• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

fukujinpickle

Sergeant
29 Badges
Mar 18, 2019
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
Playing a slower paced Three Leagues campaign where my only real goal is to unite the Swiss culture group and maybe take a bit of Swabian territory to build a prickly Alpine fortress republic. So far I had managed to ally Austria and conquer / vassalize Switzerland and Bregenz. So far so good.

Next looking to pick up Genevan territories, but the two closest provinces (Wallis and Waadt) were a bit of a mess. I believe the initially belonged to Savoy, though at some point Geneva proper gained control of both, while still being a Savoyard vassal. Then France and Burgundy tag teamed Savoy and Burgundy took Wallis and Waadt, but left Geneva (on which they have a permanent claim) independent. Okay, so I'll build up favours with Austria and then take Wallis/Waadt off Burgundy in a well timed war. No problem.

Then out of nowhere, some event fires in Burgundy. They decide that 'Naples will protect them', become a junior partner under Naples, and for some reason I can't fathom, Austria ends up just getting Wallis and Waadt. No claim, no war, just bam, they now belong to my only good ally / the emperor of the HRE.

Anyone have any idea what happened here? This clearly wasn't a demand for unlawful land, as they should have returned to Geneva (who still exists). After searching around, I think it might have to do with the revamped 'Burgundian inheritance' event, but I don't understand why those two provinces were transferred to Austria for seemingly no reason. Do I just have to fight Austria ally and piss off the entire HRE now? Any suggestions?
Screenshot (41).png

Playing a slower paced Three Leagues campaign where my only real goal is to unite the Swiss culture group and maybe take a bit of Swabian territory to build a prickly Alpine fortress republic. So far I had managed to ally Austria and conquer / vassalize Switzerland and Bregenz. So far so good.

Next looking to pick up Genevan territories, but the two closest provinces (Wallis and Waadt) were a bit of a mess. I believe the initially belonged to Savoy, though at some point Geneva proper gained control of both, while still being a Savoyard vassal. Then France and Burgundy tag teamed Savoy and Burgundy took Wallis and Waadt, but left Geneva (on which they have a permanent claim) independent. Okay, so I'll build up favours with Austria and then take Wallis/Waadt off Burgundy in a well timed war. No problem.

Then out of nowhere, some event fires in Burgundy. They decide that 'Naples will protect them', become a junior partner under Naples, and for some reason I can't fathom, Austria ends up just getting Wallis and Waadt. No claim, no war, just bam, they now belong to my only good ally / the emperor of the HRE.

Anyone have any idea what happened here? This clearly wasn't a demand for unlawful land, as they should have returned to Geneva (who still exists). After searching around, I think it might have to do with the revamped 'Burgundian inheritance' event, but I don't understand why those two provinces were transferred to Austria for seemingly no reason. Do I just have to fight Austria ally and piss off the entire HRE now? Any suggestions?View attachment 649887
The burgundian inheritance fired, and Naples gave up some HRE land

• 2Like
Reactions:

Anyone have any idea what happened here? This clearly wasn't a demand for unlawful land, as they should have returned to Geneva (who still exists). After searching around, I think it might have to do with the revamped 'Burgundian inheritance' event, but I don't understand why those two provinces were transferred to Austria for seemingly no reason. Do I just have to fight Austria ally and piss off the entire HRE now? Any suggestions?View attachment 649887
To answer how Geneva got those two provinces, savoy has an event fairly early on where Geneva either gets those two provinces or +50% liberty desire; I found a good way to game the system as Savoy is to give the livestock monopoly before choosing the give provinces option since they are Savoy's only two livestock provinces and the monopoly will instantly revoke.
As for Austria getting the provinces, yes, that is the Burgundian Inheritance. There are a whole lot of threads explaining it on the forum.

Reactions:
To answer how Geneva got those two provinces, savoy has an event fairly early on where Geneva either gets those two provinces or +50% liberty desire; I found a good way to game the system as Savoy is to give the livestock monopoly before choosing the give provinces option since they are Savoy's only two livestock provinces and the monopoly will instantly revoke.
As for Austria getting the provinces, yes, that is the Burgundian Inheritance. There are a whole lot of threads explaining it on the forum.

Okay, thanks. I figured it was something like that (only my second game, so I'm still wrapping my head around all the events). Any suggestions on how to proceed? I was eventually going to fight Austria at some point for the gold mine in Inntal, but I'm really in no position to do that any time soon. I thought about trying to suck up to France, but I rather boneheadedly rivaled their ally Provence (in addition to being allied to their other rival Austria) so that's out for a good while. Apart from that I have a bunch of shitty one and two province allies in the HRE.

Okay, thanks. I figured it was something like that (only my second game, so I'm still wrapping my head around all the events). Any suggestions on how to proceed? I was eventually going to fight Austria at some point for the gold mine in Inntal, but I'm really in no position to do that any time soon. I thought about trying to suck up to France, but I rather boneheadedly rivaled their ally Provence (in addition to being allied to their other rival Austria) so that's out for a good while. Apart from that I have a bunch of shitty one and two province allies in the HRE.
Either turtle your way into late game and hope something happens or restart with the knowledge that this is a possibility. Or try to ally the Ottomans, Ottomans stronk..

Reactions: