• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Zenith Darksea

Κατεπάνω Καλιφορνίας
13 Badges
Mar 29, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
As a Byzantine fanboy and Philhellene I found that the one blemish that stood out to me from an otherwise perfect game (so far) was what I saw written in the names and provinces on the map. While the Paradox team did a surprisingly good job at spelling (most) of the characters' names correctly, a lot of the Greek place names are written in a haphazard mixture of spelling styles, with quite a few mistakes here and there. There are also a few anachronisms and that sort of thing.

So, I present to you a mod to fix all those little Greek language flaws and make playing the Byzantine Empire feel that much more... Byzantine.

Byzantine Classical Greek Spelling Mod 1.3 Download

http://www.mediafire.com/?9vwvr92v9ovfhaa

Installation

Simply unzip all the files into the main game folder (don't forget to back up the originals!).

Details

• Byzantine Empire renamed to 'Eastern Roman Empire'
  • Greek personal and dynasty name spellings corrected to classical transliteration formats
  • Some new Greek personal and dynasty names added in
  • Greek province name spellings corrected
  • Greek provinces have more geographically appropriate names
  • Greek titles updated - counts are now 'archons', counties are 'archontates', duchies are now 'themes' etc.
  • Corrected names of starting characters
  • New honorific court titles - Nobelissimos, Patrikios, Protospatharios, Spatharokandidatos, Spatharios

There were actually far more honorific titles in the Byzantine court than this, but, short of making the more senior titles over-powered, there wouldn't be enough gameplay distinction to justify them. It would also be good if you were able to grant them to foreign nobles, but you can't. I also recommend that you use this mod in conjunction with the Enhanced Portraits Mod, so that your Orthodox bishops can grow proper beards and wear the right headgear!

I make no claims to perfection; if you see any mistakes of my own (or if you want to quibble about how I've rendered something), then please leave a comment here.

Last edited:
Thank you for this!!

I love the new updates! Archons! Splendid. Did you add female versions of the titles? I've tried to get the game to recognize a female doux as a doukissa (as far as I know, this is the female equivalent to a doux, but I haven't been able to find the word in the L&S dictionary to confirm).

Good point, I'd forgotten about the female versions of the titles. Yes, it would be Doukissa and Archontissa. I'm also adding Komes and Komissa for the barony-level titles (a barony will be a bandon).

Last edited:
But you'll also need to add 'despoina.' Also, why would a komes rank as a baron? There wasn't parity to the western title comes == 'count' ?

I wouldn't say so, or at least not in the gameplay terms of CK2. It wasn't a direct translation of the contemporary western title, but a remnant of Latin terminology from the earlier empire. A komes was in charge of a bandon, an area of land that was supposed to support about two to three hundred troops (in real life). When you convert it into the scale of CK2, I think that would make the bandon roughly equivalent to a barony. Technically the territorial rank below an archontate was a turmarchy, and the bandon was a rank below that. I could use the term tourmarches, though I felt that komes seemed about right.

Last edited:
I'll take your word for it. I'm far from an expert on Eastern Roman military. :p

Oh, also, empresses and empress consorts should be basilissa (or basilis, if you want to be properly Attic about it).

edit: Got bored, so I did these myself. It's probably best to implement them into your mod through a separate .csv instead of using text1.csv, so that way it won't get eaten by every new patch.

duke_female_greek;Doukissa;Doukissa;Doukissa;;Duque;;;;;;;;;x
king_female_greek;Despoina;Despoina;Despoina;;Despoina;;;;;;;;;x
emperor_female_greek;Basilissa;Basilissa;Basilissa;;Basilissa;;;;;;;;;x
emperor_title_ruler_consort_female_greek;Basilissa;Basilissa;Basilissa;;Basilissa;;;;;;;;;x

Last edited:
Thank you for this mod :happy:
This in combination with the portrait one finally makes me want to play a power in the east.

-edit
The download is broken for me. :c
Probably a problem on mediafire's side of things, though.

-edit II
Got it to work with Firefox. Seems like Chrome did block the popup in such a way that prevented me from getting the download :glare:
Had to allow every single pop-up and cookie with Firefox just to get it.

Last edited:
Awesome Work!
With the localisation, it looks like you include all the vinilla text, it would probably be better for compatibility to have a BCSC_additions.csv or something so its unique

Oh, by the way, I forgot to add duchess-consort to the list I posted above. Oops.

First; this is awesome, thanks a bunch! (And more titles would be very much appreciated... can't simulate a truly byzantine court witout superflous titles :p )

Can you add a nice royal purple colour for ERE?

I changed it to this: color={ 153 0 36 }

just open common/landed_titles.txt and change the line color={ 163 10 145 } with the one above :)

What, you don't like pink? :p

What, you don't like pink? :p

Oh, I love pink, pink is awesome (the colour, please note, not the person). It's just that ... pink doesn't go with everything? Like... less good with, say bright orange than with dark grey. Yeah. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

PS: But I rather think the focus on purple has gone from Tyrian to ... not Tyrian. Which is too bad, since Tyrian red/purple is an awesome colour.

Last edited: