• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

hammerfalls

First Lieutenant
88 Badges
Jul 19, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Iron Cross
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
So I have finally finished updating the Vanilla version of the Byzantine mod finished and posted, the download is in the first post of the download page.

Here is the discussion forum for my Byzantine mods.

the thread to download the mod is here

And now my question,

i am working on a way of rewriting the African Treaty events and I would appreciate input from anyone who has played.

to be honest, I have no idea how to make the treaty events work, so if anyone has an idea...

Also, I would like input about the Crimean War, initially I took it out because the arguement for war, that Orthodox Christians were being mistreated, wouldn't happen in this history. However, after reflection and research, I believe the Russians would still have declared war under a different pretense. This is because the Russians were expansionist at the time and wanted the region regardless of ownership. Any thoughts from anyone?

replies welcome.

Last edited:
I don't know that they would have invaded a still-living Byzantine Empire. Religious and historical ties would have been too strong. They might have tried something in the region, but not against the Byzantines directly. Maybe a bid to purchase a port province, ala Alaska deal. Maybe do something like "with the profits from selling Alaska, the Russians tried to purchase a useful piece of real estate".

among common people perhaps, but the government was expansionist. In my opinion, Russia was just looking for excuses. After all, Russia didn't care about the people in the Balkans, it just wanted better access to ports. Russia probably would have invaded anyway under different pretenses.

Remember that when the Byzantine Empire fell, the mantle of the Orthodox church was moved to Moscow. This played a large part in Russian Imperialism, because the Tsar was essentially "the pope of Orthodoxy". Had the Byzantines survived, the Emperor would've retained the mantle, and the Russians invading Byzantium would be akin to the French invading the Papal States. Given a good reason, it might happen, but it should cause a lot of militancy for Orthodox Russians.

As for the African Treaty, I have an idea and I'm planning on scripting an event chain and submitting it to you when I have time, which will be after the New Year. Basically, I was thinking something like this (this is all very rough):

1. Country: France

Trigger:
  1. Byzantine BB > 20
  2. Tripoli does not exist.
  3. Tunisia does not exist.
  4. Byzantium holds the capitals of Tripoli and Tunisia.
  5. Trans-Arabian railroad built.
  6. Not at war with Byz.

Text:
France begins getting scared of growing Byzantine colonialism in Africa, and after the construction of the Trans-Arabian railroad, fears they will start improving the infrastructure in North Africa, making French colonialism in the region far more difficult.

Choices:
  1. Threaten Byzantium with reprisal: Relation with Byz -50, trigger event 2.
  2. Don't risk anything: -20 prestige.

2. Country: Byzantium

Trigger: Event 1

Text: Byzantium has been threatened by France, how to react?

Choices:
  1. Try to negotiate with the colonial powers: Trigger events for SPA, FRA, ENG and POR about signing a treaty.
  2. Teach the dogs a lesson! Africa is ours!: War with FRA.
  3. Back peddle, they're too powerful!: -50 prestige, release Tripoli and Tunisia (not as satellites).

3. Country: The colonial nations.

Trigger: Event 2

Text: The French have threatened Byzantium over its imperialism in North Africa. The Byzantines have agreed to negotiate, shall we sign a treaty giving them control of North East Africa if they agree not to encroach on other nation's colonial ambitions?

Options:
  1. Yes: Increase flag by one, relation with Byz +20.
  2. No: Relation with Byz -20. (For FRA this also triggers war with Byz)

4. Country: Byzantium

Trigger:
  1. A date approx. 1 month after the first event in this chain triggers.
  2. Dependent on the flag number, so there will need to be four events here.
  3. Not at war with FRA.

Text: One/two/three/all nations have agreed to sign the treaty. Tensions are eased, and war has been avoided if we sign. In exchange for recognising Byzantine hegemony over North East Africa, we must agree not to encroach on other nations' colonial ambitions.[/i]

Options:
  1. Sign it: -5/-10/-15/-20 prestige (dependent on how many signed, loss is due to giving up colonial possibilities and acceeding to other countries' demands), -5/-10/-15/-20 BB (again, dependant on how many signed).
  2. They make outrageous demands, the crown refuses!: +5/+10/+15/+20 prestige, -10/-20/-30/-40 relations with the colonial nations, war with FRA.

Last edited:
hammerfalls said:
among common people perhaps, but the government was expansionist. In my opinion, Russia was just looking for excuses. After all, Russia didn't care about the people in the Balkans, it just wanted better access to ports. Russia probably would have invaded anyway under different pretenses.

Hey, here are some suggestions from me on Russian expansion. You could delay their expansion in to Byzantine areas until after nationalism is starting to sweep Europe. Then the attitude will be Russians vs. Greeks, not Christian vs. Christian.

I also notice that in the game many events led the Byzantine to ask for the support of non-orthodox Christian nation than orthodox ones. That is an issue than can be taken advantage of by the Russians.

Finally Russia could always intercede when there is large scale civil unrest in the empire, sending in "security forces" to their areas of interest , and the back it up with political and military pressure to claim the lands, maybe creating protectorates and such.

Well ok then, there will be no Crimean War and Xanthippus will be writing a new African Treaty event chain. Uodoo, I will add a few events to cover the nationalism and Russian interference.

Was finally able to get it working, so here are a few observations.

