Buyer Beware, Potential QA issues at Paradox may affect the quality of Ck3.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number One

Major
71 Badges
Apr 19, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Knights of Honor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
The following is a copy/paste of a thread that was closed with no reason given started by cac579, since no actual contravention of the forum rules took place from what i can discern (no reason was given as to why it was locked.). I felt it appropriate to repost the thread, I feel this sort of information should be available to any potential customers when deciding to purchase a Paradox game.

Thank you for this information cac579

Regards, Number One.

EDIT: the link now appears to redirect away from the review page for some reason(for me at least) the reviews can still be found by typing "glassdoors paradox" into google and navigating from there.

EDIT: I also went ahead and reposted this in the steam forums of Ck3, it has since been closed. Please scroll to the bottom of the page to see the reason why!

TLDR it got removed for being off topic in the ck3 steam discussions.........................

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Paradox-Interactive-Reviews-E1008028.htm

I looked through this and I was very surprised (PR strikes again). This also explains why the major titles are very unpolished with a lot of bugs. I have thought, along with other people, that Paradox's games don't have as much staff as they should have and the games are hurting as a result. It also makes a lot of sense why the games are still fun and enjoyable even if the games aren't polished (creativity and passion). And since now it looks like Paradox ain't hiding anymore with the release of their blatant cash grab mobile game (pulled back because of bad QA) this needs attention.

Some of the issues noted in these anonymous posts is that:

1. Paradox offers very low wages despite the financial growth of the company and exploits developer’s passion about the game.

A current employee writes:“Paradox, and particularly PDS, have very low wages compared to other game devs/publishers in Stockholm 5-15k pm lower depending on position”

Another currently employee confirms:

“Paradox feels your passion is enough to compensate for your low pay, and that it is a privilege to work for them.”

2. Quality Assurance is all over the place. QA testers are often mistreated, blamed, ignored and fired without noticed:

A current employee writes: “They are overworked, with most doing the workload of two people. Their reports and quality verdicts are regularly ignored (ever wondered why most products launch with major issues? this is why). On top of all that, they are regularly disrespected, lied to and blamed for problems. When any of these issues are pointed out to anyone higher up, QA are told that actually all the problems are caused by their “attitude" or “toxicity".”

Another current employee writes:

“In 2019, Paradox fired all of Publishing QA. We were saddened by the news but understood the decision. However, there was no public or internal announcement of this because management didn't deem it "necessary" to inform the company, or the public, that this had happened. I found out my co-workers had been fired over facebook, it's absurd. Over the next few weeks, they were pushed out the door as fast as possible and with minimum effort/expense. This led to a lot of confusion, for example product owners coming to the Studio QA to ask where the Publishing QA were, then being informed that they had all been fired weeks ago.”

3. Favoritism and allegations of sexual misconduct:

A current employee writes: “There have been multiple reports of sexual misconduct at the company over the last two years. The ones that were reported have not been handled well at all. With many of them remaining in their positions or power/management over the individuals who reported them. Or even getting promoted “out of the way”.”

I hope these issues can be addressed but not with BS PR.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
If remotely true, this is indeed sad - to say the least.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown

If this is true, then it is a sad and common tale of a company growing too fast from being a small passion project.
Especially the accusation of nepotism among "old guard" is emblematic of that kind of situation, since the people involved probably don't realise thats whats happening either.

I wish these reviews were more widely known. It puts the last few paradox titles into perspective; extremely passionate and talented people working at a project that they love to work on, but being restricted by time limitations or money.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Id like to know why the original thread was taken down without explanation ( i believe got a warning saying he was trolling )? Is paradox really that insecure about the way they treat there employees?

I mean, some of this I have heard before. Some I know to be true. But some of this is just news to me.

^^^^^^^ https://twitter.com/fnwilborn/status/1185870185657503744 ^^^^^^^

S8T8QLB.png

https://www.metacritic.com/person/frithjof-nikolai-wilborn

Supposedly this fellow worked at paradox on crusader kings II in some minor capacity.

Last edited:
For those who don't have a GD account and can't see the second page:

"Focused only on making money but pays very little"
I have been working at Paradox Interactive full-time for more than a year
"Pros

There are some nice and skilled people that makes the day to day life wonderful. The games are cool.

Cons

Among the nice people are also some toxic ones that get away with their behaviour because they've been there for a long time. Salary is low, multiple people including myself feel like we have to continue to work on the side in order to earn a stable enough living to provide for oneself and one's family. No relocation aid. People speak more Swedish rather than English which they claim is the company language. You don't have good career opportunities unless you rub elbows with the right people.

Advice to Management

You claim to pay average and fair, but people shouldn't feel like they have to work multiple jobs to work at your company! Using the excuse that you should only work here if you want too isn't going to help you in keeping new people, you'll reputation will affect the pool of candidates, so why not try to invest in the people you have instead of only promoting a select few who already earns more than enough."

"Great Co-Workers, Low Salary"
"I worked at Paradox Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers! I really feel like they are taking diversity seriously and try to find talented people with different backgrounds, and people are generally nice and helpful. Almost no overtime, except for a few times just before a deadline to make it in time.

Cons

Extremely low salary. During my time I've seen many unpaid interns work for several months, sometimes half a year, just to be replaced by new interns."

"Low Salary, Non-existing benefits"
I worked at Paradox Interactive full-time for more than a year

"Pros

I worked with a lot of great people which made my stay at the company enjoyable for a while. Low salary and mismanagement ruined what could have been a great workplace. Good equipment and offices.

Cons

Extremely low salary and miss management causes people to leave effectively draining talent from the company. Something you can clearly tell from the quality bar of existing products. The cheapest company I've ever worked for. Cost cutting to the extreme & no respect for their customers releasing unfinished & buggy projects. I'm amazed that they still have a strong community.

Advice to Management

Raise average salaries to the accepted standard. (Your statistics of what the average salary for working in development is severely distorted)."

Reactions:
When a thread is closed by a moderator, you don't start a new one, without permission.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.