• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While certainly a bitter pill to swallow, it's far easier to recover from the loss of one territory than many. Besides, now you have a good reason to go to war with the Brits again in the near future. :D

Wow, excellent AAR! I like reading it from the perspective of an EUII vet. I have never ventured into the EUI era, but your AAR makes me want to (and also that deal on gamesgate).

You know how when you play a game now that you had remembered fondly as a youth, you find it embarrassing and horrible in old age...do you ever get that feeling from EUI, or is it still viable on its own?

Ouch. must have been bad to lose Washington. Then to get the man who's name's become a synonym for 'traitor' back as leader... Still, he was apparently an able commander, despite his shifting loyalties...

I can't believe Benedict Arnold is in charge, but I guess anything can happen.

Languish: I see what you mean. I'm only doing very small sessions for this because American leaders don't last long, and anyway it's only a twenty year game. This stint went by in no time at all.

Chief Ragusa: That I agree with. Logically the English should have mopped the floor with me. I got lucky.

Then again, keep in mind that short of annexing me (which they can't, since I'm a 'major power'), the best they could do is three provinces ... so even one is pretty good.

I don't think the EU2 AI knows how to exchange maps - at least I've never seen it either. Rarely an EU2 AI will ask for a RM...but not often.

And again, I don't like the crap brown either. :) If anyone knows how to change it, I'd be grateful.

Regarding Washington, I can't believe his entire army died. Incredible.

And as for the French and Austrians fighting....well, that's a weakness of both EU1 and EU2. EU1 seems to like big alliance wide wars ... EU2 / EP is the same way. I like that, it gives a better feel for the subtle shifts in balance of power Europe underwent through this era.

Battle bunny: Oh, there WILL be a rematch with England. Just not sure when yet :)

Lord E: Again, I agree. I talk about the war more below, but yes - I was losing badly. Taking care of the Indians was a freebee, they didn't put up any struggle whatsoever.

Duke of Wellington: That IS the plan!

Draco Rexus: Exactly. It's good to have a plan. Even a bad one :)

SirGrotius: Hi! First, I know the feeling when you boot up a game you loved 10 years ago, and realize now it's just...embarassing is a good word for it. There are a number of games that awed me back in the late 80s, and now I look at them and..eww...

EU1 isn't one of them. In many ways I'm coming to the conclusion EU1 is better than 2. The AI is much, MUCH stronger....I suspect because it has less to keep track of.

Take a look at "Murray" during the last war: He ANNIHILATED my eastern army. Granted, I knew Washington was losing but I thought it close enough to use my EU2 tactic of mutual destruction - I'll lose the battle, but you won't be able to continue. No. He blew through my eastern flank. Then he ran across and crushed my other army. Then he merged with Hamilton's army and chased me into Connecticut.

Now EU2's AI can do that too. I remember in Resurrection one army in particular chased me all the way across the Deep South ... but not so decisively. I'm almost disappointed Britain offered me peace, because I was already imagining Gates and Greene making one of those heroic last stands for control of New York City.

Without going too far into speech mode, I guess my answer to your question comes down to what you want from the game. If you want a realistic feel... no, other than the alliance wars/balance of power I mentioned, EU1 can't really do that. You do have to treat EU1 as you would a loved friend - IE, don't try too hard to exploit the loopholes that violate what it's intentions are, because the exploits are there. Not that the AI is dumb, far from it... I mentioned earlier the Ottoman Empire in my other game is where they want to be. Everyone is really. Russia's even catching up on the Siberian Corridor colonization race... but yes, there are loopholes.

As I said, no realism. To me EU1 is like Star Wars: It's epic and it's fast paced. If you are going to sit there wondering how Baden came up with 50,000 men... well, you need to stop that. On the other hand, if you can accept Spain and France having cataclysmic wars for control of the Pyrennes, while their sometimes impressively large fleets bicker for control of the Caribbean, we can do business. Armies are bigger. Battles are more decisive. Assaulting fortresses appears to be a little easier. Wars are faster and deadlier in EU1 than EU2.

In the below post I mention an Austrian ship kinda wandering up the Atlantic. Soon afterwards came 3 or 4 Russians. In my other game, Parma (Italy) is in Newfoundland, and Genoa on the African coast: Realistic? Not at all. The AIs are really trying though, and I like that they might want to discuss 'politics' with me someday.

(Then again, the English, Iroquois, Teutonic Knight, Persian alliance DID make me stop for a second. :))

So...no, as I said some things about EU2 I do miss... and there are some logic errors you kinda need to let go of (remember, think epic.) Pound for pound though, it's A LOT of fun.

Grundius: Losing Washington hurts bad. He's a great leader.

Regarding Arnold...you did know EU2 is set up the same way? The Revolutionary war US gets two rank 1 leaders: Washington...and Arnold. Anyway, I think history gives Arnold a bad rap.

GeneralHannibal: Arnold was a good general. He simply let his sense of self importance (or perhaps righteous indignation) get in the way.

J. Passepartout: Like I said...losing Washington hurt. AND Benjamin Lincoln. And maybe one other. It didn't make me happy.

I think Irondequoit may be in the same area on the EU2 map....I'd have to check. I do know the next province to the west, Erie, is also out of position. :)

usa12starsmallti1.jpg

1776-1779

II: A Brave New Nation

franklinon1.jpg

Benjamin Franklin
First President of the United States Congress

Rules of the Game

The first serious issue facing the fledgling alliance of states was she had no government worth talking about.

From August 1772 on up, the Continental Congress consisted of a number of representatives from each state. The number varied, one state might have two while another had seven: The state legislatures sent who they wanted.

In the end this didn't signify as each state only had one vote anyway. With little in the way of formal procedure, the delegates argued their cases, sometimes vehemently and always with the good of their home state in mind rather than the union. Again, this was fair enough as it was the state assembly who appointed these men, and in these early days America was actually an alliance of thirteen (later twelve) colonies against the common threat. Even the decisions Congress made had little weight, since if, say, Maryland didn't like what they had to say, the Continental Congress couldn't really make them listen. Desperation, need and finally Bradley's charisma held the alliance together, but it couldn't last.

Starting in mid-July into 1777 the new president, Benjamin Franklin, led discussion on what he termed a perpetual alliance with a unified government. What came out of these debates were the Articles of Confederation.

In barest form, the Articles bound the states to a perpetual mutual defense pact against outside aggression, recognized each other's sovereignty and laws, formed the basis of Congress, and forbade (without Congressional consent) seperate treaties both amongst themselves and with outside powers.

With so many conditions and safeguards built in to ensure a small minority of states couldn't be bullied by the majority, the government deadlocked often. If South Carolina, for example, really didn't like a bill, they could stop or find ways around it even in the face of the other eleven members. Still, the Articles were far better than nothing at all, and at least it was a beginning.

Money Talks

The second greatest challenge was monetary: Despite American trade dominance in North America, there wasn't enough of it. Franklin first copied his predecessor, encouraging the three 'state' trading companies to continue pushing London out. (...which I do by July) It wasn't enough.

With some minimal centralization imposed by the Articles, Congress now took a serious look at the confederation's tax system. It didn't exist. Oh, collectors still worked the countryside, but without Congressional support few were eager to push their neighbors on the issue and invite tax 'incidents' like in the 60s. Further, with little oversight on a national or state level, corruption ran high. In 1779 Georgia hung a man who reportedly kept an estate, family, stable, free servants and slave, all on collected taxes.

This would not answer. Sweeping legislation in 1777 required the member states to update their tax rolls and reallocate how much money needed to go to the county, state and Congressional levels accordingly. It would take many years and outlast Franklin's presidency, making him an unpopular man. Newspapers openly decried Congressional greed and asked whether next Franklin expected his visage on notes like the King. Still, it needed to be done and helped pay for America's first tentative westward push. (Tax Collectors and Governors, all)

1779decev4.jpg

Hard at Work

This Land is Our Land

The destructive war between America and England left land in the Indian and Northwest Territories free of British influence. In the winter of 1776-77, Baron von Steuben advanced into Creek territory (Alabama) and there fought a fierce battle with the natives.

General Benedict Arnold meanwhile thrust deep into the Northwest Territories (Erie) and annihilated a few villages. In June he'd advance down the Ohio River valley (into Kentucky) and repeat the process.

His undeniable bloodlust, a contempt and even disgust for natives, came from America's first attempts to expand. Settlers entered Alabama in April, only to be killed by the Creek. Later that month settlers by Lake Erie were also found dead, and in some cases decapitated.
(I was just unlucky in Erie. In Alabama, I had yet to realize getting rid of the natives DOUBLED my chances.)

Furiously Congress ordered Arnold and von Steuben to rid their border of these savages. As Arnold cut his bloody path south, von Steuben fought a series of battles with the Creek and Cherokee. Finally in August 1777 Arnold arrived at the head ofthirteen thousand men, and annihilated one thousand braves near Tuscaloosa. By year's end American settlers poured into the breach.

Perhaps learning of their punitive assaults, natives in northern Massachusetts (Bangor province, Maine) began converting to Christianity in mass hoping for Congressional protection.

1778novff9.jpg

Gee, thanks

Aren't We At War?

For the entirely of Franklin's tenure, the United States technically remained at war with both the Netherlands and Austria. Technically: America had no navy, nor the money to build one. Once an Austrian warship could be seen patrolling off Norfolk, Philadelphia and New York, but it only passed through and continued on its way.

The news from Europe proved disheartening for those who loved France's alliance, though those who honored the Netherlands being the first to recognize the fledgling union smiled: In March 1776, Austria conquered Helvetia. A year later they destroyed the Palatinate.

Still, through this quasi-war the French and Spanish armies continued to help Arnold upgrade America's weapons and training. They knew that someday America would want a rematch with Britain, and looked forward to that match eagerly.

1776decdu6.jpg

One day, however, was not today nor tomorrow. As Congress shut down for the winter in 1779, Franklin announced his intent to retire. After several long, loud debates the presidency passed to one who favored gradual rapproachement with Britain, one who saw no value in a second war whatsoever:

John Adams.

Last edited:
Nice to seen something new :) And nice thats it is something short and different :cool:

Btw, not all americans will agree that the guns were stolen by Benedict Arnold and Ethan Allen. Soem will say that they were ligitimate spolis of war :rolleyes:

So... your means of expanding here was colonisation?
Well, for me, England often loses a few colonies cause of natives. I'd watch out for that-you may replace them with your own.

So the English didn’t restart the war, well then you were lucky or did well by rebuilding your relationship. Seems like the natives sure gave you a lot of troubles, so I guess you had to take care of them, but in the end it might be bad for the generals to be that used to fight natives if/when they face a real enemy they might have forgotten who to fight one. Still you seem to be doing well, and that European war isn’t much of an issue. Nice update, looking forward to see how the next president will do :)

Happy Holidays, folks. :)

I will be going out of town soon until after New Years. Take care!

Liberate your opressed Canadian Brothers!

Anyone wanna read my AAR too? :)
Throwing advertising aside, don't forget that it may be a wise idea to colonise the ex-Iroquis provinces up to cities. (The names amuse me... Owego is one thing, but Painted Post? And Bear Club??? :rofl: )

Looking fine. In fact, great stuff.

Yeah, yeah, I know. "I thought you were going away!?" I am. My trip's been delayed a day though. It's just as well. I didn't know how I was going to translate my notes when I got back. (My writing is...painful to look at. It's more a memory jogger than anything.) :)

CitizenPaul: Thanks! I've admired your Scottish AAR when I have time. (Not much of that) As for Arnold and Allen...yes, I can see why some would see it that way. Very well, they 'obtained' artillery. How's that? :)

Battle bunny: For that round, yes. I think that's what happened: During the war England lost a few colonies, so I could move in.

Duke of Wellington: Maybe they like me despite -200 relations? :)

J. Passepartout: I checked: Irondequoit and Erie are in the same spots in EU2. Ah well :) And yes, time to build the army.

Lord E: Mm..neither I think. I'm in a big alliance now, and England's already in a war with the Netherlands. I don't think they wanted a rematch.

