• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter Nine

Now Benjamin was walking in the wilderness between Ramoth and Sarid, and this was in the Hill Country of Ephraim, above the valley of Jezreel, and it was late in the year, and it was the fifteenth year since the return of the Israelites to the country that The Lord had promised them. And Benjamin was travelling alone, with few servants, for he wished to see the skies above him, and the stars, and he wished to prayer to The Lord in his isolation and know Him in that way.

And Benjamin every year did this thing, to go out alone into the wilds to fast and to pray, and the people of Israel saw this and knew that Benjamin was a man of G-d and righteous, and worthy to lead them in war, and to Judge over them in peace times.

But Benjamin was troubled in his heart and he did not know peace and came to pray to The Lord and to find solace, for he had done an ill thing in the eyes of The Lord, or so it seemed to Benjamin and would now make atonement for his error.

Najran was a man of Gad, the son of Mattha, and he had been accused of stealing from the flocks of the men of Asher, and fights there had been, and much discourse and much dispute, and Benjamin had been called to Judge in this matter, for there was bloodshed, and one side saying one thing and another side saying another thing, and agreement in all this there was none.

So Benjamin had came to Beth-Hoglah, on the north edge of the Arabah, of the Salt Sea, and he had Judged there.

Testimony had been given, and countered and given again, and Benjamin had listened in wisdom and had pronounced, and Najran had been sentenced to be stoned to death with stones for his crime, and he was taken forth, to that certain place, and there was stoned to death with stones for his crime. And justice had been done in the eyes of G-d.

But wonders then happened in Beth-Hoglah, that gave light to the matter, fire was kindled from nothing, the river burned like wood, boils sprouted on faces and burst with stench, and breath grew hard and weary and all thought that death had come to Beth-Hoglah. And Benjamin prayed and sacrificed and made offerings to G-d but this still the wonders came.

Then Petan, of Asher, son of Buki, came to Benjamin and confessed his crime, and confessed with oaths and in front of all, that Najran, the son of Mattha, had been innocent, and that the man of guilt had been he Petan, the son of Buki, and that he had paid men to give false testimony to blame Najran, “for ever did I hate Najran son of Mattha, and ever did I seek to do him wrong, yet now I have brought wrong upon all of Israel, and upon the people of Beth-Hoglah.”

And Benjamin struck him, and cursed him to the ground, and there Petan fell dead, and all the afflictions of Beth-Hoglah departed. But yet was Benjamin's heart troubled.

Yet was Benjamin's heart troubled, so he went forth into the wilderness, to fast and to make offerings to G-d and to weep for his part in the death of Najran.

Benjamin made tent for the night, and made to sleep, but he was joined at his fire by a travelling man, who joined him in his camp and shared his fire. And the travelling man spoke to Benjamin and asked him to reveal the troubles of his heart and Benjamin would not do this, and so the man and Benjamin spoke long hours of talk. And at length from Benjamin was given the story of Najran and the judgement of Beth-Hoglah and of Benjamin there. And the man told Benjamin that his heart need not be troubled, for he was blameless of Najran's death, “for the evil of the world comes in all forms and guises and it is not for men to see or know it in all its garments, only G-d may see all evils.”

And Benjamin fell asleep while the man spoke and as he slept was taken by a great light, and was calm.

When he awoke the man had gone, and Benjamin realised that he had been speaking with an Angel of the Lord, and he was much astounded.

And Benjamin was known as The Blessed from that day onwards.

I love this writing style, it sounds so authentic it could be straight out of the Bible. Well done.

Thank you very much, I am certainly trying to replicate the Biblical style, glad that it seems to be working.

That was a good event for this AAR :laugh:

It was a good couple of events, the second one straight out of the Talmud infact, you really don't get that many events so the old narrative imagination has to start working.

Glad you are following, next chapter will be put up later today.

Chapter Ten

There was a man who came out of the wilderness of Gallilee like an illusion, a shape from the sand, and he was called the Ebionite because of his humility and because of his poverty and because of his love of G-d. He was a man greatly blessed of The Lord, for he knew in his heart every word of Torah, and Ketuvim and Neviim, though he could read no writing.

He came at times to Jerusalem, and also to Shiloh, at times of assembly, where all the people of Israel would gather, and people would come to hear him speak words to them. He was wise in scripture and many stories had he to tell, which made known to the lowly the will of G-d. The people loved him, and would offer him offerings wherever he went, but of these he would take none, save enough only for sustenance, saying, “I need no riches, and nor do you, for in the Kingdom of G-d there is no wealth, and there is no poor, each has that which he needs; such should it be made on earth.”

The people loved him and they called him Prophet and would follow him, but he would not accept the title, saying, “it is to my mind that the spirit of prophecy died with Micah, and that it has not yet been reborn in Israel, I come merely to remind you of what you already know, I come only to remind you to G-d.” But the people did not heed this, and they called him Prophet.

In the eighteenth year of the return, the Ebionite made known that he would return to the cities about the Sea of Chinneroth, which also was called Galilee, or Tiberias, and there he would go amongst the people and remember The Lord to them.

And the people cried out to him, “do not go to such a place, for it is wild and waste, and the people there do not worship G-d, and they will contrive to do you harm.”

But the Ebionite replied, “no harm shall come to me if I go to Chinneroth, neither the people in the fields, or in the towns, nor the animals in the wilderness shall do me harm, for they know the Lord in their own way, and worship him. They shall listen to all that I say, then I shall return to you.”

And so the Ebionite went forth along Jordan, up into the north, into the cities around Chinneroth, and the preached in Sepphoris, and Capernaum, and Migdoth and all the cities that lay around Chinneroth; and people came to listen to him, and they did him honour, and they did not offer him harm, and all was as he had said it would be.

Now the ruler of the cities around Chinneroth was Mu'nis, the Aljalikite, and he did not love G-d, nor hold faith with Israel. And he cared not for the piety of the Ebionite, for Mu'nis was a man impious.

So the Ebionite preached to the people of Chinneroth, and they hearkened to hear him, to listen and to learn from him. And this angered Mu'nis who ordered him seized and brought in chains before him.

And Mu'nis demanded that the Ebionite swear off his teachings and go out of the land, but the Ebionite refused. So Mu'nis ordered him to be stoned to death with stones.

But while he was being stoned to death with stones the Ebionite laughed and showed great merriment. And this angered Mu'nis further and bewildered those who looked on. And Mu'nis said to the Ebionite, “why do you laugh amidst your torment?”

And the Ebionite replied, “some men die of laughing, and some men laugh dying, your torment is nothing to me, for I have seen the Face of The Lord, and he has frowned upon you.” And then the Ebionite spoke no more words, and here he died.

When the Israelite heard what had happened to the Ebionite they were much angered, and rose up in wroth and went unto Benjamin and demanded that he let them go up against the people of Chinneroth and their king Mu'nis the Aljakite, and there bring war and slaughter and vengeance upon them. And Benjamin was troubled, for he desired peace and was loath to go to war again. But seeing the passions of the people he consented, and making offerings to G-d allowed the gathering of the hosts of Israel in the hill country about Jericho.

And the host of the Israelites gathered and armed themselves with arms, and swore oaths to avenge the Ebionite and to take possession of the lands about the sea of Chinneroth. But the heart of Benjamin was troubled.

This is probably my favourite AAR right now. You've got the Biblical style spot-on.

Thank you very much, that is good to hear.

Quite a short chapter today,
more narrative than gameplay,
I had some claims on some provinces and I needed some excuse to press them (from a narrative perspective) so I came up with the Ebionite character, in the game my chancellor was killed while out fabricating claims so it sort of follows.

Next chapter, Israel goes to WAR, (again)

I think it is really cool that you are trying to replicate the biblical style. Keep it up!

Thank you very much.

New chapter coming this weekend!!

I hope this AAR isn't dead :( this was one of my favourites!

Chapter Eleven

So the hosts of the armies of Israel gathered and went up against the men of Chinneroth and against the multitudes of Mu'nis, and this they did to avenge the death of the Ebionite, for he had been loved by all Israel, and his death was felt cruelly. All the hosts of the armies of Israel went forth, three thousand men, and they took with them chariots and bows of cedar wood and arrows of steel, and swords and all manner of weapon of war, all that the Kittim had left them, and all that they could find within their own lands.

Benjamin went at their head, and he led them, though his heart was troubled, and Benjamin led forth the host of Israel, three thousand men, and lay to invest the garrison cities of Nain and Beth-shan. The men of these cities despaired when they saw the massed multitudes of Israel, and they wept and fell prostrate upon the ground before the Israelites, and begged forgiveness for the death of the Ebionite, so cruelly slain, and Benjamin wished to raise them up and make them with peace, but the Israelites grew wroth and took them, all the men of Nain, and the men of Beth-shan and slew them with their swords, and the women of Nain also they took and slew with swords, and the women of Beth-shan also they took and slew with swords, but the children of Nain and Beth-shan were not slain with the swords, but instead were taken to Yerushalem, there to serve in the houses of the Israelites as servants. And the Israelites brought fire into the cities of Nain and Beth-shan and they were destroyed, and ruined, and laid waste unto.

The Israelites plundered the cities of Nain and Beth-shan and all the villages around, even unto the very shores of Chinneroth, but Mu'nis would not come forth to tangle with them, and hid himself ever behind the walls of Sephoris, fearful. And the Israelites took the plunder from the cities of Nain and Beth-shan and all the villages around and made of it a burnt offering to the Lord. And Benjamin said over these things prayers and blessings, and in the midst of triumph his heart was troubled.

Now it was that food grew scarce in Chinneroth and in Tiberius, and in Galilee, for these were the wages of the despoilation, and G-d sent famine into the land.

In Sephoris the people cried forth in agony and suffering, for they starved, from King Mu'nis on his throne, to the lowliest slave in his yards, from the first born of the Vizier to the last born of the pigs in the sty, all suffered and cried out to the Lord for deliverance. But the Lord would not heed them, for He wished it that Israel would avenge the Ebionite, and would not come to the aid of the people of Chinneroth, and nor would while they held to Mu'nis the Aljakite. But to Israel came bounty, and the harvest was full, and from the sea came the ships of trade, into Ashkelon, and from Gath and Gaza, all the trades of the west came into Israel. And of these the Lord received his share of offerings.

Benjamin held strong the siege of Sephoris, though he longed not to slaughter, and he watched as the people of Sephoris grew lean, and he watched as they repented, and he watched how they wailed, and he watched and longed that he could deliver them from his siege. But this he could not do, for the cries of vengeance were loud, and the calls for clemency mute, and the men of Sephoris even now would not render up unto Israel those who had cast the stones upon the Ebionite, nor would they turn from King Mu'nis.

For three years the Israelites held fast the siege of Sephoris, and in this time were burned Capernaum and Migdoth and Cana and Nazareth, all to the ground, but still the men of Sephoris were stubborn.

G-d spoke into the heart of Jak'ran, a lord of Sephoris, and said to them, “see what I have caused to be, the might of Israel, this is the Might of the Lord you see and it will fall upon you like a hammer and you shall be smote, save only that you serve Me and do that which I bid you.”

And Jak'ran listened to what the Lord himself commanded.

On the light of Midnight, beneath the waxed moon, Jak'ran went forth with trusted men, and laid open the gates of Sephoris to the Israelites and through the gates they came with slaughter, but they spared the family of Jak'ran, and the servants of Jak'ran and the property of Jak'ran and the animals of Jak'ran and the slaves of Jak'ran. But they spared not the men of Sephoris who had cast the stones upon the Ebionite, these they took and sealed in a cave by the shores of the sea and held watch there, forty nights and days, until all had succumbed to hunger, seventy two men had succumbed to hunger, then the Israelites took the bodies of the seventy two men and hung them from the trees in sight of all others.

And Mu'nis the Aljakite was caught afoot in attempted flight, and he was captured and brought to Benjamin and the council of the Elders, and was made to hear judgement. And so Mu'nis the Aljakite was put to death with a spear, in the way of Gardarik, and justice was seen to have been done; and Benjamin presided as Judge over all that was done.

Now Chinneroth was brought to Israel, from the sea to the sea, the sea in the west to the sea in the east, all became that of Israel. And Jak'ran was raised up and made Lord of Sephoris, and swore oaths to obey the Israelites, and to honour the G-d of Israel, to honour Yahweh Shaboath.

All the hosts of Israel were dispersed and went back to their homes, and happy they were that the Ebionite had been avenged, and that the lands of Israel had grown larger and that G-d had promised this.

Israel grew wealthy and prosperous. Yet Benjamin's heart was troubled and reason for this he had, for across the wide sea, Basil watched the triumphs of the Israelites with envious eyes and slowly and surely he drew plans against them.

I hope this AAR isn't dead :( this was one of my favourites!

Better not be this AAR is a darn good one.

Not dead, but sleeping, and now Lazarus like it returns.

Apologies for the long delay, I had many RL concerns, more courses at my school than I expected, shouldn't complain, popularity is good for business, but it left me little time for concentrated fun activities, but that is life I suppose.

Enjoy

It seems I picked a good time to read through, just after an update.