1. Starting territory seems awfully large. What is the backstory here? What was the historical turning point that allowed the Empire to survive? At the start of the scenario, it appears that Byzantium holds everything she ever did historically + some

2. Large Turkish population. If I remember my Byzantine history correctly, the Turks came as invaders, and that is why we see the ethnic makeup we have, with large numbers of Turks throughout Anatolia and the Middle East. So, referring back to point 1, what is the historical context for this surviving Empire? If you're suggesting that it survived intact from the 330-476 time period (which would make sense considering the size of the Empire), then they obviouly weathered the Turkish invasions quite well, and we would not see the large Turkish populations everywhere. Actually, from any conceivable historical perspective, a surviving Byzantine Empire should see very few Turks at all. Perhaps, unless it was a case of being nearly on the brink (as was true historically) and (unhistorically) re-emerging to reclaim all formerly held land, in which case the Turkish populations make more sense. So, again, what is the historical context?

3. More of a game mechanics issue, but there seems to be a CTD associated with the Arabic Rebellions. Got the event saying I released Egypt and Syria (IIRC), click ok, and immediate CTD. Known issue?

Overall, very good fun. Seems a bit easy because of the large territory, but I was definitely having fun with it until the CTD. The events are very nicely done with a good balance of good/bad. I look forward to further refinements of this scenario.

Hagie Sophia said:
Was finally able to get it working, so here are a few observations.

1. Starting territory seems awfully large. What is the backstory here? What was the historical turning point that allowed the Empire to survive? At the start of the scenario, it appears that Byzantium holds everything she ever did historically + some

2. Large Turkish population. If I remember my Byzantine history correctly, the Turks came as invaders, and that is why we see the ethnic makeup we have, with large numbers of Turks throughout Anatolia and the Middle East. So, referring back to point 1, what is the historical context for this surviving Empire? If you're suggesting that it survived intact from the 330-476 time period (which would make sense considering the size of the Empire), then they obviouly weathered the Turkish invasions quite well, and we would not see the large Turkish populations everywhere. Actually, from any conceivable historical perspective, a surviving Byzantine Empire should see very few Turks at all. Perhaps, unless it was a case of being nearly on the brink (as was true historically) and (unhistorically) re-emerging to reclaim all formerly held land, in which case the Turkish populations make more sense. So, again, what is the historical context?

3. More of a game mechanics issue, but there seems to be a CTD associated with the Arabic Rebellions. Got the event saying I released Egypt and Syria (IIRC), click ok, and immediate CTD. Known issue?

Overall, very good fun. Seems a bit easy because of the large territory, but I was definitely having fun with it until the CTD. The events are very nicely done with a good balance of good/bad. I look forward to further refinements of this scenario.

In 1453, Constantine XI captures Mehmed II and defeats the Ottoman. Then the Byzantines entered a long phase of slow expansion. By the end of the 1700, all of modern day Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Libya, Syria and Israel had been annexed as well as most of the Balkans and Iraq. However, a series of incompetent emperors began to lose control of Libya and many outlying regions. By the time of Napoleon the empire had lost present day Libya, the Black Sea coast, and their colonies in southern Italy. The Byzantines entered a new isolationist period trying to hold the empire together but causing it to fall behind on many technological and cultural developments.

So in answer to your question, they regained their empire and are losing it again.

There are events in the game to cover the Turks, although I have never been satisfied with them.

Finally, I know there have been problems with the Arab Civil War events, I am still unsure about what the problem, but I will look them over again as I thought the problem had been rectified.

I know y'all've been quiet for awhile

and maybe this mod won't work with the newer patches, but I'm going to try it out and see how it goes.

One thing you might add would be an event to fire 2 Jan 1836 to tell the backstory, so you don't get this question from your audience. :)

j.

I suppose you should find a new POD for survuving Bizantine empire.
At 1453 the empire is exausted and near to death.
I suggest no civil war in XIV° century or more successeful Komenenian Dinasty

I hope this mod is adapted to Victoria: Revolutions. I was hoping to use both for the Victoria phase of The Fallen Eagle. Good to see you back by the way, Lly.

So I have finally finished updating the Vanilla version of the Byzantine mod finished and posted, the download is in the first post of the download page.

The mod may be compatible with Revolutions, but since I dont own it im not actually sure.

It is. I'm having a whole lot of fun with it in Revolutions right now. My GOD is it satisfying giving those smug, uppity Hapsburgs the mother of all holy smackdowns. They thought they could handle the Roman Empire just because I was dealing with some nasty rebellions in the Orient, but I tell you, they shall never forget that they're dealing with an Empire that has over 2000 years of history, yes, even older than yours Mr Josef. Now shine my damned shoes.

It's just so fun -- the humiliate command seems to appropriate for a surviving (and ascendant) Roman Empire that I HAVE to include it in every peace treaty I make.

EDIT: This game has certainly turned interesting. A sort of proto WWI is happening in the 1880's (Me, Austria, and Russia v France, Italy, and France's puppets), and it seems having the Eastern Empire survive made sure Mediterranean civilization survived, too. The most important battleground between me and France isn't in Europe, but in Algeria/Numidia, with engagement counts of a million plus soldiers on both sides. This is the sort of count that just wasn't SEEN until WWI in Belgium, and this is 30 years early in Africa. I'm loving it.

Last edited: