• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Burris
Could it be I made myself (USA) as leader of the alliance?

Am I correct in taking this to mean that you forced the change in Alliance leadership? In some cases, I have found that forcing an event, or change, through the control panel can cause some events to crash. However, if they happen "naturally" they work fine. Could it also be due to the engine itself? Too many nations active at once? I don't think it's the independence command, as I've had no problems with Vichy, Ukraine, Croatia, the Italian republics, or India.

Im going to try adding the triggers that are used to trigger CRO and see if that helps.

I've also tried changing it so Japan hands over the territory for Korea and Mongolia then USA Triggers the event. That failed too. But i'll try triggers..

sorry, but i am a bit lost with this problem...
you add the new events and, then, the scenario will load with errors, and, sometime will CtD... right?
we have to see all the events, you could forget a "{" in a previous events and the engine will show an error in some other place. can you put all the events here or send them to my email so i can take a look at them?

cheers.
:cool:

The problem description perfectly matches symptom of having invalid tech IDs in the save game. Send me the save game or remove all techapps and tech projects referring to 2313 and 2989, then try again.

Timing problem

Hey everyone. I am working on a series of events for Yugoslavia, and I am having some timing problems. The first event,

Removal of Stojadinovic Government, triggers the second event, which then triggers the third. The problem lies in timing.

First event fires off sometime in February of 1939, but the second and third have specific dates when they need to go off,

May 8th and August 26th respectively. They all happen right after the first one instead.

Basically, I want to know if it is possible to set a triggered event to happen exactly on a certain date, and if it is

possible, how to go about it.

The events are as follows.

#########################################################################
# Removal of Stojadinovic Government

event = {
id = 720154
random = no
country = YUG

trigger = {
random = 30
year = 1939
dissent = 10
}

name = "Stojadinovic Government Is Shaking"
desc = "Alarmed by the increasing turnmoil in the country and its political crisis, Regent Pavle Karadordevic is

considering intervening and removing Milan Stojadinovic and his cabinet. Dragisa Cvetkovic, Regent's confidant and trusted

follower, will be named as the new Prime Minister, and he will select his new cabinet, should we decide to remove

Stojadinovic. Historically, Regent Pavle removed Stojadinovic and replaced him with Cvetkovic, whom he believed capable of

salvaging public's trust in the government."
style = 0

date = { day = 1 month = february year = 1939 }
offset = 6
deathdate = { day = 1 month = may year = 1939 }

action_a = {
name = "Remove Stojadinovic and establish a new government"
command = { type = dissent value = -1 }
command = { type = headofgovernment which = 20032 } #Dragisa Cvetkovic
command = { type = foreignminister which = 20058 } #Aleksandar Cincar-Markovic
command = { type = ministerofsecurity which = 20059 } #Mehmed Spaho
command = { type = armamentminister which = 20059 } #Miha Krek
command = { type = ministerofintelligence which = 20061 } #Franc Snoj
command = { type = chiefofstaff which = 20062 } #Dzafer Kulenovic
command = { type = chiefofarmy which = 20063 } #Srdjan Budisavljevic
command = { type = chiefofnavy which = 20064 } #Branko Cubrilovic
command = { type = chiefofair which = 20065 } #Mihailo Konstantinovic
command = { type = trigger which = 720155 }
}

action_b = {
name = "Leave him be"
command = { type = dissent value = 10 }
command = { type = alignment which = fascist value = 5 }
}
}

# Cvetkovic-Macek Accords

event = {
id = 720155
random = no
country = YUG

trigger = {
random = 100
year = 1939
headofgovernment = 20032 # Cvetkovic
}

name = "Negotiations With Macek Begin"
desc = "Vlatko Macek has been selected by the Croatian Peasant's Party, and the newly assembled Croatian Parliament,

to negotiate with the Cvetkovic government about the croatian status in Yugoslavia. Cvetkovic government has declared that

its intention is to seek agreement with the Croatians about full equality in state and government affairs."
style = 0

date = { day = 8 month = may year = 1939 }
offset = 1
deathdate = { day = 30 month = may year = 1939 }

action_a = {
name = "Finally some good news!"
command = { type = trigger which = 720156 }
}

}

event = {
id = 720156
random = no
country = YUG

trigger = {
random = 100
year = 1939
}

name = "Cvetkovic-Macek Accords"
desc = "The political crisis has finally been resolved today through the signing of the Cvetkovic-Macek Accords,

which provide for the creation of the semi-independent Banovina Hrvatska on Croatian national territory. This new division of

government will have autonomous powers over agriculture, commerce and industry, social and health policy, education, and

internal security over its territory. Ivan Subasic is to head the new government of Banovina Hrvatska. Both sides hailed the

agreement as the beginning of a new era in inter-ethnical relations in Yugoslavia."
style = 0

date = { day = 26 month = august year = 1939 }
offset = 1
deathdate = { day = 30 month = august year = 1939 }

action_a = {
name = "This should settle our longstanding political crisis"
command = { type = dissent value = -10 }
command = { type = alignment which = democratic value = 10 }
command = { type = armamentminister which = 20014 } #Ivan Subasic
command = { type = ministerofsecurity which = 20054 } #Andrija Artukovic
command = { type = chiefofstaff which = 20017 } #Vjekoslav Klisanic
}
}

Thanks in advance.

Zerli

Re: Timing problem

the problem is the "trigger" command ;)
if you say:
command = { type = trigger which = 720155 }
the event 720155 will trigger automatically, no matter what trigger condition it has... ;)

so, suggestion:

# Removal of Stojadinovic Government

event = {
id = 720154
random = no
country = YUG

trigger = {
random = 30
year = 1939
dissent = 10
}

name = "Stojadinovic Government Is Shaking"
desc = "Alarmed by the increasing turnmoil in the country and its political crisis, Regent Pavle Karadordevic is

considering intervening and removing Milan Stojadinovic and his cabinet. Dragisa Cvetkovic, Regent's confidant and trusted

follower, will be named as the new Prime Minister, and he will select his new cabinet, should we decide to remove

Stojadinovic. Historically, Regent Pavle removed Stojadinovic and replaced him with Cvetkovic, whom he believed capable of

salvaging public's trust in the government."
style = 0

date = { day = 1 month = february year = 1939 }
offset = 6
deathdate = { day = 1 month = may year = 1939 }

action_a = {
name = "Remove Stojadinovic and establish a new government"
command = { type = headofgovernment which = 20032 } #Dragisa Cvetkovic
command = { type = foreignminister which = 20058 } #Aleksandar Cincar-Markovic
command = { type = ministerofsecurity which = 20059 } #Mehmed Spaho
command = { type = armamentminister which = 20059 } #Miha Krek
command = { type = ministerofintelligence which = 20061 } #Franc Snoj
command = { type = chiefofstaff which = 20062 } #Dzafer Kulenovic
command = { type = chiefofarmy which = 20063 } #Srdjan Budisavljevic
command = { type = chiefofnavy which = 20064 } #Branko Cubrilovic
command = { type = chiefofair which = 20065 } #Mihailo Konstantinovic

}

action_b = {
name = "Leave him be"
command = { type = dissent value = 10 }
command = { type = alignment which = fascist value = 5 }
}
}

# Cvetkovic-Macek Accords

event = {
id = 720155
random = no
country = YUG

trigger = {
random = 75
year = 1939
event = 720154
}

name = "Negotiations With Macek Begin"
desc = "Vlatko Macek has been selected by the Croatian Peasant's Party, and the newly assembled Croatian Parliament,

to negotiate with the Cvetkovic government about the croatian status in Yugoslavia. Cvetkovic government has declared that

its intention is to seek agreement with the Croatians about full equality in state and government affairs."
style = 0

date = { day = 8 month = may year = 1939 }
offset = 1
deathdate = { day = 30 month = may year = 1939 }

action_a = {
name = "Finally some good news!"
}

}

event = {
id = 720156
random = no
country = YUG

trigger = {
random = 80
year = 1939
event = 720155
}

name = "Cvetkovic-Macek Accords"
desc = "The political crisis has finally been resolved today through the signing of the Cvetkovic-Macek Accords,

which provide for the creation of the semi-independent Banovina Hrvatska on Croatian national territory. This new division of

government will have autonomous powers over agriculture, commerce and industry, social and health policy, education, and

internal security over its territory. Ivan Subasic is to head the new government of Banovina Hrvatska. Both sides hailed the

agreement as the beginning of a new era in inter-ethnical relations in Yugoslavia."
style = 0

date = { day = 26 month = august year = 1939 }
offset = 1
deathdate = { day = 30 month = august year = 1939 }

action_a = {
name = "This should settle our longstanding political crisis"
command = { type = dissent value = -10 }
command = { type = alignment which = democratic value = 10 }
command = { type = armamentminister which = 20014 } #Ivan Subasic
command = { type = ministerofsecurity which = 20054 } #Andrija Artukovic
command = { type = chiefofstaff which = 20017 } #Vjekoslav Klisanic
}
}

also, you should add some "sleepevent" commands in case the event will not happen... (choosing option B ;) ).

Cheers.
:D

Expeditionary Forces

Where in the game file is the information as to whether or not expeditionary forces are able to be sent? I am trying to send an expeditionary force to Spain as the US, and am unable to do that. I have tried changing the government type, but that doesn't appear to be the key. Just trying to have fun, not make some messed up US event (yet :D) MDow

Re: Expeditionary Forces

Originally posted by MateDow
Where in the game file is the information as to whether or not expeditionary forces are able to be sent? I am trying to send an expeditionary force to Spain as the US, and am unable to do that. I have tried changing the government type, but that doesn't appear to be the key. Just trying to have fun, not make some messed up US event (yet :D) MDow
as far as i know it is hardcoded by Paradox in the engine... :(

Re: Expeditionary Forces

Originally posted by MateDow
Only members of an alliance can send Exp. Forces. Doesn't have to be allied with the recipient, just in an alliance.

CORE Event Text Writing Guidelines

New CORE event writers should read this to avoid a lot of work on rewriting event text to fit with CORE guidelines.

These tips were assembled from various threads, especially JJ's "C.O.R.E. New Event depository - contribute YOUR OWN event, see it in C.O.R.E." thread. I've merely put them together and edited them for consistency.

1. Text character (length) limits

Title name: max characters = 240, exceeding this causes the event to briefly flash on the screen (if the player is the country with the event with too long of a title) but not to actually fire. If this is an AI nation, the event does not fire.

Description text: max characters = 1020, exceeding this causes invalid references upon new campaign or savegame load-up.

Option text: max characters = 70, exceeding this causes the text to become squished together and garbled.

2. Point-of-view, case (person), and tense

Title name: should be in the present tense, and start with the word 'The', or a country name, or other workable word. Only words of proper names should be capitalized, no punctuation at the end. The title should accurately describe the event, but not explain or define its terms (that is what the description is for).

e.g. "The Nomonhan Incident"
e.g. "Germany sends advisors and technological support to Nationalist Spain"

Description text: MUST be written in the past tense, and events should generally give the same descriptions in all cases, if they happen to multiple countries. The descriptions should clearly define the event title, and include sufficient historical or or ahistorical background for those who like to read (those who don't will skip it anyway). This area has a lot of space as far as maximum characters, so the majority of info should fit in here, and as we know the character limit AND the results of exceeding that limit (makes it obvious to correct these bugs), we should add as much descriptive text as possible.

In regard to PoV for the event description. For historical events this should be in past tense, as mentioned. However, for ahistorical events or bends on events, it's important to write it from the standpoint of what should occur. Confusing, but I'll give you an example. This is an event should the Germans occupy the Caucasas region:

name = "Reichskommisariat Caucasus"
desc = "As the battle front moved eastward, the Ostministerium stood ready to take over the administration of the occupied areas from the Wehrmacht. Reichskommisariat Caucasus was to include southern European Russia, as well as the Soviet Republics of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia."

You cannot write that from the standpoint of established history, nor should you. You are describing the desired result of a decision that will create a twist in history.

e.g. "On January 1st, 1936, Germany became involved in a grand campaign in the game Hearts of Iron. After having the Treaty of Versailles imposed on them, as a result of losing the Second World War, the High command had to choose what research to develop, blah blah blah blah.... etc etc"

Option titles: Should be written in the future tense from the neutral or first person plural, and should be long enough to accurately describe the effects of each particular option. This is somewhat difficult, given the 70 character limit. If an effect is "WAR!', it should say so on the button. I know that the information also pops up during mouseover of the option buttons, but those descriptions are also sometimes unclear, or in the case of sleep_event commands, completely unstated. The most important seen and unseen effects should be delineated on the button. The sentence should not end in punctuation.
This is where the text should be slanted from the country's particular angle. The text should read like the player is the head commander in chief of all decisions regarding these events. I think this reads better to the player, as they are aware of what country they are playing. I think that using direct commands (neutral) or the word 'We' (fpp) tends to personalize the choice better than using the third person. The player should be getting the feeling that he/she is the Commander-in-Chief, making *important* decisions for the country, when reading the option text.

e.g. Neutral: "Declare war on Japan; end the trade agreement"
e.g. Plural: "We will not forget this insult; accept the British demands"

Just to make it simple - out of the event name, event description, and event options, the only thing that ends with punctuation is the event description (an example above). Let me stress - event options do not end with punctuation. For example, there should not be anymore of these for us to correct:

action_a = {
name = "I hate my mother!!"
command = { type = trigger which = 5229 } #Soviet event to secede lost provinces
}

action_b = {
name = "I hate my mother and now will kill everyone!!!"
command = { }
}
}

3. Efforts on the TCTmod

Team-C.O.R.E.-text, composed of JesseJames, PhilK, and Jkkelley (they are also looking for more help!), are putting in a lot of effort to unify event descriptions for case and tense, as well as correct spelling errors, grammatical mistakes, and typos. This was born of a general feeling, when playing the C.O.R.E. mod, that some of the events needed a little superficial 'touch-up'.

The work process is this: when a new version of C.O.R.E. is soon to be released, we integrate all of the corrections and changes made from the past version's event files into the new version's event files. After release of the new version, TCTmod team may go through several versions of typo corrections, etc, as hotfixes. This carries on until the next C.O.R.E. release is almost ready, at which point integration starts again.

TCTmod team divides the work such that different files and tasks are assigned such that work is not repeated, and that changes they make are unified among each member's version of the files. This is sometimes an effort in communication micromanagement.
Once they have finished a particular version, they will put it up on the wiki for testing and either to be released with the new version of C.O.R.E. or try to have it released as a hotfix.

Zerli

P.S. I hope to also compile a set of event scripting tips to avoid common event problems, especially things not covered in Havard's Guide. Less work for Steel means more event goodness for all of us! :)

Would you like events to be sent to y'all before release as a sort of preventative editing so you don't have to wait until after the release? I confess, I am one of those evil people that writes in the present tense. Can I ask why the decision was made for past tense? MDow

How do you use the editor on CORE?

I just started playing CORE 1.06. I tried using the editor on my save game, but the computer gave me some sort of error message. Can I use the regular editor for CORE games, or is there an editor I have to download to use?

Re: How do you use the editor on CORE?

Originally posted by gregebowman
I just started playing CORE 1.06. I tried using the editor on my save game, but the computer gave me some sort of error message. Can I use the regular editor for CORE games, or is there an editor I have to download to use?

helpdesk... :)

Really stupid questions

1) does a admiral order require an admiral to activate?

2) do admiral orders only work if a certain size of ship is in the fleet or does it work for a fleet with any size ships in it?

3) for the command type = delete_unit which = [unit id/-1]

a) will this remove land or air or naval units at random if the -1 switch is set?

b) will it remove a specific unit that has an ID?

4) If I have a small nation that has low tech. How do I set the nations build order to only build calvary?

5) There are no admiral orders I can locate for the small Canadian fleet on the Atlantic coast. However this fleet leaves it's port at area 153 and patrols 151, 157, 159 for on week in each area and then loops back into port.

Is there a hidden admiral script in the hardcoded program?

Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Budgie
Really stupid questions

1) does a admiral order require an admiral to activate?

2) do admiral orders only work if a certain size of ship is in the fleet or does it work for a fleet with any size ships in it?

3) for the command type = delete_unit which = [unit id/-1]

a) will this remove land or air or naval units at random if the -1 switch is set?

b) will it remove a specific unit that has an ID?

4) If I have a small nation that has low tech. How do I set the nations build order to only build calvary?

5) There are no admiral orders I can locate for the small Canadian fleet on the Atlantic coast. However this fleet leaves it's port at area 153 and patrols 151, 157, 159 for on week in each area and then loops back into port.

Is there a hidden admiral script in the hardcoded program?

Any help would be appreciated.

1. I don't think so. from what I recall, the Admiral sections of the AIs are just the genral naval plans fo nation x.

2. Any size fleet as far as I know.

3. a. Yup, totally random. Could be an air unit, or a land unit, or a naval unit. Also, it will go away from any part of the world.

3.b. I believe so, but problems may arise if the units gets upgraded, or destroyed prior to the event command. I seem to recall at least one CTD due to that, but I'm unsure at this point. The other thing is, this will only work on starting OOB units. Units built in game get semi-random units IDs as they get built.

4. I don't think you can. Build priorities are land/air/naval, or what ever the order is. These are % set, so the command isn't that fine.

5. There might be, based on the garrison values. I rarley pay attention to Canada, unless I'm invading, so I have no experince of my own on that.

Thank You JRaup for the answers.

Mostly... Thank You for the explanation of what can go wrong with the delete by ID command. I only wish someone had taken a minute to explain that little glitch to me, a couple af days ago.

The questions about admiral orders relates to me trying to find out why, my very simple, Admiral script will not work as intended. I guess I will have to write a little event script to verify that my changed AI files are really loading. Because my darn little Canadian navy will not follow Admiral orders as it's told!

Question (4) was asked because my Canadians will build mostly calvary but also they will build a fighter now and then. When they have been told to build calvary 100%.

I think you are perfectly right. There must be a hidden maximum percentage that you can set as the army...air...and navy build ratio. Trouble is, what are the actual ratios allowed and how good would that work for a land locked nation?

Futher testing is required.

Oh the joys.

;)