• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You should never have enough cash to purchase a province.

I want CRUSHING DEBT!!!

One example of this is the famous exhange between Denmark, Sweden and Gottorp of land in Schleswig and Holstein, which did a lot to clear up the chaotic situation in that area and reduce overall tensions.

Equal exchanges of land happened from time to time, usually for economic or strategic reasons, so that could easily be in the game. Outright purchases of territories, however, should be very rare.

I'd like to see exchanges, but I would like at least to be able to give provinces away.
Its sometimes very irritating to not be able to give a province away.

I expect this and more will be in EU3. It would also be good to make demands. I think if a country gives in to demands it should get the protection of a peace treaty.

I would say the game should allow you to buy colonial provinces only, but let you give away (NOT sell) any province. I've often had times when I'd like to build up an ally or minor in some area an it would be much easier if I could give away my provinces.

Buying provinces in Europe should be so rare as to be non-existant so might as well be removed or handled by events. Selling Euro provinces is too open to exploits. If it was included, and you did sell one of your own provinces, you should permenantly lose your claim on that province.

Furthermore, if you sell a colonial province to someone it might be useful to give the seller some sort of 'anti-claim' on any sold provinces. These would be a temporary malus which would expire after a few decades or so, but would have the effect of if you conquered a territory with an 'anti-claim' on it you'd get extra bad-boy. Thus making it harder to say, sell some colonial provinces to someone for cash and then easily invade them and take them back.

After all, who'd trust you after you did something cheap like that?

From a multiplayer point of view, such a feature would be highly useful, very welcome, and perhaps even necessary.

Once again I will cite the original game's rules concerning this:
32.3 ALLIANCES
C. Dynastic Ties
A pair of players may conclude a marriage between the ruling families of their realms, so as to create family ties. They can no longer declare war on each other without Casus Belli (CB). This allienace last for the whole duration of the next 2 consecutive turns [of 5 years each], except when specific events occurs, forcing its cancellation.

C.1 To conclude this marriage, one of the two players has to offer a dowry to the other.
C.1.1 The dowry has to be 100 ducats (minimum, more can be offered), or consist of one single province, Colony or Trading-post, immediately ceded to the other, receiving, party upon conclusion of the agreement (i.e. at the end of the Diplomatic Phase).
C.1.1 The ceded province, Colony or Trading-post must be 100% under the control of the ceding player, ie.e it is not possible to cede any territory in revolt or occupied by another player at the time of the dynastic treaty.
C.2 The two players are authorized in addition to exchange an extra province, Colony or Trading-post.
C.2.1 This exchange may be made in addition to the dowry (e.g. exhange of one province + dowry of a province / or 100+ ducats), but it is not compulsory and may never involve national provinces.
C.2.2 This extra transfer costs 1 level of Stability to the ceding party.
C.3 The dynastic alliance can be canceled at any time. The party that cancels it loses 2 Stability levels.
C.4 Only the dynastic alliance allows players to cede or exchange a province, Colony or Trading-post. Each ceded possession has to be specified at the time of the alliance conclusion.
C.4.1 Each ceding costs 1 level of Stability to the ceding party.
C.5 The player that pays the dowry can benefit from a War of Succession inside the other player's country, i.e. he is allowed to declare war on that country as if he had a CB, or on the contrary he is allowed to enter a war as a ally of that same country (See 53.35), as if he had a defensive alliance with it.
C.5.1 This is valid only if a dynastic Crisis occurred in the country that received the dowry.
C.6 A dynastic alliance cannot be renewed with the same player less than 3 complete turns after the official end (i.e. be it after two turns of earlier because it was previously broken) of the previous alliance.
C.7 A dynastic alliance cannot be formed with a player of a different religion unless a 2 Stability levels loss is incurred for doing so.
C.7.1 This applies until 1615 between Protestant and Catholic countries and until 1665 between Catholic / Protestant and Orthodox Christians countries. It always applies between all Christians and Muslims.
C.8 Historical Option (not recommended for play balance): A dynastic alliance can never be formed by Turkey with any other player.
There was a mechanism in the board game that spawned Pradox's EU series. I therefore find it entirely reasonable to include something along these lines in the computer version of the game.

-Pat