• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Willard said:
Any chance on historical German counters and a bit more detailed Soviet counter??? Cant see the hammer/sickle to well...
Other than that, these are outstanding!!

I have to agree... on all counts.

I, too, love these new counters. But I'd love to see a 'historical' German counter as well. Has anyone tried making one yet?

Looking forward to any additional countries for McNaughton's counter set.

First I love the new counters.

I third the request for the historical Nazi Flag on the German counters.

Would it be possible for someone to tone down the German gray just a bit, its a bit too dark for me. I prefer the Austria or Switzerland grays. If the correct Nazi flag was added then the different grays would not be a problem (at least for me).

The current German gray makes it hard to see the unit size and the HQ flags.

Oh and I am a brand newbie here. I have only installed HOI v 1.06. Waiting for C.O.R.E. .8

If one could make the lighter color gray for me and post it here or email it to me with instructions on where to put the things that would be really great.

Thxz in advance.

dlazov said:
I third the request for the historical Nazi Flag on the German counters.
I doubt that CORE will implement the historical flag, as that is prohibited by laws in Germany and several other European countries. A seperate download for it would be better...

Zanza,

I think you are correct. I just read the "rules" in the main threads and did not realize what a big stink the "historical" German flag caused. I did not know that flag was banned in Germany, do they also ban the Soviet flag as well? Hitler killed 6 million Jews and Stalin was just as bad by killing his own people.

A separate download would be fine. I have two "strips" one the origninal color with the historical flag and the other with a lighter grey. Still have no idea on how to use them in the game. I did down load some historical flag mods for the Germans.

One would think "they" would ban the practice of, not the memory of...

Well, the ban is not total. The penal code prohibits use, production and distribution of signs belonging to organisations which are against our constitution. Nazi signs fall under this. You may however use those signs for art, history, teaching and research. But video games aren't considered art by the german judiciary, while movies are. So you may use the swastika in a movie, but not in a computer game.
I heard that there are similar laws in other countries in Europe concerning the use of Nazi symbols.

You may find the counters in the Hearts of Iron/gfx/palette/ folder. If you replace/modify the files there, you'll have other counters.

"You may find the counters in the Hearts of Iron/gfx/palette/ folder. If you replace/modify the files there, you'll have other counters"

Thanks for that tip. I have made some changes to the German unit (added the Nazi flag and lightened it a bit.

Thxz.

McNaughton, I spotted this thread and started wondering, what happened to the counter palettes I sent you way back when? Was there something wrong with them, or are you just not using them due to design changes?

I just read the "rules" in the main threads and did not realize what a big stink the "historical" German flag caused. I did not know that flag was banned in Germany, do they also ban the Soviet flag as well? Hitler killed 6 million Jews and Stalin was just as bad by killing his own people.

*snip*

One would think "they" would ban the practice of, not the memory of...

Well it's just insane PC stuff that no one in his right mind actually approves of. No one dares to discuss such issues however. And quite naturally Communist symbols aren't banned or forbidden no matter the inconsequence...

Can't talk about it.

When I was a boy these taboos by legislation didn't exist yet. They have spread across Europe in the last one or two decades.
"They" have an awful lot of power over minds and fears.

Can't talk about it.

Last edited:
Ah!

Gwalcmai said:
McNaughton, I spotted this thread and started wondering, what happened to the counter palettes I sent you way back when? Was there something wrong with them, or are you just not using them due to design changes?

OMG! I just found them! I started posting a message that I never recieved them, then just looked through the old Graphics thread, and there they were on Page 5!

I guess I just skipped over it, as it was in the middle of the discussion on the new fort graphics (after counter discussion died off).

To answer your question, no, I didn't leave them out intentionally, just didn't realize that they were done! I feared that they were lost in your computer troubles, and didn't have the heart to pester you about them!

Thanks a lot! I will see if there are any changes that I have done that need 'fixing', and will post them asap.