Fulcrumvale: Or the New Hampshire ones. Same thing :)

Battle bunny: There really is a town called Painted Post, and Bear Club wouldn't surprise me either. Remember colonization up to cities is...EXPENSIVE. I think my colonization efforts might be better spent pushing England off my continent, since I can only get 3 provinces a shot in war.

Sir Humphrey: Thanks!

usa12starsmallti1.jpg

1780-1783

III: Remember New Hampshire!

adamsvizm7.jpg

John Adams
Second President of the United States Congress

Trouble at Home
Adams said:
For years we have lived under the guidance of a man that, though I admire his principles and none may question his loyalty, has done our country harm. Mister Franklin's constant tax and spend policy has left little money in the treasury, and with the current stress we place on our people we dare not ask for more. Today this ends. Today I will restore some sense of responsibility to fiscal policy.

Adams felt Franklin's work strengthening the confederation's tax system hurt merchants, and punitive tariffs on British goods meant to prevent Englishmen profiting at America's expense hurt shipping companies as well. Boston in particular was particularly hard hit, and Adams felt enormous pressure to change it. He only partially succeeded. (I was minting like crazy for my collectors and governors. In the end it wasn't that bad a deal, as governors in EU1 take off a flat 1% Still a bad habit to be in, and with Adams' outlook I was going to slow down until events ran away from me.)

First, he planned to build the American army to a "respectable" level, one that would make enemies pause and thus ensure peace. In particular, while Adams was fully committed to American independence, he hoped to restore friendship with Britain. "We have more in common with each other than not. We can only profit from each other's ideas and goods."

The American question split British parliament roughly into two camps: The Whigs shared Adams' vision of friendship, while the Tories rallied around the cry of, "We whipped them once! We can do it again!" The British army's brilliant performance in 1773 paradoxically led to severe budget cuts for the North American station: the Whigs didn't want to antagonize potential friends, while the Tories didn't think the 'Colonials' could put up any kind of fight.

Further, Adams had a new problem. Baron von Steuben retired, heading home to Europe and Adams sent Nathaniel Greene to replace him. Meanwhile, open argument between Maryland and Virginia over their western borders escalated as partisans fought for control of the Shenandoah Valley. Both state governments condemned the attacks to no avail, so Adams reluctantly ordered General Arnold to deal with them in June.

Perhaps all this encouraged Frederick, Lord North, Prime Minister of Britain. On July 6, Britain declared war on France over privateering incidents in the Caribbean with a friendly note to Adams to, in effect, mind his own affairs.

Abandoning France would leave America alone, with a very powerful, hostile neighbor. Friendship might come with Britain, but in 1780 even Adams realized that was still years away. Nonetheless, he proposed a secret agreement with North: America would honor her commitments, then simply garrison the borders against overly eager British commanders.

Many liked this idea, though a vocal minority cried for New Hampshire's liberation. Then Adams' clerk 'accidentally' leaked North's letter. It's arrogant, domineering tone infuriated Congressional delegates and an embarassed Adams retracted his compromise. The United States would have their rematch. (ENGLAND, Hannover, Portugal, Persia, Savoy vs. FRANCE, United States, Spain, Genoa, Baden)

Round Two

1780juliw7.jpg

The war caught the American army out of position. General Arnold was still on his way to fight Maryland and Virginia partisans. Horatio Gates was more or less ready to go, but General Bridgewater in charge of recruiting near Boston found himself horribly below the twenty thousand men he wanted. Nathaniel Greene rushed southward to take over von Steuben's command, who under Colonel Malcolm Fremont struck south towards Mobile.

On July 30, Benedict Arnold shattered the Virginia partisans and threatened the same against Maryland supporters. Satisfied he had the situation stabilized, he rushed north in the general direction of the St. Lawrence River. His final destination would depend on General Gates.

Gates, meanwhile, coordinated closely with the Marquis de Lafayette. He split his army, moving to Fort Ticonderoga and the Marquis reclaimed New Hampshire. In early August Lafayette sieged Chantilly, while Gates fought his way past British allied Indians to Ottawa. There he detached two regimental commands to Generals Sandwich and Thaddeus Kosciuszko to take over the Canadian interior and thus force Britain to the table. (Kosciuszko showed up in one of the detachments in January. Grr.)

Bridgewater fought his way through New Brunswick to Nova Scotia. He dared not tackle Halifax though, perhaps the most heavily fortified city in the hemisphere, and instead detached troops to circle in back towards Quebec.

General Arnold's moves north were tentative at best. Mostly this was because of contradictory orders: So far British resistance amounted to one regiment, but this commander had not only destroyed Greene but now wreaked havoc through Virginia, Pennsylvania and into New York. Finally he decided Quebec could wait, and on January 14, 1781 smashed the interloper near Allentown, Pennsylvania.

By now Colonel Fremont's three regiments had worked their way back north and invaded British trading posts east of the Mississippi. He chose a different tactic from his Canadian counterparts and simply burned any British holdings down, sending civilians to the coast to await the end of the war so they could go back to England.

1781janjo4.jpg

January 1781

Meanwhile in March 1781 the Maryland partisans Arnold hoped to intimidate rose into open rebellion ... against Pennsylvania. On April 16 they demanded incorporation into Maryland. When the Maryland Assembly told them to cease and desist, they declared themselves a new state: Victoria (for victory). No one ever acknowledged this, and the sole Victorian delegate to Congress was imprisoned for treason.

General Gates finally arrived in Montreal, Arnold in Quebec. Having taken Chantilly, Lafayette rushed back to New Hampshire and Massachusetts where two British regiments, having come ashore at Goshen (Portland, Maine), wreaked havoc. These too fell.

With British armed resistance nearly non-existent, Tories and Loyalists saw their chances for eventual repatriation vanishing. In June 1781 they seized Dover and Wilmington, Delaware and instantly seceded from the American alliance, asking for colonial status.

Even Britain didn't answer however. Most of their army continued to fight French, Dutch and Austrians around the world. They couldn't afford what Whigs openly called "a weeping sore." In a vote of no confidence, Lord North's government collapsed in July 1781. The new one immediately contacted America, offering Tuscarora, Tennessee and Fox (modern day Alabama, Tennesee, and Indiana/Illinois) for peace.

Adams replied that any peace MUST include New Hampshire. After a week of negotiations, America welcomed New Hampshire home, received eastern New York (Vermont), as well as Mobile for a gulf port. With France's defeating Austria the year before, America finally knew peace....unless you count the Indians, which Americans didn't. (RPing here. The 'puter offered me 3. I wanted Sebago.)

Let's Kill Some Injuns

Thanks to Colonel Fremont's raids, more land on America's frontier opened to their influence.

First there were little problems at home. While Gates and Bridgewater retreated to the border, General Arnold rushed south and destroyed 'Victoria' as well as the Delaware loyalists. Continued influence by and coordination with the French and Spanish paid vast dividends: Artillery and fortification technology improved, and the Spanish gave America more accurate clocks, both for use on land and by ships at sea. (Navy 34, Land 44-45)

Fremont and Arnold cleared the border lands of Indians, who fought bravely. They could not really harm the invading armies, but the natives proved effective at 'irregular' warfare, interrupting shipments, ambushing underprotected convoys, and generally proving a nuisance. Only a determined push led to Americans arriving at Lake Michigan. There they built a fortress to plan future operations. (Jul 82: Colonize Hindua. Apr 83: Fortification Effort: +1, Hindua)

1783decjx9.jpg

North America, 1783

As Adams' tenure came to an end, two things became abundantly clear:

First, American survival and expansion in these early years depended on the strength of her army. Thus, while Congressional/Army relations tended to be warm with the notable exception of Horatio Gates, it might be just as well to have someone experienced in military affairs as president.

Second, the incidents in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Delaware showed obvious cracks in the Confederation. America would have to do better.

Fortunately, they had a new delegate who understood these matters, a former army general injured years past. Just as importantly, he was a Virginian. After two Pennsylvanians and Adams, the South began to mutter about representation.

The new president was George Washington.
(Whose presidency doesn't begin til '87. Ooh, the EU1 US monarch file is strange!)

Last edited: