• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CatKnight

Disciple of Peperna
85 Badges
May 20, 2004
  • Victoria 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Legio
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Diplomacy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
continentalsmallys6.jpg

1763-1772

0: Twilight's Last Gleaming

Americans and Europeans, especially British, are taught two different versions of the same tale. Oh, they agree on all the important facts: In December 1772 Benedict Arnold and Ethan Allen surprised the garrison at Fort Saratoga, New York and stole their artillery. This they transported through the Pioneer Valley of Massachusetts to George Washington, commander of the Continental Army at Boston. Everyone agrees this final break had been coming for a decade after the end of the Seven Years War. They even go so far as acknowledging the war started over whether the American colonies should pay taxes imposed by the British parliament.

The versions differ when it's time to assign blame. Americans argue that taxes imposed by an outside body, which the average colonist had no hope of influencing half a world away and did not vote for, weren't legal. Until the decisive battle of Bunker Hill in late December, where Washington captured General Gates and secured Massachusetts, the colonists would have happily settled for some sort of compromise.

Britons at the time argued that the need for increased taxes was due to expenses incurred during the war. Though colonists did help fight the French, it was the British army, organization and combat doctrine that won the day. The American colonies were much less likely to be attacked with no French in Canada. Further, it was only right to help support the state that ensured your liberty and safety from your enemies.

When Americans formed the "Stamp Act" or First Continental Congress to fight these taxes, Parliament backed down ... then immediately passed the Quebec Act to reassert their authority. Americans call this and a new set of taxes the "Intolerable Acts", as they felt their intent was to coerce the colonists into submission. The Quebec Act in particular effectively voided the thirteen colonies' claims to land west of the Appalachian Mountains, securing the south as Indian Territory and giving the north to Quebec.

Colonists responded with more or less open defiance, including tossing crates of tea into Boston Harbor. This led to the city being blockaded and taken over by General Thomas Gage. This was bad enough: Then a demonstration where British soldiers claimed partisans threw rocks at them turned deadly when they opened fire. These killings sparked outrage through the colonies.

The Second Continetal Congress assembled in August 1772. As aforementioned, at first they hoped to secure some form of compromise and calm down growing tensions. The Brits refused to negotiate with an illegal body, suspended the charters of all thirteen colonies, and announced their intent to install military governments.

Reluctantly they authorized George Washington of Virginia to raise a body of soldiers. His task was to reclaim Boston, hopefully sending the Brits a message they would not be bullied. On December 21, 1772 he seized the port city.

Seven days later Guy Carleton, Governor of Canada, acting on behalf of the Crown, ordered a general advance to "secure our rightful holdings from these rebels and traitors."

The war for the fate of a continent and the destiny of a people had just begun.

1773setupqm8.jpg

North American Political, 1773

1773tacticaltq7.jpg

North American Tactical, January 1773 (Southern colonies are clear of troops)

1773setup2fi8.jpg

Setup (Who's Bradley??)

1773setup3un5.jpg

More Setup (US is at Infra 9, Trade 9 btw)

1773europevv1.jpg

Western Europe, 1773 (the unnamed countries should be obvious)

Last edited:
Let me deal with the obvious questions, then we'll get into gameplay.

Why a third AAR? I downloaded EU1 from Gamers Gate the other day, and I found I liked it. There are certainly some things I miss compared to EU2, but the ease of the interface, rapid nature of battles and such appeal to me. In two days I blitzed through 65 years - a feat I've never had the patience for with EU2.

Why the US when I have another American AAR?

I've always been fascinated by the US Revolution, and my EU2 American AAR is more fanfic now than anything. Fun fanfic though!

Second, looking through the EU1 library I found three US AARs: Two lasted one year. One lasted ten, but only one post. I thought it'd be nice to start a non-GC AAR.

Third, I'm an American. 'Nuf said. :)

Most importantly, there's only nineteen years before the game ends ... so this should be a quick journey.

EU2 fans: In case you've forgotten (or never played), the biggest differences I've found so far are:
* No domestic sliders
* No forcevassalization
* Very few historical events. Some of the random events are tied to leaders, but mainly if you want to get something done...you have to do it yourself. At first this put me off, but Austria automatically getting Bohemia and Hungary puts me off more. The game feels more dynamic this way, which incidentally is what EU3 is aiming for.
* You can't see your army size limit - but that's okay as the penalty is much reduced.
* You can't see your BB.
* You can't convert a province (no priests.)

Now...the nuts and bolts:

EU1, version 1.10 (I assume this release is prepatched). Age of Revolutions (1773) scenario - not "American Dream" as that's a specific scenario and ends when the war's over. Normal/Weakling, Dynamic Missions off, everything else on. Naturally I'm playing as the US.

As for the game title, it has a double meaning for me:

"By the Dawn's Early Light" is a line from the Star Spangled Banner - the US anthem. The meaning there is obvious.

Also, with EU1 I am going back to the dawn of my Paradox playing career. I briefly had EU1 - was confused by it and put it away - and even after getting EU2 occasionally missed it.

Incidentally, my EU1 gaming career consists of that one failed attempt, and 65 years as Austria. Wish me luck: I could very well go down in flames. :)

CatKnight said:
EU2 fans: In case you've forgotten (or never played), the biggest differences I've found so far are:
* No domestic sliders
* No forcevassalization
* Very few historical events. Some of the random events are tied to leaders, but mainly if you want to get something done...you have to do it yourself. At first this put me off, but Austria automatically getting Bohemia and Hungary puts me off more. The game feels more dynamic this way, which incidentally is what EU3 is aiming for.
* You can't see your army size limit - but that's okay as the penalty is much reduced.
* You can't see your BB.
* You can't convert a province (no priests.)

And you can forceannex any non-major nation in one go, no matter how many provinces he has. Downside: conquer max 3 provs if not annexing.

Aahh... good ol'EU1. Never ever finished a game, but it got me hooked on the awesome series!

Good luck!

This certainly looks very interesting CatKnight, seems you have a nice setup there. I sure hope there are more people that will take up the offer from Paradox and get EUI for only 1 dollar, it might be old, but as you say it is back to the beginning of Paradox and ever fan should certainly own and have enjoyed EUI.
Looking forward to more and good luck :)

Nice, very nice. Any chance you could change the US to something other than that turd-brown colour, though?

Jeez, Cat! You keep this up and I just might feel the gumption to try my hand at writing a second AAR (*looks around warily to insure no one over hears and starts an angry mob*).

This, however, should prove interesting. I cannot wait to see how you do. ;)

This is the first EUI AAR I will have ever read.

Looks interesting, I'll try to keep an eye on it.

It's been a loooong time since I played EUI, but I recall it fondly. Good luck and it will be very interesting to watch you deal with the change in gameplay (though from what I recall, it wasn't terribly drastic, just different.)

Grundius: And another small thing or two. Well, at least the engine's close enough to EU2 I can figure out what it wants to do :) I think without historical events the EU1 engine NEEDS to be able to annex in one go: In my other game it saved the Spanish with the Aztecs and Incas, and now everyone's colonizing more or less fine.

Lord E: Old, but very impressive. In my other game, the AI is doing WELL. Turkey's in the middle of Hungary. Austria's about the right size. North American colonization is iffy, as is Russian, but the smaller nations we'd expect to be eaten right away...Savoy for example..are still around. I'm pleased.

Chief Ragusa: Yes... Bluntly, I'm thinking Paradox didn't put much thought into the North American part of this scenario. See my notes for Bradley at the end of the post ... my next leader is Benjamin Franklin - nope. Minor things that really mean nothing, but as an American I find annoying. It's not like this is in an era with a non-European country and very poor record keeping.

Vincent Julien: I'd love to! Do you know how? If EU1 has a country.csv file, it's hiding really well!

J. Passepartout: You're gonna love this. Maryland is Pagan.

They're all pagan.

Canada? Pagan. French Louisiana? Pagan. New Spain? Pagan. The entire hemisphere is Pagan. Again, I suspect Paradox wasn't overly worried with the North American setup.

Battle bunny: Yep! One of the first things I checked. The US in EU2 has a ton of leaders as well!

Draco Rexus: Wait no more :)

Fulcrumvale: Welcome! I've read a few EU I AARs ... I admire the map, it's prettier and I like to be able to zoom out to a continental level. First time playing after that 65 year run (now uhm...150 years in)

GeneralHannibal: Okay!

coz1: The changes are mostly subtle. You're expecting a piece of info and it ain't there (or doesn't even matter.) Battles and therefore wars seem to go faster. The AI appears to LOVE pirates. That kind of thing

Duke of Wellington: And the Spanish flag....that 'X' may be accurate, but I find it ugly.

continentalsmallys6.jpg

1773-1775

I: Who IS This Man!?

bradleyed7.jpg

Edward Bradley
President of the 2nd Continental Congress

As the American Revolution, or Insurrection in some quarters, passed the point of no return the Continental Congress elected Edward Bradley (see Note 1) as president. Bradley was born in Philadelphia in 1741. He'd participated as a junior member in the Stamp Act Congress. Parliament's coercive attempts to reassert control convinced him independence was America's only option.

He ordered George Washington, as commander of the Continental Army, to prepare plans to repel the expected Canadian invasion. He replied with Operation: Spider Web

1773janmd2.jpg

Setting Fire to the Web

Spider Web called for a five-pronged attack on British holdings. The brilliant Prussian, Baron Friedrich von Steuben, would taken an all cavalry force into Indian territory and seize all British holdings he could find. Major General Charles Lee would do much the same in Canada.

General Nathaniel Greene struck northwest into Niagara. Once successful he'd either strike into Shawnee territory or, if needed, help with the attack on Quebec. Horatio Gates struck up through the Hudson River valley to attack Fort Ticonderoga, and so on to Montreal.

Washington himself would wait for General James Murray, the first British governor of Quebec who'd won prominence during the Seven Years War.

On January 27, 1773 the first battle of the Revolution was fought in the Adirondacks of northern New York. The British had similar ideas to their American counterparts: small armies to quickly seize the unfortified areas. Lee's cavalry surprised one thousand infantry. Learning from prisoners of a general advance against New York, he held position and waited for Gates.

General Gates met him in mid-February, and together they advanced on Fort Ticonderoga. There they met Major General James Inglis Hamilton. on March 5th. Gates outnumbered him two to one, but the Scotsman's defenses easily nullified the American advantage.

Far to the south, von Steuben encountered a small group of British raiders in the Appalachian Mountains. The harsh, rocky terrain of western Virginia defeated American cavalry, and in a series of running battles through March and April the Prussian retreated towards North Carolina.

The greatest battle would come on the shores of the northern Massachusetts (Maine) territory. There General Washington, with twelve thousand infantry and fifteen hundred cavalry, met General Murray with twelve thousand mixed and twenty cannon on February 21.

camdenzf6.jpg

Washington anchored his men between Penobscot Bay and Lake Megunticook, interspersing his cavalry. Murray replied with a general advance along the bay, while setting up artillery near Lake Megunticook protected by his cavalry. The cannon raked a murderous fire across the American line, and Washington's cavalry, led by Benjamin Lincoln, couldn't reform without disrupting the infantry currently fighting for its life against Murray's attack..

Around ten a.m. a detachment of infantry went after the cannon, only to run into the English cavalry. This attempt broke the American left flank, and cavalry poured into the gap rolling up the line.

By the end of the day, the Americans lost four thousand and Murray sent nine thousand prisoners, mostly wounded, to Halifax including General Washington. (Army annihilated!)

On April 8, General Greene crushed one thousand defenders near Fort Niagara in Canada. However, Washington's destruction resulted in a change of plan. Murray already seized all of New Hampshire and now advanced into eastern New York (Vermont.) Greene left behind a detachment of infantry under Colonel Fairfield to hold Niagara, then sent cavalry Colonel Sandwich north into Canada. Greene then retreated towards the Albany, New York where Gates was licking his wounds.

Two weeks later, General Hamilton caught up with him. The Battle of Albany promised to be a bloody draw, dirty street to street fighting, when suddenly General Murray appeared on the American flank.

Gates fled to Connecticut, ordering Greene and General Bridgewater, in charge of fresh recruits from New York and New Jersey, to meet him there. Upon arriving in Hartford he turned out the colony's cannon and hastily trained men in their use. (10K infantry in NY, 30 cannon in CT).

Perhaps what happens next is owed to Colonel Sandwich's ride. In late April he advanced into Oshawa, and after fighting British allied Huron Indians took the city. The English west flank was as bare as the American east, and he had a free run to Hudson Bay.

Or perhaps it was the London and Bristol merchants furious over the American trade embargo levied in April. At any rate, having seized Albany General Murray gathered his forces and prepared to destroy Gates at Hartford. In reply, Gates prepared to abandon the city and instead make his stand at New York. As the two armies maneuvered through western Connecticut, President Bradley met with British ambassadors. The terms, while harsh, were better than the Americans had a right to expect.

1773mayvm0.jpg

At the price of New Hampshire and eastern New York, the Americans won their freedom.

Preparations

Congress had its fair share of fools, but most realized the British respite was but an attempt to lull them into a sense of false security, and sooner or later they'd want the rest of their colonies back. Though part of the treaty lifted the trade embargo against British merchants, Bradley actively encouraged American companies to compete with them in every city of the former colonies. The state sponsored American, National and Southern Trading Companies (based in Boston, Philadelphia and Charleston respectively) won their charters in '73, and monopolized colonial trade as early as August 1774. They then proceeded to push the Londoners out.

In July, the Netherlands became the first country to formally recognize American independence, signing an extensive (if short lived) non-aggression pact. (RM) Three months later, US ambassador to France Benjamin Franklin announced he'd arranged to join their offensive/defensive alliance, consisting of France, Spain, the Palatinate, Helvetia and Parma.

The Spanish first resisted these upstarts, worried an American independence movement to lead to similar problems in New Spain. Bradley assured the Spanish ambassador America had no interest in causing trouble for their allies. The Spaniard demanded, as a sign of faith, access to American (meaning British) maps. Congress agreed. (Spain asks to trade, May 1774)

America slowly recovered from her violent spat with Britain, however Army morale remained understandably low. Horatio Gates emerged as commander in chief when it became clear General Washington's injuries would keep him off the battlefield. He proposed the easiest way to restore the fledgling Army was a quick, easy, near bloodless war. Where could they find such a foe though?

1774jultt6.jpg

Indian Wars

Colonel Sandwich, and later Colonel Fairfield as well fought Hurons near Fort Niagara. Suspicious the Iroquois might join any future attacks on American sovereignty, Congress opted for a preemptive strike. The fact this meant more land for New York and Pennsylvania, while opening up border areas for Virginia played well with the delegates from those powerful states. Through the spring of 1774, Gates moved his armies into position. On July 1, Congress authorized a general advance.

This wasn't a declared war: One did not bother with formalities against the native tribes populating America, and as such the French alliance wasn't only not asked to help, but didn't know about the fighting until mid-September.

On July 20, newly appointed General Sandwich arrived in Tuscarora and easily defeated the defenders. One week later Gates and Greene did the same. Total American losses for all three battles numbered less than three hundred. For the next month the three armies cleared out the last braves foolish enough to fight, and on August 21, 1784 the Iroquois Confederation ceased to exist as a land holding entity.

Aftermath

General Gates' crowning achievement also became his downfall. He'd won America's second war in under two months, and before that rallied the northern armies after Washington's capture. Over the fall of '74 he grew more prolific, openly sharing opinions with the American people in newspapers and approaching state assemblies. What he wanted is unclear: The Presidency perhaps, or a knighthood maybe. Certainly he expected recognition, and Congress was indeed guilty of the lack.

Horatio Gates said:
You send your tax money to Philadelphia, and for what? Protection? They are merchants and politicians. When have they ever protected anything but their purse and their backs? It is the Army that fights your enemies, the Army that keeps you safe. Do you really think our enemies would abide by our borders, nothing more than lines on a map, if the Army wasn't there to keep them in line?

What Gates received instead was a number of powerful enemies. In retrospect, few were surprised when Congress retaliated in January 1775, appointing General Benedict Arnold, the hero of the raid on Saratoga in 72, Commander in Chief.

Through 1775 American relations with her three friends - France, Spain and the Netherlands continued to improve. Once more they engaged in trading maps. Still, Congress understood Gates' point well enough: A strong army would be needed to secure the peace. Depending on your friends too much only led to another type of bondage, so in June they authorized General Arnold to raise twenty thousand infantry to replace losses from the wars.

1775junpi6.jpg

20K Infantry

As Congress broke for Winter in November 1775, President Bradley announced his intent to retire. In closed session, Congress appointed Ambassador Benjamin Franklin as his successor pending appointment by the Pennsylvania legislature.

November also saw England and allies declare war on the Netherlands and their particular friend, Austria. America watched sadly, but there wasn't much they could do. Then on December 9, 1775 America received a shock: France declared war on Austria. The Netherlands honored their commitment, so now the United States was technically at war with one of their greatest friends. (Nov: ENGLAND, Hannover, Portugal, Persia(?), Savoy vs. NETHERLANDS, Austria) (Dec: FRANCE, Spain, Palatinate, Helvetia, Parma, US vs AUSTRIA, Netherlands, Naples)

1776poltm7.jpg

--------------

Note 1: I THINK I've figured it out. The American monarch file doesn't begin until 1776 with Franklin. I suspect the game gave me a random name from my leadership file.

Incidentally, if President Bradley looks suspiciously like a US newscaster for CBS ... you're right. He's THAT cool. Rumors of his being born in 1941 are just that, and his 'death' in November was a necessary fraud. Like King Arthur, he'll return during our darkest hour to lead us into...

...hey, there he is now!

CatKnight said:
There are certainly some things I miss compared to EU2, but the ease of the interface, rapid nature of battles and such appeal to me. In two days I blitzed through 65 years - a feat I've never had the patience for with EU2.

I think you just summed up (really well i might add) why i still play EU1 in preference to EU2. I don't recall finishing more than a couple of EU2 games compared to countless EU1 games.

The English let you off much too lightly. Now, you are technically allies.

Nobody ever offers to exchange maps with me in EU2 or offers RM and it removes 2 of my diplomats when someone breaks a RM with me.

As for the colour - you do rather well with Teal. I'd not have any willingness at all to fight for the nasty brown blob.

I am surprised George Washington was captured; he was rather adroit at running away.

Seeing the French fight the Austrians does rather go against the alliance that the Bourbons and Habsburgs had from the early 1750s until the end of the ancien regime in France.

Well, you got away quite cheap. I never could manage to gain any serious territory in the first war.
However, you may still clash with the English, as 19 years is still 19 years which can go in war. Be careful.

I think you got a little lucky when the English offered you that peace deal, it sounded like they had given you a bloody nose and was on their way to win the war, so I guess you got lucky. It seems like a clever move to take care of the Indians to train your forces. Seems like you are stating to make friends and allies in the world, and that is very well, good going. Let us hope that this war won’t destroy too much of the good relationship or make the English decide to attack you again…

CatKnight said:
And the Spanish flag....that 'X' may be accurate, but I find it ugly.
Quite true. Also the little red conscription tents and the Indian cities and the event pop-ups...... So much really :)

A good start. Losing one province isn't too bad. In the long run you will find your feet and reclaim it I am sure.