If you don't mind, here are Gwalcmai's South-Central America counters. Some of them may face future background changes, but for the most part, should be unchanged (except for the blending of the roundels with the background).

http://gwalcmai.planetaclix.pt/america.zip

Excellent work here! I think that there are very few nations left (other than some revolters) who don't have their counters.

Anyway, I am not interested in spending my personal time drawing in swastikas. I can get into a debate about the reasons behind the atrocities, and how the swastika is representative of the repressive German regime, while the Soviet flag was one of many incarnations of repressive Russian regimes (one could propose a good case in banning the Imperial Russian flag), but this isn't the place.

Basically, there is more connection to the Swaskika and the reasons behind the German atrocities than there is between the Hammer and Sickle and the Russian atrocities. These are my personal reasons.

Plus, there is a German law against the Swastika. If there was a Russian law against the Hammer and Sickle, then guess what, there wouldn't be a Soviet flag. Lets end this discussion here, or if you want, move it to the General forums. These are the Paradox reasons.

McNaughton, you don't have to spend your time drawing swastikas since you can get the appropriate flag from here:

http://www.flags-by-swi.com/fotw/flags/de-35a.html

And if the Germans aren't allowed to know about their own history, why not make a German version of the game with incorrect insignia and spare the rest of the world? How hard is that?

By the way, if you think you can compare Tzarist oppression with Bolshevik oppression, you got some serious reading to do...

And I don't want to ban the Soviet flag, just allow the German one.

But like you say, we don't need to discuss it. It's OT.

Last edited:
Mjuice said:
Does somebody know how to actually modify the counters, because changing the files in /gfx/palette/ does nothing.

I asked the same question in the "Vanilla HOI" forum with, so far, no answer. It's strange because I can't figure out where it's getting the counter flag information from if not from those .bmp's. I've already replaced the shield's/flag's like before so it can't be from those files.

Counters Only

All flags aside.

The question still remains.

How do I modifiy the counters to lighten them or change them and have the results displayed in HOI?

I changed the file "counter_ger.bmp" (lightened it a bit), started HOI no change. Changed the file "country.txt" from Gray to LightGray, no change.

I don't get it.

I think the new counters for 1.06 are fantastic, but I have are hard time seeing the "size" and "HQ flag" on the darker colors.

McNaughton said:
To answer your question, no, I didn't leave them out intentionally, just didn't realize that they were done!

Ah! Cool. What counters are missing now?

dlazov said:
I changed the file "counter_ger.bmp" (lightened it a bit), started HOI no change. Changed the file "country.txt" from Gray to LightGray, no change.

Right file to change. You prabably changed the wrong thing, though. McN's design of the counter_tag.bmp files, although handy to mod, is a bit misleading to someone trying to figure out how to edit them.

What you have to change is not the image in the file, but the palette. If you want the background to be a lighter colour, you need to see which colour index is used for the background of the counter, and edit that specific index in the counter_ger.bmp's palette to be a lighter colour.

It works something like this: HOI loads the hoi_counter_strip.bmp file as the template for all counters in the game. (as an aside, it would be nice if we could get something like hoi_counter_strip_axi.bmp, ""_ali.bmp and ""_com.bmp :D) That file specifies the pixel arrangement of the counters, determining which palette index is used for each pixel position in the counter. Then, for each country, HOI loads a specific palette, contained in those files in GFX\palette, and substitutes the template colours for the palette colours of each nation.

Hey, I realize I'm shoveling up an old thread, but help an old CORE brotha out. Are the counters you're talking about ('alternate historical German', let's call them) the same as in HOI2? If so, would your modified ones work with HOI2, and if so, can you help me get a copy? I've still got my flag and shield graphics, just need the new counter/flag combo.

Thanks, fellas.

jkk

Well, I PM'd ya, but you are being antisocial with the univeral block thing.

So all I can say is see the boys at Tony Road and the old Hoi1 section.