to make as you for instance conquer the netherlands you get the ships which are in trhe build que transferred to your build que?

This was something what did happen in WWII?

Any way to do this?

That only happens if you territorial claims on the entire country, which Germany didn't. A major problem with HoI concerning the naval aspect of the game is that you can't capture ships under construction, so Germany can't capture the Netherland's K ships

Semi-Lobster said:
That only happens if you territorial claims on the entire country, which Germany didn't. A major problem with HoI concerning the naval aspect of the game is that you can't capture ships under construction, so Germany can't capture the Netherland's K ships

Don't forget the Eendracht ships............. :)

Hmm a pitty that that isn't possible. :(

Semi-Lobster said:

so how about awarding them thru an event

Der Bismarck said:
so how about awarding them thru an event

I was also just thinking about that. The only issue is then that they will still be in the build que of the netherlands. Because you can't annex them. And you can't delete ships in the build que by event!?

So you can let them stay in the netherlands build que and also put them in the german build que under their renamed names.

Copper Nicus said:
On the side of discussion about high terrain/night/river penalties - I just wanted to know, what all the people bragging about. So I've started game as Germany V.Hard/Normal/No HARD CORE (I wanted fast game).

War was started Septemeber the 1st, 1939 with 80 divisions (8 tank, 10 motirized, heavy investements in surface navy (Plan Z) and subs).

Here goes one of the shortest AAR's ever:

"12:00 September 14, 1939 : We won a battle against Poland in Warszawa."
"12:00 September 14, 1939 : Poland are now part of our nation!"

"21:00 November 3, 1939 : We won a battle against Netherlands in Amsterdam."
"18:00 November 10, 1939 : We won a battle against Belgium in Bruxelles."
"9:00 November 13, 1939 : We won a battle against France in Paris."

But:

"5:00 November 23, 1939 : France went with Never! Vive la France! in The Vichy Regime."

So, after some fighting in southern France...

"9:00 January 4, 1940 : We have started bombing enemy forces in Portsmouth."
"21:00 January 5, 1940 : XII. Armeekorps has finished unloading in Portsmouth."
"12:00 January 7, 1940 : We won a battle against United Kingdom in Portsmouth."

Then:
"14:00 January 10, 1940 : We won a battle against United Kingdom in London."

Whole Battle of France was fought in really bad weather. Since Rommel, Manstein, Kluge and Guderian usually added 30-40% (Offensive +10%, Skill +20%, Panzer +10%) to the combat resolution it didn't really mattered, though. I got bored and manually triggered New Order West to watch UK fighting US...

Did the royal navy put up much off a fight? In my most recent game I tried a sealion landing on 3 different occasions over the course of about a month in the same time period as you. Each time my transports got off the coast of GB the RN showed up and gave them a good wooping. I tried having my navy be in the same sea zone as the transports to give them cover and I tried a diversion by sending my surface fleet off portsmouth and then the transports to scapa flow. Each time the KM got soundly beaten, with the RN arriving before my troops could unload. Did you just get lucky and not have the RN intercept your landing? Or did you invest in a surface fleet from the beginning. I have made succesfull landings even with the RN intervening. But only because I invested a large amount of IC prewar into building BBs and CAs. Even when I did this it was a near thing. Or is there some tech or trick to avoid detection by the RN?

Talliarthe

JRaup said:
... and beyond our ability to mod. We can, and have done some major revolts by event, which is about the only way we can. HoI doesn't have any revolt factor in game, unlike EU2 or Victoria. There are also events that simulate partisan activity, and occupation policies for some nations (only Germany ATM, but soon the USSR as well).

While waiting for the next HSR version to come out I've been playing a CORE game, as is my custom. HSR solves the occupation issue by a series of events giving MP reductions of 25 to 250 depending on the country. This, in conjunction with an event that causes serious dissent and IC reduction if your MP level goes below a certain level, effectively limits the amount of territory you can gobble up without consequences. HARD C.O.R.E. needs this feature badly. I'm sure Aregorn would be happy to share them with you.

Stoner said:
While waiting for the next HSR version to come out I've been playing a CORE game, as is my custom. HSR solves the occupation issue by a series of events giving MP reductions of 25 to 250 depending on the country. This, in conjunction with an event that causes serious dissent and IC reduction if your MP level goes below a certain level, effectively limits the amount of territory you can gobble up without consequences. HARD C.O.R.E. needs this feature badly. I'm sure Aregorn would be happy to share them with you.

Some of this has already been done. Germany has a series of occupation events, for each nation they occupy. It's not fully comprehensive in terms of all possibilities, but the major historical ones are in (France, Low Countries, Poland, Norway). There is also the series of events for the Eatsern front, which is dependant upon what ocupational policy Germany chooses when they invade. We haven't done anything for the Wetsern powers, and there is a work in progress for the USSR, and some work has been done for Japan.

I haven't seen what HSR does (no time for another mod to play :( ), but it sounds similar to what we came up with, but more extensive. I wouldn't mind seeing what they've done though.

javiermcabo said:
After all this time, i'm going to download, but...
what is the difference between any patch and it's MP version?

There used to be a difference but from 0.84(latest version) there is only one version left.

Ghost_dk

Ghost_dk said:
There used to be a difference but from 0.84(latest version) there is only one version left.

Ghost_dk

I'll install v0.83 because I hate 1.06c, so i'm still concerned about de differences.

Thanks!!

With 0.84 it is still possible, that Germany DoWs the Netherlands and Belgium remains neutral. IRL this is unrealistic. I suggest two events:

1) When GER is at war with HOL -> BEL joins the Allies
2) When GER is at war with BEL (this event should be triggered by BEL_852000 action_a [BEL left the Allies]) -> HOL joins the Allies

So when a neutral(!) BEL or HOL is DoWed by GER, its neighbour should join the Allies.

Why when Lithuania had Event: Lithuanian/Polish crisis and Lithuania say : ''Wilno is our province'', That Poland Declare War to Lithuania, and Lithuania automatic goes to Comitern.Why? At first Lithuania can ask for Defence help to Latvia and Estonia? If they disagree to help Lithuania or Fight with Agressor(Poland), + Event:The End Of Baltic Antante!!!
Only Now Lithuania go for Help to Germany and USSR Or this both Powers to Lithuania ask : Need Military Help To Lithuania in Pol/Lit war against Agressor.
After this event Europe have New Molotov-Ribbentrop pact (The Poland divide to half + Baltic States go to Comintern).